Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 22:21   #421

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Dear afc.wanderer,

I would, therefore, appreciate if you will share your views regarding your long trips with special reference to the comfort of a ride. And whether you have made any mods to the Thar to improve the ride quality.

In this context, I would also like to clarify that I appreciate that whatever the mods, the Thar is not an SUV and therefore, it would be unfair to expect the same comfortable ride as a Scorpio of an XUV500.
Hey Zeze,

Thanks for the kind words and sorry for the delayed response - this post of yours was drowned in the deluge of posts that followed

Regarding mods, no - besides the tires and headlamp bulbs, I'm running the vehicle with stock specs. Upsized the tires to Maxxis Marauder MA-S1 (275/60R16) and replaced those at 45k with Continental Cross Contact AT (255/65R16). Been happy with both sets of tires, except that the Maxxis was unidirectional so unless you're present when they're being rotated, the ASC guys often end up mounting them the in the wrong direction. The Contis are pretty good so far, and both tyres have greatly helped the stopping power of the vehicle.

The headlight bulbs I'm using are Phillips Rally H4 130/100W - these require a different relay kit as well. These are great for driving at night, especially in double lane roads with trucks that usually refuse to dim their headlights.

The seats I'm using are the stock seats - besides the fact that one tends to sweat as the rexine isn't really the most ventilated material, I've not faced any trouble with long distances and even after 800km/12-14 hours on the road, besides the expected stiffness, there's never been any back pain or any such. Did a 4200km trip this Jan from Bombay to Kerala and back (with a fair bit of local travel in Kerala and Tamil Nadu) and was quite comfortable throughout.

Also, in another post you mentioned that you were planning to carry your dogs in the vehicle - its a *fantastic* vehicle for animals. All the long trips have been with a cat, and I cant imagine any other vehicle which would let the cat walk around comfortably while in motion. A couple of our friends have dogs and their dogs love the Thar too - one of them is motion sick and pukes in any other vehicle but this one! If you dont tamper with the rear seat config, with one or both of the rear benches up, you have ample place for animal plus some luggage tied onto the other bench. Of course, cramming in a third or fourth passenger becomes dicey on long journeys, especially since the bench seats arent exactly built for comfort over long distances. Its never been a problem for us so far as its mostly been just my wife and I traveling with the cat

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
afc.wanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 14:53   #422
BHPian

Hi All,

The soft-top (canopy)in my Thar (2014 make) has starting leaking at various places during the monsoon. Mahindra service centre (Mira Road, Mumbai) suggests replacing the same as the lamination has come off. Any suggestions on the same?

Also, the body has started rusting at a couple of places which is getting addressed by the service centre.

Last edited by confused_soul : 11th July 2017 at 15:21.
Old 13th July 2017, 19:16   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc.wanderer View Post
Hey Zeze,

Thanks for the kind words and sorry for the delayed response - this post of yours was drowned in the deluge of posts that followed ........

......A couple of our friends have dogs and their dogs love the Thar too - one of them is motion sick and pukes in any other vehicle but this one!

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Thanks afc.wanderer for the very detailed response to the queries raised by me. Any my sincere apologies for not taking you or responding earlier.

My plans to buy the Thar have been put on hold for the time being, as I understand that a next gen vehicle is expected shortly.

Thought I would wait for the pre-views or first sightings of the upgrade and if I didn't fancy the exterior looks, immediately book the current model. Subsequently, I will carry out any modifications, if necessary.

The note about your friend's dog who suffers motion sickness in all other vehicles except the Thar was gratifying. We too have a dog who can travel a maximum of 15 kms without being sick. Our other dog is a long distance traveler.
Old 25th July 2017, 19:34   #424
BHPian

Dear Thar Crde Owners.
Our problem of faulty fuel gauze seems to be finally fixed.
They replaced mine today with a new design float sensor. It was a free of cost service though I am no longer covered in warranty . (Recall).
Details and pictures please visit my "Fourknotfour" Thread. Sorry i dont know how to link it here and I think its against the guidelines to repost it again.
Old 17th August 2017, 14:56   #425

Folks,
Hope you all are doing well. I just need some advice with a couple of issues with my Thar.
1. The steering shakes when at highway speeds, BUT sometimes its dead still which is weird. I'm sure this is a wheel balancing issue (I've got offset rims) but shouldn't it happen all the time at those speeds.
2. Mine got back from the 30k service a couple of weeks ago and I specifically got the AC thermostat knob changed as the relay kept "chattering". Also I asked them to get my Brakes fixed. The car still veers to the left on hard braking, the bite point is really low and needs a bit too much force than usual.

I'll be sending it back in for the brake issue but some pointers would be helpful as most of the guys at the ASC try to make "bahanas" for these issues due to these wheels.

Otherwise I love my Thar and tinkering with it but quality control by Mahindra in my experience has been rather poor. Some highlights include :

1. Alternator changed from the TVS unit to Bosch within 10 days of getting delivery. I had to show the guys using a multimeter that the battery wasn't charging on cold starts. Took 4 days.
2. Cluster meter and fuel level float changed after 3 months. This took another 4 days. And an extended warranty was given to me for free.
3. The canopy started leaking (got it fixed) and the rear zip kept breaking. Eventually got the hard top.
Old 17th August 2017, 15:40   #426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir.sharda View Post

1. The steering shakes when at highway speeds, BUT sometimes its dead still which is weird. I'm sure this is a wheel balancing issue (I've got offset rims) but shouldn't it happen all the time at those speeds.
Check balancing, if that is cleared then you will have to get the tie rod end, suspension arms and links checked, finally the bearings.

Quote:
The car still veers to the left on hard braking, the bite point is really low and needs a bit too much force than usual

Ask them to bleed the lines again and in the right order, should settle the pull and spongy peddle issue.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 16:04   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Check balancing, if that is cleared then you will have to get the tie rod end, suspension arms and links checked, finally the bearings.
====
Ask them to bleed the lines again and in the right order, should settle the pull and spongy peddle issue.
Thanks for the quick reply Jaggu. I'll get the balancing done first then.
And get the ASC to bleed it in the right order. Hope this gets fixed.

I'll follow up after its done!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th August 2017 at 16:10. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 28th August 2017, 14:47   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Anybody know why water entry with parking brake engaged could cause brake locking on cold start? I also ride a 34 year old Bullet so I'm used to hacks and fixes which have no explicable logic to them but any explanation is welcome
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post4031062

I know its late - but that is the explanation.
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 13:15   #429

I am a proud owner of a 2012 Thar CRDe,with 45000 in ODO, So far it is touch wood and I really enjoying the beast.
Last week in a traffic jam my Thar’s temperature gauge touched high, then stopped and found that coolant level is too low. After the last coolant topup used only for 500 KM .Filled overflow tank and continued my journey. Everything becomes normal. Next day morning checked radiator, there was a 1.5 litter coolant shortage in it. Filled it again and tested for another 10 KM, again 500 ml coolant is vanished. Thar is not over heating; there is no leak or spill in engine bay. Radiator cap is intact as well. No sign of oil and coolant mixing also.

Please advise what to do now.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:35   #430
BHPian

I know many people have mentioned about coolant issue in the past, but not to the scale of what you say i.e., 1.5 litre and 500ml vanishing and this is alarming. Usually the leak happens in the radiator cap or the coolant pipes which are connecting through the firewall. Those clamps get loose and it sprays, which is noticeable. Since you say that you could not find any trace of coolant, that too with 1.5 litre leakage, it is better to do a thorough check up on the radiator as it might be leaking straight from the bottom and going on the road while driving. Just a thought.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 22:39   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazi.Kin View Post
I am a proud owner of a 2012 Thar CRDe,with 45000 in ODO After the last coolant topup used only for 500 KM .Filled overflow tank and continued my journey. Everything becomes normal. Next day morning checked radiator, there was a 1.5 litter coolant shortage in it. Filled it again and tested for another 10 KM, again 500 ml coolant is vanished. Thar is not over heating; there is no leak or spill in engine bay. Radiator cap is intact as well. No sign of oil and coolant mixing also.

Please advise what to do now.
I had a similiar problem in my TharCrde 2015 since the beginning. i.e. 2 years and 30000 kms ago. Finally a few months ago took out the entire radiator assembly and pressurised it in vitro. The black radiator side casing was cracked and it leaked on heating up. Didn't take a chance. Changed the whole radiator and now post 3000 kms since then not a drop loss at all. Prior to that I had changed all clamps and cap and sealed any potential suspect points with Aradlite with no result. It used to consume one litre to 1000 kms otherwise.

Last edited by Dr_MNC_SK : 30th October 2017 at 22:40. Reason: Typography error
Old 10th November 2017, 09:34   #432
BHPian

Guys any idea where the headlamp relays of the Thar are located? I don't see it in the manual. My low beam is getting randomly switched off.
Old 12th November 2017, 21:16   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post4031062

I know its late - but that is the explanation.
Thanks a ton! Not too late to have the explanation - there'll always be more rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
Guys any idea where the headlamp relays of the Thar are located? I don't see it in the manual. My low beam is getting randomly switched off.
If you're running the stock lights, then your headlamp relays should be under the steering wheel. You can access it from the footwell in the same fashion as the fuse box (after removing the panel under the steering column).

In case its not a relay issue, might be worth checking the toggle switch contacts behind the steering wheel. The points inside there have a habit of doing some funny things – mine was running high and low beam simultaneously for a while when I would toggle between modes, so effectively I had three settings for light intensity

Last edited by bblost : 12th November 2017 at 21:30.
afc.wanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:04   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abir.sharda View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Jaggu. I'll get the balancing done first then.
And get the ASC to bleed it in the right order. Hope this gets fixed.

I'll follow up after its done!
If nothing works then bring it here to Gurgaon.

At RR Auto in Gurgaon, a Mahindra ASC we have a specialized Thar and Scorpio team of mechanics. Mainly they have learned from the vehicle repairs and breakdowns of hundreds of 4X4 Thars, Scorpios of the off road club members.

They know the job well now.

Let me know if you need help.

Best regards,
Shahid
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 08:39   #435
BHPian

Quote:
The points inside there have a habit of doing some funny things – mine was running high and low beam simultaneously for a while when I would toggle between modes, so effectively I had three settings for light intensity
Yes I had that simultaneous option for a short while then it would randomly switch off.Time to check the contacts of the stalk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks