Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 14:41   #991
BHPian

OT. Esteem_Lover, could you please tell if you ordered from DealExtreme directly to India or someone in US helped you get it here? I observed that they ship free worldwide. But, dont we have problem with customs ? If we order directly from here, will there be any customs duty that I need to pay?
Old 12th August 2009, 14:45   #992
BHPian

Yes it got very good user review too.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:45   #993
Senior - BHPian

I have put up my satguide receiver for sale in the classifieds, let me know if interested.
Team-BHP Classifieds - GPS bluetooth receiver - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Last edited by gigy : 12th August 2009 at 14:59.
Old 12th August 2009, 14:50   #994
Senior - BHPian

I did not get that receiver from dealextreme, but got it through a friend from US.

But I have bought certain small items through dealextreme. Just wanted to test the waters. Got the items delivered through EMS Speedpost. Took a little longer than claimed but got through without any customs hazzles. The package was marked as a gift for me.
Old 12th August 2009, 15:06   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubsmart View Post
I observed that they ship free worldwide. But, dont we have problem with customs ? If we order directly from here, will there be any customs duty that I need to pay?
DX send sitems as gift. So you do not have to pay any customs if value is less than 10k.

However since you do not live in a metro, check if your city has a "Foreign post office" with customs dept. Otherwise it would take a long time for shipment to be completed.

See my post for details : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1425549-post33.html
Old 12th August 2009, 18:26   #996
BHPian

Now that today ISRO has released India specific maps "Bhuvan" which are said to rival Google Earth maps in terms resolution, how useful it will be for GPS purpose?
Old 12th August 2009, 19:15   #997
Senior - BHPian

It is a "great" help for projects like Openstreetmap.

But it would be useless for end-users unless ISRO also spends money on creating detailed POI and roadmaps.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:19   #998
BHPian

Bhuvan project

Hi

I downloaded the bhuvan plugin today. have to do a check now.
But they dont have any updated pictures or map, may be for some reasons of security.
my doubt is, can we use it as a GPS application in our cars?
Old 21st August 2009, 00:23   #999
BHPian

I have been trying to find some reviews on the GPS performance on GPS enabled phones but couldn't find any useful ones. My wife has an N82 and it has an amazing GPS performance. I have tried the GPS functionality on my friends N95, E66 and E71 and found them all to be pretty poor. It takes a long time to lock-in satellites. Would anybody be in a position to guide me on choosing a good GPS enabled phone?
Old 21st August 2009, 00:43   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an N82 too.

It can take quite a while to find itself initially, but, once it does it is very able to get me unlost in Chennai, or to make sure I don't miss a turning.

No turn-by-turn navigation, of course, unless one pays Nokia for it. Also, the size of the screen means it is a stop-and-look device, unless your eyesight is really good. For a reading-glass wearer, it is certainly stop-and-look.
Old 22nd August 2009, 01:25   #1001
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have an N82 too.
Are you sure you have A-GPS enabled?, If enabled, it shouldn't take more than say 30secs- 1min to catch the satellite. [there are exceptions to this at times]
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:52   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

No, I have A-GPS disabled, because I don't have a data connection enabled on my Aircel connection.
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:31   #1003
BHPian

iphone does wonders
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:17   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
... I have tried the GPS functionality on my friends N95, E66 and E71 and found them all to be pretty poor. ...
1. Try out the WiMo phones from HTC or ASUS. They are slightly better

2. It makes more sense to buy an external GPS receiver with Bluetooth connectivity with a phone that has BT but no GPS. All the combinations I have tried, starting with a Holux and an HTC Touch 3450, start working almost immediately (switch on the GPS receiver before you switch on the mapping application). Also, without the GPS receiver the battery drain on the handset is far less, reducing chances of running out of charge when you really need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have an N82 too. ...
Yes, the N82 takes a while to latch on to the satellites, especially if you are in an area with tall buildings hemming the road in. Doesn't improve with A-GPS either.

You could try mounting the N82 in a mobile phone holder - a gizmo costing about 300 bucks that sticks to the windshield using a suction cup, and holds the mobile phone conveniently. It's available at most car accessory shops. I have the same problem too, but I am able to see the screen clearly at that distance without reading glasses.

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd August 2009 at 18:26.
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:34   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
I have been trying to find some reviews on the GPS performance on GPS enabled phones but couldn't find any useful ones. My wife has an N82 and it has an amazing GPS performance. I have tried the GPS functionality on my friends N95, E66 and E71 and found them all to be pretty poor. It takes a long time to lock-in satellites. Would anybody be in a position to guide me on choosing a good GPS enabled phone?
N95 has the GPS receiver at the bottom of the phone. For best performance, one needs to open the slider. GPS lock is speeded up if you use AGPS on a GPRS connection (I have been using it for over 2 years now).

N82 is better for GPS lock than N95 since the receiver is better placed...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks