Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2018, 12:30   #166
BHPian

Re: Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Guys, I own the 2014 Polo 1.6 GT TDI, which has been serviced through OEM until now. I don't have any active warranty anymore (obviously), and the car is due for the 60K service.

Like many others here, I have been pestered with 'Diesel-gate software update' calls from a year now. When I called up my known SA in Mysore for an appointment, he informed me that they have been strictly instructed not to allot a service slot without an acknowledgement from the customer to go ahead with the software update.

So in short, Bye Bye VW Service, and Hello 'Gannu' D.I.Y.

The major concern I have is about the engine oil. I am planning to get the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Is this fine, or should I go with any other better brand/grade?
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 only meets VW 502.00/505.00 specs. If your car's engine requires these, please go ahead otherwise look somewhere else.

It would be much better if you can go to the relevant section of your owner's manual and find out the correct specs recommended by the OEM. That would help a lot in order to make a suitable recommendation.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 13:51   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 only meets VW 502.00/505.00 specs.
Thank you Vikram.

From what I understand, the VW TDI engines sold in India are Diesel engines without diesel particulate filter. And as per the manual, the 'Permitted Oil Specification' is VW 505.

So the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 must comply to this right?

Please advise.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 00:53   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Thank you Vikram.

From what I understand, the VW TDI engines sold in India are Diesel engines without diesel particulate filter. And as per the manual, the 'Permitted Oil Specification' is VW 505.

So the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 must comply to this right?

Please advise.
My knowledge of VW engines is limited however I’ll try to help the best I can.

My research tells me that VW in India sold 5th generation Polo (Type 6R/6C/61) with a 1.6L turbocharged straight-4 16-valve diesel engine that developed 66 kW (90 PS) and 77 kW (105 PS) in two different states of tune.

VW 505.00 is actually an old diesel spec., the current spec is 505.01. However, since some of the VW diesel cars at that time sold in India were without DPF (I assume owing to poor quality diesel fuel/high sulfur content), I assume VW is using an older spec just like many other global manufacturers operating in India.

Please note that using a VW 505.00 oil in an engine that calls for VW 505.01 specification is not recommended. I'm sure there are lubricant manufacturers/marketers operating in India that have a suitable engine oil that meets 505.01 (e.g., Liqui Moly). Liqui Moly markets TOP TEC 4200 5W-30 oil in European markets that meets both the 505.00 and 505.01 specifications. You will have to confirm its availability in India.

Please also confirm if a particular viscosity of the engine oil is also recommended in the manual such as 0W/5W-30 etc. (very common for a number of VW engines) if not then Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 should be okay as long as it meets the OEM's recommended specs. Please also consult your SA at the local VW dealership.

I cannot emphasize enough that you must exercise extreme caution with small displacement European diesel engines as these are very high compression ratio/close tolerance diesel motors that operate at relatively elevated temperatures and are very temperamental.

I’m enclosing a couple of charts that will also help (source: vwpolo.net and oilspecifications.org).

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-vw-oils.jpg

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-vw-oils-1.jpg

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 19th April 2018 at 01:01. Reason: Additional information added
Vikram Arya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 10:18   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
My knowledge of VW engines is limited however I’ll try to help the best I can.
If you term this sort of understanding as 'Limited' Vikram, then I guess my knowledge is still zilch!!

Really appreciate the details that you have provided and will source either the Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5W40 or the Liquimoly Top Tec 4100 5W-40 oil before getting into the service.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 11:12   #170
BHPian

There is also Motul 8100 X-Clean 5W-40 that conforms to VW 505.01 specification.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 14:07   #171
Senior - BHPian

I last used 100% synthetic Castrol Edge Titanium 5W40 5L Engine Oil complying with VW 502 00 / 505 00 and API SN grade, for servicing my 2012 1.8TSI MT Skoda Superb. The MRP was 3446+1047 = 4493/- but I got the oil at net 3000/- bucks with vat bill. 4.6L is to be used in the oil change (with filter replacement) and the rest was kept as spare for top-up.

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-1524213428728.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 12:09   #172
BHPian

Got the rapid services, outside of the Skoda Service, since they were pressing for the ill famous software update.

Used Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 synthetic oil conforming to VW 505.01 standard.

Its been about 2000 kms since the service was done. What is surprising is that the car has become softer sounding, smooth in pick up and somewhat silent while driving.

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-p80226133240.jpg

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-p80226133230.jpg

Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils-p80226133247.jpg
deepfusion is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 09:16   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Got the rapid services, outside of the Skoda Service, since they were pressing for the ill famous software update.

Used Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 synthetic oil conforming to VW 505.01 standard.

Its been about 2000 kms since the service was done. What is surprising is that the car has become softer sounding, smooth in pick up and somewhat silent while driving.
Hey, thanks for the update. My confusion is the same.

Can you help me with the pricing and right way to source this oil please. I am from Mumbai. Is this a 4 litre or a 5 litre pack?

If you can help me with the oil, fuel and air filter brand (and the pricing as well please).

BTW whats with the update? Mine is already done, but why are people not willing to get the software updated? Can you share the reason please?

Also let me jolt down my concern and confusion ..........

With all the reading on team-bhp and also on the internet regarding the engine oil that is to be used in my VW Passat TDI 2.0 AT I am still confused a bit.

With the specifications from VW the oil to be used is VW505.01 and as per open market specs it is 5w40. Also last service carried out at the authorised service station the invoice mentions 'Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5w40'. So after reading all the forums and checking the last service invoice it is very clear that i will be using 5w40 grade synthetic oil only.

With an intention to NOT get my car serviced at authorised service centre I tried to source Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5w40 from Castrol dealer in Mumbai but as per them this oil wont be available anywhere apart from VW service stations.

Spoke to some technical person in Castrol (company) he said the nearest product to VW505.01 is Castrol Edge which is fully synthetic 5w40 available in open market. He did not admit that Edge is the same one supplied to VW but he kept using the word 'Near/nearest'.

Let me add here, the Castrol Edge though being 5w40 mentions 'MEETS OR EXCEEDS INDUSTRY STANDARDS:VW 502 00/ 505 00' and does not mention VW 505 01 sadly.

And by this understanding if I go for Castrol Edge 5w40 overlooking the 'VW 505 01' spec, I can also think about other brands as well. Right?

Hence I am still confused. Should I go ahead with any 5w40 or should I just go to the authorised dealer for the sake of 'VW 505.01' oil that only they have.

Suggestions needed, badly.
Thank you
Old 25th April 2018, 19:30   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post

Can you help me with the pricing and right way to source this oil please. I am from Mumbai. Is this a 4 litre or a 5 litre pack?

If you can help me with the oil, fuel and air filter brand (and the pricing as well please).

BTW whats with the update? Mine is already done, but why are people not willing to get the software updated? Can you share the reason please?

Also let me jolt down my concern and confusion ..........

With all the reading on team-bhp and also on the internet regarding the engine oil that is to be used in my VW Passat TDI 2.0 AT I am still confused a bit.

With the specifications from VW the oil to be used is VW505.01 and as per open market specs it is 5w40. Also last service carried out at the authorised service station the invoice mentions 'Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5w40'. So after reading all the forums and checking the last service invoice it is very clear that i will be using 5w40 grade synthetic oil only.

With an intention to NOT get my car serviced at authorised service centre I tried to source Castrol Magnatec Professional OE 5w40 from Castrol dealer in Mumbai but as per them this oil wont be available anywhere apart from VW service stations.

Spoke to some technical person in Castrol (company) he said the nearest product to VW505.01 is Castrol Edge which is fully synthetic 5w40 available in open market. He did not admit that Edge is the same one supplied to VW but he kept using the word 'Near/nearest'.

Let me add here, the Castrol Edge though being 5w40 mentions 'MEETS OR EXCEEDS INDUSTRY STANDARDS:VW 502 00/ 505 00' and does not mention VW 505 01 sadly.

And by this understanding if I go for Castrol Edge 5w40 overlooking the 'VW 505 01' spec, I can also think about other brands as well. Right?

Hence I am still confused. Should I go ahead with any 5w40 or should I just go to the authorised dealer for the sake of 'VW 505.01' oil that only they have.

Suggestions needed, badly.
Thank you
Going by the experience I have had with castrol the authorised ser. center uses (castrol magnatec), and the experience with Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100, I can safely recommend the latter. It was very hard to source from the local market though. I got in touch with Sparencare and met Mr. Gupta, the owner, since he belongs to Gurgaon, and bought the necessary stuff from him.

It was a 5 ltrs can. I used up 4.5 ltrs. for refilling the car and the rest I brought back home, to be used elsewhere if needed.

I too was scared to take the car to a FNG but the fear was unfounded.

Regarding the software update, I believe the basic premise on which the car was sold to me will be belied if the software update is performed, purely based on the experiences shared on the forum by others. Therefore, I declined getting it done.
deepfusion is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 21:44   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00VP51BIE/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

5500/- for 5L can
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 22:00   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
This is available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00VP51BIE/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

5500/- for 5L can
Thank you. I arranged it for a better price from an online vendor.
Old 23rd May 2018, 15:58   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I arranged it for a better price from an online vendor.
Can you tell us from where and whats the price you paid ? I am also looking to source a VW 505 01 compliant Oil for my next service.
Old 24th May 2018, 14:32   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Can you tell us from where and whats the price you paid ? I am also looking to source a VW 505 01 compliant Oil for my next service.
Hello
Yes I could arrange the parts required for servicing Passat this year. Details mentioned as below.

Air condition serviced at
www.unicool.co.in Contact person Anisbhai 022-2500 0019 / +91 98218 85500 E-mail: anis@unicool.co.in
Address: D-3, Ghatkopar Industrial Estate, Ghatkopar (W), Behind R-Mall

Details:
Gas charging done and pollen filter replaced
Front bumper was completely removed and radiator washed
Rs.2600 for AC service
Rs.700 for pollen filter (unbranded used. I was not too happy)
Total Rs.3300 less discount Rs.300
Final amount paid Rs.3000

As such Passat's AC is not that great for Indian weather I guess (that is what I had read before buying this car) but the cooling has surely gone better. And as the car is 6.5 years old I wanted to get the AC serviced once.

After 20 days of AC service and spending lot of time checking the internet as well as local Opera house market, even speaking to companies like Castrol India and UFI for getting the right parts got my car service done on May 7th. Also with lot of thinking zeroed in on a small garage in borivali but with good knowledge about handling cars.

Kindly note that I am mentioning details of Feb 2017 service done at Autobahn, Kurla, Mumbai for everyone to compare the parts used by an authorized dealer and also the charges.
Rs.5336 charges of only labour that I paid to Autobahn in Feb 2017.

May 2018 Service details:
Passat service done at Sureshbhai (98204895080) near link road, Borivali west.

Engine oil used: Liqui Moly 5w40 TopTec 4100 (fully synthetic)
Ordered from: sparesncare.com (online website Gurgaon, Ph 8368071335)
Price: Rs.4000 for a 5 ltr can
2017 service detail: 3372489 MAG.PRO OE5 (Castrol Magnatec professional), VW part number OL3372489, Liters 4.3, Total amount (with tax) Rs.4041.98

Oil filter used: Hengst filter, E115H01 D208 (Made in China)
Price: Rs. 500 (Oil filter and Air filter price was given as Rs.1300 as combined rate, hence Rs.500 is just an approximate figure)
2017 service detail: Mahle KH1 VW AG 031 115 466 also mentioned as OX388 OBEN (Made in Austria), VW part number 03L115562, Total amount (with tax) Rs.420
(Kindly note: I came to know about the part brand used in 2017 only when mechanic removed the part in this service. VW invoice never mentioned the make/brand)

Air filter used: Hengst E488L (Made in Poland)
Price: Rs. 800 (Oil filter and Air filter price was given as Rs.1300 as combined rate, hence Rs.800 is just an approximate figure)
2017 service detail: Filtron 3C0129620B, VW Part number 1K0129620D, Total amount (with tax) Rs.1210
(Kindly note: I came to know about the part brand used in 2017 only when mechanic removed the part in this service. VW invoice never mentioned the make/brand)

Diesel filter used: UFI 7N0127177C (Made in Tunisia)
Bought from: City Motors, Opera house, Mumbai
Price: 2400
2017 service detail: UFI/Sofima, VW Part number 7N0127177C, Total amount (with tax) Rs.2416
(Also note: This is the only part used this year which is by same brand that was used last year)

Coolant changed: Hella (Red)
Part number 329.394-021. Also mentioned (on the container) as JIS K 2234 LLC Class 2
Bought from: City Motors, Opera house, Mumbai
Price: Rs.160 x 2 ltrs = 320
2017 service detail: Coolant was not touched.

Distilled water (along with coolant): Rs.50 x 3 ltrs = Rs.150 (only 2 liters used. 1 ltr is still with me, will top up as and when needed)

Brake oil: Brake oil change was not needed, nor did it need top up (this service).
2017 service detail: Brake oil top up done. VW Part number B 000750M1. Total amount (with tax) Rs.277

Other jobs carried out this year: All tyres removed, brake pads removed. Brake pads were scrubbed with polishing paper (I don’t know why). Electric starter motor removed, cleaning/greasing done.

Total charges for service paid Rs.1500 ONLY.

In the last year service at Autobahn I was shocked to note that they did not remove the tyres and cleaned the discs and brake pads. When I asked them for doing the job they said it would be charged extra. It was shocking to know that even after charging Rs.5336 disc cleaning was not part of the charge. My Ford Ecosport service along with oil and all parts just costs Rs.4000 (and below) and even they carry the job of removing the tyres and cleaning the discs. Even car washing at Autobahn was just for the sake of it.

Next day car washing was done.

Passat washing cleaning done at Sai Car Care, Link road, Borivali (w) Ph-9869022902 details:

They have 2 kind of wash for exterior of the car. One is shampoo wash for Rs.200. Other one is called Diesel wash which is for Rs.400 for a Passat category car. Diesel wash is basically some spraying of diesel and then washing with shampoo.

I went for a Interior cleaning package which also included diesel wash in it. This interior cleaning plus diesel wash package was for Rs.1600.

Car first washed with diesel, then shampoo wash done.

Interior cleaned. Seats, doors, dashboard washed with shampoo and after that polish applied. Ac vents were cleaned with steam. Entire carpet and carpet in boot also cleaned completely. Tyre in the boot also washed. (I never like to keep an unclean tyre in the boot).

Total cost at Sai Car care came to Rs.1600
(Charges for Diesel wash without interior would cost me Rs.400 so i went for interior cleaning package)

I am greatly satisfied with all jobs done. AC service, oil change service and car washing and interior cleaning.
But the most I am happy about is using Liqui Moly 5w40 TopTec 4100 (fully synthetic) oil for engine. Engine has gone amazingly smooth. Vibration and noise has drastically gone down. At idle I do not even understand that the engine is running or off.

I would highly recommend every Passat owner (also Octavia/Jetta/Superb users) to use this oil for their diesel engines.

Please feel free to ask me if there is anything I have missed on.

Regards
Prashant
Prash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:59   #179
BHPian

Hi All,

Any leads on getting the Liqui Moly or other 505 01 compliant engine oil for Skoda in Bangalore (brick & mortar) is highly appreciated. I would like to skip the online options for the moment.

Apparently its not a common commodity in the market.

thanks.
Old 20th November 2018, 00:30   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Any leads on getting the Liqui Moly or other 505 01 compliant engine oil for Skoda in Bangalore
Have you tried the JC Road market? What I heard last from a friend is Liqui Moly is easily available everywhere. If that doesn't help you can contact the below.

Ansysco Anand LLP
Mobile: +91 8091090261
Email: ansysco@anandgroupindia.com

They are the importer for the same. Above details were taken from the label stuck on the 5L can which I bought from Amazon.

If you cannot source Liqui Moly I would suggest you to go with Motul X-Clean. Brilliant oil. NVH levels dropped almost 90% compared to OEM Castrol.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks