Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 10:00   #406
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Scorpio doesn't have a MLD (rear). Thar has it. And from the discussions on the forum elsewhere, it seems it isn't easy to fit one on the new Scorpio (for now). Just saying.
My apologies for my appalling ignorance but would appreciate if someone explain what is a 'MLD (rear)' and why it appears to be deal breaker for some buyers of a 4WD vehicle. Tried to search on the web but without success.
Old 21st February 2017, 10:11   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
My apologies for my appalling ignorance but would appreciate if someone explain what is a 'MLD (rear)' and why it appears to be deal breaker for some buyers of a 4WD vehicle. Tried to search on the web but without success.
These videos from our fellow offroad gurus will clear all your doubts about the use of an MLD -

Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 12:02   #408
BHPian

Quote:
These videos from our fellow offroad gurus will clear all your doubts about the use of an MLD - .....
Thanks, Dry Ice, for the videos. Can't say that I was able to completely comprehend the technical stuff. But I am certainly more knowledgeable than I was this morning. Especially since MLD is not a straight forward acronym like GC, which I believe means ground clearance.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 12:11   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
But I am certainly more knowledgeable than I was this morning.
That's the beauty of this forum
Since you are thinking of getting a 4wd, I would recommend you spend sometime in the 4x4 section - lots of good stuff waiting for you.

PS: In a nutshell, Mechanical locking differential will allow you to get out of tricky situations where one of you wheels is in air (no traction). In case of an open diff, the wheel which is in air (no traction), will keep spinning freely and no power is sent to the other wheel which is on ground (has traction). MLD senses this difference and provides power to the wheel which is on ground (has traction), and you are out! You can easily make out where the MLD kicks in - look out for a click sound and see the rear of the Thar jerking a little in the 2nd video just before it moves out of the pit.

With 4wd, the front wheels might be able to pull you out in such situations where this happens only on the rear wheels. But, if one wheel on both axles is in air, you have had it.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 21st February 2017 at 12:13.
Old 21st February 2017, 14:33   #410
BHPian

Quote:
That's the beauty of this forum
Since you are thinking of getting a 4wd, I would recommend you spend sometime in the 4x4 section - lots of good stuff waiting for you.
Yes, indeed, this is the beauty of this forum.

There is always someone ready to help, besides all the great stuff to be mined in the various threads.

Will certainly take up your recommendation and spend time in the 4x4 section, since I am certainly planning to get a 4WD.
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:09   #411
BHPian

Folks,
I managed to buy a preowned 2012 thar Crde 4x4.
Have been having few issues,.

1.Clutch fully replaced.
2.Battery replaced.

3.All works done a@ Ignite chennai.

4.Oflate ,find the brakes locking up on cold starts atleast for 30 mnutes and then it returns to normal.

pls advice.
cheers!
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:24   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Folks,
I managed to buy a preowned 2012 thar Crde 4x4.
Have been having few issues,.

1.Clutch fully replaced.
2.Battery replaced.

3.All works done a@ Ignite chennai.

4.Oflate ,find the brakes locking up on cold starts atleast for 30 mnutes and then it returns to normal.

pls advice.
cheers!
Welcome to THAR World. Its a nice machine to own.

Please check whether earlier owner has replaced break booster with double diaphragm version of SCORPIO CRDe or BOLERO VLX?.If its VLX need replacement with latest Thar CRDe version.

Check the LSPV setting at ASC with template.

Check Rear wheel cylinders.
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:40   #413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Check the LSPV setting at ASC with template.
H i Rajith you have more details on this? Is there a template that can be used to set LSPV? I want to do the correction on my vehicle now that i have settled on the ride height and stuff.
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:08   #414
KMT
BHPian

I got my booster & reservoir upgraded at Chrome Motors on the Mysore Road (just below the metro rail overpass). They reset my LSPV also.
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:27   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
H i Rajith you have more details on this? Is there a template that can be used to set LSPV? I want to do the correction on my vehicle now that i have settled on the ride height and stuff.
Theres a ready template for THAR CRDe with ASC. Its termed as LSPV height adjuster tool.

For eg india garage Laggare, Bangalore branch have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I got my booster & reservoir upgraded at Chrome Motors on the Mysore Road (just below the metro rail overpass). They reset my LSPV also.
Please check the part num and get confirm that they have replaced with THAR CRDe new version booster, not with scorpio crde as we all did olden days. With Scorpio CRDe booster min travel distance for Thar is not maintained due to low weight, which is a safety essential.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd March 2017 at 14:58. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:42   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Theres a ready template for THAR CRDe with ASC. Its termed as LSPV height adjuster tool.

For eg india garage Laggare, Bangalore branch have one.
Folks,
Well its going over my head.....
what is actually LSPV,height adjustment etc.
My vehicle does not have any booster upgrades.
Will working on the rear cylinders alone resolve my wheel locking issue.
Thanks in advance.

cheers
Old 22nd March 2017, 15:20   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks,
Well its going over my head.....
what is actually LSPV,height adjustment etc.
My vehicle does not have any booster upgrades.
Will working on the rear cylinders alone resolve my wheel locking issue.
Thanks in advance.

cheers
Load sensing pressure valve, this decides the braking bias (Front to Rear) to optimize braking efficiency. Thar has a stupid spring based system that would need adjustment over a period of time, even if you not alter the ride height. Coming to ride height when you alter the same, the settings for LSPV changes, so needs adjustment.

As far as brake jamming is concerned, do all 4 wheel brake clean up and check. If one of the wheel cylinders are busted attend to it. Check if the return springs for the rear are in good shape and in position, and adjust the pads. That should sort out the brake jamming up.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 10:36   #418
BHPian

Is the Mahindra Thar 2011 end CRDe version BSIII or BSIV?

Cheers

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2017 at 23:56. Reason: Typo.
Old 31st March 2017, 10:53   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the Mahindra Thar 2011 end CRDe version BSIII or BSIV?

Cheers
Thar CRDe was always BS4

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2017 at 23:56. Reason: Quoted post was edited.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 07:26   #420

Quote:
Had a similar issue with my 2014 Thar Crde after moving to Mumbai and this used to happen during the rains - first 15-20 mins in the morning the brakes would squeak and lock with the slightest press. Apparently, this had something to do with water entering during rain while parked overnight (or even from the morning wash) and the suggested advice (which fixed it!) was to not leave the vehicle on hand-brake either overnight or while the vehicle was washed in the morning. The problem was solved immediately after I started paying attention to this.

Anybody know why water entry with parking brake engaged could cause brake locking on cold start? I also ride a 34 year old Bullet so I'm used to hacks and fixes which have no explicable logic to them but any explanation is welcome

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks