Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 00:45   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
My Thar,3.2 Months and 4300kms old,squeaks and creaks a lot.
I suspect the sound to be from leaf springs,how do i eliminate it?
Do not have plans for CFL for now.
Akshay

First a root-cause analysis:

1. If the squeaks are from within the body shell, its due to the lack of rigidity in the body-shell.

Solution:Please refer my thread - Go in for a SA roll-over cage, attach the roll-cage to (as many points as possible on) the targa band, connect the targa band to the front wind-screen using the X-bar which comes in the new Thar (if not already present). Get the doors set one last time. The body shell will become extremely rigid and there will be no squeaks or rattles!

This needs to be done ONCE in the life-time of the Jeep. Approximate cost - Rs. 12,000.

2. Squeaks from the under-body:

Solution: Carry out a full water service, wherein the underbody is first cleaned with a water-jet, then with a combination of soap oil& diesel and finally with a water jet again. Now spray 1 liter of new engine oil to the under-side until the entire area (including springs) are covered. This will address under-body squeaks.

This needs to be done at least once a month. Approximate cost - Rs. 800 (including cost of oil).

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Often when I start my Thar in the morning there is a turbo whinning noise, much like a jet engine whinning. what could this be ?
In case you use premium diesel, please avoid!

These have additives which could clog injectors, result in particulate matter fouling with the turbo-charger, etc.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th March 2014 at 21:42. Reason: Posts merged.
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 12:46   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Akshay

1. If the squeaks are from within the body shell, its due to the lack of rigidity in the body-shell.

Solution:Please refer my thread - Go in for a SA roll-over cage, attach the roll-cage to (as many points as possible on) the targa band, connect the targa band to the front wind-screen using the X-bar which comes in the new Thar (if not already present). Get the doors set one last time. The body shell will become extremely rigid and there will be no squeaks or rattles!

This needs to be done ONCE in the life-time of the Jeep. Approximate cost - Rs. 12,000.

Solution: Carry out a full water service, wherein the underbody is first cleaned with a water-jet, then with a combination of soap oil& diesel and finally with a water jet again. Now spray 1 liter of new engine oil to the under-side until the entire area (including springs) are covered. This will address under-body squeaks.

This needs to be done at least once a month. Approximate cost - Rs. 800 (including cost of oil).
Thanks a lot Sir;the squeaks are from under the body,especially around the leaf springs.Going in for first service tommorow will have these addressed.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 21:19   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
The issue might be with condenser, same happened with my friend's Thar. The part cost bomb, if you are still under warranty rush immediately to service centre.

Thank You Thar4x4 you scared me at once,but still in the warranty period,i immediately rushed to the service station & after keeping the thar for one day they came out with the problem in AC Relay switch & Fuse.

Again a piece of advice i am seeking & that is for installing a working snorkel in my thar, i don't use my thar for hard core off roading & is used more for city driving as it is my primary vehicle,but i wish to install the snorkel.
So, could anyone help me with the basics of installing the snorkel, & if not of any use will it do any harm to the jeep in normal day to day driving.
Thanks!
Old 29th March 2014, 22:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamvir30 View Post
Thank You Thar4x4 you scared me at once,but still in the warranty period,i immediately rushed to the service station & after keeping the thar for one day they came out with the problem in AC Relay switch & Fuse.

Again a piece of advice i am seeking & that is for installing a working snorkel in my thar, i don't use my thar for hard core off roading & is used more for city driving as it is my primary vehicle,but i wish to install the snorkel.
So, could anyone help me with the basics of installing the snorkel, & if not of any use will it do any harm to the jeep in normal day to day driving.
Thanks
!
In that case;get a dummy snorkel
Old 29th March 2014, 22:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Akshay

Excellent suggestion it was.Noise has vanished by almost 80% by just a minor spray on 4 points.Will get a extensive spray done soon.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 11:10   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
In that case;get a dummy snorkel
Dummy snorkel does no justice to the jeep,because as every one say we don't buy a jeep we built it,so installing a dummy snorkel would be waste of money,i hope you agree
Old 31st March 2014, 12:59   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamvir30 View Post
Dummy snorkel does no justice to the jeep,because as every one say we don't buy a jeep we built it,so installing a dummy snorkel would be waste of money,i hope you agree
i agree,but even a functional snorkel is of no use in the city
Thar as such has good wading capability;i wanted to get a snorkel but then decided against it.
Old 7th April 2014, 17:49   #113
Senior - BHPian

No i dont use premium diesel, it is available at an outrageous price now.

Normal diesel as in all gurgaon fuel stations.

This noise seems to be a loose nut somewhere but cant catch it where.

The Thar is sure a coolant guzzler. No leaks, it is parked on firm cemented ground, no spots noticed but it consumes coolant.

Last friday although it was parked at a 20 degrees incline and some coolant leaked out.
Old 7th April 2014, 21:37   #114
BHPian

I have one observation with my thar 13.5 k kms run.
Gear lever and 4x4 lever getting hot during running. This observation is even during 4x2 mode too. Is it normal. I do not know if this happens from day 1 or may be I noticed it off late.

Will appreciate some answers.

Thanks.
Old 7th April 2014, 21:46   #115
BHPian

To all Thar owners,

Will appreciate if you guys can list down the checks one should be doing during PDI for a brand new Thar.

Regards,

Shenoy
Old 7th April 2014, 23:48   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
To all Thar owners,

Will appreciate if you guys can list down the checks one should be doing during PDI for a brand new Thar.

Regards,

Shenoy

The Torsion Bar setting for sure. It's a make or break between a disastrously hard drive & a comfortable one! The PDI team may not be qualified to do it. As I suggest to everyone in Mumbai, get in touch with Mr. Sudhir Karkal at NBS Reay road workshop. He will get the needful done.
Avigo71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 07:23   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
No i dont use premium diesel, it is available at an outrageous price now.

Normal diesel as in all gurgaon fuel stations.

This noise seems to be a loose nut somewhere but cant catch it where.

The Thar is sure a coolant guzzler. No leaks, it is parked on firm cemented ground, no spots noticed but it consumes coolant.

Last friday although it was parked at a 20 degrees incline and some coolant leaked out.
Same here
5.5K kms and havent been able to figure out as to where the coolant is going.
Old 16th April 2014, 01:33   #118

Hi Guys,

I am posting this reply as a owner of Thar crde since dec 2011 having 22k on odo. I do not rebut the nitty gritty issues that Thar crde offers, but at the end of the day we have to accept it as a Jeep with certain refinements. If you start comparing it to your daily commute car, then I beg to say that you are not doing justice. If you can bear a jeep, only then buy a thar. Being a jeeper is not easy.

I have completed 2 seasons of extreme off-roading with my Thar crde and touch wood, it has kept up to its expectations. Though I would still rate my CJ3B to be a more capable off-roader, but you cannot discount the comfort of a thar, be it the Air-conditioning, protection from the extremities of the weather, power steering, Independent Front Suspensions and more importantly the tireless drive to the off-roading venue which actually accounts to 90% of the entire journey in any off-roading event. We do have a couple of adventure trips planned this season and I am confident that my thar crde will not let me down. As regards, reliability is concerned, I know a BMW which had a engine seizure with 800 kms on the odo and how can Mahindra be any different.

The following post is wriitten by me in the capacity of a body shop owner and a professional car detailer. Every thar will squeak when it is delivered to its owner. We need to tighten up a few bolts and nuts especially of the frame which holds the canopy (soft top), lubricate a few hinges and joints, reset the doors and more importantly run it for a few kms on a bad stretch of road and then the squeaks would stop. Believe me, my thar stopped squeaking after my first OTR and has been behaving well since then. As regards the underbody sqeaks, i do not think spraying of oil is a good idea as it is going to attract a lot of dust. The only area of the underbody where a thar crde needs lubrication is the Universal Joints (front and rear) with a good quality grease. It is advisable to get a premium underbody coating done which would also give you protection against corrosion and sound deadening. I would advice to go for Stone Chip protection from Glasurit or Wurth.

As regards installation of a snorkel in a thar crde, the plumbing inside the engine bay is not easy especially in a thar crde with AC as the position of the expansion bottle and condensor pipes along with the cramped engine bay make it a real challenge. I have a working snorkel fit on my thar crde but the stock Air box has been replaced with a K&N Apollo kit.

Regards
shetsanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 20:47   #119
BHPian

Hi,

I have finally decided to get myself a Thar!! Its not done yet, I have to first sell my Polo and then want to pick up a well loved used Thar.

So please any of you Thar enthusiasts out there in Bangalore who are wanting to pass on their beast, please let me know as I am looking for one.

Thanks
Shireesh
Old 6th July 2014, 23:32   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anda60213 View Post
Hi,

I recently purchased a Mahindra Thar Crde in Pune and right out of the showroom, the vehicle was pulling to the left. If I left the steering, it would take a sharp left turn on its own.

The alignment settings were within specifications.

However thanks to the advice from the original father of Thar, found out the that problem was being caused due to the left caster being less than half the caster on right in degrees even though it was within specs.

Got the caster rectified - now the left & right caster are not so off from each other and the vehicle keeps a straight line.

Hope my post is of help to anyone who might already have or in the future face similar issues.

Regards,
Facing a similar issue with my 3 month old Thar. The Jeep was leaning towards the right and the vehicle was pulling towards the left on the next day of delivery. Was told by the service manager that it's an issue with the Torsion Bar. Got that rectified but the vehicle has again started pulling towards the left and doesn't drive in a straight line. Any suggestions on this issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks