Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 19:51   #1021
BHPian

MapMyIndia is a big "NO". I have their LX130. It takes at least 10 minutes to get a fix and to top that you have to be stationary, in a moving car I have tested it so far sor 25 minutes and no fix.

Contents are so-so, until unless you are looking for broad directions, this is a waste. The routes are never correct.
Old 24th August 2009, 20:19   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
MapMyIndia is a big "NO". I have their LX130. It takes at least 10 minutes to get a fix and to top that you have to be stationary, in a moving car I have tested it so far sor 25 minutes and no fix.

Contents are so-so, until unless you are looking for broad directions, this is a waste. The routes are never correct.
I live at the other end of the country.

I use it with a Holux navigator and the fix is in seconds. The same works in my HTC phone with an external BT Receiver which also gets a fix in seconds.

I have used it in these parts and also a trip across Kerala and Tamil Nadu. It could be better, but useful even in the present form.
Old 24th August 2009, 20:22   #1023
BHPian

I had just used Magellan and Garmin years back that too without any software. Now I want to use something with or without voice navigation but as far as possible accurate maps. Preferably with screen size of around 3 inches. Please help.
Old 24th August 2009, 20:29   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Pardon for ignorance,but how does this track me live feature works with GPS.

I have a Magellan hand held GPS Reciever,can I use it for this?
Old 25th August 2009, 12:30   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Track-me-live feature requires your current GPS position to be periodically uploaded to a public server. Those who subscribe to it can see where you are on a map. Works best with cellphone GPS with an always-on data connection (and where cellphone signal is available ).

There are systems available (like ones made by MobiApps) for commercial vehicles which are used by organizations like state RTCs to know where there vehicles are at any given time.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:23   #1026
BHPian

What do you guys think of Tempes Gtx ? It's available for download from tempes.com for Symbian OS phones. Features even claim to get 0-100 timings using just your mobile GPS reciever. Is this possible ?
Old 26th August 2009, 19:06   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
What do you guys think of Tempes Gtx ? It's available for download from tempes.com for Symbian OS phones. Features even claim to get 0-100 timings using just your mobile GPS reciever. Is this possible ?
Should be possible. But may not be 100% accurate. Demo versions of the above there have this feature disabled.

Last edited by trrk : 26th August 2009 at 19:09.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:17   #1028
Distinguished - BHPian

I just hate to think of what happens when everybody with a mobile phone and a car (and some youth, probably*)decides to check out their 0-100

*but wait, even I would be tempted to try it once!
Old 26th August 2009, 20:17   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Most GPS chips in phones work at 5Hz.

That would mean any 0 - 100 measurement s with GPS would have least count of .2 seconds.

And since 0 - 100 timings are 10 to 20 seconds, Error of .2 seconds should be reasonable.

So its should work fine.

Even free Apps like Nokia Sports tracker should be usable for this purpose. Though you would need to get 0 -100 timings manually from data.
Old 26th August 2009, 23:51   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Most GPS chips in phones work at 5Hz.

That would mean any 0 - 100 measurement s with GPS would have least count of .2 seconds.

And since 0 - 100 timings are 10 to 20 seconds, Error of .2 seconds should be reasonable.

So its should work fine.

Even free Apps like Nokia Sports tracker should be usable for this purpose. Though you would need to get 0 -100 timings manually from data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Should be possible. But may not be 100% accurate. Demo versions of the above there have this feature disabled.
Thanks for the info netfreak. I'm looking forward to get a full version of that app. I'll do a review as soon as i get my hands on it.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:11   #1031

Hi Guys, I am thinking of buying a GPS navigator in India (mostly eastern and northern regions) . How is the MapMyIndia Navigator Lx130 model ? I do long distance travel mostly during night and I need a good navigator which can give me good direction. Any other suggestions except MayMyIndia Lx130 or any other make/model ? I am not looking for the in-phone navigators, looking for a dedicated navigation device.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:05   #1032
Senior - BHPian

in car pnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitranshu View Post
Hi Guys, I am thinking of buying a GPS navigator in India (mostly eastern and northern regions) . How is the MapMyIndia Navigator Lx130 model ? I do long distance travel mostly during night and I need a good navigator which can give me good direction. Any other suggestions except MayMyIndia Lx130 or any other make/model ? I am not looking for the in-phone navigators, looking for a dedicated navigation device.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, well for in car pnd in india there are only 2 companies. One is satguide and the other map my india. As per my experience map my india maps are much more detailed and there software interface is better too. Satguide maps are not so detailed and their software interface is also not very user friendly.
So after testing both these i decided to go in for map my india. So far i am happy with it. If you scroll back a few pages you can read my review on my device. Map my india now has many new models to choose from and some discounts too which were not on offer when i bought. So it is a good time to buy. Check out their website for more details.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:47   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitranshu View Post
Unfortunately none of map providers have decent highway coverage. Would not be a good idea to depend on GPS for highways.
Old 29th August 2009, 12:44   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I tried MMI on a Touch HD today. Satellite lock was impossible from a balcony in a high-rise. On the road without anything overhead, blessed thing took about 5 minutes to get satellite lock. Once locked, it was quite OK.

Yes, comparatively N82 is blazing fast at 1-2 minutes. iPhone is quite good too, same time as N82. I use Holux BT external, which gets a lock in 30 sec., as a comparison. Garmin PND does it in <1 min.
Have you updated the QuickGPS information? On my Touch HD, MMI locks satellites almost immediately and is pretty accurate.

\N
Old 30th August 2009, 09:14   #1035
BHPian

I have been using SATNAV's Satguide for around 1.5 years now. I find it quite accurate though the GPS signal takes some time to tune(at times).

I have also tried MMI and Garmin in my ASUS P527, they too work well(Garmin scores over MMI) but I still find Satguide to be better.

Satguide maps are not all that detailed for highways and off roads, but for city it is pretty decent. I have used it in Hyderabad and Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks