Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:46   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

I thought the N82 GPS antenna was also at the bottom?

It will run for a mere two hours without charging, but, with a car charger, I can keep it on charge; the wire is long enough that I can still put it by the windscreen.

A "proper" GPS navigation unit, with a handsomely-sized screen, has long been on my list of wanted toys --- but not needed badly enough to spend the cash. The N82 will do me for now, at least until I have occasion to drive much further than the Nokia coverage of Chennai.
Old 22nd August 2009, 23:33   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Guys I ahve a sony erricsson p990i. I downloaded google maps and my service provider is Vodafone. I tried a route search and it did work sort of step by step. I want to know if it can provide a constant live kind of navigation and turn by turn directions? Also since google says it is free will Vodafone be charging for its use?
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:51   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I thought the N82 GPS antenna was also at the bottom?
No, Thad. Its only in the bottom on the N95 since GPS was an afterthought addition and not an original part of N95 design. Logical position for any GPS antenna is on the top part of the phone.

Quote:
It will run for a mere two hours without charging, but, with a car charger, I can keep it on charge; the wire is long enough that I can still put it by the windscreen.
That's another aspect better in the N82 - battery life. My N95 conks off from full charge to power off in about half-hour if GPS is ON. So, car charger is must.

@wondernomad, Google maps is not to be used for navigation and they don't support such a feature. Infact, the map companies license map data to Google and Yahoo's of the world under the explicit condition that this data cannot be used for navigation.
mgmaps has limited navigation capability after doing the routing online through google.com.
Vodafone can only charge you for the GPRS data you use for routing using google.com server. The google maps app needs to contact the google maps servers for routing.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 23rd August 2009 at 00:54.
Old 23rd August 2009, 09:55   #1009
BHPian

I am currently using N82 with the Garmin mobile XT. Satellite locks in under 30 seconds and turn by turn navigation with voice. Works pretty well as long as the maps are updated. Depending upon the time of the day, the screen color combo changes to provide max visibility. During the day, display has white background with various colors to indicate roads, water bodies, etc. During the nights, display backgroud changes to black thus highlighting the roads clearly.

@wandernomad, are you using an external bluetooth GPS receiver with the p990i?

Last edited by wheeler : 23rd August 2009 at 09:57.
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:18   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, lancer_rit; I picked up some wrong information somewhere about the antenna position.
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:59   #1011

Anyone, any idea on the Mapmyindia devices for navigation ? I was thinking of getting one.
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:36   #1012
BHPian

I have updated to ovi maps on my Nokia N82. The map quality and the search functionality is a lot improved. Plus the placemarks can be synchronized online.

I really like the GPS of the N82. It is superfast. Haven't see the same with any other phone so far. It locks on to satellites even when placed completely away from any of the windows and even indoors. Any feedback on the quality of GPS of other phones?
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:53   #1013
Senior - BHPian

I tried MMI on a Touch HD today. Satellite lock was impossible from a balcony in a high-rise. On the road without anything overhead, blessed thing took about 5 minutes to get satellite lock. Once locked, it was quite OK.

Yes, comparatively N82 is blazing fast at 1-2 minutes. iPhone is quite good too, same time as N82. I use Holux BT external, which gets a lock in 30 sec., as a comparison. Garmin PND does it in <1 min.
Old 24th August 2009, 00:19   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
I have updated to ovi maps on my Nokia N82. The map quality and the search functionality is a lot improved. Plus the placemarks can be synchronized online.

I really like the GPS of the N82. It is superfast. Haven't see the same with any other phone so far. It locks on to satellites even when placed completely away from any of the windows and even indoors. Any feedback on the quality of GPS of other phones?

I have Nokia 5700 Xpress Music. Have installed Google Maps application. It just works flawlessly. But few times I noticed that the GPS reports some odd location with some different names(may be code names) not heard of places. To that I just close the application and start it again.

I was traveling from Pune-Mumbai by train and just for fun tried to use the GPS and it showed where exactly I was and would update in every few seconds or may be minute or two, dont exactly remember.

Also used while goin to Bhimashankar by Car. Worked just fine.

But for the map to refresh it also requires GPRS. Dont know how to get it worked if there is no GPRS on phone. May be to get it worked without GPRS will need to download an application that has all the location Maps within it, so that it does not require a net connection to load the map.

Last edited by tush : 24th August 2009 at 00:23.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:12   #1015
Senior - BHPian

@tush, use mgmaps with downloaded maps. The mgmaps site describes how to do it.

You need not close the application when it erroneously shows you are in a strange land lol, just use the 'where am I' command (usually the 0 key, I think). It will refresh the map all over again using the nearest cell phone tower, before resuming more accurate tracking with the GPS.
Old 24th August 2009, 12:18   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Lancer. But does p990i has GPS? If not google maps are there any other free maps available for navigation on p990i?
Old 24th August 2009, 12:21   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Thanks Lancer. But does p990i has GPS? If not google maps are there any other free maps available for navigation on p990i?
No Vikram, P990i doesn't have GPS.
Old 24th August 2009, 12:40   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitranshu View Post
Anyone, any idea on the Mapmyindia devices for navigation ? I was thinking of getting one.
They work pretty well. The device is just about the same as any other PND in terms of quality.

MMI maps are pretty decent in urban and semi-urban areas. There is not much detail outside that - only place names mentioned along NH, SH and major connecting roads.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:08   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitranshu View Post
Please a take a look at the following post: 4th picture onwards, please

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1337379

MMI does a decent job in and around my place. Then the interface could be improved a lot. Place names are spelt horribly. One ways sometimes are missed.

Go for it!

Last edited by trrk : 24th August 2009 at 13:09.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:20   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
No Vikram, P990i doesn't have GPS.
This means, another reason to pester Bhaiyaji with. Thanks Ashish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks