Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 10:27   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Sirjee, thanks so much for your reply and advice. But being a Class 10th Physics fail student, I havent quite got it. I havent understood how to gain access to the rod which connects the two levers to each other. And how to manipulate that rod so that it falls exactly in place. With the bonnet open and looking from the RHS fender, am I looking at the prop shaft moving or this connecting rod. I've already jacked up the vehicle in 2H and the prop shaft was not moving. Apologies for the noob queries but if i give a print out of this to the Mahindra mechanics in Jammu, they will have zero idea what im talking about. Thanks again, Kundan
Dear Kundan - kya paaji, you are supposed to sleep below the vehicle from behind the front right wheel, you will see a yellow passivated, around 10 mm diameter and 450 mm long rod connecting the two levers. Adjust its length to finally give the Borg Warner transfer case actuating lever to its desired positions for 2H, 4H and 4L. With the bonnet open, you are supposed to see the propeller shaft whether it is rotating or not. How can an actuating lever rotate? .

I again mention, there is no hub servicing, the guys may end up disturbing it and they will give you a bill also, don't do anything silly, but still print this and give it to the guys in any case.

Read this: just yesterday, one of my colleagues gave his car to the dealership with specific instruction "not to do the wheel alignment", they still rotated the wheels, did something called "wheel alignment", scratched his alloy wheels and charged him also for it. I carpool with him, he showed me the bill today morning. So, all this silliness (inventing "doing this" and "doing that") is normal across dealerships across our country because they have to generate revenue, I don't want you to unnecessarily have a heartburn for no rhyme or reason.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th May 2016, 12:06   #332
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Kundan - kya paaji, you are supposed to sleep below the vehicle from behind the front right wheel, you will see a yellow passivated, around 10 mm diameter and 450 mm long rod connecting the two levers. Adjust its length to finally give the Borg Warner transfer case actuating lever to its desired positions for 2H, 4H and 4L. With the bonnet open, you are supposed to see the propeller shaft whether it is rotating or not. How can an actuating lever rotate? .

I again mention, there is no hub servicing, the guys may end up disturbing it and they will give you a bill also, don't do anything silly, but still print this and give it to the guys in any case.

Read this: just yesterday, one of my colleagues gave his car to the dealership with specific instruction "not to do the wheel alignment", they still rotated the wheels, did something called "wheel alignment", scratched his alloy wheels and charged him also for it. I carpool with him, he showed me the bill today morning. So, all this silliness (inventing "doing this" and "doing that") is normal across dealerships across our country because they have to generate revenue, I don't want you to unnecessarily have a heartburn for no rhyme or reason.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you sir for all the advice and not to mention the patience to break it down for me.

I've already had one horrible experience with the denter+painter who has done a shoddy job of my painting my bonnet and in the bargain messed around with the 4 wheel drive. Enough heart ache for this month

I'll try this out and let you know how it went.

thanks again

Kundan
Old 20th May 2016, 10:39   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Hello there, you may have probably figured out the water ingress location by now.
Thanks for taking the time! Yes, it was that same thing, there's a gap of maybe half an inch or so from where the water enters the vehicle. Now I have another problem though, there's water leaking from the rubber lining under the windshield. I guess I should stop procrastinating and get it fixed before the rains start!
Old 20th May 2016, 10:52   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
Thanks for taking the time! Yes, it was that same thing, there's a gap of maybe half an inch or so from where the water enters the vehicle. Now I have another problem though, there's water leaking from the rubber lining under the windshield. I guess I should stop procrastinating and get it fixed before the rains start!
Dear 911er - hello to you. Tell the workshop to locate the rubber beading between the body and the folding windshield properly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 11:05   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Dear 911er - hello to you. Tell the workshop to locate the rubber beading between the body and the folding windshield properly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you, sir. Previously, I did tell them (G3 Motors) that but they said they didn't find any water seepage and that it's a complicated process since the soft top and the dashboard need to be removed, to just check. But the water seepage has continued and now I have seen it coming in from there so time to go there again!

Last edited by 911er : 20th May 2016 at 11:05. Reason: Words edited
Old 23rd May 2016, 14:19   #336
BHPian

There was this particular problem in my 12000 kms run Thar Crde. A strange whinning noise came from the front RH side probably somewhere in the tyres. Like a whistle. Faster I go shriller the noise. Looked like a malaligned disc brake pad or like something stuck up there.It was occassional but rather irritating.
Garage (ASS) tried to fix it to no avail, brake pads were said to be hard but not requiring replacement as such. Took to a FNG (the chap who owns is my patient- so I get better attention there- infact he is few garages working on 4x4 Jeeps and Gypsy here) He did a short 50 metres test drive, blamed the Hub bearing greasings to be inadequate. Opened up the front hub assembly, took out the bearings and the grease was in fact very less and worn out, cleaned it, and applied liberal amount of new grease and fixed it back, and it became all right. (I learnt how to open the auto locking hubs and refix them in the process- as it fails to unlock at times- need a nose plier though)
I think its because of a number of water fordings I have done with my vehicle that there is premature greasing required ( Manual says 60K interval) Or is it some thing else? What extra precautions should I take for shallow water fordings like these?

Old 23rd May 2016, 17:28   #337
BHPian

Having coolant consumption issues again. On Saturday early morning before heading out for a drive I checked the coolant bottle and it was almost empty. Topped it up till the high mark and started. Did 160 Km total in around 5 hours - mostly highway and at steady 80ish speeds. On getting back I noticed the bottle is again fully empty !
Planning to take it in to the service center to get it checked.
Upper and lower hoses have already been changed over the last couple of years and no visible signs of leakage exist.
Is there anything else I have to ask them to check ?
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:47   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Having coolant consumption issues again. On Saturday early morning before heading out for a drive I checked the coolant bottle and it was almost empty. Topped it up till the high mark and started. Did 160 Km total in around 5 hours - mostly highway and at steady 80ish speeds. On getting back I noticed the bottle is again fully empty !
Planning to take it in to the service center to get it checked.
Upper and lower hoses have already been changed over the last couple of years and no visible signs of leakage exist.
Is there anything else I have to ask them to check ?
Cherian...Please check the radiator cap/thermostat, appears to be the culprit if all other plumbing has been replaced!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 11:38   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Cherian...Please check the radiator cap/thermostat, appears to be the culprit if all other plumbing has been replaced!
Thanks cpbopanna. I will get it checked.

Went to MPL Mahindra Service on OMR this morning on my way to office and find out that they are being sold to TVS and will open again only on June 1st. As I don't want to do R&D with unknown service guys will try to keep filling coolant till then. However the Maximile Ultracool coolant doesn't seem to be available other than with the dealers. Are there any known sources in Chennai for this (already checked with GP road ML Auto Mahindra Spares) ?

Can any other commonly available coolant be used instead ?
Old 24th May 2016, 16:22   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Thanks cpbopanna. I will get it checked.

Went to MPL Mahindra Service on OMR this morning on my way to office and find out that they are being sold to TVS and will open again only on June 1st. As I don't want to do R&D with unknown service guys will try to keep filling coolant till then. However the Maximile Ultracool coolant doesn't seem to be available other than with the dealers. Are there any known sources in Chennai for this (already checked with GP road ML Auto Mahindra Spares) ?

Can any other commonly available coolant be used instead ?
I personally use any coolant available! Unlike in the case of lubricants where it is critical to stick to specifications, I reckon using any coolant should be fine!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 17:35   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There was this particular problem in my 12000 kms run Thar Crde. A strange whinning noise came from the front RH side probably somewhere in the tyres. Like a whistle. Faster I go shriller the noise. Looked like a malaligned disc brake pad or like something stuck up there.It was occassional but rather irritating.
Garage (ASS) tried to fix it to no avail, brake pads were said to be hard but not requiring replacement as such. Took to a FNG (the chap who owns is my patient- so I get better attention there- infact he is few garages working on 4x4 Jeeps and Gypsy here) He did a short 50 metres test drive, blamed the Hub bearing greasings to be inadequate. Opened up the front hub assembly, took out the bearings and the grease was in fact very less and worn out, cleaned it, and applied liberal amount of new grease and fixed it back, and it became all right. (I learnt how to open the auto locking hubs and refix them in the process- as it fails to unlock at times- need a nose plier though)
I think its because of a number of water fordings I have done with my vehicle that there is premature greasing required ( Manual says 60K interval) Or is it some thing else? What extra precautions should I take for shallow water fordings like these?
Dear Dr MNC SK - hello to you. Please put some oil with an oil can in between the brake disc sheet metal cover and the axle shaft hub without opening anything. Mostly the sound will go away. If not, remove the hub cover and the shaft locating clip, push the half shaft inwards (towards the axle center line) and then put some oil. Then the noise will go away. This area tends to become dry after water fording. I liked your water fording video!

Dear Cherian - hello after a very long time. On the first day, change the radiator pressure cap and fill the system properly. On the second day in dead cold condition, remove the pressure cap, start the engine, refill the radiator and the surge tank as required, assemble the pressure cap and use the vehicle. On the third day, see if there is any coolant loss. If yes, then only go for next step, don't do anything hasty. By the way, if coolant is not there for refilling, normal water will do, but don't put well water.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 11:56   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Dr MNC SK - hello to you...
... noise will go away. This area tends to become dry after water fording. I liked your water fording video!

Dear DHABHAR.BEHRAM

I have been humbled to get an answer from the creator of Thar himself. Let me take this opportunity to say hello to you and appreciation for creating/designing/testing a wonderful product. In my mother tongue they say "Bujney lai srikhanda nabujney lai khurpakobair" meaning "For those who know its a piece of Sandalwood and for those who dont just a Sickle handle!"

Thank you very much for your input. Next time it happens again I am going to do as advised. How I wish you would have time to give me inputs regarding my other list of niggles (I am not complaining. period) that crops up time again.

Best Regards
Old 25th May 2016, 13:58   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"Bujney lai srikhanda nabujney lai khurpakobair" meaning "For those who know, its a piece of Sandalwood and for those who dont just a Sickle handle"! Best Regards
Dear Doc MNC SK - oh come on now Doc, its my pleasure! I lose nothing by helping, it makes me feel nice, so I help, it's that simple! Also, in the midst of all the "projected-as-confusing" environment, besides giving some meaning to my passion for automobiles, it is a means of relaxation for me also. Please post all your other niggles, let's see.

I am a Parsi Bawaji, we offer sandalwood in our fire temples, so it is nice to see your connection also, with sandalwood. Unfortunately, today's corporate world insists that they just won't rest until they brow-beat every scrap of sandalwood that they see (it's rare in any case) to a sickle handle, or worse! Hahaha! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 14:14   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Doc MNC SK - oh come on now Doc, its my pleasure! I lose nothing by helping, it makes me feel nice, so I help, it's that simple! Also, in the midst of all the "projected-as-confusing" environment, besides giving some meaning to my passion for automobiles, it is a means of relaxation for me also. Please post all your other niggles, let's see.

I am a Parsi Bawaji, we offer sandalwood in our fire temples, so it is nice to see your connection also, with sandalwood. Unfortunately, today's corporate world insists that they just won't rest until they brow-beat every scrap of sandalwood that they see (it's rare in any case) to a sickle handle, or worse! Hahaha! .
Hello Behramji,

That was a nice connection to Sandalwood (which here is a rarity too). Your passion and experience of all these years is what has helped us all to acquire/drive/enjoy the Thar. I had posted my experience and the niggles in a thread elsewhere, but being new to this forum cannot find a way to quote (Perhaps inter thread quotes are not possible)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...d-edition.html

Right now I am busy hunting out some "seam seal" to drive in this downpour without letting the canvas leak.

And I have read and tried that canvas tightning protocol (with those nuts bolts at the side) to no avail.

Thank you in advance.
Old 25th May 2016, 14:23   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am busy hunting out some "seam seal" to drive in this downpour without letting the canvas leak. And I have read and tried that canvas tightning protocol (with those nuts bolts at the side) to no avail. Thank you in advance.
Dear Doc MNC SK - if you have the new canopy with the sloping rear, the canvas tightening protocol will not work. The rear had to be vertical to give the reaction required when you pull, here the rear will bend forwards, so "finito"! I had made the original canopy very carefully with the vendor in Pune, it took only 4 days, but in those 4 days I had to "think"!

Also, with the new canopy and that silly looking front plastic bumper, the Jeep look is gone in any case! ENJOY! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks