Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 16:45   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: How often should we change gear oil?

+1

I just checked with the elders in the family & they all told me the same thing. In fact, they even added that water was better at dissipating heat & they seem correct as water has a higher specific heat than water+coolant. Moreover, it seems that most issues were caused in those days due to rusting/corrosion of some metal component of the cooling assembly, which would either result in blockage or breakdown of that component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The answer is 'yes'. All cars my dad and grandpa had used only water in the radiator. This includes the Amby, Fiat 1100 and Standard Herald.

As far as I know, coolant usage started with the M 800.
Old 10th April 2012, 16:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Ok I've decided to go for GL-4 only - Gulf synGear EP 75W-90 looks like a good one. Gulf Syngear EP - Transmission Fluid by Gulf Oil

Anyone used this one? How are the results? No noticeable improvement or Great stuff?!!

Unfortunately its not available in 4ltr or 1ltr cans. Now where can I get the original stuff from a large drum? I will need 5 ltr in all I think.

--Ragul
No personal experience with this oil, but Gulf generally makes pretty good oils at a competitive price. I'd say go for it (assuming it meets the specs) without much hesitation and try it out.

Good luck about getting original stuff from a drum... thats going to be difficult to ensure. But still, you could call up Gulf for help. They are responsive.

I'm just loving the effect of Shell in my gearbox, compared to what the MASS have used over the years (details mentioned in earlier posts). I'd seriously suggest people to use their own oil in the gearbox. I'm kicking myself for worrying only about the engine oil till now.
Old 15th April 2012, 14:22   #108
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
No personal experience with this oil, but Gulf generally makes pretty good oils at a competitive price. I'd say go for it (assuming it meets the specs) without much hesitation and try it out.
I had some difficulty finding multigrade only SAE90 was available in GL-4 then found a Total Transtec Gl-4 80W-90 gear oil. I picked up 5 ltrs then found the service manual listed
Quote:
  1. Transmission Oil - 1.3L
  2. Transfer Gearbox oil - 0.8L
  3. Differential Oil - Front -2.0L, Read 1.5L
Making 5.6ltrs in total actually.
Now I need to go back all the way if I don't find it locally.
Cost Rs 210/- per ltr Can including VAT. the 5ltr can was 2 years oild hence did not take that.

I am curious if differential will perform better with a different oil? And if the same oil will work with Limited slip once I add that?

--Rahul
Old 17th April 2012, 09:01   #109
BHPian

Guys,

Need a quick info. Lost my service booklet and my brains.

My car, Swift 1.3 Petrol will be serviced this week. All oils inside the beauty needs to be changed, as it has run over 20k kms. Can you be kind enough to let me know the grades of oils that needs to be changed, like Engine Oil, Gear Oil etc.

Do we have any equivalent grades in Shell. Worried about the muck being put by MASS. Need all your valuable inputs.
Old 17th April 2012, 23:39   #110
Senior - BHPian

I think you should check with your car's service manual, but I believe that it runs on a 20Wx oil, with API specs of SG & above. For the gear oil, it should be 75W90.

Shell has many options for your car, just explore their Indian website & you would find products suiting your requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Guys,

My car, Swift 1.3 Petrol will be serviced this week. All oils inside the beauty needs to be changed, as it has run over 20k kms. Can you be kind enough to let me know the grades of oils that needs to be changed, like Engine Oil, Gear Oil etc.

Do we have any equivalent grades in Shell. Worried about the muck being put by MASS. Need all your valuable inputs.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:08   #111
BHPian

I have been using Castrol lube oils fro my cars & it has served me very well.
Castrol Magnatec for Engine oil & Castrol's Gear oil for, well the gear oil!
Sorry if I appear to be plugging a particular oil,but its my belief That one should pick one good grade( my tendency has been to pick a better grade than what the owner's manual prescribes)& stick with it.
This policy, along with the practice of timely changes has helped to keep the engines of all the cars I've owned in tip top condition.
FWIW..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Guys,

Kamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:13   #112
Senior - BHPian

^^^What exactly do you mean by "pick a better grade"?
Old 30th April 2012, 21:49   #113
BHPian

If the manual specifies AP SF, for e.g, I would go in for a higher grade from Castrol, as AP SJ .
Old 10th May 2012, 20:14   #114
BHPian

I changed the gear oil in my sx4 yesterday with Total 80w90 transtec. the problem ins 1st gear is a bit hard to engage at start up but after a period of 10 minutes it operates as earlier. cost was rs220/- per litre.
Attached Thumbnails
How often should we change gear oil?-photo1548.jpg  

How often should we change gear oil?-photo1549.jpg  

Old 11th May 2012, 09:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry, it will smooth out over some hundred kilometers. I had this oil in my Alto's gearbox & it was really good. It' a good choice you have made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
I changed the gear oil in my sx4 yesterday with Total 80w90 transtec. the problem ins 1st gear is a bit hard to engage at start up but after a period of 10 minutes it operates as earlier. cost was rs220/- per litre.
blackfire_9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 21:09   #116
BHPian

Vehicle: Xylo
Current ODO: ~52K KMs
Ownership Period: 2 years

The manual says to replace at 10K (which I did) and then at 100K. Specs mentioned: "Mahindra Maximile Syntec 75W90, 2 Ltr, Exceeds API GL-4". Book also says that if other oil used then interval to be reduced.

The thought of changing the transmission (gear) oil prematurely had been in my mind ever since vehicle was nearing 48K. I believe that such change will surely not do any harm, but all possibilities towards some good.

Y'day at my visit to workshop, I asked them to change this oil. The 2 ltr bottle had MRP of Rs.732/-, OEM by IOCL. I think M&M may have bit altered the original specs by additives and then branded as Maximile. Labor was charged as Rs.60.

In the coming days, I hope to observe a positive difference and would update you all.

thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 19:50   #117
Senior - BHPian

I got my i10 serviced today and asked for a gear oil change.

Is there some way to check that gear oil has been changed ?

The Hyundai A.S.S. did not add any labour charge for gear oil change. Only Gear Oil has been charged in the bill. Is this normal ?

Rohan
Old 7th February 2013, 13:24   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Ok I've decided to go for GL-4 only - Gulf synGear EP 75W-90 looks like a good one. Gulf Syngear EP - Transmission Fluid by Gulf Oil

Anyone used this one? How are the results? No noticeable improvement or Great stuff?!!

Unfortunately its not available in 4ltr or 1ltr cans. Now where can I get the original stuff from a large drum? I will need 5 ltr in all I think.

--Ragul
Did you ever get this in the market?? the 75W90 Gulf Syngear oil? I searched a lot for it. No one sells a 75W90 grade gear box oil in india.
Old 7th February 2013, 19:39   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Did you ever get this in the market?? the 75W90 Gulf Syngear oil? I searched a lot for it. No one sells a 75W90 grade gear box oil in india.
I think I got Total brand instead I dont remember too well its been many months.

--R
Old 8th February 2013, 10:48   #120
BHPian

Quote:
I think I got Total brand instead I dont remember too well its been many months.

--R
Total brand too, there is no 75W90 sold in the market. I am not finding even one brand in the market selling 75W90 which is OEM specification.

Most Viewed