Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2012, 16:58   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: How often should we change gear oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think this question has been discussed to death in the log running Synthetic v Mineral Oil thread.
Sorry Sir, I didn't understand.

The thread you mentioned is about engine oils, whereas I'm asking about gear oil.

Do you mean to say that gear oil is always synthetic, hence time doesn't matter ?

Rohan
Old 15th March 2012, 21:35   #62
BHPian

For the ford ikon it is the life of the car, i am not sure if i am right but i never have changed it. Now i might change.
Old 15th March 2012, 21:52   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
They both said, " 20k kms OR 2years, whichever occurs earlier. Reason being that the oil starts degrading even if you don't use the car much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Why is it that gear oil change interval is mentioned only in terms of kms and not (additionally) in terms of months/years?
The oil change interval depends on the kind of oil that you would use - if you use mineral oil, it degrades quicker so you need to stick to the recommended interval even if your car has not traveled the distance specified but it has been past the specified period of time. Synthetic oil probably has a longer 'shelf life' (call it that, if you will) so you have lesser degradation.
Old 15th March 2012, 23:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
For the ford ikon it is the life of the car, i am not sure if i am right but i never have changed it. Now i might change.
Wow!
You're a brave man!
Kamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 23:14   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Wow!
You're a brave man!

Has anyone changed the gear oil for ford ikon 1.6. The ford Service station told me that it is for life. how much does it cost?
Old 16th March 2012, 01:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Few months ago, changed the transmission oil to Shell Spirax 80W90. The change is pretty noticeable! Engine oil yes, but surprised that even gear oil can make a noticeable difference! MUCH better than whatever the MASS has been dunking in the car. I was told by one SA that the brand is Servo. Could not confirm that as they had a central reservoir somewhere and fill it using a nozzle at each bay. So glad I did not use their oil this time. Whats more they charge more (despite buying crap in wholesale) than what I paid for the individual 1 lt Shell bottles.

Actually, MUL strongly recommends SAE 75W90 for Esteem, but could not get that anywhere in bottles/cans. Oil dealers told its available only in drums. Indeed, I saw it at another MASS in a drum, but it was priced much higher than 80W90. Wonder why its so much pricier, and that too in drums. Wonder if it would make the gears even smoother.

Last edited by Raccoon : 16th March 2012 at 01:38.
Old 16th March 2012, 08:19   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Actually, MUL strongly recommends SAE 75W90 for Esteem, but could not get that anywhere in bottles/cans. Oil dealers told its available only in drums. Indeed, I saw it at another MASS in a drum, but it was priced much higher than 80W90. Wonder why its so much pricier, and that too in drums. Wonder if it would make the gears even smoother.
75W-90 is a synthetic grade and hence costs a bomb as compared to a straight 90 oil or 80W-90

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2012 at 14:26. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 16th March 2012, 09:30   #68
Senior - BHPian

My query still remains unanswered.

My usage is very less (5k kms per year approx). So I have covered 15k kms in 3 years.

The i10 manual only tells to replace transaxle fluid after 15k kms, but does not mention any time frame.

My doubt is why is the time frame not mentioned for gear oil, the way it is mentioned for engine oil. Don't the chemical properties and lubricating effect of gear oil get altered after a few years ?

Rohan
Old 16th March 2012, 10:18   #69
BHPian

Shell Spirax 80W90 can this be used in the ford ikon? Anyone with a manual for the 1.6P help me with the correct grade?
Old 16th March 2012, 14:20   #70
Senior - BHPian

@rohan_iitr; Gear oil life varies a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer. Also, since the gearbox is more or less sealed, the distance parameter is of much more importance than the time parameter. Hence I will play safe by saying take the distance and if you drive much less, take it as about 1.5 to 2x of the time as calculated by, say, 10,000km per annum.

If the days of the good ol' Amby and FIAT the oil life was specified, but most garages took it as the life of the car (or box!!). I remember getting stares (as if I have just landed from the moon) when I wanted to change to gear and diff oils of my FIAT.

You can be a bit flexible with the grade (SAE90 in place of 80W90 etc.) but check on the EP specification. If EP is specified get an EP oil.

Last edited by sgiitk : 16th March 2012 at 14:21.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 16:00   #71
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rb2399;2715699]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Few months ago, changed the transmission oil to Shell Spirax 80W90. The change is pretty noticeable! Engine oil yes, but surprised that even gear oil can make a noticeable difference! MUCH better than whatever the MASS has been dunking in the car. I was told by one SA that the brand is Servo. Could not confirm that as they had a central reservoir somewhere and fill it using a nozzle at each bay. So glad I did not use their oil this time. Whats more they charge more (despite buying crap in wholesale) than what I paid for the individual 1 lt Shell bottles.

75W-90 is a synthetic grade and hence costs a bomb as compared to a straight 90 oil or 80W-90
Are you sure?? I wonder because it wasn't mentioned anywhere that it is fully synthetic. Also, MULs recommendation would be pretty old and I'm not too sure if fully synth oils were available back then. Also, the price (not exactly a bomb but IIRC it was around double or so compared to 80W90. I think a fully synth would cost still more) makes me suspect if MUL would recommend it for general use in all their MASSs. Whenever I asked what grade they used generally, I never got a satisfactory reply. At the MASS where I saw the 75W90 drum, I was told that I could go for either grade. They would fill up whatever the customer wants. Strange replies overall, as most customers are quite unlikely to bother about such things.

That said, for those who may not know, 80W90 can be used in Marutis, but MUL strongly emphasizes on 75W90, at least for the Esteem.

Last edited by Raccoon : 16th March 2012 at 16:03.
Old 16th March 2012, 16:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

I do not think any of the routine gear oils are full or even semi-synth.
Old 17th March 2012, 21:45   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Shell Spirax 80W90 can this be used in the ford ikon? Anyone with a manual for the 1.6P help me with the correct grade?
Manual says WSD-M2C200C. 2.8 litre.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2012, 06:28   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Manual says WSD-M2C200C. 2.8 litre.
this is for the ikon petrol 1.6 L, I will change it soon. Many thanks for this
Old 18th March 2012, 10:44   #75
BHPian

Gear oil has a long life way more than engine oil mainly because it's a fatter oil. However it does not like water. So follow the user manual but if you live in one of the areas where transmission is submerged in water any amount of time during monsoon you should change your transmission oil.

I have always been told in the offroading world if you play in water you should changed the diff and other gear oil based fluids after each heavy exposure to water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks