Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 20:43   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about Car Waxes & Sealants

I'm planning to start my first detailing session this weekend. Could the experts here clarify if there would be any bonding issues if I apply Turtle Hard Shell Shine Car wax over ONR Wash & Wax. These are the only products available with me right now in addition to a few MF towels and a wash mitt. The vehicle in question is an Ecru beige WagonR.

Edit :
I had washed the vehicle with ONRWW earlier and found after a couple of days that it attracts dust like crazy. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited by longhorn : 5th November 2014 at 20:55.
Old 13th November 2014, 18:20   #317
BHPian

Have been using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax for some months on my year old car. Easy to use and gives a good shine with water beading. Doesn't last long though. Bought it before I found this thread.

Wondering whether to get a sealant like Carpro Reload, Collinite 815, UPGP or those from some other manufacturers and use that as a base for UQW.

What will be the best combination ?. The UQW I have will probably last for another 8-9 months.

As the surface is still quite smooth can I put off claying for a few months and instead use some cleaner for now ?.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Waxes & Sealants-20141107_071245.jpg  

Old 13th November 2014, 21:41   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Have been using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax for some months on my year old car. Easy to use and gives a good shine with water beading. Doesn't last long though. Bought it before I found this thread.

Wondering whether to get a sealant like Carpro Reload, Collinite 815, UPGP or those from some other manufacturers and use that as a base for UQW.

What will be the best combination ?. The UQW I have will probably last for another 8-9 months.

As the surface is still quite smooth can I put off claying for a few months and instead use some cleaner for now ?.
Get Ultima paint guard plus. One of the best sealant out there. Wipe on walk away and no need to buff. Check on eBay. Should be there
Old 15th November 2014, 02:08   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post

You can try Carpro Reload, Collinite 845. I use C845 and quite satisfied to not look for another yet. You can layer these sealants with a wax of your choice but that may not be required.

C845 lasts me 2-3 months. I havent tested it beyond this period, because I get impatient to test other products.

Claying is a once or twice a year affair. This depends on what sort of environment your paint surface is exposed to.

Claying and cleaners serve different purposes. One decontaminates the surface while the other preps the surface for sealant/wax application.
Myth_sx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 05:04   #320
BHPian

Re: FinishKare Hi Temp Paste Wax: an end-user review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
White needs a different process to make it shine, unfortunately the usual methods don't work so well.
Could you please elaborate?
Old 4th January 2015, 22:50   #321
BHPian

Planning to execute my first detailing session later this month. The ride is a Ford Classic (Diamond White) and main aim of detailing is to get that wet look with maximum reflection. Just placed order for Elastrofoam and OCW. Here's what I intend to do.

1. Wash with Amway Car Wash
2. Without drying the car completely, start cleaning with Elastrofoam using Proklear RAW Xtreme as clay lube
3. Wash the car with a 1:1 solution of IPA to strip off the existing F1 car wax
4. Dry the car thoroughly
5. Polish the car for minor swirl correction. Need advice on a good product here, Amway Silicone Glaze seems like a VFM option, will it be sufficient?
6. Buff off the polish and apply a coat of OCW.

Any changes required?

- How much time should I wait after the polish has been buffed off before I start applying the wax?
- Planning to leave out the sealant coat for now as I'm on a budget, is it okay?
- Is Amway SG sufficient for minor swirl correction?
- Should I go for a second coat of OCW?
- Finally, I've seen posts saying that white cars require a different method to get the maximum outta detailing, it it true?
Old 5th January 2015, 01:47   #322
BHPian

Polishing will strip the wax for you. IPA is not required.
You can try Meguiars UP. Its like a cleaner, mild-polish and glaze combined.

- Wax can be applied immediately after the polish.
- Sealant has more durability than wax, but its ok to skip.
- Havent used Amway SG, so cant comment on that.
- You can do a 2nd coat of OCW to ensure an even layer of wax.
- I have seen those posts too. Same question here
Myth_sx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 10:31   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Planning to execute my first detailing session later this month. The ride is a Ford Classic (Diamond White) and main aim of detailing is to get that wet look with maximum reflection. Just placed order for Elastrofoam and OCW. Here's what I intend to do.

1. Wash with Amway Car Wash
2. Without drying the car completely, start cleaning with Elastrofoam using Proklear RAW Xtreme as clay lube
3. Wash the car with a 1:1 solution of IPA to strip off the existing F1 car wax
4. Dry the car thoroughly
5. Polish the car for minor swirl correction. Need advice on a good product here, Amway Silicone Glaze seems like a VFM option, will it be sufficient?
6. Buff off the polish and apply a coat of OCW.

Any changes required?

- How much time should I wait after the polish has been buffed off before I start applying the wax?
- Planning to leave out the sealant coat for now as I'm on a budget, is it okay?
- Is Amway SG sufficient for minor swirl correction?
- Should I go for a second coat of OCW?
- Finally, I've seen posts saying that white cars require a different method to get the maximum outta detailing, it it true?
From my personal experience detailing the whole car from beginning will take atleast 2 full days. I usually split the job as follows

Day 1- Wash , Clay , Compound
Day 2 - Polish/Glaze, Sealant.

If you do not have machine do not bother to compound. You will not be able to correct the swirls by hand. Go to Polish/Glaze directly.

Amway glaze will not give any correction. Glaze is for filling minor swirls and scratches and give a glossy look.

No need for IPA wipedown if you are not applying coatings. Polishing oil and glaze give the gloss to the paint. So if you apply glaze and do a IPA wipedown then you are basically removing whatever you have done in the previous step.Claying and polishing will remove the existing F1 wax.

I would suggest a sealant rather than a wax(Collinite being an exception) in Indian conditions. Wax wont last more than a couple of weeks. Apply wax/sealant with manufacturer recommended curing time between coats. From my experience 3 coats of sealant give the max protection in terms of durability. Or, you can also try 2 coats of sealant followed by 1 coat of wax. Since you do not have a sealant, 3 coats of OCW is highly recommended.

White cars are tricky in the sense you cannot get the pop that one gets from metallic paint. Before and after results will not be significant if your car was relatively clean before you start detailing
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 12:08   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please post pictures on how bad the swirls are and are you going to be polishing by hand or machine? Plus whats your budget to spend on a polish/compound?

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 5th January 2015 at 12:36.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 12:55   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Go to Polish/Glaze directly.

Amway glaze will not give any correction. Glaze is for filling minor swirls and scratches and give a glossy look.
Quote:
Please post pictures on how bad the swirls are and are you going to be polishing by hand or machine? Plus whats your budget to spend on a polish/compound?
I'll be polishing by hand. As I've taken good care while washing the swirls are minimal and hardly noticeable, but they're still there. So the polish does a 2 in 1 job of swirl correction as well as stripping off the existing wax? As the swirls are minimal, if I avoid polishing, then IPA is the only means to strip off the F1 coat right?

Quote:
I would suggest a sealant rather than a wax(Collinite being an exception) in Indian conditions. Wax wont last more than a couple of weeks. Apply wax/sealant with manufacturer recommended curing time between coats. From my experience 3 coats of sealant give the max protection in terms of durability. Or, you can also try 2 coats of sealant followed by 1 coat of wax. Since you do not have a sealant, 3 coats of OCW is highly recommended.
Just 2 weeks from OCW? I went for the product with eyes closed after reading a user review from Gearheads wherein a single coat of the product lasted for almost 4 months, after thorough surface preparation of course. If I'm planning for a sealant, which one is the best? UPGP layered with OCW?

Quote:
I've already spend quite some cash on Elastrofoam and OCW. Was planning to buy Amway SG for polishing as the same is cheap, but will it serve the purpose of stripping down the polish and minor swirl correction? If not, which is the cheapest product available for that purpose? I'll post a pic of the swirls once I get home.
Old 5th January 2015, 14:03   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll be polishing by hand. As I've taken good care while washing the swirls are minimal and hardly noticeable, but they're still there. So the polish does a 2 in 1 job of swirl correction as well as stripping off the existing wax? As the swirls are minimal, if I avoid polishing, then IPA is the only means to strip off the F1 coat right?
Polish with hand will barely remove any swirls. So you might as well use the existing polish with you to remove existing wax.

Quote:
I've already spend quite some cash on Elastrofoam and OCW. Was planning to buy Amway SG for polishing as the same is cheap, but will it serve the purpose of stripping down the polish and minor swirl correction? If not, which is the cheapest product available for that purpose? I'll post a pic of the swirls once I get home.
We can only advise once we see pictures. My guess as of now, the Amway glaze will be ineffective.

Light coloured cars like white can hide swirls very nicely. While the positive outcome is that any swirls are barely visible, the negative effect is that the swirls visible are usually worse than similar swirls found on dark coloured cars.
Old 5th January 2015, 19:44   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Polish with hand will barely remove any swirls. So you might as well use the existing polish with you to remove existing wax.
Existing polish? Didn't get you mate, the only product I've got in hand right now is the F1 wax.

Quote:
We can only advise once we see pictures. My guess as of now, the Amway glaze will be ineffective. Light coloured cars like white can hide swirls very nicely. While the positive outcome is that any swirls are barely visible, the negative effect is that the swirls visible are usually worse than similar swirls found on dark coloured cars.
Tried to click some pics of the minor swirls but as I said earlier, they're hardly noticeable and I think no swirl correction is needed for the time being.

Posting some pics of the ride :

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-polish-1.jpg

All about Car Waxes & Sealants-polish-2.jpg

So as the polishing step is set aside, IPA must be used for stripping down the wax right? Or will using the Elastrofoam block take care of it?

EDIT : Has anyone here used dishwash soap to strip off the existing wax? Is it safe?

Last edited by RiGOD : 5th January 2015 at 20:00.
Old 5th January 2015, 20:44   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't get confused so much.

Claying will remove the existing wax. Elastrofoam will remove the existing wax so do not worry about it much.

Now, even if you spend 1 hour on one panel to remove the swirls using amway glaze it won't do any difference. It is a glaze. It's job is to fill the minor swirls and scratches. It has no abrasives to cut. Even if to you have a compound it's impossible to remove the swirls by hand. So do not waste your effort there.

I was talking about waxes in general. My experience is with dodo juice waxes and few lesser known ones. OCW is definitely better and will last much longer. 3 coats will give you proper coverage and maximum protection and shine. Since you will be applying glaze before wax, the wax will seal the glaze between the paint and itself.

Remember each wash will slowly erode the glaze and the car will lose shine. Hence it is advisable to wash only if the car is very dirty. Else quick detailer using RAW and jopasu Duster should be sufficient.
Old 5th January 2015, 21:11   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Since you will be applying glaze before wax, the wax will seal the glaze between the paint and itself.

Remember each wash will slowly erode the glaze and the car will lose shine. Hence it is advisable to wash only if the car is very dirty. Else quick detailer using RAW and jopasu Duster should be sufficient.
Thanks for clearing the air there Sagar. I've not purchased the glaze yet. So as the swirls are minimal and this one being my first detailing session planning to go with claying and applying OCW alone. I've bought the smallest bottle of OCW (118 ml) so not sure if it'll be sufficient for 3 coats. I'll try to apply 2 coats atleast.
Old 5th January 2015, 21:33   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for clearing the air there Sagar. I've not purchased the glaze yet. So as the swirls are minimal and this one being my first detailing session planning to go with claying and applying OCW alone. I've bought the smallest bottle of OCW (118 ml) so not sure if it'll be sufficient for 3 coats. I'll try to apply 2 coats atleast.
That's also fine.

118ml is more than sufficient for 5 coats. Remember less is more when it comes to waxes and sealants. Key is to apply thin and even.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 5th January 2015 at 21:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks