Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 18:42   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra Research Valley - an R&D center - inaugurated in Chennai

Mahindra Research Valley - an R&D center - inaugurated in Chennai-2.jpg Mahindra Research Valley - an R&D center - inaugurated in Chennai-3.jpg

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. today inaugurated its engineering and R&D center in Chennai. Named as "Mahindra Research Valley" (MRV), the facility was inaugurated by His Excellency, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, Honourable Former President of India.

Mahindra Research Valley - an R&D center - inaugurated in Chennai-1.jpg

The MRV will house the company's engineering, research and product development wings for automobiles and tractors, all under one roof. MRV is spread over 125 acres in Mahindra World City, Chennai and was created at an investment of over Rs. 650 crore. Home to over 1500 employees, it has Senior Engineers who are leading various technology and product development projects. In the future, staff strength can be scaled up to 3000.

Designed by Padma Vibhushan, Shri Charles Correa, MRV has engineering offices situated directly above a podium housing the technical workshops. The complex also sports several green spaces, with approx. 6500 trees on the premises, adding an element of nature to encourage fresh, creative thought.

The R&D facility includes a design center, an Engine Development Center (EDC), an NVH lab, a fatigue test and reliability lab, a driveline development center and an electrical / electronic lab, amongst others.

Mahindra will allow engineers and designers the freedom to proactively pursue activities in areas like environment-friendly advanced propulsion systems - hydrogen, fuel cells, bio-diesels and hybrids. Embedded systems, infotronics, artificial intelligence, mechatronics and advanced telematics are the other areas that engineers at MRV can pursue. The facility will also afford the Mahindra Group research capabilities in alternative polymer technology for automotive applications, vehicle passenger safety and validation of aggregates and vehicles.

Engine Development Centre

This centre will be equipped with state-of-the-art software and hardware to facilitate accelerated development of power plants. The center also includes prototype building and testing of engines.

NVH Lab

The NVH Lab at MRV will have a Semi-Anechoic Chamber for Chassis Dyno, PTO Dyno, Modal Room, Sound Quality Room, etc.

Related Thread

Chennai, the Detroit of India

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2012 at 12:15. Reason: Typo
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 18:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Research Valley - an R&D center - inaugurated in Chennai

So finally it has become a reality. A big loss to Maharashtra where they initially wanted to build this center. Hope this brings the best out of Mahindra R&D.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 21:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ah, the elusive MRV has finally been inaugurated . Any details about the vehicle testing tracks?

But one thing is good - that all Product Development processes have been streamlined under one roof. Now how they cope up with problems emanating from location of manufacturing plants will be interesting to see (at-least in this case) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
A big loss to Maharashtra where they initially wanted to build this center.
Remember my Maharashtrian and North Indian friends who cursed M&M for this move (because of the Chennai location) - all have started dusting up their resume now.

Spike
Old 11th April 2012, 21:56   #4
BHPian

It's high time Indian OEM's who wish to remain at the cutting edge invest in dedicated product development environments. Without plant and other factors disturbing the research activity. It's great a technology person heads M&M. I think this phase of automobile evolution in India badly needs Indian OEM's that pick up the pace as far as technology is concerned to stay, if not win. From here the slope gets progressively steeper.
hubolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 00:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Mahindra design center has been operational at Mahindra City for some time now, a lot of work for XUV happened here. One could always see Mahindra vehicle being tested under wraps here most days.
Old 12th April 2012, 06:40   #6
BHPian

Ahh its here finally. I was in M&M mumbai till April 2010 and there were wide spread rumors that all R&D will be shifted to MRV by June. Many people left for other companies and then management had to clarify that shifting will happen in batches and some units will still work from Kandivli. That was my first job and I really enjoyed working with them.
Old 12th April 2012, 07:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Remember my Maharashtrian and North Indian friends who cursed M&M for this move (because of the Chennai location)
Are the adding this facility or are they 'moving' the R&D from Mumbai to Chennai?

Reminds me of Nissan USA's move from LA to Tennessee.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:44   #8
BHPian

Watched Dr. Goenka's interview yesterday. Services of MRV will be initially for M&M Automotive & tractor business. In future they may allow MRV to work as independent facility looking for business from whole automotive world.
Old 12th April 2012, 09:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Now how they cope up with problems emanating from location of manufacturing plants will be interesting to see (at-least in this case) .
Yes this would be a problem. That was why the location near Mumbai was the ideal one. May be they have more prototype vendors around Chennai. But they still would have to get parts/assemblies from the plant stores and all that could be a problem, unless they plan on stocking all parts (of all models) in Chennai too, which I think would be the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Are the adding this facility or are they 'moving' the R&D from Mumbai to Chennai?
They would eventually move everyone to this center. That was their plan and this used to be informed to everyone who joined R&D and their agreement taken.
Old 12th April 2012, 13:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Moving. Previously their main R&D Centre was in Nasik, although some departments (like IDAM) continued to work from Kandivli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Yes this would be a problem. That was why the location near Mumbai was the ideal one. May be they have more prototype vendors around Chennai.
No, I think vendor is not a reason for this move, most vendors (except for brakes, seat belts and automotive electronics) are located around Maharashtra and regions up North.

Quote:
But they still would have to get parts/assemblies from the plant stores and all that could be a problem, unless they plan on stocking all parts (of all models) in Chennai too, which I think would be the best option.
I am wondering what they will do with the VE teams, they have to always run around production lines for trials and other purposes (you know that ) .

Quote:
They would eventually move everyone to this center.
That would be wise, but I am told that some teams will continue to work from Nasik and Kandivli.

Spike
Old 12th April 2012, 15:23   #11
dot
Senior - BHPian

Great News.

I hope an Indian OEM like M&M leaps and bounds towards a better future, as without serious in-house R&D, it is not possible to make world beating products. I know they are already working on pretty cutting edge stuff; and we as consumers, get to see the benefits.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful news, read this today at moneycontrol, XUV5oo was the first product at the Research Vally which has had phenomenal success. Hopefully there will be many more like XUV in future, which will not only benefit Mahindra but consumers as well.

Pawan Goenka, president - automotive & farm equipment sectors, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd said, MRV will provide the Mahindra Group with the tangible benefit of indigenous design at lower costs and shortened product development cycles. All of which when aligned with the latest technological advancement in the field of automotive research would translate into a dramatic increase in intellectual property for the company, resulting in global recognition. We have already seen this manifest in the very successful Mahindra XUV500 which was the first product to be designed and developed at MRV.

Source : Mahindra inaugurates a test facility in Chennai - Overdrive Magazine -
Old 15th April 2012, 20:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Kalam's address during the inauguration ceremony in Chennai

Came across this info through a mail. It contains Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam's address during the inauguration ceremony at MRV Chennai.

Quote:
Mahindra Research Valley and Technological Challenges

I have a dream: Mahindra Automobile powered by combination of bio-fuel and electric power.

I am delighted to participate in the inauguration of Mahindra Research Valley at Mahindra World City Chennai. My greetings to all of you. I am sure, Mahindra Research Valley will facilitate Mahindra group to generate innovative world class automotive products and transform India into a global player in automotive industry. I am very happy that the first product to be designed in Mahindra Research Valley XUV500 has already been declared as an important contribution and I wish that the Mahindra Research Valley and its team to make many innovations in the automobile sector as a system and parts. When I am with you, I would like to share few thoughts on the topic "Mahindra Research Valley and Technological Challenges".

Innovation is the capital

When I was studying the Global innovation report for the year 2011, I found that as per Global Innovation Index Switzerland is ranked 1; Sweden 2; Singapore-3; Hong Kong-4; and India 62. There is a relationship between innovation index and competitiveness. While India is 62 in innovation index, our ranking in global competitiveness index is 56 in 2010-11. If India has to graduate from the present ranking in competitiveness index of 56 and become equal to economically developed nations (within the top 10), it is essential that building indigenous design capability and leading to innovative index to better than 5 through research and technological development. The present growth has been achieved by the use of technologies essentially developed elsewhere based on scientific discoveries and patents generated before 10 to 15 years. Definitely, latest technologies resulting from latest scientific results are not available from developed countries to India at least for a decade. Hence, research is very vital, particularly, basic science which will result in the latest technology required for meeting Global Competitiveness by Indian organizations, institutions and industry. I am happy the institutions like Mahindra Research Valley are coming up to fulfill these aspirations of the nation and enhance the ranking in innovation index and competitiveness index of the country.

Now, let me first discuss the research areas for finding solution to environmental pollution problems.

Environmental Pollution

The world energy forum has focused on what is going to be the status of fossil fuel based materials like oil, gas and coal in the next fifty to hundred years. It is estimated by international forecasting that the available resource of fossil material will get exhausted within the next fifty to hundred years since these resources are non-renewable. And also friends, I would also like to share with you about the recent article in the "New Scientist" which mentions about dumping of 38 billion tonnes of carbon-di-oxide into the atmosphere by all the nations every year. This dumping primarily arises due to the use of fossil fuels which directly affects the ozone layer which is existing between 25 kms to 30 kms above the earth?s surface. As you all know, Ozone layer regulates the sun radiation and cosmic radiation on earth. Earth is experiencing both stratospheric cooling (due to ozone hole) and tropospheric warming (due to increased green house gases). The question is, how do we protect our earth by protecting the atmosphere.

This poses the challenge to automotive researchers and engineers to concentrate on improved combustion engine, alternate fuels, renewable energy sources and alternate power plants.

Improvement in Combustion Efficiency: Automobile researchers are continuously working on increasing the specific power output and reducing the fuel consumption and emissions. Today, electronic multipoint fuel injection systems has become common on all the vehicles, whereas for getting better control and precision over combustion and emission, we have to work on direct injection of gasoline for better exhaust characteristics. Gasoline direct injection permits combustion of ultra-lean fuel air mixtures under diverse operating conditions and hence can deliver higher performance with lower fuel consumption and lower emission. This technology will be applicable to four-wheelers, three-wheelers and two stroke engines.

Improvement in Diesel Engines: One of the important aspects of diesel engine is that the oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter in the emission are high. This has to be overcome by the use of advanced combustion technologies which will reduce both. Indian Automotive Engineers have to work on this area and offer the system for use in all types of diesel vehicles.

The most challenging area for the automobile researchers will be to design the engines and fuel injection system for making them compatible for the use with emulsified fuels (40% water + 60% diesel or Petrol).

Emulsification for increasing the fuel efficiency

Dear friends, I had discussions with experts, who have succeeded in carrying out experiments of emulsification using a catalytic convertor called Hydro Drive of 40 percent water with 60 percent diesel and running few types of diesel engines. The engine starting characteristics has been satisfactory without any ignition problems. The engine has been put to continuous operation and has been found to save 40 percent in fuel with a concomitant advantage in reduced emission of CHG Gases, NOx and Soot. The fitment of the emulsification system in an automobile, involves design of corrosion free tanks, fitment of catalytic convertor, and dealing with the excess fluid during breaking and changing speed conditions, protecting the engine, fuel injection system, tanks, pumps and pipe lines from corrosion possibilities. This can all be done, only by original equipment manufacturers. Since, the Mahindra research valley has a unique engine development centre also, it can definitely take up the challenge of making Mahindra engines compatible for using emulsified fuel without any additive leading to 40% in fuel saving and 60 to 80% reduction in emission of CHG gases. This can become a unique innovation proposition of Mahindra tractors, Mahindra passenger vehicles, Mahindra utility vehicles and Mahindra three wheelers and two wheelers. Can the engine research team take up this as the first challenge for the Mahindra Research Valley. This can all be achieved within a period of two years.

Cost efficient and Green telecom tower operations

With the explosive growth in telecom in India, the number of telecom towers has gone up to three hundred thousand towers. Some of the power gensets are from Mahindra. All the towers put together consume nearly burn 2 Billion Liters of Diesel costing over Rs 7000 crore. These towers are ideally located at reasonable heights and are best suited for installing solar panels that would power these towers. This is an idea that is undergoing successful trials and if mandated will reduce the carbon foot print significantly while ensuring disruption free operations. Mahindra Research Valley can also take up the use of emulsified fuel system for these generators.

Alternate Fuels: While it is important, to continuously improve the efficiency of internal combustion engines, scientists have to concentrate on development of alternate fuels and renewable energy sources. The future generation cars and trucks have to use bio-diesel, ethanol and hydrogen. Bio-fuels are renewable and can be produced in short notice as against fossil fuels which have been generated over millions of years. Bio-fuels are carbon neutral, but they have shown slight increase in oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. Engineers and scientists have to address this issue and find a solution to this problem. Hydrogen is considered to be the fuel for the future. It is totally an environment friendly fuel and renewable, thus removing dependence on petroleum resources. I understand that Micobosch has made and supplied special fuel injectors for running vehicles on 100% ethanol in Brazil. It essential to evolve public policy which will encourage Indian and foreign companies to make use of emulsification and use of alternate green fuels as a green technology for saving fuel and improving environment.

Now let me talk about some of the research areas in other automobile systems.

Safety systems

While Indian Automobile Industry is growing at an impressive rate of 17%, there is a growing concern regarding the increase in number of accidents taking place on Indian roads. As per the WHO report each year road traffic accidents take away lives of 1.2 million people. India accounts for about 10% of road accident fatalities worldwide equivalent to hundred and twenty thousand lives. Also, as per a survey, India looses around Rs.1,20,000 Crores annually due to the road traffic accidents. This necessitates important action to be taken by the automobile researchers and engineers for promoting vehicle safety.

Four-wheeler safety: Indian cars are already using seat-belts and collapsible steering column as standard features and commercial vehicles are using anti-skid breaking system. What we need is vehicles should be protected against various impacts like front, side, rear, offset, car-to-car etc. Indian technologists have to work on designing a cost effective strong cage to protect the occupants with minimal use of materials. Development of energy absorbing materials will be critical in this area. For preventing accidents in the night, we need research on adaptive front lighting, bent head light system and provision of indirect vision devices like cameras in area where driver cannot see. Research is also required to design electronic stability control for safe driving under adverse climatic conditions like during snow, rain and fog. While working on the safety systems the researches will have to keep the Indian Anthropometric data in mind so that there is no adaptation problem. Social scientists have to create such data of the Indian population for integration with automotive design.

Two wheelers safety: Two wheelers are the largest mode of transport in India. Safety of two wheeler is largely depended upon driving discipline and adherence to traffic rules. Meanwhile researchers have to examine areas through which they can provide inbuilt safety to the vehicles. They can explore the possibility of incorporating devices like air-bags for enhancing safety.

Material and Manufacturing practices

Research in advanced materials and manufacturing will be an important area for Indian automobile industry. The materials and the process used have to aim at lower weight, lower investment, higher life, low maintenance and lower life cycle cost. Presently, Indian designs are mostly using metals for the chassis and the body. Researchers have to work on fibre reinforced composites which will have better impact characteristics and also eventually it should become cost effective for the consumers.

Large amount of composite structures are used for the construction of fuselage and the wings in the aircraft industry, for passenger aircraft and military aircraft including Light Combat Aircraft (Tejas). Composite structure has become the choice due to its high strength to weight ratio. In automobile industry, composites have not been selected so far due to its cost being high. It is essential for the researchers to find design methods by which composite structures can become a preferred choice for automobile producers.

Test and Evaluation Data

Test and evaluation data of automobile system is a very important mission, for initial certification and clearance of periodic roadworthiness status of all the vehicles. The cumulative data base of test and evaluation of various classes of vehicle carried out during the last three decades can become an important research tool as in the case of clinical data base which is used for developing new classes of medicine and diagnostic methods in the healthcare industry. I am sure the data base generated by ARAI will become an important research input for the scientists and engineers participating in this symposium.

Design Criteria in Automotive Systems

I would to suggest to the experts assembled here, to concentrate on the following design criteria for competing in the national and international market:

1. Work towards highest fuel efficiency for a given class of engine and car sizing.

2. Continuously decrease the overall weight of the automobile systems enabling higher payload capability.

3. Designing the power plant to accept 100% bio-fuel or emulsified fuel system.

4. Design to cost and high quality.

5. Design for providing high-level passenger Safety.

6. Constantly increasing the electronics, communication and control in the automobile systems for realizing high reliability, low fuel consumption, self-healing and fail-safe system.

Conclusion

When I am in the Mahindra Research Valley and when I see the type of research challenges ahead of you friends, let me focus a great saying of an Indian Sage Maharshi Pathanjali nearly 3000 years ago in Yoga Sutra:

"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bounds, your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, you will find yourself in a new great and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be."

With these words, I inaugurate the Mahindra Research Valley facility. My best wishes to all the members of Mahindra Research Valley success in their research, development, production and marketing missions of state of the art automobile systems.

May God bless you.

By, Dr. APJ Abdulkalam
Link to the original article - www.abdulkalam.com
Old 28th April 2012, 16:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) has just inaugurated its ambitious R&D Centre known as the Mahindra Research Valley (MRV). Located in Chennai, MRV, in which M&M has invested Rs 650 crore, is spread across 126 acres.

There are, in all, 34 laboratories plus projects ranging from new engine platform to the next-generation hybrid vehicles. What will see the light of the day within a few years will be a new engine family. Consisting of six engine variants, the first engine is already in its initial stages of development and the first firing has taken place, reveals Dr Pawan Goenka, president, M&M and chairman, SsangYong. These engines will power the future Mahindra and SsangYong vehicles.

Along with a new engine family, Mahindra has also commenced development work on a new dual clutch transmission (DCT), which will be carried out in association with a European consultant.

Commenting on the hybrid production cars coming to the market, Goenka states that “the company has underestimated the development task” and “full-fledged hybrids will be ready only three years from now”. Mahindra’s own micro hybrid/start-stop technology has found many takers and the technology will now be introduced in SsangYong vehicles as well, he confirms.

Test on bio-diesel technology is also being run simultaneously and M&M has outsourced the testing of 100 percent bio-diesel in the Scorpios. In-house engineers are also at work on new generation technologies such as electric and hydrogen vehicles and work is already on to develop the next-gen electric vehicle powertrain. Mahindra Reva is taking the lead in this project.

Goenka, an R&D person at heart, admits that even M&M, which has done reasonably well in product development, needs to raise the bar in advancing technologies. “The environment at MRV will be conducive for creativity,” says Goenka. He admits that the infrastructure for various R&D works has been more of ‘jugaad’ (makeshift) facilities so far. This is the sole reason for Mahindra investing in different testing facilities for NVH, transmission and others.

What MRV lacks at present is a chassis dynamometer, crash test facility and a wind tunnel. The company is set to invest in the chassis dynamometer facility very soon, but has refrained from developing its own crash test facility. Instead it plans to utilize SsangYong’s crash test facility, helping bring down costs. The aero project takes a backseat for now.

Back in 1993, when Goenka shifted from General Motors in the USA to M&M in India, there were 50 engineers in the company’s R&D team and this number has grown to 3000 now. And from spending Rs 30-40 crore for R&D in 1993, the company now spends close to Rs 750 crore. In comparison, Maruti has spent Rs 839.3 crores for the period 2006-2011.

Source:

Mahindra inaugurates R&D centre - News - Autocar India

Another link:

Autocar Professional
Old 28th April 2012, 16:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

ALL NEW SCORPIO:

On a similar note, M&M has begun the development of the all new Scorpio (code: W105). Based on a heavily modified version of the existing Scorpio's body on frame chassis, the W105 will get an all new body which will be significantly larger, as expected.

Source: Autocar India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks