Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2012, 22:48   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
True my question is in case of no crack should i push for replacement
Push politely, though they may not budge as the ASC guys know to some extent whether the replaced RTB would be inspected by Ford or not, hence they might not take chances, but no harm in trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Will ford try to cheat a customer out of a replacement, especially if it costs Rs.10000/-?
And (@Sheel) if the red paint or feeler is so user dependent, shouldn't Ford replace it for all the cars of that particular batch? instead of waiting for the cracks to appear.
No one knows that. I believe there would be two vendors or something similar. One's RTB wasn't up-to Ford's standard. Hence the recall... (Its purely conjecture & my POV)

Quote:

However, please note. The chemicals are not applied in the entire length of the beam, the middle portion is not tested. I enquired and I was told that it is how it is. I did not have an option but to keep quite.

My worry is only this, in last 2+ years of owning this car, there have been very few instances when the back seat was occupied. That too by adults. So, in a way the real strength of the RTB is not yet tested. I hope, if by any chance (and god forbid) the issue occurs later (say 1 to 2 years from now) Ford will own up becuase my car belong to the lot where it was/is a known issue and do not say that since the recall program is over it isn't Ford's responsiblity any more. Keeping my fingers crossed.

And yeah,the PSA thing was not even tested.
In my case, the entire RTB was cleaned & sprayed. I am putting up a picture, but because of the spray I don't think the ends are visible, still...

Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-picture.jpg

Quote:
@New.Novice: of course ford is not responsible. They have inspected your car, extensively tested according to industry standards and documented that your car RTB is 100% perfect.
Now even if you develop a crack on the exit ramp from the service station, you will have to pay for a replacement from your pocket, from which the dealer will get labour + a percentage of the part cost.
If you were unsatisfied with the testing, you should not have signed the pre delivery inspection card which you did while dropping the car off itself.
Well, what I had thought was this - In case my Car didn't fall in the RTB replacement category, I shall take it in written from the ASC, stamped & duly signed. Maybe, concerned folks can try this.

EDIT: Ask the measurement test to be done by the Service Manager or trained mechanic/technician. Mine couldn't be detected by the mechanic, sprayed the liquid till kingdom came, but no result. Suddenly the head-mechanic passes by, checks & nods as a replacement sample.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st September 2012 at 22:52.
Old 2nd September 2012, 22:23   #152
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

Quote:
@New.Novice: of course ford is not responsible. They have inspected your car, extensively tested according to industry standards and documented that your car RTB is 100% perfect.
Now even if you develop a crack on the exit ramp from the service station, you will have to pay for a replacement from your pocket, from which the dealer will get labour + a percentage of the part cost.
If you were unsatisfied with the testing, you should not have signed the pre delivery inspection card which you did while dropping the car off itself.
Really, is it really that simple?

We are not talking about a paint job which I ordered on my car. They did it, I saw and nodded my head in agreement and drove off. Now if I dont find the color shine or gloss to my satisfaction next day, I can't go back and say it isn't right. Of course I gave my consent a day before and signed off the sheet that said work done to my satisfaction.

We are talking about a part of the car which Ford sold to me "assuring" me that there is nothing wrong with the whole car or any part of it. Later, Ford realises that one of the piece in "my lot of cars" is faulty and need be tested and calls me to do the inspection done. They do and at the point in time when they do it, it comes out fine. And here I would re-iterate what i said in my earlier post, for all practical purposes the strength of this particular piece is not yet tested. What if it goes kaput when it really is tested.

Besides, is it really my responsiblity to "certify" the testing done by Ford here? It's a recall they planned and executed. I was not suppose to be there while they test it neither can I influence any which way the outcome of testing (unlike a paid replacement where I can push them to change or not change depending upon what I want). So if they decided not to change, I am fine with that. If it breaks later, I for sure going to put it on Ford and let them prove it is not becuase they sold me a faulty piece where the problem did not manifest itself by the time they decided to check.
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:56   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Really, is it really that simple?
I think instead of having doubts, call the Ford Helpline and talk to them about this issue. Or call the Service Manager and get it in writing about this. If you still have doubts, you can always email write2md@ford.com .

They are very prompt in giving a reply.

No point in getting diverse opinions about something that only Ford can help you with finally.
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:36   #154
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I had my RTB replacement done on 22nd August. Gave them two days sufficient time for them to work. As expected the car was ready only on the second day evening.

I have been getting a noise on the left front on bad roads. The technician diagnosed as "link rod" failure and was replaced on chargeable basis.
The cost of link rod (Rane) - 1200/- and labour - 140/-.

The noise disappeared, but started getting huge "dum" sound on good roads especially from the left rear. It happened thrice last week after RTB change. Sent a mail to FORD and also copied to MPL. I was suspecting "coil springs not seated as per the markings". I mentioned this in my mail also.

Went there last monday and one senior technician asked me to wait and checked the car and found the left coil spring was not seated properly. He was able to rotate and each time it gave a sound. Loosened the shocks nut, placed the coil spring as per the marking and tightened everything. Car was ready in a matter for 15 minutes.

The "dum" sound is disappeared but I get a "tak tak" sound from the same left rear while moving the car in 1st. Need to go after rain.

Do not do a test ride (after RTB replacement) during rain or on watery roads as the noise will be obsorbed.
Old 4th September 2012, 15:40   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
They also checked the PS hose and was told that there is a minor oil leakage and was asked to come next week for want of spares! I got a body wash done for free. I have to go back to lathangi tomorrow to get the PS hose issue to be attended.
Well it was not the PS hose, The PS rack had developed a leak. I was advised to comeback to get this changed as they did not have the spares. I went y'day to Lathangi at noon and was told to come back in the evening! When I did I got a shock of my life, the part costed almost 12k including labor however since I had extended warranty I paid only 450/- for the oil

Today on my way to the office I noticed that the steering was hard and was getting stuck when i turned it to the left. Also the car was steering/dragging to the left. I called them and gave them a piece of my mind and they took the car back. Have to call them to check the status.

Any idea why the PS rack developed a leak in the first place? Has anyone got it changed in the recent past?

Last edited by sumathindra : 4th September 2012 at 15:41. Reason: edits
Old 5th September 2012, 15:13   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Today on my way to the office I noticed that the steering was hard and was getting stuck when i turned it to the left. Also the car was steering/dragging to the left. I called them and gave them a piece of my mind and they took the car back. Have to call them to check the status.
A quick update on this. Last evening I called lathangi to check the status and what I heard made me fume . The new PS rack they had installed had a defect and hence I was facing the issues and they requested me to keep the car overnight for work to be done today. I have been told now that they have replaced it again and will be sending the other rack to chennai ford for inspection. I am yet to hear from them on the delivery of my car! Man this is getting frustrating now...Has any one faced PS rack issues in their FIGO's?

Last edited by sumathindra : 5th September 2012 at 15:15. Reason: edits
Old 5th September 2012, 19:56   #157
BHPian

Called up Lathangi Ford Banerghatta road to fix an appointment for the RTB inspection on my Figo TDCi for 8th, Saturday. But unfortunately, they have ran out of the part and is not sure when the new batch will arrive. They are taking down the contact details of the customers and promised me a call back once the part is available with them. Hope they are able to get it before end of next week since I'll be in Bangalore only till 19th, and would love to get it checked before leaving.

Last edited by jayded : 5th September 2012 at 20:01.
Old 8th September 2012, 12:30   #158
BHPian

My diesel Figo ( Feb 2011 ) was not on the recall list and also on the Ford's service site, my VIN did not show up for replacement for the PS hose.

But the car developed annoying steering noises in the last month, especially when starting though there was no actual problem with the steering performance.

When I went for the 20K service (Elite Ford, Mahadevpura, Bangalore ), they diagnosed it as the PS hose and the oil leakage issue and have replaced it for free.

So bottom-line, check your Figo up even if it doesn't show up on any list.
Old 10th September 2012, 18:00   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Called up Lathangi Ford Banerghatta road to fix an appointment for the RTB inspection on my Figo TDCi for 8th, Saturday. But unfortunately, they have ran out of the part and is not sure when the new batch will arrive. They are taking down the contact details of the customers and promised me a call back once the part is available with them. Hope they are able to get it before end of next week since I'll be in Bangalore only till 19th, and would love to get it checked before leaving.
Did you try calling the other dealerships to check for availability?
Old 10th September 2012, 18:28   #160
Senior - BHPian

Got rid of the squeak which began after the RTB replacement few weeks back.
Had complained about the same during the third service but no action was taken. The noise started becoming annoying becuase it was there all the time and went to Metro Ford Lingrajapuram and told them the same.
They took it for a spin inside their compound which was enough for them to hear.

The rubber pad was not fitted well during the RTB replacement which led to metal to metal rubbing. Issue was fixed in ten minutes.

I realized if I tell them anything extra during routine service, it is pointless.
It is best to go another day just to sort out the issue and it is done well.

Last edited by tharian : 10th September 2012 at 18:30. Reason: typo
Old 10th September 2012, 19:35   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian
Got rid of the squeak which began after the RTB replacement few weeks back.
Had complained about the same during the third service but no action was taken. The noise started becoming annoying becuase it was there all the time and went to Metro Ford Lingrajapuram and told them the same.
They took it for a spin inside their compound which was enough for them to hear.

The rubber pad was not fitted well during the RTB replacement which led to metal to metal rubbing. Issue was fixed in ten minutes.

I realized if I tell them anything extra during routine service, it is pointless.
It is best to go another day just to sort out the issue and it is done well.
Where exactly is this rubber pad located? A pic would be an added bonus here. My car is also squeaking real bad and I want to know exact cause and cure so as to get over with it asap without the service guy playing around with the rear suspension.
Old 10th September 2012, 20:04   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Did you try calling the other dealerships to check for availability?
Actually no. I am not too familiar with the roads in Bangalore and I thought it would be better to go to Lathangi Ford Banerghatta road as it's like less than a km from my sister's flat where I will be staying for the week.

Also I have not removed my sunfilms yet , so thought to avoid taking risks
Old 10th September 2012, 21:43   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Actually no. I am not too familiar with the roads in Bangalore and I thought it would be better to go to Lathangi Ford Banerghatta road as it's like less than a km from my sister's flat where I will be staying for the week.

Also I have not removed my sunfilms yet , so thought to avoid taking risks
Agree that Lathangi is very convenient for you however my personal experience with their service center is very bad. I had bought my Figo through them but dont go their since my 1st service experience. If you have the time and GPS, you can try elite ford or Metro ford though both are kind of far. Also dont worry about tinted glasses, i drive around on my other car and no issues so far . Barely any checking in the city.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 22:47   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Where exactly is this rubber pad located? A pic would be an added bonus here. My car is also squeaking real bad and I want to know exact cause and cure so as to get over with it asap without the service guy playing around with the rear suspension.
I am not aware the location exactly since I do not enter the work area. I was watching the work from the entrance of the work area.

The car was jacked up and one mech was pulling the wheel down so as to expand the coil spring and another mech was doing something when the wheel was held down. My guess would be there is a pad probably above the coil spring.
The noise was actually similar to a rubber grinding noise which later became a creaking noise which persisted as soon as the wheel started rotating.

After the work I was taken for a test by the mech, not the advisor, and I asked him what was done and he said the rubber padding had shifted which led to metal to metal rubbing. That was fixed properly now and there is no more sounds .
Old 10th September 2012, 23:18   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Agree that Lathangi is very convenient for you however my personal experience with their service center is very bad. I had bought my Figo through them but dont go their since my 1st service experience. If you have the time and GPS, you can try elite ford or Metro ford though both are kind of far. Also dont worry about tinted glasses, i drive around on my other car and no issues so far . Barely any checking in the city.
I've heard bad reviews about them, but since this is not a routine service and just requires a check-up and replacement if found defective, I think any A.S.S. will be able to do it. Anyways let me see if they can source the part at least by next weekend, else will do the inspection at Hyderabad Fortune Ford when I get back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks