Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2013, 21:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wishlist of Features for your Remote / Key Fob

Gone are those days when people locked their cars using metal keys. Now most cars come equipped with a Remote as a standard fitment.

Wishlist of Features for your Remote / Key Fob-rs110020trans.jpg
Illustrative image. Image Credits: PJSAUTOSOUND

Having said that, many cars across segments often come equipped with a very basic remote system that has no extra (sometimes even basic!) features at all. Just thought I should pen down the features that I would like to have/ miss in my PRESENT Car Remote.

Car Make and Model: Ford Figo Titanium

Here's a list of features that I would like to have/ Miss on my car remote:
  • Tiny On/ Off switch in the remote to prevent unintended usage
  • An LED indicator in the remote to show if the car is locked or not
  • Car locator button
  • Power window control
  • Car lighting control

I don't think incorporating the above features in the Figo's remote would cost much. Wish guys at Ford read this thread before the next Figo Facelift.

So guys, what are the features that you would like your PRESENT car remote to have?

PS: To keep this thread realistic, I would like to request the members to make suggestions that would be commensurate with the segment and price band to which the car belongs.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 6th January 2013 at 22:02.
Old 6th January 2013, 22:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Wishlist of Features for your Remote / Key Fob

Our Zen has a Piranha center-locking system fitted by Maruti A.S.S. at the time of delivery.

The remote has the turn-off button that you mentioned. So, after you're done using it, you can turn it off to prevent accidental pushing of buttons. It also has a button which triggers the hazard lamps - basically, the car locator feature that you mentioned. Best of all - if you press the lock/unlock buttons in a particular way, the car locks/unlocks without any sound. Awesome feature when you don't want to be a disturbance.

On the other hand - our Honda City's remote key - the standard key that City SMT/VMT has - has none of the 3 features : no turn off, no car locator, no mute.

I think the integrated remote+key is awful when it comes to features and convenience.
Old 6th January 2013, 23:25   #3
BHPian

The features which I would like to have in any car for that matter:

1. Auto shut power windows at the time of locking.
2. Remote power window operation. In summers, this will help in rolling down the windows before getting into the oven.
3. Remote switch on facility for the AC for the reasons mentioned above in no. 2.
4. Hazard lights at the time of reversing the car and while opening the door.
5. Some indication in the remote, that the car has been locked properly.

Thats all as of now.
Old 7th January 2013, 00:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Following feautres, I would love to have in my car remote key

1- Auto close of ORVM's.
2- Auto up for windows.
3- Ignition cut off.
4- Would be good, If i can open boot through remote.
5- Car doesn't get lock, if key is inside the car. Happened with me
6- Car locator.
7- And of course, car should get lock/unlock through remote.

Cheers!
Old 7th January 2013, 09:48   #5
BHPian

One of my wishes -

A car key locator trainable to my voice or a whistle so that it should respond back with some beeps and blinking LEDs.

Repairable modular construction - so that I do not have to replace the whole thing.

A battery low indicator (LED) with a buzzer (which should be capable of being muted)

Usable buttons (some are too tiny or not ergonomic) and back lit (automatic light sensing) so that in dark parking areas I can see, and if it gets expensive, marking on the buttons to feel (like braille, or like the Corolla ACC temperature control buttons and audio buttons - the increase button is raised and the decrease button has a hollow dent)!

Here are some my wishes

1. Modular construction so that parts can be replaced
2. Locator feature - if I whistle it should respond with a buzzer and/or blink with LEDs
3. Battery low indicator (LED)
4. User friendly buttons raised (and like the Corolla volume up/down buttons where the up button has a raised feature and the down button has a hollow)
5. Night readable (back lit, light sensing)
6. Simple, robust, replaceable cover (sliding preferred) to avoid inadvertent pressing of butons.

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th January 2013 at 15:37.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

1. Separate remote rather than the 'integrated with key' model. Quality plastics is unlikely in this age of cost cutting. I don't want to replace my key just because there is crack on the remote plastic.
  2. Easily available and replacable remote case that doesn't cost a fortune.
  3. On/off button for remote
  4. Silent lock/unlock
  5. Car locator
  6. Standard size battery, preferably CR2032.
  7. Option to open/close power windows
  8. Option to unlock boot lid separately.
  9. Option to unlock driver door separately.
  10. Programmable auto-lock/unlock settings. If not, atleast an option to disable the auto-lock feature separately. For me, it is more of a nuisance than a feature.
  11. Option to disable shock sensor feature separately while still having the security system running. My car protests everyday morning when my watchman tries to wash it. So I have to lock it manually using key when parking at home.
  12. Switching on the car from remote - possible only for AT cars, since you cannot start the car in gear in case of MT.
Except for the last one, everything else should be possible to implement for a 6L+ car without much cost overhead.
Old 7th January 2013, 13:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

There are already lots of experimentations to do a lot more using your smart phone which in my opinion is a way forward rather than developing a remote.

NFC is the way to go.

Googling will give you lots of articles on the same.
Old 7th January 2013, 18:56   #8
BHPian

Re: Wishlist of Features for your Remote / Key Fob

+1 to NFC.

Imagine, cars having an open APIs and one can download car controllers from Android Market! Apps, that can do a lot of car controlling.. say automatic detection of having owner near by or altering the lighting based on drivers mood or suggesting routes based on driving / route habits and preferences!

(Sounds interesting and scary at the same time!).
Old 7th January 2013, 19:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Only feature I miss on my remote key is the boot open button. I truly wish I had that.

Other good to have features for me:
1. Remote window open - so that I can open the windows before I reach the car, especially if it has been lying under the hot sun for a hour or more.

2. Remote headlight control - as a safety feature when I have to approach the car which is parked somewhere in a deserted parking lot.
Old 7th January 2013, 19:28   #10
BHPian

1. Some mobile phones are equipped with infrared emitter. Using these for a remote can open up a lot more possibilities as you won't be restricted by the count of buttons that can fit in a small space.

2. Low battery indication, ease of replacing the battery.

3. Close the mirrors, windows, switch on headlights for 1 minute.

4. Buttons sometimes get accidentally pressed draining the battery continuously. So switch off is necessary.

PS: I realize most of these are covered by previous posts.

Last edited by mayuresh : 7th January 2013 at 19:29.

Most Viewed