Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2013, 23:47   #16
BHPian

re: Distilled Water : A scam running?

Hi everybody
Years back bought a local battery instead of branded one. It was for my Fiat with an AC
The seller was emphatic that I use ordinary tap water in the battery and I followed his advise. And the best part was that that the battery lasted for nearly 4 years.
Regards
Old 2nd June 2013, 23:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Distilled water is preferred because the conductivity of this water is less than 1 micromhos/sec, or in other words this is non conducting. Demineralized water is the best bet. Minerals in ordinary tap or well water, if used can cause deposits on the battery plates in the long run and cause shorting and this results in premature battery failure.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd June 2013 at 23:59.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 01:36   #18
BHPian

Similar thread was on my mind, but never found enough time to start it,
Good Job OP.

Recently Visited a friend's shop and he was having a 5Ltr Can attached to his Split A.C. Water drip Pipe.
I said are you collecting this water, he said this is equal to Distilled water and is best for his batteries too.

I was SHOCKED

moments later another friend arrived and was not surprised to see the Can, he said come to my shop I also have the same 5Ltr Cans rotating and I collect them for batteries and friends.

By now I was like Shocked, you people are killing your batteries and he laughed loudly and said, you know the battery dealer who's next to my shop I said Yes I know him, have taken battery water from him a few times but usually purchase from other shop due to he's more close and on way out of colony, he laughed again and said, he often comes and puts his 25 Ltr jerkin in my shop so it can be filled in a few days and he then sells the same to people asking fro Battery Water.

both friend said, Battery dealer claimed this is same as good pure/distilled water which we purchase, I said but battery water gives little Itch when touched with bare hands he says now you taking into deep, thats cause they use some SALT for faster evaporation while the A.C. Drip also has SALT sucked from human body.

I haven't tried this, but recently got another 5 Ltr Refill for Rs.30/-
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Similar thread was on my mind, but never found enough time to start it,
Good Job OP.

Recently Visited a friend's shop and he was having a 5Ltr Can attached to his Split A.C. Water drip Pipe.
I said are you collecting this water, he said this is equal to Distilled water and is best for his batteries too.

I was SHOCKED

moments later another friend arrived and was not surprised to see the Can, he said come to my shop I also have the same 5Ltr Cans rotating and I collect them for batteries and friends.

By now I was like Shocked, you people are killing your batteries and he laughed loudly and said, you know the battery dealer who's next to my shop I said Yes I know him, have taken battery water from him a few times but usually purchase from other shop due to he's more close and on way out of colony, he laughed again and said, he often comes and puts his 25 Ltr jerkin in my shop so it can be filled in a few days and he then sells the same to people asking fro Battery Water.

both friend said, Battery dealer claimed this is same as good pure/distilled water which we purchase, I said but battery water gives little Itch when touched with bare hands he says now you taking into deep, thats cause they use some SALT for faster evaporation while the A.C. Drip also has SALT sucked from human body.

I haven't tried this, but recently got another 5 Ltr Refill for Rs.30/-
In theory, your friends are right- it is distilled water since it is condensed from vapor. However, I assume some dust and dirt must get into the line because it's an air conditioner. But the quantity of impurities will be pretty small if the air conditioner is regularly used. Also, most of them store a bit of the water instead of discarding it immediately. Hence, a few more gases also dissolve in it, and then react with the metal components.

The itching you describe is not from distilled water- it is dilute sulfuric acid, the stuff that makes batteries work. You generally don't need to add this to a battery after the initial (first) fill.

EDIT: The water from the A/C line does not have human salt. And, if it is indeed "distilled" water, neither should the one sold by the battery dealer.

Last edited by RM2488 : 3rd June 2013 at 08:34. Reason: Forgot to add the salt point
RM2488 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yes, that's what most so called distilled water vendors are doing, adding saltpeter (and maybe even sulphur) to hot water to make a dilute solution known as battery water. Battery acid is approximately 35% sulfuric acid. True distilled water is available rarely at these vendors.

Never use these kind of so called distilled water anywhere except the battery, even where they usually cause more harm than good. For windshield fluid and coolant diluent, its best to use regular homemade RO water (or DM water as we may call it). Anything with a TDS value below 40ppm is acceptable for this kind of use. But for the battery try getting only pure distilled water only. Incidentally I get the distilled water from my factory where we use it for our manufacturing purposes for all my battery water needs at home, automotive and inverter.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Distilled water does not come that cheap (Rs.50/5 liter). We get lab quality distilled water in 1 liter bottles for Rs.25-30 per liter and is available at most of the large reputed spare-part shops.

I use distilled water to top-up battery and coolant only and filtered drinking water is used for windshield washer fluid.

Never get the batteries topped-up by the battery wallahs, most of them use ground water to top-up the electrolyte.
Do you mean you get lab quality distilled water at spare part shops? Can you let me know your source (we're from the same city)? My car will be out of warranty this July and I want to maintain little such things myself and also my suspicions about the car dealer's distilled water grows after reading this thread, especially after having the OEM battery fail in 2.5 years.
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:59   #22
BHPian

Re: Distilled Water : A scam running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
In theory, your friends are right- it is distilled water since it is condensed from vapor. However, I assume some dust and dirt must get into the line because it's an air conditioner. But the quantity of impurities will be pretty small if the air conditioner is regularly used. Also, most of them store a bit of the water instead of discarding it immediately. Hence, a few more gases also dissolve in it, and then react with the metal components.

The itching you describe is not from distilled water- it is dilute sulfuric acid, the stuff that makes batteries work. You generally don't need to add this to a battery after the initial (first) fill.

EDIT: The water from the A/C line does not have human salt. And, if it is indeed "distilled" water, neither should the one sold by the battery dealer.
thanks for the details, so I assume this can be used in Battery without causing damage.

My inverter battery have been recently topped up, but I am certainly trying the A.C. water next time its level goes down.

The Itching I was reffering to was result of hands on battery water purchased, may be its because either the sellers add a very little quantity or it comes dues to them touching batteries and acid frequently and touching the refill cans by hands not washed out completely.
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:02   #23

Quick question but why does anybody dilute their coolant? Most coolant has a higher heat absorbtion property than water and is mineral free so the more water you add the lower the heat absorbtion (I admit not by much though!). Every little helps.

We use 100% coolant in our cars and this gives slightly better heat perfromance and 100% gurantee that that there is no mineral disolved in the water. It might be a little more expensive to do it, but we think its worth it.
Chris C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:14   #24
BHPian

Wow!!

I know they use distilled water in batteries. But for coolant and windscreen washer??

The coolant, by itself, is designed to mix with water and operate as a lubricant for the water pump.

Besides, for the windscreen washer, in addition to the regular tap water, I also add some dishwash fluid. A far cry from the purity of the distilled water.

I think, other than in batteries, the DW does not really have much use, unless the regular tap water is so hard that it leaves deposits behind.
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

For the question, there could be a scam running. Distilled water can be found selling even in 500ml bottles with the roadside battery walas, hence there is a definite suspicion factor associated.

On another note, batteries and even coolants mixture are fine, but I have never used distilled water in my car's windshield washer container. And our city has a lot of iron content in water too, but thankfully, nothing bad has happened to the system until now.

I think the washer fluid does not require distilled water. May be if we are concerned about deposits and residues that normal water may leave behind in the container and the pipeline, may be we can discuss on using a descaling powder once in a while. Would like to invite more thoughts on this.
Regards,
Saket.
Old 3rd June 2013, 19:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
thanks for the details, so I assume this can be used in Battery without causing damage.

My inverter battery have been recently topped up, but I am certainly trying the A.C. water next time its level goes down.

The Itching I was reffering to was result of hands on battery water purchased, may be its because either the sellers add a very little quantity or it comes dues to them touching batteries and acid frequently and touching the refill cans by hands not washed out completely.
If the water itches/burns- it is battery acid. If the WATER does not, but touching the container does, then it is contamination as you have suggested.
Old 3rd June 2013, 19:48   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
Quick question but why does anybody dilute their coolant? Most coolant has a higher heat absorbtion property than water and is mineral free so the more water you add the lower the heat absorbtion (I admit not by much though!). Every little helps.

We use 100% coolant in our cars and this gives slightly better heat perfromance and 100% gurantee that that there is no mineral disolved in the water. It might be a little more expensive to do it, but we think its worth it.

That's an automotive blunder. If you are using 100% coolant, and the pack does not read that its premixed, then dear friend, you are not doing the right thing. Because, the actual coolant in the system is water and not the green/blue / pink thing.
Also, I wonder how is your car managing running in the safe temperature band, if your coolant pack is not premixed with water!
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:00   #28
BHPian

If I am not mistaken the pink/Blue/Green stuff is there to help in increasing the boiling point of the water and lower the freezing point during winter. So if the coolant is not marked "PREMIXED" then using only coolant would indeed be detrimental to the engine.
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
If I am not mistaken the pink/Blue/Green stuff is there to help in increasing the boiling point of the water and lower the freezing point during winter. So if the coolant is not marked "PREMIXED" then using only coolant would indeed be detrimental to the engine.
Absolutely! Hence, the stuff is not 'coolant', water is. Hence, if one is stuck in an emergency, 100% water can be used, but would need frequent top-ups as it will boil'and evaporate fast.

Coming back to the topic, how about using a descaling powder to clean the washer fluid tank?
Old 3rd June 2013, 21:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Absolutely! Hence, the stuff is not 'coolant', water is. Hence, if one is stuck in an emergency, 100% water can be used, but would need frequent top-ups as it will boil'and evaporate fast.

Coming back to the topic, how about using a descaling powder to clean the washer fluid tank?
Can you tell what exactly would be SAFE "Descaling powder" for use in windshield washer tank ?

I think using normal Filtered water is enough for washing the windshield, it can be R.O. or just the one processed by UV as in basic Aquaguard types.

For added effect, one can use little Colin in it, or add a cap of windshield detergent, which I once bought from petrol pump sales counter, it was yellowish liquid soap kinda thing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks