Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 13:11   #1141
BHPian

I use or rather now a days try to use the GPS on my E71. However after the pathetic trial period is over, even basic navigation is supposed to be chargeable. Is there any way of getting around this. I know its something not legal, but then its too much paying for even simple navigation (without voice assistance I mean).
Guys what ever help provided will be highly appreciated.
Old 30th December 2009, 15:03   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Can MMI vx140 double up as a basic movie player?
1. Play full-length movie (say 700MB size) off SD card without freezing
2. Connect to car HU's AUX-IN with 2.5-to-3.5mm adapter.

Also where to buy a 2.5-to-3.5mm adapter in Bangalore?

Cheers.
Old 30th December 2009, 15:18   #1143
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Can MMI vx140 double up as a basic movie player?
1. Play full-length movie (say 700MB size) off SD card without freezing
2. Connect to car HU's AUX-IN with 2.5-to-3.5mm adapter.

Also where to buy a 2.5-to-3.5mm adapter in Bangalore?

Cheers.
Ya watched two movie going in train recently and clarity was great, Movie did not freeze anytime. I played .AVI format, not sure if it support other format.

Have to check if i can connect to car HU.

2.5-to-3.5mm adapter you can get it in any electronic shop, or in ebay.

Last edited by shamanth : 30th December 2009 at 15:20.
Old 30th December 2009, 16:18   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I use or rather now a days try to use the GPS on my E71. However after the pathetic trial period is over, even basic navigation is supposed to be chargeable. Is there any way of getting around this. I know its something not legal, but then its too much paying for even simple navigation (without voice assistance I mean).
Guys what ever help provided will be highly appreciated.

Leave Nokia maps aside. Use Garmin Mobile XT. This software is free download.

For maps, maps are available for download on net. Or you can buy is for 2k from Satguide (In Garmin format).

Garmin sells Maps for $99. In my opinion, Garmin's maps are best in terms of accuracy. But coverage is limited to road network and around 100 cities in detail.

But quality is much better. Unlike Satguide / MapmyIndia you will not find any building in water / sea.
Old 9th January 2010, 19:30   #1145
sat
BHPian

which car gps navigation device (pnd) to buy?

I will be driving from rural & remote rajasthan (where I live) to UP.
I also drive a lot in the country side in remote parts. Have got lost on two occasions on dirt road, had to camp out in the middle of nowhere till sunrise, that was quiet some time ago.

Will be plotting places which I would like to transfer to the computer on google maps.

Have read most of the post on this forum for pnd & from what little I could gather (am not very tech savy) & did consider the following

MapMyIndia VX 140 (15,000/-) or

Garmin nuvi 215W map my india (17000)

Blaupunkt Travel Pilot 300?

I need the larger screen thanks to +1.5 reading glasses.

Also looking at the option of asking a friend from the US to bring in a nice pnd/gps, will buy MMI maps here. I like the fact that if one travels overseas you can plug in a sd card in the pnd for maps of that country.
With the VX 140 this is not possible according to the MMI sales person.

I like the bluetooth hands free feature. The ability to use the touchscreen pnd to make calls etc

Any suggestion which is a good pnd to buy? I heard google maps & garmin have a problem?
Old 9th January 2010, 19:50   #1146
Senior - BHPian

See :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...er-car-77.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-satguide.html
Old 10th January 2010, 11:01   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
I also drive a lot in the country side in remote parts. Have got lost on two occasions on dirt road, had to camp out in the middle of nowhere till sunrise, that was quiet some time ago.

Will be plotting places which I would like to transfer to the computer on google maps.

Have read most of the post on this forum for pnd & from what little I could gather (am not very tech savy) & did consider the following

MapMyIndia VX 140 (15,000/-) or

Garmin nuvi 215W map my india (17000)

Blaupunkt Travel Pilot 300?

I need the larger screen thanks to +1.5 reading glasses.

Also looking at the option of asking a friend from the US to bring in a nice pnd/gps, will buy MMI maps here. I like the fact that if one travels overseas you can plug in a sd card in the pnd for maps of that country.
With the VX 140 this is not possible according to the MMI sales person.

I like the bluetooth hands free feature. The ability to use the touchscreen pnd to make calls etc

Any suggestion which is a good pnd to buy? I heard google maps & garmin have a problem?
Maybe buy a large screen MID instead?

Manufacturers redirecting R&D on declining GPS device orders? -- Engadget
Old 10th January 2010, 11:19   #1148
akp
BHPian

Quote:

This would be a much cheaper option than buying the device here. For example, if you buy Garmin nuvi 765T from MMI, it would cost you 28k.
If you buy the device in US, it would be somewhere around 10k and together with MMI map for Garmin it would be 17k, so you still save more than Rs. 10k.
Old 10th January 2010, 13:50   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can look at another option. Buy Nokia 5230. Cost is 9000.

On this, you can run Google maps / Garmin /Mapamyindia and Satnav.

If you use Google maps, it would be free. But it would require 2 - 3 days to download maps for India to phone. You would need to leave the PC on so that it can download all maps.
Old 10th January 2010, 14:25   #1150
Distinguished - BHPian

has anyone tried using the GPS on the Eten GlofiishX650?
Old 10th January 2010, 14:56   #1151
BHPian

Hi 'sat', in my personal opinion, Garmin units are the best and the most user friendly. the nuvi 215 is 13000/- and not 17k.looks like you need to haggle a bit!
my advice, is to go for a NUVI 715 which has 'eco route' option as well. if the garmin guys can give you the 'eco route' option on the 215, then it is a worthwhile buy, other wise go for the 715 you will not regret it!
mapmyindia, satguide are all good with their maps no doubt, but the ease of operations and the overall, solid 'quality' feel of the garmin is unmatched. i have used both the nuvi 215/715 as well as the MMI vx140 and my vote is still with the Nuvi...satguide uses the MIO(taiwan brand) device which is better than MMI(screen size, features etc.)but doesnt even come close to the NUVI.
Old 10th January 2010, 22:28   #1152
sat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjames View Post
Hi 'sat', in my personal opinion, Garmin units are the best and the most user friendly. the nuvi 215 is 13000/- and not 17k.looks like you need to haggle a bit!
my advice, is to go for a NUVI 715

Thanks you for your suggestions, just what I was looking for... Will go for the nuvi 215 eco route option, if not available then the nuvi 715.

Wonder where I can get the nuvi for good prices in India, you did say 13k for nuvi 215?

Can any garmin nuvi available in the US be loaded with MMI maps..

Good link to determine which feature to choose in a garmin pnd.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134
Old 10th January 2010, 23:10   #1153
sat
BHPian

garmin nuvi 'eco routes'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjames View Post
my advice, is to go for a NUVI 715 which has 'eco route' option as well. if the garmin guys can give you the 'eco route' option on the 215, then it is a worthwhile buy, other wise go for the 715 you will not regret it!
sterlingjames,
While doing a search I came across this info on 'eco route'. I gather its a free download on garmin pnd.
http://www.garmin.com/ecoRoute

These are the devices 'eco route' is compatible with http://www.garmin.com/ecoRoute/compatible
Old 21st January 2010, 22:26   #1154
BHPian

My quest for GPS came to an end by buying a Nokia 5230. Now waiting for a micro SDHC ordered online. Shall I use Google, MMI or Satguide. Today read that the Nokia maps are now totally free.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:59   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Great phone (5230). I am using it with Satguide maps + Garmin software. Cost is 2k. Mpas cover 600 cities.

You can also run Sygic software that has maps from MMI on this phone.

Nokia maps are not free. You need to pay for "turn by turn" direction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks