Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 35.00%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 24 40.00%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 14 23.33%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2006, 22:39   #181
BHPian

It seems that modern engine produces no waste of fuel..............its not so.even the best nozzle design cant change certain properties of fuel....

This is the quote......

Gasoline has physical properties which have a significant adverse effect on mixture preparation. First, gasoline is made up of many different components which vaporize at different temperatures. This property results in fractional distillation of gasoline which in turn causes spatial separation of fuel species in the air/fuel charge. Since different fuel components burn differently their spatial separation influences ignition and flame propagation. Second, gasoline is a Newtonian fluid which has properties which inhibit uniform spray formation, regardless of nozzle design. Similarly the Newtonian nature of gasoline establishes its wall wetting behavior when gasoline contacts a metal surface in the induction area of an engine. Poor uniformity of droplet size and distribution across the spray cross section and wall film formation in the induction channel cause poor air/fuel mixture preparation.

Enjoy...
Old 26th September 2006, 14:13   #182
BHPian

Acetone on Octavia 2L

Hi,
I tried acetone on my Octavia 2.0L Petrol. Just drove about 5 kms - did not find too much of a difference in pickup. I did about 2.5ml / litre over 40 litres.
BTW, I got 99.5% pure acetone - does this make a difference?
Thanks,
-P.
Old 28th September 2006, 08:35   #183
Senior - BHPian

Pure acetone

Pure acetone is minus additives. The regular run-of-the-mill nail polish remover is also acetone.. Anything pure is always good....!! Isn't that mothers always insist on..?..:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavia2
Hi,
I tried acetone on my Octavia 2.0L Petrol. Just drove about 5 kms - did not find too much of a difference in pickup. I did about 2.5ml / litre over 40 litres.
Thanks,
-P.
Old 28th September 2006, 08:39   #184
Senior - BHPian

Difference

Octavia2: If you read the threads on this subject from the very begining then you shall realise that 2.5 ml/ltr & 1.5 ml/ltr are the uppermost limit for petrol & diesel respectively. You have to experiment on the quantitiy of acetone per ltrs petrol for your vehicle and then settle for the best. You can start with 1.5ml/ltr and increase in 0.5 steps till 2.5 ml to see what gives you the best performance in terms of engine smoothness, pick-up with & without AC and FE.

Bests,

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks,
-P.
Old 28th September 2006, 10:23   #185
BHPian

Thanks for the info GD. I have shifted to 2.1 ml now - definitely a difference. I will probably go to about 1.75ml till I complete testing.

On the purity though - I checked with the chemist - he is a good friend of mine - he says there should be virtually no difference between 99.5% (lab grade) and 100%. Thoughts?

Thanks,
-P.
Old 28th September 2006, 15:50   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
jyobeb reported phenomenal results on his Dicor after adding acetone. I'm going to try it after I get my car back from general service today.
Dear steeroid,

What is your experience of using wonderful acetone in ur TATA DICOR?....do share for the benefit of board members.....

Dear jyobeb,

Kindly share your acetone experience in Dicor................

Enjoy........
Old 28th September 2006, 21:32   #187
Senior - BHPian

Acetone & Octavia

Octavia2: Will you please explain in detail - "definitely a difference". The purest acetone that we too get from our round the corner (Al)chemist states 99.5%. So no issues on this front..:-)

Quote:
Thanks for the info GD. I have shifted to 2.1 ml now - definitely a difference. I will probably go to about 1.75ml till I complete testing.

On the purity though - I checked with the chemist - he is a good friend of mine - he says there should be virtually no difference between 99.5% (lab grade) and 100%. Thoughts?

Thanks,
-P.
Old 1st October 2006, 10:00   #188
Senior - BHPian

Acetone & difference

Dear Steeroid & Octavia2: we are still waiting for inputs from both of you on the effect of acetone on DICOR & the difference experienced on Skoda after the reduction in the amount of acetone..
Old 1st October 2006, 10:24   #189
BHPian

Hi GD, I have posted reply for this about 3 times and our moderator seems to not be clearing my msgs for some reason. Anyways, the response and smoothness is better @ 2.1ml / litre but FE has gone down - not sure why. Will keep updating and replying if my msgs do get cleared!

Thanks,
-P.
Old 1st October 2006, 18:54   #190
BHPian

Hey Guys!!

heard this from a very experienced car salesman in pune (working for tata). this dude has had sales experience in canada, brazil, & south africa. i queried him on this subject, since i too wanted this in my car, but he says that in the long run, the engine does get damaged due to the fact that acetone has an adverse effect on the lubrication system of the engine. in the long run, the insides of the engine become so slick that ones the vehicle is switched off, the lubrication cannot stick to the inner parts & falls into the sump. thus when a vehicle is started, maximum wear & tear takes place & the engine may even seize!!
Old 1st October 2006, 22:01   #191
BHPian

God, Just to make sure that I feel comfortable before I try, I went thru all the posting in all the 13 pages! Now most of the response seems to be positive, except few apprehension (without much proof of course). But the last reply from 1self seems to be a valid one.

Just imagine this. Acetone is a good remover of nail polish, fevicol/quick, even paints in some cases. Thats means the lubricant that stuck in the engine parts for lubrication, also can be removed by this acetone. In the long run, this may cause problem as he mentioned. Sounds logical and reasonable.

Just wanted to initiate some thoughts so that the mechanical and chemistry minds can do some overtime work! ;-)
Old 2nd October 2006, 07:44   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

sgm, that would be especially true if the acetone remained inside the engine.

More logic here:
* The acetone will be burned away with the fuel. Without accumulation, how will it be able to affect any lubricant?
* At the temperatures inside the engine, will acetone still have the same solvent capability as it has at room temperature?
Old 2nd October 2006, 09:08   #193
Senior - BHPian

Apprehension

Hello SGM, while acetone is a powerful industrial solvent, the mixture here is 1.5 ml per ltr in diesel and 2.5 in petrol. Now, that is a miniscule quantity plus in the combustion chamber under those extreme temperature acetone would just evaporate. You would require a bigger quantity of acetone to be added directly to the engine sump to thin out the mobil and cause damage, if at all, as suggested by 1self's post....

BTW, have been using this combo on my diesel Safari of 1998 vintage for the last several months. Not that it is a 1998, but have also been using in the Honda Accord 3.0 vtec of circa 2006...!!! And the Honda is still under warranty....:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser
God, Just to make sure that I feel comfortable before I try, I went thru all the posting in all the 13 pages! Now most of the response seems to be positive, except few apprehension (without much proof of course). But the last reply from 1self seems to be a valid one.

Just imagine this. Acetone is a good remover of nail polish, fevicol/quick, even paints in some cases. Thats means the lubricant that stuck in the engine parts for lubrication, also can be removed by this acetone. In the long run, this may cause problem as he mentioned. Sounds logical and reasonable.

Just wanted to initiate some thoughts so that the mechanical and chemistry minds can do some overtime work! ;-)
Old 2nd October 2006, 18:53   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser
Thats means the lubricant that stuck in the engine parts for lubrication, also can be removed by this acetone.
sgm, are you talking of the crank-case or combustion chamber?
Old 2nd October 2006, 21:07   #195
BHPian

Happy Dussara to all & to our moderators who work very hard to keep this forum running,

About acetone.......its boiling point is 56.6 C........means at this temparature the liquid turns into vapour.......now once mixed with fuels it evaporates fast & help to improve evaporation of fuel particles which otherwise because in liquid state cant take active part in combustion.......Remember for fuel to burn they must be in gaseous form........faster they evaporate faster they take past in combustion before exhuast valve opens.....there is no chance that it can remain in combustion chamber............

Enjoy..........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks