Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:04   #346
BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
These are a few pictures of the gloss I have acheived. It can be better with ultima paint guard plus.
Hi urban legand...your F30 looks amazing. As a prospective white F30 buyer I am also keen to understand how often you detail the car (shampoo + wax + buff + polish) etc. I am completely new to this!!

Did you also install any paint guard to bumpers etc (e.g. 3M plaint ptotector film)?

Any other advice on maintaining such a great finish or any person i can get this done at a reasonable cost?

PS: my building water is not the greatest! I live in Mumbai.
Old 22nd April 2015, 15:34   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
This Sunday I washed my car with shampoo and after that applied Collinite 845 and the result was amazing. Come Monday after the car was parked on a busy road all day I find that the silky waxy effect which I had felt after application of Collinite 845 is reduced and already dust is catching. What can I do to make my efforts last longer than a day.
Collinite 845 is not exactly known for it's super slickness. Of course just after application the slickness would be maximum.
You said you have parked your car on a busy road. So obviously dust would have settled and affected the slickness. Wash the car with a very mild wash mix(higher concentration of car washes affect the wax) and test the slickness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I found that after C845, my car would actually catch more dust than without it. I spoke to a professional detailer who stays near my house. He said this might be because the paint surface is not decontaminated. Claying the car before waxing should reduce the problem. I have myself not tried this yet...
Catching dust is not related to de contamination in any way.

Decontamination will help in -

1. Effective bonding of the sealant leading to longer life
2. Smooth and slick surface for a longer time
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:34   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish69 View Post
Hi urban legand...your F30 looks amazing. As a prospective white F30 buyer I am also keen to understand how often you detail the car (shampoo + wax + buff + polish) etc. I am completely new to this!!
Did you also install any paint guard to bumpers etc (e.g. 3M plaint ptotector film)?
Any other advice on maintaining such a great finish or any person i can get this done at a reasonable cost?
PS: my building water is not the greatest! I live in Mumbai.
Thanks krish. This is the protocol I am following( any suggestions from more experienced members are welcome)
1. Dust car twice everyday with a jopasu duster or microfibre cloth. I dont get my car washed everyday as i feel washing is quite damaging for the paint if done incorrectly.
2. Wash car with plain water once or maximum twice a week and wipe off with a microfibre cloth
3. Wash car with a ph neutral shampoo once every 2 weeks
4. Once a month I do a minor detailing job involving -removal of tar marks etc, shampoo wash and wax with a liquid wax
5. Once in 3 months i do a major detailing job involving-paint preparation, shampoo wash , 2 coats of wax and a sealant

I have not installed the 3 M protective film as they themselves do not recommend it for white cars. It seems it turns yellowish after some time so the bumpers and mirrors will look yellowish.

I used to take my older car to professional detailers like 3 M but I realised that its equally time consuming and much more expensive considering the end result. It makes more sense to do it myself although its physically exhausting to do the major detailing job alone.
Old 30th June 2015, 12:26   #349
BHPian

Hello
I am writing this post hoping to enquire if anyone on the forum have used the products from "croft gate" I guess they are waterless wash and wax products !
I've had this franchise by the name " road affair" using it ! They are charging about 900₹/month for daily cleaning of the car with products from "croft gate".
I must say that the finish is much better than the usual bucket water method!
Old 30th June 2015, 22:40   #350
BHPian

What's OCW being referred to here ?

Of late I find myself looking up exotic/funny sounding names of car care products - Poorboy's , Wolfgang, Dodojuice for example, some of which priced as much INR 8000+ for a small tin.
Then there are special wax/sealant types like 3M's black wax, or Poorboy's Black Hole, 3M's white wax.

Has anyone used these and if so, how effective and long lasting are they, under our Indian conditions - high heat, humidity and rain ? Or for that matter, durability after being washed by hired help even other day ?

So far, I've been using F1 carnauba about to get over, just ordered 3M creme wax and have bottle of Collinite 845.
Old 1st July 2015, 01:26   #351
BHPian

Just a disclamer before I start. This is not about cars and has to do more with my bike.
I use a Muc Off Nano Tech bike cleaner to wash the bike and then follow that up with a Formula 1 Carnauba wax polish every time I clean the bike. This is at least once in two weeks.
My question is, how frequently do I need to use the Formula 1 Carnauba wax polish? Do I use it everytime I wash the bike or will using it once every 3-4 washes suffice? Everytime I wash the bike, I use the Muc Off bike cleaner and won't that remove all the wax that was applied earlier? Do I use only water for all subsequent washes and use the bike cleaner and wax once in 2 months or so?
Old 1st July 2015, 15:30   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Just a disclamer before I start. This is not about cars and has to do more with my bike.
I use a Muc Off Nano Tech bike cleaner to wash the bike and then follow that up with a Formula 1 Carnauba wax polish every time I clean the bike. This is at least once in two weeks.
My question is, how frequently do I need to use the Formula 1 Carnauba wax polish? Do I use it everytime I wash the bike or will using it once every 3-4 washes suffice? Everytime I wash the bike, I use the Muc Off bike cleaner and won't that remove all the wax that was applied earlier? Do I use only water for all subsequent washes and use the bike cleaner and wax once in 2 months or so?
A good shampoo should not strip wax. I don't think you need to apply after every wash. Re-applying the carnauba every month would probably be a good idea IMO.
dumdum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 20:11   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Wax once a month .

If you use the mucoff in the dilution recommend by the manufacturer then it should not strip the wax. However every wash will weaken the wax.
Old 1st July 2015, 21:46   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
What's OCW being referred to here ?
OCW = Optimum Car Wax. I have been using it and I am very happy with the convenience and its longevity. Its a spray wax - just spray and spread with a microfiber towel.
It lasts atleast 3 months on my car, but I use my car only once or twice a week, and keep it covered usually. The small bottle gives 5 applications on my car - hyundai Accent.

But now I am tempted to try Collinite. just for a change.
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 22:51   #355
BHPian

Quote:
My question is, how frequently do I need to use the Formula 1 Carnauba wax polish? Do I use it everytime I wash the bike or will using it once every 3-4 washes suffice?
While I used to always wax my bike after a wash, I did get lazy in last couple of years, but slowly getting back to if-wash-then-wax principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
A good shampoo should not strip wax. I don't think you need to apply after every wash. Re-applying the carnauba every month would probably be a good idea IMO.
I'm confused. I thought the very purpose of shampoo is to wash off stuff and hence it's functionally a detergent - excluding the combined wash-and-wax products, which I reckon will not do either job as well as one-function products. Besides, any wax coat is but a few microns thin, I wouldn't expect it to last a proper shampoo/wet pressure wash. That is why hardier products like lacquer exist, isn't it?

I have read high praise for Collinite 845 and how it lasts 5-6 months or more, so I bought it and used it once. Still to take the bike out since the coat , but honestly, I don't expect more than a couple of weeks out of it given , if I used it on the car which is washed once/twice a week by hired help, so not much precautions to avoid stripping wax/sealant.
Old 5th July 2015, 13:02   #356
BHPian

Hi,
I didn't know where to ask this so I'm posting it here. I've been looking for 3M Finesse it rubbing compound but couldn't find it in local stores. There is an website who has this product listed.

https://www.industrybuying.com/dp/3m...FQ0njgodzZYAzg

Can anybody confirm if I can trust the site. Should I order it from here. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th July 2015, 15:47   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Hi,
I didn't know where to ask this so I'm posting it here. I've been looking for 3M Finesse it rubbing compound but couldn't find it in local stores. There is an website who has this product listed.

https://www.industrybuying.com/dp/3m...FQ0njgodzZYAzg

Can anybody confirm if I can trust the site. Should I order it from here. Thanks in advance.
industrybuying is a trusted site although they are slow to ship the goods.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 13:26   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
While I used to always wax my bike after a wash, I did get lazy in last couple of years, but slowly getting back to if-wash-then-wax principle.

I'm confused. I thought the very purpose of shampoo is to wash off stuff and hence it's functionally a detergent - excluding the combined wash-and-wax products, which I reckon will not do either job as well as one-function products. Besides, any wax coat is but a few microns thin, I wouldn't expect it to last a proper shampoo/wet pressure wash. That is why hardier products like lacquer exist, isn't it?

I have read high praise for Collinite 845 and how it lasts 5-6 months or more, so I bought it and used it once. Still to take the bike out since the coat , but honestly, I don't expect more than a couple of weeks out of it given , if I used it on the car which is washed once/twice a week by hired help, so not much precautions to avoid stripping wax/sealant.
Touche. What you point out does make sense but does that mean I've been washing my wax away the same week I put it on? My cars get foamed down and pressure washed twice a week
Old 12th August 2015, 22:21   #359
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a Exotica Red Punto Evo, and expected protecting the paint is turning out to be a nightmare. Needed some help in purchasing Clay + wax + sealant from you folks.

> The car hasn't been waxed or polished since I purchased it 2 weeks back
> I use a cover everyday, so that's adding to the swirls slowly.
> There is a layer of some crappy polish that the dealer applied, it doesn't bead water and there is not much of gloss.
> I do not let the security wash the car, I clean it myself every week.
> My ex was a Silver Liva, which was easier to maintain, I would wash with Formula1 Wash & wax and polish with Formula1 Carnuba wax once a month. and Every 2 weeks, I used to apply Formula1 Fast wax spray and wipe it off. The gloss was good. I know Formula 1 isnt that great, but these were atleast genuine since I bought from a known source. And since it was silver, wasn't really worried about the product.

Now, with the red, dont wanna take a risk. I have read this entire thread but confused what product to buy. I will be polishing by hand, I initially thought will go ahead with Meg NXT 2.0 / Meg 26 and Megs Quick detailing spray for in-between wax cycles. Was also thinking of Collinite 845. I am look for a deep warm glow and wet look. I dont want the car to be over glossy.

1. Do I need a Wax and sealant ? or just one would do ?
2. Which wax and Sealant combo would you recommend?
3. Which clay should I buy ? Soft or Regular ? any brand suggestions ?
4. Can I use water as the lubricant while claying ?
5. I have a can of Formula1 Carnuba wax (liquid), should I use it till its over ? will it introduce new swirls ?
6. I also, have a can of F1 wash and Wax, should I dump it or use it with the new wax if I am buying them ?
7. When your jopasu duster gets a bit dirty, do you clean them or dump them for a new one ? (dumb question I know)

Apologies for the flurry or question, just that most of my previous vehicles have been silver/white/beige colors, so a bit paranoid with the Red one now..
Old 20th August 2015, 14:30   #360

I am a proud owner of red punto evo too . When I got the car, I had the similar questions. I browsed through numerous threads and gathered lot of information on detailing. Now my Punto looks great. I will try to answer your question based on my experience and from the knowledge gathered from TBHP.

Quote:
1. Do I need a Wax and sealant ? or just one would do ?
You don't need wax and sealant. Some people like to apply sealant first and then wax on top of it. Sealant looks more glossy while wax brings more color depth.
You can easily get CarPro Reload online. Its very easy to apply and looks great. Just spray and wipe off. I got mine from ultimatedetailerz.

Quote:
2. Which wax and Sealant combo would you recommend?
So far I have used only CarPro Reload. But in near future I will buy Collinite 845

Quote:
3. Which clay should I buy ? Soft or Regular ? any brand suggestions ?
Right now I am using CarPro polyshave block which is a polymer based clay.

Quote:
4. Can I use water as the lubricant while claying ?
Better use a Quick detailer such as Optimum No Rinse. It will never hurt the paint while claying.

Quote:
5. I have a can of Formula1 Carnuba wax (liquid), should I use it till its over ? will it introduce new swirls ?
As far as I know application of any wax will not introduce new swirls. But use of regular car cover, use of any fabric which is not microfibre and improper washing habits definitely will.

Quote:
6. I also, have a can of F1 wash and Wax, should I dump it or use it with the new wax if I am buying them ?
Not sure about F1 wash and wax. I dont think it will hurt the paint. Better try Collinite 845. It is not too costly, gives you better look and it will last long.

Quote:
7. When your jopasu duster gets a bit dirty, do you clean them or dump them for a new one ? (dumb question I know)
No need to replace the jopasu duster if it gets dirty. Only replace it if it doesn't lift dirt.
Jopasu is really durable and it should last at least a year or two before replacement.

Hope this helps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks