Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 01:31   #331
BHPian

First Detailing Experience - claying failure

I did my first detailing session today to my two month old car. Before going into I will mention the products used:
  • Rinseless wash cum quick detailer cum claying lubricant - ONR wash and shine
  • Shampoo - Sonax gloss shampoo
  • Microfiber wash mitt - Meguiars
  • Claying foam - Optimum Opti-eraser fine grade
  • Carnauba wax - Colinite 845
  • Wax applicator - Duragloss
  • Dashboard polish - Turtlewax
  • Tyre polish - Astonish
  • Microfiber towels
    • glass towel - Optimum
    • Cobra Bright Green Ultra Microfiber Towel
    • drying towel - Cobra Guzzler Waffle Weave Towel
    • 2 all purpose 350 gsm towels - one Eurow, one Jopasu
    • microfiber glove - Jopasu
  • Duster - Jopasu
  • Microfiber duster for the cabin - Spic & Span 360
  • A couple of empty sprayer bottles
  • Buckets

I got rid off the loose dirt with plain water at first. I had a Duragloss shampoo sachet (a free gift from an online merchant) which I used. Then cleaned up the whole car with the shampoo, using the two bucket method, and towel dried. In one or two parts, were some black dots (dirt) deeply bound to the paint which didn't go.

Now I did the claying hoping the black dots would go away. But the claying failed to remove them. In fact, I doubt if the claying procedure did any change to the paint. I could not see any change anywhere. I used a generous amount of claying lube and glided the claying foam to and fro across the paint surface, but in vain.

I sprayed water to wash off the claying lube and towel dried again.

Applied the wax, let it dry over 15 minutes and then buffed it. I am very happy with the results. The shine is spectacular.

Lesson learnt:
  1. Will add a small sitting tool as washing and waxing the lower parts of the car is back breaking.
  2. Despite best efforts, it is very difficult to clean parts like fenders, front grille with hands alone. I need a pressure wash, or a hose at least.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_05991.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_05901.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_06001.jpg  

Last edited by wishnipon : 27th January 2015 at 01:51.
Old 27th January 2015, 16:10   #332
BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

Hello wishnipon,

Glad to see another detailer from kolkata. My initial kit also consisted of some of the items that you bought e.g C845, eurow MF towel, Optimum Opti-eraser. I assume you bought these from bringingbest.in.
How is the Spic & Span 360?

The black dots might be paint or tars spot. Try a bit of WD40 or diesel.

What is this Astonish(Tyre polish) ?

Can we have pictures of the car post detailing.
Old 7th April 2015, 09:48   #333
Senior - BHPian

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428380015.149246.jpgAll about Car Waxes & Sealants-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428380032.335868.jpg

After cleaning with Sonax Wash and wax , before polishing

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428380074.838220.jpg
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428380095.783578.jpg

After polishing and a quick FK1000 layer

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428380144.389698.jpgAll about Car Waxes & Sealants-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428380160.613939.jpgAll about Car Waxes & Sealants-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428380182.141921.jpg

For Pedaltometal

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428380235.584002.jpg

Will do collinite 915 and tires tomorrow
Old 7th April 2015, 10:05   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
I've bought the smallest bottle of OCW (118 ml) so not sure if it'll be sufficient for 3 coats. I'll try to apply 2 coats atleast.
I agree with Sagar, this bottle will easily give 5 coats, because very less is needed to cover a panel. I even use it on the rims. Keeps them clean and shining too.
Old 9th April 2015, 10:19   #335
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Attachment 1357881Attachment 1357882

After cleaning with Sonax Wash and wax , before polishing

Attachment 1357883
Attachment 1357884

After polishing and a quick FK1000 layer

Attachment 1357885Attachment 1357886Attachment 1357887

For Pedaltometal

Attachment 1357888

Will do collinite 915 and tires tomorrow
Good results!! Looks neat, surely the C845 will add a better warm glow to the silver
Old 14th April 2015, 17:46   #336
BHPian

Dear fellow members I need advice about which paint sealant to choose. I have a dark grey coloured Verna which i would be detailing in a few days time. Now I have been following a 2 bucket wash method since the car is with me & till date thankfully there are no major swirl marks on the paint. I recently have bought a clay bar & used it on the surface but want to further detail the car. I have narrowed down to 2 products - Ultima Paint Guard Plus & Blackfire wet diamond spray sealant. Now 1 UPGP bottle is 4oz. & Blackfire comes in a 20oz. packing but the difference in price is not so much between the 2 products. Which of the 2 products would be better considering that this would be my first try at detailing & also keeping in mind the difference of quantities of the 2 products. Is UPGP significantly better than Blackfire? or do I need to first try my hands at some wax to perfect my detailing technique? I am looking for durability>gloss/shine>ease of application. All suggestions would be welcome

Regards
Old 14th April 2015, 18:28   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Dear fellow members I need advice about which paint sealant to choose. I have a dark grey coloured Verna which i would be detailing in a few days time. Now I have been following a 2 bucket wash method since the car is with me & till date thankfully there are no major swirl marks on the paint. I recently have bought a clay bar & used it on the surface but want to further detail the car. I have narrowed down to 2 products - Ultima Paint Guard Plus & Blackfire wet diamond spray sealant. Now 1 UPGP bottle is 4oz. & Blackfire comes in a 20oz. packing but the difference in price is not so much between the 2 products. Which of the 2 products would be better considering that this would be my first try at detailing & also keeping in mind the difference of quantities of the 2 products. Is UPGP significantly better than Blackfire? or do I need to first try my hands at some wax to perfect my detailing technique? I am looking for durability>gloss/shine>ease of application. All suggestions would be welcome

Regards
I've completed a detailing session on my white ride in the recent past and the report can be found here. Used Ultima Paint Guard Plus (UPGP) as the Last Stage Protection (LSP) and I must say that even though my ride is white coloured, UPGP worked wonders on the same. The ease of application, lesser curing time (45 minutes) and the wet slick look it offers at this particular price pint (Rs.1600 for 4Oz) makes it an excellent VFM product. As your ride is dark grey, no doubt that UPGP will leave you stunned with the results.

Never had my hands on Blackfire Wet Diamond, so can't comment about the effectiveness and longevity of the same. And yeah, a 4 Oz UPGP bottle can last you a long time as it claims to do 20 coats for a mid size sedan. Considering the case that a 3 layer coat will be durable for 4 months or so, just do the math and see how VFM this product will be
RiGOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 20:37   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
I've completed a detailing session on my white ride in the recent past and the report can be found here. Used Ultima Paint Guard Plus (UPGP) as the Last Stage Protection (LSP) and I must say that even though my ride is white coloured, UPGP worked wonders on the same. The ease of application, lesser curing time (45 minutes) and the wet slick look it offers at this particular price pint (Rs.1600 for 4Oz) makes it an excellent VFM product. As your ride is dark grey, no doubt that UPGP will leave you stunned with the results.

Never had my hands on Blackfire Wet Diamond, so can't comment about the effectiveness and longevity of the same. And yeah, a 4 Oz UPGP bottle can last you a long time as it claims to do 20 coats for a mid size sedan. Considering the case that a 3 layer coat will be durable for 4 months or so, just do the math and see how VFM this product will be
Your work is sure impressive I've read many praises about the UPGP & I am sure it'll give even better results on a dark coloured car. I was just apprehensive about the fact that I am new to detailing & have never waxed a car, so If or not I'll be able to properly use pro products like UPGP & the likes. By simple calculations Ultima Paint Guard sure is VFM. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 14th April 2015, 21:43   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
Your work is sure impressive I've read many praises about the UPGP & I am sure it'll give even better results on a dark coloured car. I was just apprehensive about the fact that I am new to detailing & have never waxed a car, so If or not I'll be able to properly use pro products like UPGP & the likes. By simple calculations Ultima Paint Guard sure is VFM. Thanks for the suggestion!
You can even layer UPGP with a couple of coats of Optimum Car Wax (OCW) which is an even better VFM option compared to UPGP. 4 Oz for just Rs.400 is a steal considering the shine and durability the the same offers. I had it on my ride for almost 4 months and the shine and water beading it offered was immaculate. IMO, you may go with OCW as the Last Stage Protection in the current detailing session and see how it fares. The shine is deep and warm. And if you want more slick and wet look, you can always go for UPGP
Old 20th April 2015, 11:45   #340
BHPian

I had a doubt regarding the hardware to be used. I have always been polishing and buffing my cars manually for the past few years as there is no provision for connecting any electrical device where I park my cars. However recently I have developed a shoulder problem due to which its' quite difficult to do it manually. Is there any device for buffing which can work without an electrical point? If so, can anyone provide the details please?
Old 21st April 2015, 17:42   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
I had a doubt regarding the hardware to be used. I have always been polishing and buffing my cars manually for the past few years as there is no provision for connecting any electrical device where I park my cars. However recently I have developed a shoulder problem due to which its' quite difficult to do it manually. Is there any device for buffing which can work without an electrical point? If so, can anyone provide the details please?
You can explore AutoRight C800886 Cordless Detailing Polisher, it is available on amazon.com although its bit expensive when you get it shipped to India. I got this 3 months back and have used it once only to buff my Swift after wax (paste) application and I was happy to see the result with almost no efforts.

As it is battery operated polisher so it really can't help to correct paint defects but does the good job when comes to buffing.

NOTE: I have no commercial interest with the seller.
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 17:56   #342
BHPian

This Sunday I washed my car with shampoo and after that applied Collinite 845 and the result was amazing. Come Monday after the car was parked on a busy road all day I find that the silky waxy effect which I had felt after application of Collinite 845 is reduced and already dust is catching. What can I do to make my efforts last longer than a day.
Old 21st April 2015, 18:44   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
This Sunday I washed my car with shampoo and after that applied Collinite 845 and the result was amazing. Come Monday after the car was parked on a busy road all day I find that the silky waxy effect which I had felt after application of Collinite 845 is reduced and already dust is catching. What can I do to make my efforts last longer than a day.
I found that after C845, my car would actually catch more dust than without it. I spoke to a professional detailer who stays near my house. He said this might be because the paint surface is not decontaminated. Claying the car before waxing should reduce the problem. I have myself not tried this yet...
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 04:28   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Come Monday after the car was parked on a busy road all day I find that the silky waxy effect which I had felt after application of Collinite 845 is reduced and already dust is catching. What can I do to make my efforts last longer than a day.
Waxes usually tend to attract more dust for few days after the application. It'll be fine after 1 or 2 washes.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:07   #345
BHPian

These are a few pictures of the gloss I have acheived. It can be better with ultima paint guard plus.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_20150419_140333804.jpg  

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-img_20150329_154713001_hdr.jpg  

urban legend is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks