Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 11:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Now, we guys have started to see Automatics positively. Good.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:50   #77
BHPian

Advice needed regarding i10 Automatic

Team,

I am planning to buy an hatchback automatic for my wife, guess the only option is i10 auto.

Did a test drive of i10 kappa sportz last week, I could really feel the jerk between the gear changes, was not really happy with it. I was expecting it to be more smooth.

Owners who already own i10 auto please let me know if you feel the same or is it only with the test car.

Also let me know the FE, I was told by the sales guy that the i10 auto would give ~ 9kmpl

Many thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support: Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th January 2009 at 12:59. Reason: Search please
Old 5th January 2009, 13:00   #78
Team-BHP Support

Please search the forum and you will find information from other owners from i10 automatic.
Old 5th January 2009, 13:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

Other option are from hyundai only i.e. Santro AT
Old 5th January 2009, 15:46   #80
Senior - BHPian

Automatics might be the way of the future but give me a Manual Box any day!

The old complaint about automatics being sluggish does not really hold true anymore as often the automatics return better accelaration figures nowadays.

I might, when I am older and my arms do not function too well, buy an automatic. For now I will stick to a Manual Box for the simple reason that the manuals let you use engine deceleration for cornering etc. a feature that makes driving such a pleasure. The automatics, on the other hand, offer nil or negligible engine deceleration. This means that you have to use the brakes to slow the car down, leading to more wear and tear on the brakes, lower fuel efficiency and more wear and tear on the engine.

Most people in the automobile trade will also agree that automatic transmissions reduce engine life by a significant percentage. This is caused by the engine being run at slightly higher speeds at idling and due to wasted power during running and shifts.

Above all it is an emotional thing. The joy of driving would not be the same without the glorious feeling that - a perfectly executed gear change on a twisty road - gives you. Which automatic box can produce the lovely notes from under the bonnet (and exhaust) as the engine worked to slow the car down? And anyways, if I went in for an automatic - What would I do with my left leg (and arm)?
Old 5th January 2009, 16:32   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_alex View Post
Team,

Did a test drive of i10 kappa sportz last week, I could really feel the jerk between the gear changes, was not really happy with it. I was expecting it to be more smooth.

Also let me know the FE, I was told by the sales guy that the i10 auto would give ~ 9kmpl
Probably an issue with the test car, our 5-month old Magna auto shifts as smooth as any other automatic i've driven abroad.

FE is around 9 in bumper-bumper traffic, haven't checked otherwise.

My wife would happily recommend the i10 auto!
Old 5th January 2009, 17:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
And anyways, if I went in for an automatic - What would I do with my left leg (and arm)?
Well, I usually keep my left leg folded in a comfortable position on the seat.. and the arm assuming a position on the gear knob .. as if to change the imaginary gear.. although all it's used is to come from D to N when I stop anywhere, but I'm not complaining.
Old 5th January 2009, 18:33   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hugemongous dead pedal for my left leg and the spacious hand-rest-thingy for the left hand. Of course, when I'm testing the limits of grip, both hands on the steering wheel.
Old 5th January 2009, 20:49   #84
BHPian

well, driving an automatic frees your left hand to cuddle your girl friend in the other seat
Old 5th January 2009, 20:58   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I might, when I am older and my arms do not function too well, buy an automatic. For now I will stick to a Manual Box for the simple reason that the manuals let you use engine deceleration for cornering etc. a feature that makes driving such a pleasure. The automatics, on the other hand, offer nil or negligible engine deceleration. This means that you have to use the brakes to slow the car down, leading to more wear and tear on the brakes, lower fuel efficiency and more wear and tear on the engine.

Deceleration not possible in AT? Thanks for providing the hint.

I think. We should first list down differences between AT and MT in a realistic manner.
Old 5th January 2009, 21:04   #86
Senior - BHPian

Ravv hasn't driven paddle shift equipped cars it appears. With torque converter lockup, you get full engine breaking until the lowest RPMs where it starts to slip. Just downshift like you would in a manual and you'll get full engine breaking.
Old 6th January 2009, 01:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
well, driving an automatic frees your left hand to cuddle your girl friend in the other seat
Couldn't agree more with you on that point. While driving a manual in city traffic its so difficult to lay your hands on anything.

I have an AT and a MT. However its tough to say which one i prefer over the other. When I drive the MT, I'm like wow... nice shifting... However after a drive on Saturday evening to Yeshwantpur and back lasting a few hours I was like oh man, i should have taken the AT !!
Old 6th January 2009, 01:56   #88
BHPian

I agree with Immortalz.
I happened to drive around a friends 328i with paddle shift and I have grown such a liking to the AT. Comfort in complete auto mode and Controlled shift using paddles - way to go.
Old 6th January 2009, 07:19   #89
Team-BHP Support

I have owned 5 AT cars until now, Santro being the current one. Most people who are cribbing about AT are highlighting problems with weaker AT cars available in India, say below 10L. Once you taste 150+ HP automatic cars, all such feelings vanish.
Old 6th January 2009, 09:22   #90
BHPian

i have driven ATs abroad (with and without paddles, with and without cruise control) and have fallen in love with it. I am still waiting for a diesel AT car <10L to be launched here....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed