Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2013, 13:48   #31
BHPian

re: Cheapest to maintain? Mercedes vs BMW vs Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also what is the real deal behind BSI now? I am looking to pick up the 3 series, and BSI and the promise that I won't need to spend more than that was a big factor in that decision. But according to the posts above they seem to have changed a lot of stuff and now brakes etc are not covered under BSI, even though the cost of the package has been increased?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
BSI Ultimate is now called Service plus. Someone in BMW told me its just a name change, but on viewing their site it says Service plus covers everything Ultimate does, but the warranty does not get extended. So it covers all consumables, and even wear and tear parts like brake pads, etc.

But then again I don't know if the above is applicable in India, or it was actually just a name change.
BSI Ultimate has completely been discontinued. Now you only get the BSI plus which does not cover parts post the warranty period. So to get that cover, you need to buy an additional extended warranty package.

The Original BSI Packages have been described below. The highlighted text is the differentiator in each package

BMW Service Inclusive
Protect your investment with BMW Service Inclusive which covers all your maintenance and service costs offering total peace of mind
Benefits
We have three types of packages:-
v BSI Basic
v BSI Plus
v BSI Ultimate

BSI Basic offers replacement for Consumption Parts like
Ø Engine Oil
Ø Brake Oil
Ø Micro Filter
Ø Air Filter
Ø Fuel Filter
Ø Spark Plug
Ø Vehicle Check Service
Ø BSI Basic covered oil Top Ups (Engine oil & Brake Oil)

BSI Plus offers replacement for Consumption Parts like
Ø Engine Oil
Ø Brake Oil
Ø Micro Filter
Ø Air Filter
Ø Fuel Filter
Ø Spark Plug
Ø Vehicle Check Service
Ø Front & Rear Brake Pads
Ø Front & Rear Brake Disc
Ø Wiper Blades
Ø Clutch

BSI Ultimate offers replacement for Consumption Parts like
Ø Engine Oil
Ø Brake Oil
Ø Micro Filter
Ø Air Filter
Ø Fuel Filter
Ø Spark Plug
Ø Vehicle Check Service
Ø Front & Rear Brake Pads
Ø Front & Rear Brake Disc
Ø Wiper Blades
Ø Clutch
Repair beyond warranty period, this package will give you 1/3 years extended warranty and covered all wear & tear parts with labour cost.

Now if you see the attached image, the BSI ultimate has been discontinued, Instead all coverages exclusive to BSI Ultimate have been covered under extended warranty. I believe Labour costs aren't covered under any package now. BSI ultimate used to cover this.

In short BSI Service Plus + Extended Warranty = BSI Ultimate. And now it costs about 15% more than what BSI ultimate cost.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BSI Pricelist WEF 01st July, 2013.pdf (56.3 KB, 1133 views)

Last edited by Bluebeem : 19th October 2013 at 13:54.
Bluebeem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2013, 13:57   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

So according to that the total cost of a 5 year/60k kms plan for the 3 series is 3.03L. Still need to read the finer print as to what all is covered under warranty and also what you mentioned about labour costs not being covered. The labour cost must be a bomb with these premium car makers.

Also the 5 yr/ 1L kms plan is for 4.43L. Thats a cool 1.5L more for covering 40k additonal kms. Appears too steep to me and maybe reflects the companie's confidence in there own product and they expect a lot more things to go wrong and need replacement post 60k kms.

Last edited by drmohitg : 19th October 2013 at 14:07. Reason: text added
Old 20th October 2013, 02:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So according to that the total cost of a 5 year/60k kms plan for the 3 series is 3.03L. Still need to read the finer print as to what all is covered under warranty and also what you mentioned about labour costs not being covered. The labour cost must be a bomb with these premium car makers.

Also the 5 yr/ 1L kms plan is for 4.43L. Thats a cool 1.5L more for covering 40k additonal kms. Appears too steep to me and maybe reflects the companie's confidence in there own product and they expect a lot more things to go wrong and need replacement post 60k kms.
Considering the cost of parts, Labour should be a small portion of the repair costs. And let's hope it never comes to any repair situation. But do clarify how and when labour charges are applicable to u (and if they're applicable to u at all). No fun if you buy the BSI Service PLus and you're asked to pay 5-7k as labour cost for every service.

In any case, despite the astronomical costs, BSI is an absolute must have. From experience (mine and many friends and family) i can tell you, BSI will be every penny worth at the end of 5 years.

You can go for the cheaper 5yrs/60k KMS package and if u end up exhausting the 60k before the end of 5 years, u can extend it to 100k by simply paying the difference between the 2 packages. BMW also give u the option of buying the BSI anytime before your first service, so u dont necessarily have to include it in your initial budget for buying the car. You can always get the BSI a year later.
Old 31st October 2013, 10:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Do they actually provide these backup services (if included in service plan) during an emergency/breakdown?

Cheapest to maintain? Mercedes vs BMW vs Audi-ht.jpg

Source : Hindustan Times

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 13:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Do they actually provide these backup services (if included in service plan) during an emergency/breakdown?

Attachment 1160299

Source : Hindustan Times

Cheers!

Vinu
BMW has a package called roadside assistance, which provides some of the services mentioned in the article. Attaching the details below :

Cheapest to maintain? Mercedes vs BMW vs Audi-roadside-assistance.png
275BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 20:03   #36
BHPian

Audi has any options like BMW offering?
Old 7th January 2014, 12:56   #37
BHPian

Guys I need advise. I have 15 lacs to spend looking for a used Bmw 5 series choices are 2006 model 530d , 2008 model 520d , 2008 model 525d , 2008 model 530i . All within a lac here and there the gear shift on the 2006 model is different than on a 2008 model. Was there an update in between ? what are the pitfalls I should be worried about?
All mileages are above 60k to 90 k which should suit me as ia m looking for fun behind the wheel factor without burning a whole in my pocket. Plan to keep the car for a couple of years till i can afford a new one.
Old 7th January 2014, 13:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arihant jain View Post
Guys I need advise. I have 15 lacs to spend looking for a used Bmw 5 series choices are 2006 model 530d , 2008 model 520d , 2008 model 525d , 2008 model 530i . All within a lac here and there the gear shift on the 2006 model is different than on a 2008 model. Was there an update in between ? what are the pitfalls I should be worried about? All mileages are above 60k to 90 k which should suit me as ia m looking for fun behind the wheel factor without burning a whole in my pocket. Plan to keep the car for a couple of years till i can afford a new one.
I would advise you to stay away from 2nd hand diesels for 2 reasons.

1. Diesel majntanence is enormous in German cars. A friend spent 13 lacs on his 6 year old E280 last year. Id advise you to stay away from 2nd hand diesels. Petrol maintainence is cheaper.

2. You will get decently newer petrol models for the same price as diesels as resale value of petrol is very low. Ideally 20k km run petrol model should cost you same as a 50-60k km run diesel

Would strongly advise the 530i. Stay away from the 520d. It's not at all fun to drive.
Old 7th January 2014, 20:58   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys I need advise. I have 15 lacs to spend looking for a used Bmw 5 series choices are 2006 model 530d , 2008 model 520d , 2008 model 525d , 2008 model 530i . All within a lac here and there the gear shift on the 2006 model is different than on a 2008 model. Was there an update in between ? what are the pitfalls I should be worried about?
All mileages are above 60k to 90 k which should suit me as ia m looking for fun behind the wheel factor without burning a whole in my pocket. Plan to keep the car for a couple of years till i can afford a new one.
2006 would be pre facelift, and would be a private import. Stay away. What city are you in? Would recommend you get a 3 series since you can get a newer and less run one. Won't be quite as much fun as the 6 cylinder 5s but then you have to compromise on something for better reliability of cheaper running costs.
Old 7th January 2014, 21:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I would advise you to stay away from 2nd hand diesels for 2 reasons.

1. Diesel majntanence is enormous in German cars. A friend spent 13 lacs on his 6 year old E280 last year. Id advise you to stay away from 2nd hand diesels. Petrol maintainence is cheaper.

2. You will get decently newer petrol models for the same price as diesels as resale value of petrol is very low. Ideally 20k km run petrol model should cost you same as a 50-60k km run diesel

Would strongly advise the 530i. Stay away from the 520d. It's not at all fun to drive.
Thanks for the advise. Been searching all forums for some information on the timings of changes to the line up. seems there was an update to the idrive in 2009 and 530i had a very short lived run in India. Can you throw some light on that ?

Quote:
2006 would be pre facelift, and would be a private import. Stay away. What city are you in? Would recommend you get a 3 series since you can get a newer and less run one. Won't be quite as much fun as the 6 cylinder 5s but then you have to compromise on something for better reliability of cheaper running costs.
Thanks for the advise. Seems my heart is set on a 5 series. should I buy diesel or petrol ? Just found a 525i petrol for 11.5 lacs , 2009 model done about 70000 kms.
Old 7th January 2014, 21:32   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the advise. Seems my heart is set on a 5 series. should I buy diesel or petrol ? Just found a 525i petrol for 11.5 lacs , 2009 model done about 70000 kms.
2009 sometime saw the introduction of the CIC idrive from the older CCC version. For me this would be a great addition.

Your 525i seems low priced, if it sounds too good to be true - it is.

Honestly both are as good or bad as the other. Of course the mileage in petrols will be about half of the diesels when driving quick. I suggest you look for 530s either petrol or diesel and 2009 or later. If you are insistent on the 5 then do increase your budget a bit. A few lacs more can get you a newer lower run car. There is one 530d in Mumbai done 40k kms, and I am pretty sure it can be got for 19l.
Old 7th January 2014, 21:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
2009 sometime saw the introduction of the CIC idrive from the older CCC version. For me this would be a great addition.

Your 525i seems low priced, if it sounds too good to be true - it is.

Honestly both are as good or bad as the other. Of course the mileage in petrols will be about half of the diesels when driving quick. I suggest you look for 530s either petrol or diesel and 2009 or later. If you are insistent on the 5 then do increase your budget a bit. A few lacs more can get you a newer lower run car. There is one 530d in Mumbai done 40k kms, and I am pretty sure it can be got for 19l.
Thanks for the response buddy.Please send me details of the car if available online been searching all the sites and saw a 530d from mumbai for 1750000 aug 2008. 3 rd owner. I am sure its negotiable. will shop around for the best deal. cheers!
Old 8th January 2014, 00:33   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the response buddy.Please send me details of the car if available online been searching all the sites and saw a 530d from mumbai for 1750000 aug 2008. 3 rd owner. I am sure its negotiable. will shop around for the best deal. cheers!
Here is the car
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...eries-D531599/

Seems to be in decent condition, but has been on sale for a while so I think you can bargain.
Old 18th January 2014, 07:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Here is the car
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...eries-D531599/

Seems to be in decent condition, but has been on sale for a while so I think you can bargain.
Hey thanks to you I found an audi A4 2008 at the same dealer for 13 lacs. Its red in colour and seems to be in very good condition. I am not too much into the power factor hence loved it. If you are in Mumbai and have time I would like your opinion on it. Cheers!
Old 27th February 2014, 11:05   #45
BHPian

Need some urgent info. Does BMW sell only the extended warranty as a stand alone package or does one compulsorily need to buy a BSI package to get extended warranty benefits?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks