Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:48   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

I bought the MMI VX140 after much research work, hope the device after so much findings will not disappoint me,

I have bought it from a Local dealer at my place, he bought both LX130 & VX140, I had the hands on on both the devices,

here are the First hand comparisons

LX130 Video quality is better due to smaller screen size than VX140

VX140 4.3" screen size looks quite big compared to 3.5" LX130 (technically it is only .8") but effectively there is quite a difference

I have charged the device to full night and will test the navigatio today after office
the bluetooth connectivity is OK and we can hear and speak through it
the Video quality is pixeled when playing on the full screeen, i will try again today with different videos
The speaker is quite effective

Will post snaps soon.
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:06   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
the Video quality is pixeled when playing on the full screeen
Try converting videos on your computer to match the screen resolution (480x272) of the device..that way, it should play a lot smoother since the processor will not be burdened to upscale/downscale the video.
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:19   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Try converting videos on your computer to match the screen resolution (480x272) of the device..that way, it should play a lot smoother since the processor will not be burdened to upscale/downscale the video.
will try the same today, may be there is some issue with the video formats
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:40   #1324
Distinguished - BHPian

Ram, I am fully aware of my 5800's internal GPS receiver.

I was only trying to make the "bogus hocus focus mumbo jumbo" point that TTFF is much faster with the assistance of the GPRS connection (obviously through A-GPS). Cold start TTFF without A-GPS is typically significantly longer than with A-GPS.

Relax, and consider being a bit more polite please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
GPRS is nothing but a wireless internet connection.
It cannot plot your position on a map in any way.
How can you get a GPS position-lock with merely an internet connection?

What kind of bogus hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo is this?
And how can you do any kind of navigation without an accurate location fix?

How accurate can a location fix be, which uses triangulation based on cell-towers?
Please understand that without an internal or external GPS receiver, any kind of positioning or navigation is a pipe-dream.

itwasntme, you have a Nokia 5800 phone -- a phone with a built-in GPS satellite receiver hardware.

Assisted GPS (A-GPS) retrieves assistance data over a data connection (like GPRS). A-GPS reduces the time a GPS device requires to find its current latitude and longitude position, known as Time To First Fix (TTFF), and only when receiving signals from GPS satellites.

In other words if your phone does not have GPS hardware, A-GPS software cannot work for you!

The first time you use an application that involves GPS (and A-GPS) service, the phone will automatically ask for your Internet Access Point (can be GPRS or WiFi/WLAN) with the question: "Access point is required for secure positioning. Define now?" If you want to enable A-GPS usage, answer "Yes".

If you answer "No" you can still use your phone's GPS receiver, but TTFF will be slower.

To check if you have A-GPS activated on your Nokia GPS phone.
Check
Main menu > Tools > Settings > General > Positioning
* > Positioning methods - select assisted GPS.
* > Positioning server > Access point - Select your service provider's access point.
* > Positioning server > Server address - the positioning server address used for A-GPS (default supl.nokia.com)

As mentioned earlier flat-rate unlimited plans are no longer offered in 1st class cities -- Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta and Madras.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1706001
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:42   #1325
Senior - BHPian

@Ruchir

So, finally you got VX140 (after lot of search and discussions etc) -Congratulations!

Hope you will enjoy its features (so far I used this only for navigation) and also for
navigation purposes!
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:57   #1326
Senior - BHPian

SNAPS of the first hands on with the VX140
Attached Thumbnails
Using a GPS Receiver in the Car-22022010233.jpg  

Using a GPS Receiver in the Car-22022010234.jpg  

Using a GPS Receiver in the Car-22022010235.jpg  

Using a GPS Receiver in the Car-22022010236.jpg  

Using a GPS Receiver in the Car-22022010237.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2010, 11:27   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am having Nokia 5800 since couple of weeks now. In my last Mumbai trip my Nokia Maps worked like a charm. I have not enabled AGPS as I do not use any data plan. When I started from my home, I had to wait for couple of minutes to get GPS lock. After that it took me 4 hrs to reach my in laws place in Mumbai and all along the journey the Nokia maps did show me the near perfect position. The map was moving automatically according to my position. Even after 4 hrs of GPS use (Screen was off whenever we were not using the phone), the battery lasted for 2 days (Which covers 2 hrs music use).

The existing Nokia map software on my firmware V30 works like a charm. I am also using MGMaps and so I have google maps downloaded for the area I visited in Mumbai. I intent to go for V 40 which has Nokia maps navigation free for lifetime. I was putting my decision to upgrade on hold as I heard about few bugs in that firmware upgrade.

Nokia 5800 is a nice phone given its price 14K. The GPS chip is very sensitive and without A-GPS it gets lock in couple of minutes for hot start and around 5 mins for a cold start.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:33   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
To my knowledge Nokia Maps, requires a network connection to activate and startup. Therefore it may not work without GPRS. Satguide & MMI have products which do not require a network and will work without GPRS.
Nokia Map users on the forum please confirm if the above is correct.
Yes, you r spot on, Nokia Maps requires GPRS to function.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:43   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
... TTFF is much faster with the assistance of the GPRS connection (obviously through A-GPS). Cold start TTFF without A-GPS is typically significantly longer than with A-GPS. ...
You are absolutely correct, @itwasntme. If I may change the order of the phrases you have written, perhaps it will be more precise technically: "with the assistance of A-GPS (obviously through the GPRS connection)".

A-GPS can also work through Wi-Fi, should one happen to be near an access point (doesn't work correctly in cases where internet connectivity is accessed only over VPN, like in some software companies / ODCs where local internet access is forbidden). As Ram was trying to say, GPRS is just another wireless Internet access method.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:44   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Nokia Maps does NOT require GPRS to work.

I used it with a SIM that does not have GPRS service turned on. it worked fine.

However, if GPRS is available it can be used by Nokia maps.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:46   #1331
Senior - BHPian

@ruchir
You bought the vx140 directly from MapmyIndia or through any seller listed in ebay india?
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:11   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@ruchir
You bought the vx140 directly from MapmyIndia or through any seller listed in ebay india?
not from any of these, i bought from a local dealer at my place.
thats why i had a look and feel of all the devices available with MMI
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:48   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
A-GPS can also work through Wi-Fi, should one happen to be near an access point (doesn't work correctly in cases where internet connectivity is accessed only over VPN, like in some software companies / ODCs where local internet access is forbidden). As Ram was trying to say, GPRS is just another wireless Internet access method.

Nokia users please clarify if you can select a wifi access point for the A-GPS (positioning server). At least on my E66 I can't. I can select only a GPRS access point for the same.
Old 24th February 2010, 00:45   #1334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Nokia Maps does NOT require GPRS to work.

I used it with a SIM that does not have GPRS service turned on. it worked fine.

However, if GPRS is available it can be used by Nokia maps.
Let me say that too: Nokia Maps does not require GPRS, or any, data connection.

However often we say it, someone will always pop up and say that it does!

But hey, it does work better with yellow fog lamps!

Quote:
Nokia users please clarify if you can select a wifi access point for the A-GPS (positioning server).
A-GPS is a function of the cell-phone system, isn't it? It is nothing to do with wifi.

(Having never used it, I'm not entirely sure what it is to do with... but I'm fairly sure that it is nothing to do with internet. The internet is not, yet at least, very good at telling people where they are)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th February 2010 at 00:47.
Old 24th February 2010, 09:18   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A-GPS is a function of the cell-phone system, isn't it? It is nothing to do with wifi.

(Having never used it, I'm not entirely sure what it is to do with... but I'm fairly sure that it is nothing to do with internet. The internet is not, yet at least, very good at telling people where they are)
Hi Thad,

I like your humour . Yes the A-GPS is a function of the phone but it also needs to connect to the nokia server to find out where those litlle satellites are, instead of wasting time searching for them all over the sky. That is were the network comes in.

Please look at the string of posts below.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks