Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2007, 23:28   #271
BHPian

Hi, anyone using Garmin nuvi ? are there maps of India available for this ?
Old 8th August 2007, 09:19   #272
Senior - BHPian

Dude, visit Handheld GPS India - GPS, Aviation, Marine, Handheld, Navigation, Binoculars, Compass, Windwatch and you will get the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Hi, anyone using Garmin nuvi ? are there maps of India available for this ?
Old 21st August 2007, 19:09   #273
Senior - BHPian

OT: Guys, have a look at Yahoo! India Maps. Yet another free map source for India.. yippee.. This one is even more detailed compared to Google maps. It seems to have names of even the tiniest villages and road.

The underlying map data is supplied by the company that runs MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!, but the maps seem to be of better quality.
Old 22nd August 2007, 16:52   #274
BHPian

Wow, I really like this yahoo maps, especially the hybrid mode, which combines the map & satellite image.
Old 26th August 2007, 17:58   #275
Ram
Senior - BHPian

New York City cabbies to oppose GPS receivers in their cars?

New York City municipal corp. has mandated that all New York taxis should be equipped with GPS technology beginning 1st Oct 2007.

The GPS system will provide real-time maps and help passengers recover lost property from cabs where they forgot them.

The City's Taxi and Limousine Commission has ruled that all New York City cabs must have touch-screen display panels, credit card readers, and GPS. Many taxis already have technologies which let passengers get news, route data, and other info.

Of course this means that a cabbie cannot take a tourist for a royal ride, just to recover a high fare. The map will give the game away and document a record for the cabbie to be prosecuted.

The New York Taxi Workers Alliance (8,400 members), feel that GPS infringes on drivers' privacy.

So they've planned to go on strike on 5th and 6th Sept 2007.

Read about it here.
Old 27th August 2007, 10:23   #276
Senior - BHPian

I thought that the world's one of the most developed country is immune to all this, but sadly this syndrome of resisting of making things lot more easier and simpler for the user does not afflict us alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
New York City municipal corp. has mandated that all New York taxis should be equipped with GPS technology beginning 1st Oct 2007.

The GPS system will provide real-time maps and help passengers recover lost property from cabs where they forgot them.

The City's Taxi and Limousine Commission has ruled that all New York City cabs must have touch-screen display panels, credit card readers, and GPS. Many taxis already have technologies which let passengers get news, route data, and other info.

Of course this means that a cabbie cannot take a tourist for a royal ride, just to recover a high fare. The map will give the game away and document a record for the cabbie to be prosecuted.

The New York Taxi Workers Alliance (8,400 members), feel that GPS infringes on drivers' privacy.

Read about it here.
Old 28th August 2007, 18:31   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post

Read about it here.

The New York cabbies are objecting because they own (or lease) their own cabs. If they were owned by a company, and the company were installing equipment, that would be a different matter.

Regardless, I think the issue of GPS in taxis deserves its own thread instead of being discussed with private GPS use.
Old 28th August 2007, 20:38   #278
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
The New York cabbies are objecting because they own (or lease) their own cabs. If they were owned by a company, and the company were installing equipment, that would be a different matter.
caliper, is the issue about shelling out money for a GPS receiver for the cab they own/lease,
or about loss of driver privacy (being visible to and traceable by the law)?
Old 28th August 2007, 22:04   #279
Team-BHP Support

I have a hiking GPS which was used as a driving one too. Now I am thinking of getting one for a car. I am leaning towards Garmin, because apparently they have maps for Delhi and Indian highways.
Is it true.
If I get the GPS from the US, can I buy maps for it separately.
How much do the Garmin maps cost?
Old 29th August 2007, 13:05   #280
Senior - BHPian

Garmin Nuvi 610 is a good model with a big display. Last heard, the local Garmin office sells maps for 10K a piece. Contact GPS India - GPS, Aviation, Marine, Handheld, Navigation, Binoculars, Compass, Windwatch for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have a hiking GPS which was used as a driving one too. Now I am thinking of getting one for a car. I am leaning towards Garmin, because apparently they have maps for Delhi and Indian highways.
Is it true.
If I get the GPS from the US, can I buy maps for it separately.
How much do the Garmin maps cost?
Old 29th August 2007, 22:31   #281
Team-BHP Support

gd, can you call them up and ask if they will sell maps for a unit purchased in the US (c330)
Old 30th August 2007, 01:09   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
gd, can you call them up and ask if they will sell maps for a unit purchased in the US (c330)
I have the same question too. I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and would love to have the maps of India loaded onto it. I have tried the website given (GPS India) and am not getting anywhere with it.
Old 2nd September 2007, 05:27   #283
BHPian

Guys. I have a way to get yahoo india maps in your cell phones for free.
Go to this website and you will get to know how to start. This is what I use in my N95 as Nokia has no maps for NCR ( not even basic maps )

Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!
Old 2nd September 2007, 05:30   #284
BHPian

And the best option for people who have winmo phones.
Go to Welcome to SatGuide
There you can purchase the maps of all the major cities at quite reasonable rates. From what I have seen on TV, these maps are routable ( unlike the maps from my earlier link )
Old 2nd September 2007, 05:35   #285
BHPian

HAven't checked if it is posted here, but ItemsOfDesire.com also sells gps products.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks