Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 12:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: WD-40 / Zorrik : Uses, Restrictions, Limitations & Pitfalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Can I use WD-40 for removing sticker glue residue from car body? Will it damage the paint?
Thanks in advance.
You can use WD40 for that, you can use Diesel and is cheaper.
Don't use on the inside, it will smell a lot.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 16:59   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
You can use WD40 for that, you can use Diesel and is cheaper.
Don't use on the inside, it will smell a lot.
You can also use petrol or kerosene/paraffin. WD 40 does not damage paint. I use it sparingly on my motorcycle in the monsoons - spray lightly and wipe - to repel water, in lieu of a wax/silicone polish ! Adds a healthy shine, though temporarily. The same effect, i.e. removing grime and repelling water while adding shine, can also be had by wiping with a cloth soaked in diesel oil !
Old 28th October 2015, 01:10   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Need a few suggestions from fellow BHPians.

My objective-

Since my beloved 800 is now almost 16 years old, I am beginning to be a bit on the defensive side as far as rusting is concerned. Till date, there isn't any rusting and surface rust on places like crossmember etc, if any, is dealt severely with sanding, followed by primer, paint and antirust. I would like to be safe from rust, as it is a like a cancer once if affects metal.

In most cars, running board corrosion is one of the main cause of worries. I inspected my running board from small holes and found it to be intact, with a layer of dust only.

I initially planned to get access to that region from inside by removing the interior trims, and clean it, but the holes are too small to pass even a paint brush. So thought of pouring used engine oil so that moisture doesn't come in contact with metal. But one of my friends suggested me to spray Zorrik88 generously inside. I liked his idea, still thought of confirming once with you BHPians!!

My concern-

1. Will Zorrik88 cause any damage to the primer inside??

2. Will it stay long enough to serve my purpose, or is it volatile?? Even if it lasts a year, I'm fine.

Kindly point out any negatives to my idea, and/or better suggestions for the same.

The hole through which the insides of running board is accesible.
WD-40 / Zorrik : Uses, Restrictions, Limitations & Pitfalls-img20151027wa0032.jpeg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 28th October 2015 at 01:27.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 10:48   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

2. Will it stay long enough to serve my purpose, or is it volatile?? Even if it lasts a year, I'm fine.
WD40/Zorrick are not for rust prevention. They are for cleaning surface rust etc., For protection use engine oil or any industrial oil
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 12:11   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Kindly point out any negatives to my idea, and/or better suggestions for the same.
Adding on to what tsk1979 said:
1. I don't believe WD40/Zorrik88 will cause any paint/primer damage, as it is used on joints, etc. that are painted and greased.
2. However, it won't last at all - WD40/Zorrik88 all have very volatile compounds meant to dry up and lift off moisture. Same reason why they advise us not to use it near a flame.
3. 3M offer a cavity protection option called 'Internal Panel Protection'. They inject a foam-like substance into these sort of panels (rocker panel, door, etc.) which coats the metal and prevents moisture reaching the metal. Knowing 3M, it will be a quality product with a quality price tag - so please check. I don't know of anyone who's actually opted for performing this. When I enquired in 3M Bangalore, they said that they don't stock this as there's no demand (particularly as its not a coastal area).
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:06   #36
BHPian

The other option is to use Tufkote cavity wax and rust dissolving primers.

Good alternate option for all cavity related work and issues.

* Neither am I advertising or promoting this product. I have used these products and sharing my experience for benefits of others.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 23:44   #37
BANNED

hey i accidentally sprayed zorric into the brake lines of my car during the process of removing a tight nut from abs unit...i was able to see the sprayed content seeping into the tubes..will it cause any trouble to my braking system?
Old 27th February 2016, 00:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

How about rust off from wurth? Its pretty good too.
Old 27th February 2016, 08:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

For those who want to use WD40 for lubrication : I tried it on the door latch and now the latch mechanism has started malfunctioning. I tried it on the door lock of the Accord with the same results.

It is great for cleaning contact points, or to remove rust, but I wouldn't use it on locks as lubricant.
Old 27th February 2016, 09:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
For those who want to use WD40 for lubrication : I tried it on the door latch and now the latch mechanism has started malfunctioning. I tried it on the door lock of the Accord with the same results.

It is great for cleaning contact points, or to remove rust, but I wouldn't use it on locks as lubricant.

Its not a lubricant. Please don't use WD40 as a lubricant replacement. WD40 is to be used as mentioned on the can, for rust removal, for loosening tight nuts and for preventing/stopping squeaks. that's it.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 09:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFI View Post
hey i accidentally sprayed zorric into the brake lines of my car during the process of removing a tight nut from abs unit...i was able to see the sprayed content seeping into the tubes..will it cause any trouble to my braking system?
Just use petrol to wash the lubricant off... Nothing to worry.
Old 27th February 2016, 09:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
WD40/Zorrick are not for rust prevention. They are for cleaning surface rust etc., For protection use engine oil or any industrial oil
Agree. i think WD40 can be a bit hygroscopic so is definitely NOT for rust prevention. Use a light oil. I prefer sewing machine oil.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 17:28   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the doors in Alto is acting weird. It doesn't open on the first few yanks of the inside door handle. But opens after a few tries. And does not happen all the time. Strikes unpredictably. Can WD-40 sprayed on the locking mechanism help? Should I open the door pad and spray?
Old 4th February 2017, 18:16   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
One of the doors in Alto is acting weird. It doesn't open on the first few yanks of the inside door handle. But opens after a few tries. And does not happen all the time. Strikes unpredictably.
Not a lubrication problem IMO. Looks like some plastic bit in the handle is broken. Get it checked out - maybe a new door handle would be required.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 14:32   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not a lubrication problem IMO. Looks like some plastic bit in the handle is broken. Get it checked out - maybe a new door handle would be required.
Thanks doc, will get it checked at my FNG then.

On the other car, there is a small squeaking noise from the driver side third row jump seat. As usual, Mahindra ASC messes it up more than rectifying everytime.

From what I have seen, it squeaks on bad roads, and also when I yank it a little by hand. Can the WD-40 help in such cases? I am not really sure what is causing these squeaks. The passenger side seat seems perfectly fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks