Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 15:40   #181
Senior - BHPian

Hi Glenn,

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
whereas my driving school trainer told me Clutch and then Break
Please get all your friends & acquaintances away from this trainer. Now I wonder what all other wrong things he might have taught!
Old 8th April 2009, 16:10   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Thad , this is what my Dad was also insisting on , whereas my driving school trainer told me Clutch and then Break and my Dad went wild he says how the hell did he teach you like this so I asked this question , You reply to my query definately has helped me
If you are at 50-60 kmph in 5th gear, and you want to brake, you need to press both brakes and clutch at a time. If you do not press clutch and only apply brakes the reduction in speeds form 50-60 kmph in 5th gear makes the engine protest which is not good.

Suppose if you are at 80 kmph in 5th gear, first apply brakes and when the speeds reach below 60 kmph you need to depress clutch for change in gear to 4th. In this case there is no need to press clutch immediately with the brakes.
Old 8th April 2009, 16:16   #183
glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Glenn,

Please get all your friends & acquaintances away from this trainer. Now I wonder what all other wrong things he might have taught!
Yes Rajesh , I need to change my training classes or trainer , this kind of training would lead me into a disaster and unsafe driving . This is for the trainer and the training class

Old 8th April 2009, 16:42   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

That is the problem with teachers of all kinds: how are we to know if they are any good, when they are the only ones to teach us?

It is an insoluble problem!

Sounds like your dad might be a good person to take advice from!

Also... you have discovered Team-BHP
Old 8th April 2009, 16:53   #185
glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Glenn,

Also... you have discovered Team-BHP

Rito Thad , I have been a member of team bhp way back in the year 05 but never an active member since I never had car for myself , since my dad was in Gulf and he used to be an automobile for 30+ years .

This site has been reffered by 2 famous bhpians you would know them maybe v12 and gordon(gordy) , Thanks once one for all the suggestion and inputs

Old 27th July 2009, 16:27   #186
glenn

Can someone help me I get stuck on slope , how do you manage your car movement up in a steep slope . . .hand brake , clutch , brake , accelrate . . i go maddy at times . . please suggest

Old 2nd December 2010, 19:56   #187
BHPian

i10 Auto - shifting gear from D to Neutral while running

Hi,

These days I got into the habit of shifting the gear lever from D mode to N mode when I see the stop light from distance ( say 100 mts) and let the vehicle roll till the signal light junction and switch of the engine. I do that only when I feel safe to do so and there is no traffic ahead or behind. I also do the opposite - shifting from N to D while running when I need engine power.

I'm doing this as one of my friends suggested that it'll improve the FE. However, his car is i10 manual transmission.

Will there be any technical problem in terms of gearbox or engine or cluch etc if I do this frequently. Is it true that shifting to N in auto vehicles make any difference in FE?

TIA.

Last edited by automaticfan : 2nd December 2010 at 20:00.
Old 7th December 2010, 13:51   #188
Senior - BHPian

Does the 5th/6th gear in a car aid in engine braking? I know that the lower gears do as I have used it but I am not so sure about the overdrive gear. Also, is the behavior of the over drive gear the same as Neutral, i.e. does it keep a check on the speed of the car when the accelerator is not being used? something like when on a slope?
Old 7th December 2010, 16:30   #189
Senior - BHPian

So its better to use engine braking in lower gears as it would help in reducing the speed more. This is my understanding. Please correct me if wrong.

And I think its not advisable to do engine braking at lower gears from higher speeds as this would cause harm to the engines right?
Old 8th December 2010, 16:13   #190
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Shifting to Neutral or Pressing the Clutch when Braking - Is this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan View Post
These days I got into the habit of shifting the gear lever from D mode to N mode when I see the stop light from distance ( say 100 mts) and let the vehicle roll till the signal light junction and switch of the engine.
I think you should return the favour; go back and tell your friend to fill diesel in his petrol car.

Just kidding. What your friend has given you is terrible advice. It is VERY dangerous as it can upset the balance of the car, decrease braking efficiency and make you lose control. The neutral gear is ONLY supposed to be used when the vehicle is stationary.

Either ways, that practice will probably give you 0.25 more kpl? Is it so important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Does the 5th/6th gear in a car aid in engine braking?
Depends on the ratios chosen, but generally not so much. I can downshift to 5th gear in my C220 to slow down (again, only marginally), but the real engine braking happens in 1 / 2 / 3 gears for most cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
And I think its not advisable to do engine braking at lower gears from higher speeds as this would cause harm to the engines right?
Absolutely. The key is : Never let the engine over-revv (rpm needle going higher than the red line). For example, if you downshift to 2nd at 100 kph in a 1.2 liter hatchback, you'll be carrying your pistons home. Don't ever downshift in too low a gear at too high a speed. Learn the characteristics of your car and keep an eye on the rpm needle. Best way to learn : Downshift 1 gear at a time, observe the rpm & rate of deceleration and then decide on further action.
Old 8th December 2010, 16:37   #191
Senior - BHPian

From my experience
If you are in slow <40 until you are experienced use clutch first and follow with brakes.
If you are experienced enough with the particular car then use both together till you can manage to keep engine running without stalling

If you are in good speed always apply brake first and as you have slowed down enough apply clutch.

In all cases prevent engine stall as successive braking power reduces if car is still in motion and in case you need maneuverability.

Finally the price of brake pads to clutch plates matters most on which to follow.

but in emergency brake first and then clutch as it reduces car speed the fastest.

Last edited by gigy : 8th December 2010 at 16:38.
Old 8th December 2010, 17:25   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone help me I get stuck on slope , how do you manage your car movement up in a steep slope . . .hand brake , clutch , brake , accelrate . . i go maddy at times . . please suggest
It pretty easy. First of all you need to understand you car well. If you don't then it will be always difficult for you. You need to find out how much torque and acceleration feedback upon pressing certain amount of accelerator paddle. I never face such problem, whatever be the slope.

I never use handbrake for climbing steep slope. If you have stopped fully on slope then you have to quickly decide how much accelerator paddle need to press (immediately after releasing brake) and then release the clutch until engine transfer enough power to its wheels. All of above steps should be done in coordinated way. Yes, there will small burning of clutch for keeping car in control. Never panic in such situations, it may be disastrous. If car is stalled then you need to put hand-brake. But many time with hand-brake also car moves backward.

Remember while on such slope your gear should be most of the times in 1st or 2nd (for some not so steep slopes). You have to find the coordination between brakes, clutch, accelerator. Key to this is 'Understand you car's capability' and practice.
Old 28th December 2010, 16:58   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think you should return the favour; go back and tell your friend to fill diesel in his petrol car.

Just kidding. What your friend has given you is terrible advice. It is VERY dangerous as it can upset the balance of the car, decrease braking efficiency and make you lose control. The neutral gear is ONLY supposed to be used when the vehicle is stationary.

Either ways, that practice will probably give you 0.25 more kpl? Is it so important?
Indeed a terrible advise but, I was surprised to see the same advise on the Scorpio website :

"Rolling in neutral saves 15-20 cc of fuel. Ensure perfect wheel balance and you can cover up to 20% of your distance in neutral"

Scorpio India | Maintainance Tips | Mahindra Motors | SUV Hybrid | Utility Vehicle

Old 28th December 2010, 17:59   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
It pretty easy. First of all you need to understand you car well. If you don't then it will be always difficult for you. You need to find out how much torque and acceleration feedback upon pressing certain amount of accelerator paddle. I never face such problem, whatever be the slope.

I never use handbrake for climbing steep slope. If you have stopped fully on slope then you have to quickly decide how much accelerator paddle need to press (immediately after releasing brake) and then release the clutch until engine transfer enough power to its wheels. All of above steps should be done in coordinated way. Yes, there will small burning of clutch for keeping car in control. Never panic in such situations, it may be disastrous. If car is stalled then you need to put hand-brake. But many time with hand-brake also car moves backward.

Remember while on such slope your gear should be most of the times in 1st or 2nd (for some not so steep slopes). You have to find the coordination between brakes, clutch, accelerator. Key to this is 'Understand you car's capability' and practice.
i am guessing this advice would be a lil different for a rear wheel drive, especially if its a wet day
Old 28th December 2010, 18:03   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I never use handbrake for climbing steep slope. If you have stopped fully on slope then you have to quickly decide how much accelerator paddle need to press (immediately after releasing brake) and then release the clutch until engine transfer enough power to its wheels. .
I do not agree! AFAIK you always use your handbrake. This is to avoid your clutch getting burnt. The key is coordination. The steps to be followed is

1. Put the hand brake.
2. Slot to first gear.
3. With your right leg on the accelerator (ready to accelerate), your hand on the hand brake, release your clutch till biting point
4. Release handbrake (immediately) and accelerate and releasing the clutch at the same time.

This ensures that
1. Your clutch does not get burnt out.
2. You do not roll back
3. You do not need to use more than necessary acceleration (more quiet and elegant)
3. and can be done on any car which you are not used to.

And never ever use your second gear, unless you have a torquey engine. And even then not always.

Last edited by DWind : 28th December 2010 at 18:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks