Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 01:42   #1366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Any other reliable mobile GPS maps that are free or cheap and decent for our purpose ? Its not a 'must have' thing in my car, otherwise I would have bought a mapmyindia device long back.
MgMaps is free, you can use downloaded google/yahoo maps with it, but no voice navigation in mgmaps
Old 4th June 2010, 03:07   #1367
BHPian

Hi. I've got a query.

If a mobile phone says it features A-GPS does it mean it features 'Satellite vala GPS + Cellular Towers' or only Cellular towers ? Like, is it inferior or better, compared to GPS ?
Old 4th June 2010, 06:13   #1368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am using a sony ericsson vivaz for the time being. It has google maps and wisepilot that works on built-in GPS and aGPS. I found wisepilot to be very useful and accurate in my previous drive, but requires a data connection throughout. I had vodafone mobile connect active, therefore maps refreshed and worked perfect.

Is there anyway I can run the same without having a data connection ? Also wisepilot is in a free-use period of 30 days, it will expire next week. Its 70 Euro for 1 year which is equal to Rs.4000 as of today's rate. Anyone has used this before ?

Any other reliable mobile GPS maps that are free or cheap and decent for our purpose ? Its not a 'must have' thing in my car, otherwise I would have bought a mapmyindia device long back.

The only ones I am aware of are the Nokia maps, which dont need a data connection and they would be stored on your phone.

The other thing you can do is to check if MMI/Satguide support your phone and can buy the maps for your phone.
MMI charges about 2500 for mobile maps (Prices may have varied since I knew last).

For the rest all, you will need GPRS to access. Most common one is Google maps. Not sure Open Street Maps (OSM) are supported
on phone. Another free maps source which can be downloaded as source and then used. Not sure if folks use it in phone.

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2010 at 06:15.
Old 4th June 2010, 20:22   #1369
Senior - BHPian

'Wild'buddy, was that a reply to me ? I am making a wild guess and not having a clue. Thanks to everyone for giving me some idea. Will check all the alternatives.

Last edited by shajufx : 4th June 2010 at 20:23.
Old 4th June 2010, 22:46   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'Wild'buddy, was that a reply to me ? I am making a wild guess and not having a clue. Thanks to everyone for giving me some idea. Will check all the alternatives.
nope.it was for maddjango

you can use Garmin maps too. I was using Garmin mobile XT until nokia made their navigation free. Actually all GPS software uses downloaded maps. Google is the only one that downloads maps on the go. Plus is that it is the most updated.
a-GPS uses network data to acquire GPS signals faster. Once signal is locked, no further network usage.
Old 7th July 2010, 13:34   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Got a Garmin Nuvi 265WT from PC Richards in US for $159. Loaded it with Satguide India map. Seems to work perfectly so far. It does recognize all the roads which I regularly drive.

The main problem using GPS in India seems to be the lack of proper naming for roads. Lack of a standard address format is also an issue. This prevents us from locating exact destination in the GPS. However "places of interest" does show most significant landmarks in the neighborhood.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:08   #1372
BHPian

I got my Garmin Nuvi 265WT too from US but its sitting in Bangalore :-(...have to see how to get it to Hyderabad ASAP :-)

Please Let me know if some Fellow BHPian from bangalore is coming to Hyd

Rajeev
Old 7th July 2010, 16:36   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Hi. I've got a query.

If a mobile phone says it features A-GPS does it mean it features 'Satellite vala GPS + Cellular Towers' or only Cellular towers ? Like, is it inferior or better, compared to GPS ?
Yes, A-GPS means assisted GPS. Most mobile phones have A-GPS in addition to the regular GPS. You can call it superior to regular GPS.

Regular GPS communicates only with the satellites for tracking location. A-GPS additionally communicates with your service provider's GSM towers through GPRS.

Advantage of A-GPS is faster tracking, even while indoors (Regular GPS would not work indoors as it requires a direct line-of-sight with the satellite). Disadvantage of A-GPS is extra data charges for GPRS.

Most phones have the option to turn off A-GPS to avoid data charges.

Rohan
Old 7th July 2010, 16:57   #1374
Team-BHP Support

A-GPS simply helps in "cold fix" by downloading Ephemeris data. Once you have a complete fix, AGPS will not make any difference in accuracy.
Old 8th July 2010, 00:40   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
I am using a sony ericsson vivaz for the time being. It has google maps and wisepilot that works on built-in GPS and aGPS. I found wisepilot to be very useful and accurate in my previous drive, but requires a data connection throughout. I had vodafone mobile connect active, therefore maps refreshed and worked perfect.

Is there anyway I can run the same without having a data connection ? Also wisepilot is in a free-use period of 30 days, it will expire next week. Its 70 Euro for 1 year which is equal to Rs.4000 as of today's rate. Anyone has used this before ?

The only free ones are Nokia OVI, but only for Nokia users. Else you can buy MapMyIndia maps for almost Rs.2500. Check out this link Buy MapmyIndia mobile phone GPS : Android, Windows Mobile, Symbian, iPhone and Blackberry GPS phone navigation software with all India maps.

Satguide is even cheaper at 990 bucks Satguide Provide The Best Gps Software For Laptops And Mobile Phones.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:18   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
.....The other thing you can do is to check if MMI/Satguide support your phone and can buy the maps for your phone.
MMI charges about 2500 for mobile maps
Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
.....you can buy MapMyIndia maps for almost Rs.2500
Finally I ended up buying the MMI maps for Symbian through the e-buy that costed just 1990. But unfortunately its been 48 hours, I am not able to get my internal GPS track location. Right now its an airtel prepaid SIM in the vivaz as my vodafone SIM is used on a blackberry. My previous test (wisepilot when it was trial period) on the vivaz was with the vodafone SIM that had vodafone connect active. I googled all day and night, but not finding a solution to get the internal GPS 9600 working.

It shows only one message while trying to auto-connect " Detection Failed".

Help Help Help !!

Last edited by shajufx : 27th August 2010 at 20:21.
Old 27th August 2010, 21:04   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Can you use GPS in any other application on that phone?
Old 27th August 2010, 21:11   #1378
Senior - BHPian

It has google map and the usual location stuff that uses GPS, I can find the GPS logo displayed, but not able to find it locking to any satellites.
Old 27th August 2010, 21:44   #1379
BHPian

If you use a symbian device simply download Mobile Google Maps and use the sattelite view if you live in not-so-famous places. Google for this app. It is free.

If you have a problem with high data transfers then download MGmaps app for nokia phones and save the map tiles that you require from your PC. I also like the UI of this app better. It's a free app as well though the creator would be happy if you donate a cup of coffee or a beer even.

If you have a phone that just supports java apps, or is without GPS or serious processing power then use a Motorola GPS device. They come with a MotoNav app that makes it possible to display maps as well as provide routing on simpler phones. It'll cost you though.

If you use an n900, use the mappero app. It provides routing, voice nav and the works and is free. Map tile saving from within the n900 itself makes it easy, it also allows you to download maptiles along specefic routes or areas. Open source app, free and frequent updates as well.

For most places in India, google satellite is my favorite map tile repository. Lots of info, POI, and every road can be seen although the little ones might not be named.

Last edited by di1in : 27th August 2010 at 21:51.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:11   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

yes I agree that most roads are not properly named or not reflected correctly in the india maps - same problem with map my india.
just wondering how much did the satguide maps cost you?
my MMI maps cost 7000 for the latest SD card (updated in June 2010.)
do share this info with us.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Got a Garmin Nuvi 265WT from PC Richards in US for $159. Loaded it with Satguide India map. Seems to work perfectly so far. It does recognize all the roads which I regularly drive.

The main problem using GPS in India seems to be the lack of proper naming for roads. Lack of a standard address format is also an issue. This prevents us from locating exact destination in the GPS. However "places of interest" does show most significant landmarks in the neighborhood.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks