Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 21:54   #106
Senior - BHPian

Happens in Octi too.
Reach to a good speed. Leave the accelerator. It shows 0.0 l/100km

Not sure how true this is.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:00   #107
Senior - BHPian

It is true in any electronic fuel injection equipped vehicle from the last decade or more.
Old 30th December 2008, 07:33   #108
Senior - BHPian

But what about the modern diesels. I see a light ahead, I need to slow down. Either I shift down four gears - or I coast (while being mindful of everyone around)
Old 30th December 2008, 08:22   #109
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
This way i dont have to use the clutch much, just once to shift to the neutral.
Why don't you want to use the clutch 'much'? What's wrong with the using the clutch?

Half clutch or riding the clutch causes excess wear & tear on the clutch.
Putting keeping the clutch fully pressed doesn't do any harm.
Old 30th December 2008, 08:56   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
But what about the modern diesels. I see a light ahead, I need to slow down. Either I shift down four gears - or I coast (while being mindful of everyone around)
Shifting down is the better option.
You do not need to shift down in sequence; can do fifth to third, or fourth to second or whatever the situation demands.
Old 30th December 2008, 09:23   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You do not need to shift down in sequence; can do fifth to third, or fourth to second or whatever the situation demands.
Why is it a better option?

Just curious - I always go with clutch pressed rather than shifting down.

Last edited by carboy : 30th December 2008 at 09:27.
Old 30th December 2008, 09:57   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why is it a better option?

Just curious - I always go with clutch pressed rather than shifting down.
Carboy, a car that is coasting essentially offers less control and will take longer to come to a halt.
When engine braking is available for free, why not use it? Helps to save needless wear of the brake shoes/pads, while at the same time allowing better control, particularly if road surface is less than ideal.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:08   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Carboy, a car that is coasting essentially offers less control and will take longer to come to a halt.
When engine braking is available for free, why not use it? Helps to save needless wear of the brake shoes/pads, while at the same time allowing better control, particularly if road surface is less than ideal.
Well quoted mate, this is what exactly happens.

To add to this, if you use clutch as soon as you are pressing brake, along with your brake pads your clutch plates performance will also deteriorate faster then somebody who does not press clutch as soon as he/she brakes.

Clutch should only be used when there is a need of gear change or just to avoid engine knocking ( when you travel in higher gear at low speed, half pressing the clutch here will help in gaining speed ).
Old 10th January 2009, 15:07   #114
Senior - BHPian

I experimented this once in my Wagon R on a straight empty downhill road, I could see up to a Km at least, in neutral with engine switched off . To my horror I realised that I had no brakes, the pedel after a couple of pumps was jammed. Brakes came on the moment I switched on the ignition.

I need to understand are the brakes getting power from the engine, in that case what happens if the engine fails & u need to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Just a thought
In ur quest to increase Fuel efficiency by getting into Neutral fine. Do it Do it with full confidence of ur reflexes in a situation but
Please DONT TURN OFF the Engine when in Neutral to gain some more FE. i hope u know the consequences when u steer then.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:32   #115
Senior - BHPian

Handbrake, shift to lower gears and let the clutch go and proceed to stand on the brake pedal.

And pray.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:51   #116

Please remember, if the car equipped with power brake,power steering then it operates with a hydraulic pump, which requires to function always when you drive, means the engine should "ON". Specifically during a downhill driving it is too dangerous in the neutral gear position or engine off condition.
Gasoline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2009, 15:57   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur
I have an example. Am cruising at 100-110 in the rightmost lane of expressway enroute to home. I know I have a left turn at 32nd milestone, that is NEVER taken above 2nd gear, come what may.

I just find it 10x chilled out to just coast into neutral provided I can see clear line to the light, and no one about to cut into my lane/path. Else I have minimum of three gear changes.

Yeah, in new places/unknown/busier traffic, I shift down. This is just for that one corner
Old 12th January 2009, 16:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

hmm So you have been driving the way you ride your pulsar

Anyways I dont agree to coasting under any conditions of braking.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:20   #119
Senior - BHPian

Got the point, what I meant was what does one do in case of engine failure / no fuel while going downhill.

The hand brakes will not hold....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline View Post
Please remember, if the car equipped with power brake,power steering then it operates with a hydraulic pump, which requires to function always when you drive, means the engine should "ON". Specifically during a downhill driving it is too dangerous in the neutral gear position or engine off condition.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:44   #120
BHPian

Engine braking helps when you have to stop soon, like in a traffic signal or jam, but if your intention is to save fuel and muster maximum momentum, clutch or neutral is the best option. This is with respect to hyper-miling that is...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks