Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 18:39   #136
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

Got my PAS and RTB replaced today. Gave the car on saturday and got it today. The service was fine but being the only service center in Goa and having a huge population figos and fiestas the job took too long.

I am not too sure what sounds other owners are experiencing in their figos but my car has a springy/moaning sound right from day one and even after replacing the RTB the sound remains though it hasn't increased w.r.t before the replacement.
The sound is mostly heard when 2 or more people sits in the back or while getting out of the car or when one is on a slope and at low speeds applies the brake.I feel this is the sound of the rear coil springs(correct??), dont think its got any thing to do with the RTB, even my New Honda city has this but no where as loud as the figo.Anyone more knowledgeable please give your opinions.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 11:48   #137
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

Got the Rear Twist Beam of my Dec '10 manufactured Figo D yesterday.

The red spray thing - They first clean it with some kind of liquid (to free the RTB of grime & muck) and then spray this red liquid. The red liquid spray once it dries up shows fine crack lines (if they are present).

The other checking method is via a feeler. They check the width of the RTB & if variables are find it is changed.

The bloke in charge of my Car, didn't have the skills to check with a feeler. Its a child's job as one mechanic (trained) came & showed him that my car needs a replacement. And all he was doing is spraying & spraying & made my rear alloy wheels red

There was no problem what so ever with the twist beam of my Car and the PS issue is for the 1.2 petrol powered Figos.

They managed to fit the OE clips holding the ABS wire. I tried to pull it out (gently of course) but they stuck fine, so its good.

I just wish they got to the Car & the work starts faster. The floor was being wiped till 11 am (Gateway Ford @ Siliguri)
Old 28th August 2012, 16:20   #138
BHPian

Yesterday out of frustration I banged up the rear right coil spring which was making noise. It moved for 1-2 mm and then got Stuck @ that position. More banging and that thing was not moving. Today when I drove the car over the same terrible roads, that sound was non-existent.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 28th August 2012 at 16:22.
Old 31st August 2012, 01:13   #139
BHPian

Went for the RTB and PAS replacement yesterday to Metro Ford St. Marks Road yesterday. Service Advisor Venkatesh was in charge of my car and what a blessing in disguise it was to have him. Looks after the car with all the affection it rightfully deserves. If anyone is visiting St. Marks road ASC, suggest you call him. You can reach him at 9902012623.

Coming back to topic, my car which is a petrol Figo ZXi 2010 model needed only the PAS to be replaced. The RTB it seems passed the spray and tool test so that was left as it is.

The dye that they sprayed was also chargeable as shown on the invoice, however one doesn't have to pay for it due to this being a recall program.

Is the RTB replacement compulsory for 2010 petrol Figo zxi or for the diesel models? Im kind of worried about that since I dont know if later on my car develops RTB problems will it be replaced FOC or charged?

Regards.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:24   #140
BHPian

Just a small query which i forgot to ask last night. Did anyone notice any burning smell coming on revving the engine after PAS replacement? Ive currently dismissed it as the PS fluid getting burnt with the engine heat. I had seen some PS fluid accumulated on the underbody after the replacement.

Is this assumption correct or should i be worried? Ive driven the car only once after the replacement.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:38   #141
BHPian

I had given bit of a bad feedback regarding the RTB replacement. So I immediately got a call from the dealership where I had done it. They asked me to get the car there asap as I had complained of springy noises.

I went there the next day and Mr.Prasad handled the case. A very soft person, he patiently went over the whole issue and surprisingly the noise had disappeared. I was befuddled as it was very much present over speedbreakers. Probably when the car has no luggage, it makes the noise?

Anyway - the issue has disappeared and now all is well in Figolandia.
Old 31st August 2012, 20:39   #142
BHPian

i am glad that i dont hear any more rattling noises. all the noises have stopped. touch wood. i can now drive with out music playing too. on the driving front i dont find any difference. the RTB replacement has put in more confidence.
Old 1st September 2012, 10:07   #143
BHPian

At ford. The measurements test concluded no problem with rtb. The spray test is on. If it shows no crack should i be happy or try n push for replacement?
Old 1st September 2012, 10:11   #144
Team-BHP Support

Whether you push for replacement or not, if crack/s are found, your RTB shall be replaced. No questions asked.

This is what was conveyed to me.
Old 1st September 2012, 10:16   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
Whether you push for replacement or not, if crack/s are found, your RTB shall be replaced. No questions asked.

This is what was conveyed to me.
True my question is in case of no crack should i push for replacement
Old 1st September 2012, 10:46   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
True my question is in case of no crack should i push for replacement
If it aint broken, dont fix it. You can push, but they might not budge. This part costs them close to 10K.
Old 1st September 2012, 18:18   #147
BHPian

I stumbled onto this thread a short while ago. My thanks to all the members who have posted on it.
Here's my story.
Was in Mumbai from 14th to 20th Aug & read about the recall in a newspaper there. A few days after returning to Kolkata called up Ganges Ford's Memanpur workshop. The lady asked for my car (2009 Fiesta 1.6) registration number, checked & said it wasn't on the recall list.
When I typed my VIN into the Ford site (thanks to the link on this thread) out came FSA number S1204 for RTB replacement.
Called up Ganges Ford's Topsia workshop this time. Didn't tell the lady anything about what had transpired earlier & just asked if my car was on recall list. She didn't even bother asking for registration number or VIN. Told me that info on recall & necessary spares would be available only after 3rd Sep & asked me to call up on 4th Sep.
Called up Memanpur workshop immediately, reminded the lady about what she had said earlier & the contradictory finding on Ford website. She took my vehicle registration number again & called back after a few minutes to say that my car was indeed on the recall list. However the spare wasn't available.
Till the spare becomes available I guess I am free to wonder whether I will end up with broken clips, dangling ABS wires, strange suspension noises or worse.
I wouldn't be so lucky as to not require an RTB replacement!
Old 1st September 2012, 18:56   #148
Senior - BHPian

Will ford try to cheat a customer out of a replacement, especially if it costs Rs.10000/-?
And (@Sheel) if the red paint or feeler is so user dependent, shouldn't Ford replace it for all the cars of that particular batch? instead of waiting for the cracks to appear.
Old 1st September 2012, 19:08   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Will ford try to cheat a customer out of a replacement, especially if it costs Rs.10000/-?
And (@Sheel) if the red paint or feeler is so user dependent, shouldn't Ford replace it for all the cars of that particular batch? instead of waiting for the cracks to appear.
+1 to that.

Came back without a replacement. They first used a vernier calliper at two remote ends of the RTB and concluded nothing is out of shape. Then it was turn for the "chemical" test. 3 different solutions applied. First one which to me looked like a "cleaning agent". Then the red/pink one. And after about 20 minutes the third and last which will show up cracks on that "now pink" surface. Apprently no cracks seen.

However, please note. The chemicals are not applied in the entire length of the beam, the middle portion is not tested. I enquired and I was told that it is how it is. I did not have an option but to keep quite.

My worry is only this, in last 2+ years of owning this car, there have been very few instances when the back seat was occupied. That too by adults. So, in a way the real strength of the RTB is not yet tested. I hope, if by any chance (and god forbid) the issue occurs later (say 1 to 2 years from now) Ford will own up becuase my car belong to the lot where it was/is a known issue and do not say that since the recall program is over it isn't Ford's responsiblity any more. Keeping my fingers crossed.

And yeah,the PSA thing was not even tested.

Last edited by New.Novice : 1st September 2012 at 19:11.
Old 1st September 2012, 19:23   #150
Senior - BHPian

@New.Novice: of course ford is not responsible. They have inspected your car, extensively tested according to industry standards and documented that your car RTB is 100% perfect.
Now even if you develop a crack on the exit ramp from the service station, you will have to pay for a replacement from your pocket, from which the dealer will get labour + a percentage of the part cost.
If you were unsatisfied with the testing, you should not have signed the pre delivery inspection card which you did while dropping the car off itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks