Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 11:14   #301
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about what you are talking about the digitized maps!!
However, you can use GE for navigation purpose (may not have that voice prompts and other features though). You need to pay $20 a year for GE Plus and that will let you use your GPS device for navigation...
Old 6th September 2007, 12:45   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Garmin Nuvi 610 is a good model with a big display. Last heard, the local Garmin office sells maps for 10K a piece. Contact GPS India - GPS, Aviation, Marine, Handheld, Navigation, Binoculars, Compass, Windwatch for details.
Interestingly they don't list any maps for India or its major cities. What is the point in having a web site for India and not list anything related to India? Anyways, I have written to them for some details like availability of maps for Indian highways and street maps for major cities like Chennai, Bangalore etc.
Old 9th September 2007, 10:46   #303
BHPian

WAAS does not work in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The more accurate system is called WAAS. It gives greater accuracy.
Based on my use in India, I found that when I had WAAS enabled satellites locked on, my EPE(Error) was around 25 feet. Without WAAS its around 60 feet.
For navigational use, for example in automobiles an EPE of 100 feet or so is pretty acceptable
WAAS won't work in India because it needs ground reference stations.

Garmin: What is WAAS?
Quote:
Currently, WAAS satellite coverage is only available in North America. There are no ground reference stations in South America, so even though GPS users there can receive WAAS, the signal has not been corrected and thus would not improve the accuracy of their unit. For some users in the U.S., the position of the satellites over the equator makes it difficult to receive the signals when trees or mountains obstruct the view of the horizon. WAAS signal reception is ideal for open land and marine applications. WAAS provides extended coverage both inland and offshore compared to the land-based DGPS (differential GPS) system. Another benefit of WAAS is that it does not require additional receiving equipment, while DGPS does.
Other governments are developing similar satellite-based differential systems. In Asia, it's the Japanese Multi-Functional Satellite Augmentation System (MSAS), while Europe has the Euro Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS). Eventually, GPS users around the world will have access to precise position data using these and other compatible systems.
Old 9th September 2007, 10:59   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
WAAS won't work in India because it needs ground reference stations.
The Indian varient "GAGAN" is supposed to start working from September. I got this info from a person on the Satguide Yahoo group. Yahoo! Groups . But he says you need to switch your GPS to WAAS mode.

Quote:
Dear Group,

I just heard from the program manager of GAGAN (the indian version of Ground assisted GPS like WAAS/EGNOS with .5 meter precision) and he says that the GAGAN signal will start transmitting test signals by September this year.

Though it will be fully operational for navigation assistance to the Aviation industry by 2010, but for people like us, the signal will be available from September this year.

He also says that we will have to modify our receivers for interpreting the GAGAN signal. I have asked him a query whether the GAGAN signal will be compatible with WAAS/EGNOS standards for the existing receivers to be able to interpret the signals. He is yet to get back on this.

Will keep you posted.

Just FYI.

Vikas
Quote:

DEAR Iqbal

I got a reply from the GAGAN manager and he says that WAAS/EGNOS enabled receivers should be able to work with it.

If you have a SiRF III chiip then it should be ok from firmware 3.1 onwards. If you want to check version of firmware then use Sirfdemo.

If you have a non-SiRF chip then I am not aware of the procdure.

You will need tools like GPS viewer to switch to WAAS mode.

I f you want to know exact procedure then let me know.

Be warned..... SiRFdemo Software is very fatal for your receiver if you don't know what you are doing. If in doubt let me know and I will point you to the correct procedure.

The Holux 236 is a SirF III chip.

Cheers
Vikas

Last edited by spadival : 9th September 2007 at 11:02.
Old 11th September 2007, 10:07   #305
Senior - BHPian

Well, I can't comment on the content of their site for India but when I checked with them they said that their maps come as a bundled package with the units purchased from them and they generally avoid selling the maps as a stand alone.

Hence no mention of the maps on their web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprabu View Post
Interestingly they don't list any maps for India or its major cities. What is the point in having a web site for India and not list anything related to India? Anyways, I have written to them for some details like availability of maps for Indian highways and street maps for major cities like Chennai, Bangalore etc.
Old 5th October 2007, 09:58   #306
BANNED

Map My India Navigator

HI
Do anyone use the new navigator (delphi NAV 200) from Mapmyindia?Is it worth the amount?From what I infer they should have the navigable maps of all the major indian cities as there website do contain detailed maps...
I am from kerala and will the navigation work here?
Regards
Dilip Kumar
Old 5th October 2007, 17:44   #307
Senior - BHPian

Delphi NAV200 is a new GPS gadget from Mapmyindia. Since the satellite 'looks' from several hunderd kilometeres above in the space, what has Kerala got to do with this?

The navigation will work the world over. It is the loaded maps that are important. if you don't have maps for your city in Kerala, then the device will only show the direction where you are heading - like east, west etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
HI
Do anyone use the new navigator (delphi NAV 200) from Mapmyindia?Is it worth the amount?From what I infer they should have the navigable maps of all the major indian cities as there website do contain detailed maps...
I am from kerala and will the navigation work here?
Regards
Dilip Kumar
Old 6th October 2007, 02:56   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

It will tell you very precisely where you are --- in latitude and longitude.

Old 6th October 2007, 12:11   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quite right. I didn't mention as this is a basic function of any GPS unit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It will tell you very precisely where you are --- in latitude and longitude.

Old 20th October 2007, 12:19   #310
Senior - BHPian

Do they (mapmyindia) provide just the map and the navigator software to be used with other pocket PC devices?? what I read from their website is this Delphi NAV200 is common pocketPC device running windows CE, but they dont mention anything about just the maps / navigation s/w deal on their website, hopefully they come with one such deal soon. I feel they have got better indian highway maps than satguide (based on the mapmyindia maps i see on their website).
Old 20th October 2007, 12:30   #311
Senior - BHPian

I was about to order GPS bluetooth dongle for 50 USD from Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! but than came across a HTC phone for 20k that has inbult GPS with mapking maps. Now the question is that would buying an external GPS receiver give me any functionality over a regular mobile with GPS reciever. Improved signals etc. Or is it basically the same and I should save my 50 bucks???
Old 21st October 2007, 06:25   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Do they (mapmyindia) provide just the map and the navigator software to be used with other pocket PC devices?? what I read from their website is this Delphi NAV200 is common pocketPC device running windows CE, but they dont mention anything about just the maps / navigation s/w deal on their website, hopefully they come with one such deal soon. I feel they have got better indian highway maps than satguide (based on the mapmyindia maps i see on their website).

They provide the product along with the maps and do not sell the maps seperately. Further do not get too much enamoured by the maps in their web portal www.mapmyindia.com the map on the website is too much detailed than what comes in the handheld navigator. I took a demo last week, but after comparing it to the map on the website its nothing so, I did not but the product. But one of their senior mgrs told me that in about 2-3 months they are comming out with an update which they say will be as detailed as the website maps.
Lets see till then..
Old 21st October 2007, 17:09   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Now the question is that would buying an external GPS receiver give me any functionality over a regular mobile with GPS reciever. Improved signals etc. Or is it basically the same???
I can just tell u my experience ... almost two years ago i started using gps and it was then that bought Holux GPS receiver and mapking maps from ItemsOfDesire.com (at that time gps device and map prices were kinda on the higher side) and started using it with my o2 xdaIIs (Rs. 45000/- then from O2 india).

3 months back after selling my equipment off, i shifted to O2 orbit which i bought from dubai (airport itself) and satguide maps (whose price i now find has almost halved on itemsofdesire)( SatGuide :: ItemsOfDesire.com ) ...

The perceptible delay i found in getting the first fix and the inability of the gps to get a fix in hill drive made me go crazy to an extent that i repented my descision of selling my old trusted gear.

Then i bought a GPS receiver and GPSwatch combo from Itemsofdesire ( GPS Navigation cum Tracking Combo for Mobile Phones :: GPS Combo Saver Deals! :: ItemsOfDesire.com ) and paired it with my o2 orbit ...

Guess what ... not only did GPSwatch work well, my Satguide maps which were going way off the road too started begaving properly!

So i concluded it has to be the inbuilt GPS receiver and which proved to be true after dicussion with an IIT professor last who explained that the inbuilt units are low power units and so suffer from performance loss!
Old 21st October 2007, 21:20   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
They provide the product along with the maps and do not sell the maps seperately. Further do not get too much enamoured by the maps in their web portal MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! the map on the website is too much detailed than what comes in the handheld navigator. I took a demo last week, but after comparing it to the map on the website its nothing so, I did not but the product. But one of their senior mgrs told me that in about 2-3 months they are comming out with an update which they say will be as detailed as the website maps.
Lets see till then..
True ... i have taken a demo of their navigator and its better not bought. i wonder why companies dump useless devices on us!
Old 22nd October 2007, 08:22   #315
BHPian

OK, I am a little excited about this. I reinstalled "Nokia Maps" on my phone (E61) today and found that Nokia has added street maps for Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi complete with Navigation and Voice Guidance. The GPS Guidance is a paid service where as the maps is basically free. I bought the navigation pack for 20 days to check out how it works. It works quite fine. I was traveling from Sarjapur road and had given IIM Bangalore as my target destination and it works :-). I was using my Bluetooth Headset to hear the Voice Guidance.

Most Viewed