Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2010, 06:01   #1186
BHPian

I have a nokia 5800 and with now navigation free on it(Ovi maps- voice guided), I tried the voice maps withint hyderabad city and I cannot ask for more. It is a good city navigator. I am also happy that I can use it offline without any GPRS charges. Overall I am happy with Nokia post FREE Ovi maps
Old 28th January 2010, 08:20   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Yes, a touch screen phone with 3 inch or larger screen is quite usable for GPS navigation.

And you can load multiple maps. If a particular city is not covered by Nokia, you can use MMI or Satguide maps for that city.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:30   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
And you can load multiple maps. If a particular city is not covered by Nokia, you can use MMI or Satguide maps for that city.
And even Google maps non voice based navigation helps when you are in an unfamiliar area and where the other map (MMI in my case) was of no use.

I got to where the MMI could lead me using Google maps couple of days back. Of course GPRS charges would have to be paid.

Last edited by trrk : 28th January 2010 at 12:37.
Old 29th January 2010, 04:28   #1189
BHPian

Nokia 5230

Got my hands on Nokia 5230!
Have been experimenting a lot.
Downloaded free Nokia-Map app (around 8 MB) which took hours through GPRS.
Downloaded Google-Maps (around 2 MB) faster.

Satellite connection was made only when I went to the roof top of my house with the open sky. Google earth pin-pointed my exact place on earth! The feeling is Superb!
Nokia app also did that but there were no details on my town, just the national highway nearby.

Will continue to experiment in the days to come.
Old 29th January 2010, 07:06   #1190
Team-BHP Support

So google maps still works in a GPRS mode right? I think only on the Andoid 2.1 they are supporting pre-installed mode.

Aso how does MMI/Satguide work with Nokia ? Has anyone tried? Whats the modus operandi here? Transfer their maps on the SD Card along with other files like image/music?
Old 29th January 2010, 08:51   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Got my hands on Nokia 5230!
Have been experimenting a lot.
Downloaded free Nokia-Map app (around 8 MB) which took hours through GPRS.
Downloaded Google-Maps (around 2 MB) faster.

Satellite connection was made only when I went to the roof top of my house with the open sky. Google earth pin-pointed my exact place on earth! The feeling is Superb!
Nokia app also did that but there were no details on my town, just the national highway nearby.

Will continue to experiment in the days to come.
Here satellite lock is fast, about 30 seconds, but it is with GPRS. Also there is no problem even inside building both at my residence and office. (3 to 5 satellites inside the building and 5 to 8 outside) Positioning is almost exact, and though google says the accuracy within 1000 metres, I feel it is within 50 metres. Nokia map shows only main roads here and very few location names.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:54   #1192
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Nokia. Biggest and Earliest in GPS phones

Nokia mobiles have had GPS-- Global Positioning Satellite Radio receiver hardware and software for the last three years.

The Nokia N95 has had GPS since early 2007
And the second generation N95 8 GB and Nokia N82, since late 2007.

Question: So what's the big change that has made people start raving about cell phone GPS?
Answer: Nokia now provides GPS on cheaper phones costing Rs. 7,800 and lower.

Nokia's cheapest GPS-enabled phone on the horizon will be the Nokia 2710. It will have a GPS receiver plus A-GPS support. Launch date is 1st April 2010. Expected price at launch will be Rs.7,000 and will get cheaper.

As of now GPS hardware is part of:
28 Nokia phones
13 HTC phones
8 Sony-Ericsson phones
3 Samsung, 3 Motorola
2 Blackberry and iPhone 3G and 3GS models.

Who is the clear leader?

Ram
Old 29th January 2010, 10:57   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So google maps still works in a GPRS mode right? I think only on the Andoid 2.1 they are supporting pre-installed mode.
Satellite view of google is great! The only problem is the GPRS tariff. When I am on a long drive I would like to keep GPRS+GPS on for hours and I am presently talking with Aircel for the 'GPRS Plan98' which they say gives unlimited data-transfer for Rs.98/- fixed monthly charge.

But if I can download full google-data for a fixed area like whole of Tamilnadu onto a SD card and use it, then that would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can use a program called "mgmaps". It has tools to download Google maps from PC and transfer to Mobile or PND.

Once you download maps from PC and transfer to cell, data charges would not apply.

This page has download details:

Mobile GMaps - Download

This page has tools for downloading tiles (map images) from Google maps.

Mobile GMaps - Map Tile Caching tools

For Linux, yo uwill have to use command line PERL tools.
Sorry about my earlier post, I just remembered this idea already posted earlier about downloading google-earth. I will try it soon.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th January 2010 at 14:10.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:13   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Ya watched two movie going in train recently and clarity was great, Movie did not freeze anytime. I played .AVI format, not sure if it support other format.

Have to check if i can connect to car HU.

2.5-to-3.5mm adapter you can get it in any electronic shop, or in ebay.
hi shamath,

i am also planning for a PND, how is this VX14, are movies clear enough to get a view for rear passengers and how is it for handsfree bluetooth.
Old 29th January 2010, 13:40   #1195
Team-BHP Support

@NFB,

I tried the MGMaps options for mobile. Only issue is that if you have to download a large portion (e.g. full India) with increased zoom levels, the number of files get exploded and when you try to copy it to an SD card, the OS gets choked. If you really want street level accuracy, its really difficult getting all the details.

Curious to know how others have solved this problem.
Old 29th January 2010, 14:23   #1196
Senior - BHPian

I have question on the GPS provided in Nokia phones like E72, 5800 & 5230 etc.

Sometime last year a friend had told me that the device is just GPS enabled & one needs to pay a fees to use to the GPS.

Has this changed now? Is the GPS facility completely free?

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th January 2010 at 14:26.
Old 29th January 2010, 14:29   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have question on the GPS provided in Nokia phones like E72, 5800 & 5230 etc.

Sometime last year a friend had told me that the device is just GPS enabled & one needs to pay a fees to use to the GPS.

Has this changed now? Is the GPS facility completely free?
you can use it with the preloaded maps of nokia which are currently available in major cities like delhi, bombay, chennai, bangalore, and no need to pay any fees, you can use simple GPRS also to use it.
Old 29th January 2010, 15:36   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ruchir,

I am aware of the map options (thanks to NFB).

I am asking purely about the GPS facility.
Old 29th January 2010, 15:59   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks Ruchir,

I am aware of the map options (thanks to NFB).

I am asking purely about the GPS facility.
nope dear, GPS facility is still chargeable, it depends upon the service provider, like i have mobile office activated in my airtel account for Nokia E71, they charge 300/ month for unlimited browsing, i use it mainly for surfing and official mail check.
Old 29th January 2010, 15:59   #1200
Team-BHP Support

Techno, since nokia maps were not free earlier, to use nokia maps you had to pay.
But now thats gone.
As for GPS, even in those days, people used garmin mobile XT and osmrenderer like applications to view non nokia maps for free.
So there is no fee for GPS. GPS is free. Its the maps which cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
nope dear, GPS facility is still chargeable, it depends upon the service provider, like i have mobile office activated in my airtel account for Nokia E71, they charge 300/ month for unlimited browsing, i use it mainly for surfing and official mail check.
Thats GPRS, not GPS. GPS stands for Global Positioning System and is not used for mail checking

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th January 2010 at 16:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks