Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2007, 18:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

I am not trying to defend anyone here, just posting my experiences and opinions.

You can visit lower McLeodganj and ask for this road and decide for yourself whether its steep enough on your next visit, although I have no quantitative way to measure the degree of steepness.

Talking about following standards, how many roads are built according to the specifications laid out by CRRI ??, how many contractors or PWD officials even know them ??, one example being the "speed breakers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
dadu, it might interest you to know that a 1 in 3 gradient is used FOR TESTING cars, their hand-brake holding ability, etc.. NO PUBLIC ROAD is made to even a 1 in 3 gradient (ie. 30 degrees). All I suggested is an elegant way out when not sure of numbers - to be qualitative (eg. very steep) rather than quantitative (eg. 45 degrees or more). Why do you feel it your 'responsibility' to defend the 'indefensible'?
BTW, as an acute mountain lover I have driven extensively all over 'our' part of the Himalayas - Garhwal, Kumaon, Himachal (including Spiti & Lahaul), J&K (including Ladakh). I have yet to find a road that even approaches 30 degrees gradient. Yes, a few, very few, Hotel owners have made 'private drive-ways' that might come close to those kind of numbers, but even there no one has made a road at a 45 degree gradient (ie. a 1 in 2!!!).
Old 9th September 2007, 18:47   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Absar, I'm not sure of that 'pressure-release' thing. A lot of the hand-brakes are 'mechanically' operated (via physical cable), I thought.
Are modern cars using 'hydraulic' hand-brakes?
Unless you mean 'pressure-release' as in the mechanical 'pressure'/force between the drums and the shoes is 'released'/removed.
Well, umm I dont know how to say it exactly. When I activate the handbrake, the rear of the car lifts up slightly and the wheels get locked still, and when i release the handbrake, the rear comes down again to normal position. It happens in the cars with rear disc brakes too.

cya
A
Old 9th September 2007, 19:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

In all fairness, some 'standards' are always followed for road-building.
It is common experience for us that the end result is often disappointing because of various factors, corruption being top of the list. Shodiness is also a way of life here. However, this does not result in 35 degree gradients. At the planning stage, 'standards' are adhered to.
As for the CRRI specs, contractors need hardly know them; the civil engineers better do, and they do know sufficient basics.
About Dharamshala and McLeodganj, I've done that numerous times, thankyou. While khada danda (assuming that is the shorter route connecting the two) is a very steep road, and I too have no way to quantitatively measure it, I call it very steep. That is ALL that I suggested you do, instead of saying 45 degrees or more (because those numbers are absurd if applied to roads, public or private). It would be worthwhile to have it checked out but I dare say it will not violate the principles of 'good practice', ie. it will not be >30 degrees inclination.
Sorry if you felt bad - my intention was only to stress that no road is made to an angle greater than 30.
Old 9th September 2007, 20:57   #79
Senior - BHPian

Only around corners...
Old 9th September 2007, 22:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Only around corners...
A quick re-cap, Sir. We're talking gradients here.
Old 9th September 2007, 22:53   #81
Senior - BHPian

Oh, my post was in response to the title.
Old 10th September 2007, 01:08   #82
BHPian

Always use the hand brake while parking as well as stopping at a signal. Always park in neutral when on flat ground and in first/reverse on inclines/declines
Old 10th September 2007, 06:17   #83
BHPian

I would say always. The combination of parking brakes accelarator and clutch works best when driving onto steep slopes and if the car stops due to shift in to low gear. Just a scenario that happened yesterday on a trip to Nandi hills. My car stopped at the last bend on the top and i was revving at 2nd gear so applied parking brakes then shift back to 1st and revved up to the top slowly releasing the parking brakes. the vehicle (Ikon 1.8D) did not move reverse by that technique. Not sure if that is the best technique but that worked for me very well.....
Old 10th September 2007, 08:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

lancersfx, you managed your situation well, but there are ways of handling a steep gradient which preclude the possibility of your car 'stalling'. Shift into an appropriately low gear right in the beginning; don't wait for the revs to drop to dangerously low levels before trying to shift down. Shift down WELL IN ADVANCE, while you still have sufficient revs and momentum in hand.
Old 10th September 2007, 08:26   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Oh, my post was in response to the title.
My apologies Sir. Mis-understood your context.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:16   #86
BHPian

I use handbrakes for parking and also in traffic signals.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:39   #87
BHPian

I guess what you have quoted is correct anupmathur....cuz diesel engines need to be revved more than the petrol engines......So I guess shifting down when engine is in the good rev limit is the ideal way.......thanks for the advice.
Old 10th September 2007, 11:00   #88
BANNED

revharder -Hand Brake - Do you use it everytime ?

you mentioned
" always turn your front tyres almost fully towards the curb (foothpath) while parking on a road with some incline/decline. so that even if car moves ahead it'll not go out of control! "

simple to DO. But very effective .
Old 10th September 2007, 11:05   #89
Senior - BHPian

Always the gear 1 or reverse depending upon the slope and the handbrake. On an incline always turn the tires towards the kerb while parking.
Old 10th September 2007, 12:36   #90
Senior - BHPian

Don't confuse yourself needlessly, wanderernomad - use first gear regardless of direction of slope. Or use reverse. Suit yourself. The gradient direction does not matter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks