Old 19th October 2015, 09:03   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "My Car Won't Start" | What To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
What could be the reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Open battery terminals and clean up the inside and out then back.
Also the check the ground wire where it is bolted on to the chassis/engine.
Old 19th October 2015, 16:05   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Open battery terminals and clean up the inside and out then back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Also the check the ground wire where it is bolted on to the chassis/engine.
Took the car to MASS. The problem was diagnosed as a broken bolt holding the positive terminal attached to battery. Everything was done in less than 15 mins. Also got a OBD check up done. All is well it seems.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 16:55   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Near enough @BoneCollector. Symptoms described pointed towards battery not securely connected
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 18:04   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My 2012 Wagon R Vxi ABS has got a peculiar problem that started exactly a week back. The car remote did not work and I had to open it manually. The ignition was dead and none of the lights in dash lit up. I opened the bonnet and checked all battery terminals and other visible issues. There were none that I could make out. I called up my friendly MASS who said they'll send an electrician at home but after 2pm as he had gone for some skill competition and would be back by then. Then I got busy with other work. After around 15 minutes, Dad went and cranked the engine and it fired in first go!! There was nothing that we could make out. The electrician came and checked, he could find nothing with even the battery. The car ran well till yesterday when the same issue cropped up but it again started after 5 minutes. Car ran well till evening when while driving it, the brakes and engine started flashing at random- irregular intervals. I'm taking the car for a thorough check today. Hopefully there should be some resolution. What could be the reason?
Happened to me. The reason was the cable-battery clamp joint. The cablet was loose inside the socket. Check it, if loose, then, pull the cable out of the connector socket, clean it with sandpaper, clean the socket inside, push the cable in firmly and tighten the screws on the socket.
Old 28th October 2015, 09:39   #365
BHPian

Was on the way to work at Bagmane Tech Park today morning, around 7:45 AM. Turned into Suranjan Das Road and was doing about 60 kmph, when the engine abruptly cut off. Was able to shift down to neutral, coast for some distance, pull over and stop, without causing issues to fellow road users. I know that the road will get crowded in about 15 mins.

Once I had stopped the car and switched on hazards and propped up the warning triangle, popped the bonnet and looked for any visible issues. Nothing. Got back into the car and tried cranking. The starter motor was turning over, but the engine wouldn't fire. The way the car stopped was as if the fuel supply was cut off. So, switched off the ACC and the radio and then turned the key to MAR. The hissing noise of the fuel pump was absent.

Could be one of three issues -
  • Fuse blown
  • Relay gone bad
  • Fuel pump conked off

The first two are minor and can be fixed easily, but the third would be expensive. So, rolled up my sleeves and first checked F21 in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Fuse was fine. Next, was the relay. Fuel pump relay is the one in the middle of the three relays on the left, when you stand facing the car. Pulled that out and swapped with the lone relay right in the front (ACC Relay). Got back into the car and turned key to MAR and heard the familiar and comforting hissing sound of the fuel pump. Cranked and the engine came to life

Did not want to be without ACC till I get a replacement relay. So pulled out the fog light relay - the first one on the right hand side - and inserted that into ACC. Left the defective relay out. Now the fog lights won't come on, but I never use them anyway.

Total downtime - 15 minutes. Pays to understand how the car works and to not be afraid of getting one's hand dirty. A friend once said - "With me, not too many DIY stuff too. Will get it done from the guys who do it day in and day out. There is a reason why they are still in business, so let me utilize their services.". If I had that attitude, I would probably still be standing there, waiting for RSA to show up, twiddling my thumbs. I am proud that I was able to correctly diagnose and fix the issue quickly.

That the very same friend is now talking about servicing his car himself - 60000 kms service, including timing chain replacement - is a story for a different thread

Posting here, just in case anyone else faces a similar issue.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 28th October 2015 at 09:49.
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 10:34   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

That was very good step by step approach. Yes it pays to know your machine.
Old 28th October 2015, 15:34   #367
BHPian

Hi

I just faced the situation yesterday first time after driving my faithful alto for 11 years without a hitch (barring battery problems).
She just went down right in front of my office building and wont start. Batteries were fine according to Exide batmobile personnel. A local mechanic detected that fuel isn't getting delivered. I got it towed to a local garage. Initially the mechanic told me it would either by a failure of the pump or the electric line leading to the pump not working. Today he's saying the pump is working fine and he has managed to start the car but thinks there might be some problem with the on board computer and that he'll check further before he hands over the car.
I have a feeling that I'm getting mugged. Any suggestions???
Old 28th October 2015, 17:00   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel filter or prefilter getting choked especially considering age of car
Old 28th October 2015, 17:44   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel filter or prefilter getting choked especially considering age of car
Got my car serviced, engine tuned and all body work done last month. Do you still think it will be a problem with fuel filter or prefilter???
Old 28th October 2015, 19:05   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. This is not part of regular service and is attended only one or gives trouble. As most the cars now have pump and filter assembly inside the tank. Usual authorised procedure is to open and replace entire assembly. Though an FNO can take pains to open and clean and put it back.

Last edited by sudev : 28th October 2015 at 19:09.
Old 30th October 2015, 11:24   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. This is not part of regular service and is attended only one or gives trouble. As most the cars now have pump and filter assembly inside the tank. Usual authorised procedure is to open and replace entire assembly. Though an FNO can take pains to open and clean and put it back.
Thanks Sudev. The car is back on the streets, running since yesterday night without a hitch till now.

But here's the caveat: They had taken off the tank, checked the pumps, filters and all the relays but couldn't find a fault. However after everything was fitted back, the problem with petrol flow got sorted and the car started.

But the mechanic still don't know what caused the problem. He wants to double check the sensors (is this called the ECU or PCM-cldnt trust the mechanics vocabulary-I gathered its the on-board computer that controls the car's functioning, or am I wrong?). He plans to check it by replacing the same with that of a similar car (another ALTO LX) and look for a fault. I asked him how will you know if there is a problem, since the car is working fine now? It will work nonetheless. The answer sounded a vague 'we would know'.

Now there hasn't been another Alto LX in his garage in the last two days. So he gave me the car yesterday and said 'Drive over the weekend and bring it back on Monday. Will arrange to get it (ECU/PCM/Whatever) checked by then.

So my next logical question was 'OK what next if there is a fault?'
His answer was either replace it with a new one or repair the same. He said a new one would cost around 16-17k. A repair would mean 4-5K.

I am a little confused? What should I do? Please advice?
Old 30th October 2015, 13:17   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

It could have been a loose electric connection...lots of possibilities. But I would replace as last option.
Old 30th October 2015, 15:01   #373
BHPian

Hi
I have a strange problem with my MPFI HM ambassador.
The car had a starting problem and was not giving any sparks.I had done everythng from changing the ECM ,coils ,plugs and wires.After changing the items,the car ran for approx 25 kms and then it stopped suddenly on road. I had towed the car to my parking garage and the next day, I saw the cars headlight had turned on automatically.I switched off the lights and the tried starting the car and it got started! .

When i tried again to start the car after a while it doesn't start.

I will be obliged if anybody can guide me to identify the real fault.
Old 30th October 2015, 16:43   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Check for a crank position sensor fault. Or a loose earthing.
Old 30th October 2015, 19:07   #375
BHPian

Thanks ss traveller.But ,can you give me more details on the crank position sensor?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks