Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2010, 14:16   #1441
BANNED

Looks like only MapMyIndia only supports Andriod phones not Satguide, Correct me if i am wrong? Looking for Maps for my new Andriod phone.
Old 10th October 2010, 18:57   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Satguide uses "Destinator" software. This is available for android. You can either call Satguide or buy it directly from destinator (Intrinsic Sofware).

Stupid on satguid's part to not promote it properly.
Old 11th October 2010, 10:21   #1443
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Satguide uses "Destinator" software. This is available for android. You can either call Satguide or buy it directly from destinator (Intrinsic Sofware).

Stupid on satguid's part to not promote it properly.
I checked with Satguide, they told they dont support any Andriod phone, only symboin or windows. MMI is like 2.5k, feel bit too much since i also own an VX140, maybe will wait for Satguide to release in Andriod.
Old 11th October 2010, 14:12   #1444
Senior - BHPian

You can buy it directly from Destinator as well.

URL : Destinator Navigation Store Site

If you buy it directly from Destinator, you will get Satguide maps for India. Not sure about the cost.
Old 11th October 2010, 14:42   #1445
Team-BHP Support

So how is it done?

Install Destinator and then "copy" a map data and push it into the phone memory card for destinator to access?
Old 11th October 2010, 15:49   #1446
BANNED

Destinator website don't have any information about India maps.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:44   #1447
Senior - BHPian

First Impression regarding Satguide Map

I went to Tirupati from Bangalore. I wanted to test my PND installed with Satguide map. During this short 250 Kms one side trip, I did not get trust on Satguide map for navigation.

1. Chittor Byepass was not there in map

2. Chittor to Tirupati road not mapped properly.

3. Many road including byepass or Tirupati (From Alipiri) not properlt mapped.

4. While returning from Tirupati. At one point of time there is state highway road meet with highway (NH4). On signboard Right side was showing Bangalore and Chittor and my device was showing Left side (Towards Nellore)to Bangalore. Yuck. I did not checked which road it was calculating. I followed signboard and came back to Bangalore.

5. Many a times it calculates road from unknown small/village/unpaved roads even there is straight highway going to destination. Look like algorithm is not proper. My route mode is "Fastest Car".

Satguide advertise "Never Get Lost" But I will say, if you rely on it you will always get lost.
Old 12th October 2010, 00:22   #1448
Senior - BHPian

@anujmishra, you should use GPS for navigating in cities. Highways are not detailed, and as trafffic info is not available, fastest mode is often wrong. Try shortest mode. Also remember, bye-pass roads are longer but faster.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:42   #1449
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I went to Tirupati from Bangalore. I wanted to test my PND installed with Satguide map. During this short 250 Kms one side trip, I did not get trust on Satguide map for navigation.

1. Chittor Byepass was not there in map

2. Chittor to Tirupati road not mapped properly.

3. Many road including byepass or Tirupati (From Alipiri) not properlt mapped.

4. While returning from Tirupati. At one point of time there is state highway road meet with highway (NH4). On signboard Right side was showing Bangalore and Chittor and my device was showing Left side (Towards Nellore)to Bangalore. Yuck. I did not checked which road it was calculating. I followed signboard and came back to Bangalore.

5. Many a times it calculates road from unknown small/village/unpaved roads even there is straight highway going to destination. Look like algorithm is not proper. My route mode is "Fastest Car".

Satguide advertise "Never Get Lost" But I will say, if you rely on it you will always get lost.
I checked with mapmyindia, It doesn't cover any of the bypasses in the newly laid 4 lanes in NH7 at Tamilnadu. The maps should be updated at least once in 6 months.
Old 17th October 2010, 19:55   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Friends,

First pardon, if this is a repeated question ( I think, it will be) and my knowledge on GPS stuff. With about 1400+ posts in this thread and lots of search, i really found it difficult to get an answer for my question and ended up with confusion after reading hundreds of posts.

I have Nokia 5530 XpressMusic phone. It does NOT have GPS but has Nokia Maps. I can see Maps & Location under Application menu. I think my phone has maps for few indian cities which comes by default.

Since one of my friend (another Team-BHPian) is returning from US this month end, i thought i can buy an external Bluetooth GPS Receiver which can receive GPS signals and transmit it to my phone. I heard we can get Bluetooth GPS Receivers for about $20-$25 in US.

Need help on the following questions
1) What is the good Bluetooth GPS Receiver in this price range which will work in India decently? I saw quite a few in ebay and other sites, but not sure which is good or which will work. Please suggest good brands.
2) I have downloaded and installed Mobile GoogleMaps application in my phone. Today i am able to view routes with GPRS connection. Using the external Bluetooth GPS Receiver device, will i be able to Navigate accurately?
3) Since GoogleMaps need GPRS internet connection and inturn data charges, can i use free Nokia Maps which comes with the device and navigate decently? (I mean without any data charges and no internet connection)
4) I occasionally travel to US. Will I be able to use my phone (without a US mobile service provider connection and without GPRS) and the external Bluetooth GPS Receiver device in US for navigation? Ofcourse, i understand i need to download US city maps to my phone (?).

Appreciate your help and Thanks in Advance.

-Ravi
Appreciate, if anyone can help me out to find a GPS receiver and answer above questions, as my friend will be returning from US this week.

-Ravi
Old 17th October 2010, 20:48   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Need help on the following questions
1) What is the good Bluetooth GPS Receiver in this price range which will work in India decently? I saw quite a few in ebay and other sites, but not sure which is good or which will work. Please suggest good brands.
2) I have downloaded and installed Mobile GoogleMaps application in my phone. Today i am able to view routes with GPRS connection. Using the external Bluetooth GPS Receiver device, will i be able to Navigate accurately?
3) Since GoogleMaps need GPRS internet connection and inturn data charges, can i use free Nokia Maps which comes with the device and navigate decently? (I mean without any data charges and no internet connection)
4) I occasionally travel to US. Will I be able to use my phone (without a US mobile service provider connection and without GPRS) and the external Bluetooth GPS Receiver device in US for navigation? Ofcourse, i understand i need to download US city maps to my phone (?).

Appreciate your help and Thanks in Advance.

-Ravi
First, I hope you are 100% sure that the external GPS receiver can be used to pair with your Nokia phone and that the maps application has the setting to taken inbuilt or external GPS signal.

1) All GPS recievers will work in India, just like any other part of the world. It is just clear skies that you need. So have absolutely no thought whether the device will work or not. As for the brand, sorry, no idea.

2) Please refer to my note at the begining. The GPRS connection is used to download the maps and not for the GPS signal. Ideally, if you have downloaded GMaps and the corresponding tiles, you do not need the GPRS connection. Do check with the GPRS connection switched off. The mobile should use the A-GPS technology (towers) to zero in on your position.

3) Not sure, but didnt your mobile come with free Nokia maps? Anyway, the work around is to use GMaps, download the google maps map tiles and then use them. Googling will help you out.

4) If you have the downloaded maps and able to setup connectivity between the phone and GPS device, the world is your map!
Old 17th October 2010, 21:03   #1452
Senior - BHPian

^^^
External GPS. Question of AGPS on the mobile does not arise.

@rajib
Get a GPS with good battery life, and preferably USB charging. Sirf *3 or MTK/ MTK2 chipset. Large antenna. Check out sites like GPSPassion, or Semsons for details.

I would suggest a Bluetooth Datalogger, which can also stream NMEA data. Soon, most phones will include a built in GPS. When just a receiver will become a paperweight. A datalogger, on the other hand, will maintain its utility.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th November 2010, 01:07   #1453
Senior - BHPian

A good article looking at landscape of navigation devices and challengers (mobile phones)

News Headlines
Old 12th December 2010, 00:06   #1454
BANNED

Re: Using a GPS Receiver in the Car

I have some basic query on GPS.

I use windows mobile having

Operating Sys.
Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
GPS
SiRF Star III with internal antenna

So i have hardware support for GPS. But never used it on my mobile.

Now i want to use it with my laptop in car for navigation purpose. What navigation software i should be installing on my laptop which will use/interact my mobile GPS chip? What else i will be needing to get it done?
Old 12th December 2010, 00:22   #1455
BHPian

Re: Using a GPS Receiver in the Car

^^ You are better off running navigation SW on the mobile itself OR getting a USB/Bluetooth GPS puck to work as a GPS receiver for your laptop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks