Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 14:15   #16
BHPian

Re: How often should we change gear oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
I think its 40k for the Lancer, better for you to just get gear & clutch oil replaced. Its not that expensive...
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get it checked first thing tomorro. Just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the previous owner had changed it before.
Old 1st January 2012, 12:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get it checked first thing tomorro. Just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the previous owner had changed it before.
Not to worry too much, but I did re-confirm from the service chart, that clutch/brake fluid is to be replaced every 40k for Lancer Petrol.

In case you face any judder at low speeds, or hardness, you can also ask to do "clutch bleeding" while they replace the fluids. I had some judder at very low speeds/higher gear at ~70k, and vid6639 recommended to try out clutch bleeding with gear oil change. Glad to have tried it out, my Lancer is now almost at 92k, and on original gear, clutch assembly (knocks on wood) :-)
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 16:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai recommends gear oil change at 30K interval for Accent
Old 1st January 2012, 17:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Gear oil change in Honda City is at 60K KMs which is decent IMO.
Old 1st January 2012, 20:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Gear oil change in Civic is marked at 60k Kms, also in my Baleno i remember we changed the gear oil at 60K Kms (Not sure what is recommended, will need to check when i return). So 60K does seem like the mark for both my cars.
Old 1st January 2012, 21:46   #21
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Gear oil change in Civic is marked at 60k Kms,
True, but many of us felt that is better changed earlier, specially if the car has mostly seen stop and go traffic. We changed it during the 40k service.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Depends on Car, I change/used to change the transmission oil at following kms,

800 - every 40k kms/2-3years
Alto 1.1 - every 40k kms/2-3years
Swift - every 40k kms/2-3years
Polo - recommended at 60k kms/4 years
Lancer/Cedia - recommended change at 100k kms/5 years
Transmission oil can be different from gear/clutch oil! Lancer has clutch/gear oil replacement recommended @40k/2years, while transmission oil is to be replaced @100k like you mentioned.
I got confused as well since I thought the two are same for manual transmission, but it seems not. Here's a link to service interval recommendations for the Lancer:
Lancer - Recommended Service Schedule

I would recommend changing the gear/clutch oil every 40k! My Lancer is @92k, so next service will attend to the transmission oil change thanks to this thread :-)

Last edited by lancer_rit : 2nd January 2012 at 09:55.
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Not to worry too much, but I did re-confirm from the service chart, that clutch/brake fluid is to be replaced every 40k for Lancer Petrol.

In case you face any judder at low speeds, or hardness, you can also ask to do "clutch bleeding" while they replace the fluids. I had some judder at very low speeds/higher gear at ~70k, and vid6639 recommended to try out clutch bleeding with gear oil change. Glad to have tried it out, my Lancer is now almost at 92k, and on original gear, clutch assembly (knocks on wood) :-)
Hey, couldn't get the oil checked over the weekend, thanks to our wonderful newyears plans Anyway i'd like to mention that shifting gears in my car (Lancer) are a little hard compared to my previous car (Esteem). Could this be the result of not changing oil or is the lancers gears normally a little harder than the esteem???
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, couldn't get the oil checked over the weekend, thanks to our wonderful newyears plans Anyway i'd like to mention that shifting gears in my car (Lancer) are a little hard compared to my previous car (Esteem). Could this be the result of not changing oil or is the lancers gears normally a little harder than the esteem???
Haven't driven an Esteem only been a passenger in it. However, the Lancer gear box is one of the slickest I have driven and never felt hard to me - however, that could be relative. Given your symptoms, I would just go ahead with oil change and clutch bleeding!
Other bhpians would be able to compare Esteem vs Lancer for smooth shift!
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Transmission oil can be different from gear/clutch oil! Lancer has clutch/gear oil replacement recommended @40k/2years, while transmission oil is to be replaced @100k like you mentioned.
I got confused as well since I thought the two are same for manual transmission, but it seems not. Here's a link to service interval recommendations for the Lancer:
Lancer - Recommended Service Schedule

I would recommend changing the gear/clutch oil every 40k! My Lancer is @92k, so next service will attend to the transmission oil change thanks to this thread :-)
Brake/clutch oil in Lancer/cedia are common, two cylinders sharing common oil (Dot 4). Transmission oil is all together different and lubricate gearbox/transmission (one and the same thing) and axles in FWD cars.

As you could see in the service schedule mentioned, clutch/brake oil has a recommended change interval of 40k kms/2 years and transmission oil has a recommended change interval of 100,000 kms/5 years.. This thread is "How often should we change gear oil?", so for lancer/cedia, the answer is 100k kms/5 years...

Please do not confuse clutch oil to transmission/gear oil. Lancer has a hydraulic clutch and not the wire one..

Quote:
Even after over a decade, lancer has the best gearbox around. Not even cedia's gearbox come close, when we talk about shifting.. Try changing gear oil and also the clutch oil. Should definitely help, hows the condition of clutch in between, that can be a hinderance.. If all that doesnt help, get the shifter cables lubricated..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 2nd January 2012 at 11:58.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Brake/clutch oil in Lancer/cedia are common, two cylinders sharing common oil (Dot 4). Transmission oil is all together different and lubricate gearbox/transmission (one and the same thing) and axles in FWD cars.

Please do not confuse clutch oil to transmission/gear oil. Lancer has a hydraulic clutch and not the wire one..
You're right - gear oil = transmission oil. I am aware that clutch and brake oil is the same DOT4, but was mistakenly using gear oil together with clutch oil. Thanks for pointing out. I see that the thread subject is relevant to gear/transmission oil!
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is the gear oil "changed" or just topped up?

My SA mentioned that the gear oil was low and so he topped it up during the last service at 35k kms.
Gear oil level will not dip, so there is no question of topping up like engine oil. Check if there is any leak.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
True, but many of us felt that is better changed earlier, specially if the car has mostly seen stop and go traffic. We changed it during the 40k service.
How is that relevant?

Stop and go traffic will have adverse affect on the clutch primarily but has NO adverse affect on gear box. As a matter of fact, the moment the engine is started and clutch is not depressed, the main shaft is running. Its just not transferring power to the output shaft.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

FIAT recommends gear oil change at 30,000 kms or 2 years whichever is earlier. Its a synthetic oil afaik.

The service centre forgot to change it at the last service where it should have been done but as the running was low, i didnt follow up, will get it changed this April when it goes for servicing.

I think 30k-40k kms/ 2 years is what most manufacturers prefer.
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Alto (800 cc) manual recommends Gear-Oil change at 20,000 km.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks