Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2016, 13:42   #151
BHPian

Re: How often should we change gear oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I was too tired searching for the Gear oil but went to MGP store in Hyderabad and asked for it.
Where exactly is this MGP store in Hyderabad Anurag ?
Old 11th January 2016, 13:44   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post

Where exactly is this MGP store in Hyderabad Anurag ?
There are a couple of them. I visit the Balanagar one mainly. They stock most of the spares and oils.
Old 11th January 2016, 15:21   #153
BHPian

Quote:
There are a couple of them. I visit the Balanagar one mainly. They stock most of the spares and oils.
Can you please let me know the address of this place ? I need to get few parts for my DZire and planning to do this over coming weekends.

PM me if appropriate.
Old 11th January 2016, 19:59   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Can you please let me know the address of this place ? I need to get few parts for my DZire and planning to do this over coming weekends.

PM me if appropriate.
There are 3 that I know:

1) Rotex Auto Parts Pvt Ltd
Type :MGP Distributor
11-6-27/14-15, "SUNSIP",
Opp.IDPL Factotry,,
HYDERABAD,TELANGANA

2) Located at the southern end of Minister's Road near the junction where the road goes to Ranigunj.

3) On the Rajivgandhi Rahadari road there is a Volkswagen Showroom and Acer Motors located. Near that crossing the MGP dealer is there.
Old 12th January 2016, 10:54   #155
BHPian

Quote:
There are 3 that I know:

2) Located at the southern end of Minister's Road near the junction where the road goes to Ranigunj.
Thanks a ton Anurag. Minister's Road is the closest spot for me. Have you got any reference of shops close near Madhapur or in and around 10 kms around it ?
Old 12th January 2016, 11:22   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I have had a close inspection of the oil barrels at MASS (My Car and Sai Service) and the quantity filled by them. I found genuine oil and correct quantity.

You can get 75W90 oil in Nana Path. There are 2 good oil shops, right on the main road (Laxmi Road) in Nana Peth. I buy engine oil from there.

This place is at 10 min distance from my house. If you want, I can buy a can for you.
So should I get it done from MASS itself or get the cans from Nana Peth?
You can give me details about the gear oil and the shops, I'll go and get them myself

Thanks.
Old 12th January 2016, 16:31   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
So should I get it done from MASS itself or get the cans from Nana Peth?
You can give me details about the gear oil and the shops, I'll go and get them myself

Thanks.
You can check with:
Industrial Oil Company 020 2633 6137. I recently purchased Castrol Magnatec 5W30 oil from them.

United Oil Company. Opposite Punjab National Bank. This too is a good shop. I did not purchase there because they had only a bigger can.

Reputed brands are available at both the shops. I suggest you to negotiate the price.
Old 30th July 2018, 12:38   #158
mxh
BHPian

Got my Manual transmission fluid and Brake fluid of my 2015 Honda City replaced as they were 36 months old. I hope it was done cause unlike my old Baleno, there is no dipstick so no way to check the condition or quantity of the fluid. There seems to be an improvement in the brakes but no improvement in the gear shift which I still feel is too rough and the clutch is still quite heavy. The SA was arguing that there was no need to change this stuff even though I showed him the manual and he said it should be changed at 5 years and also tried to charge me 3x the actual price specified on the Honda website.
Old 30th July 2018, 12:45   #159
Senior - BHPian

Motul 75w90 is available on Amazon and Flipkart in 1L packing. I recently used it for my Pajero and it is really good. It is called Motul 75w90 Technosynthese and I think it a mineral or semi synthetic oil. My gear shifts have become really smooth and there is no gear grinding or hard shifts even on a cold start. It is about 600 rupees a liter.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 13:39   #160
BHPian

My Grand i10 has covered 27k in 3 years and the gear oil has never been changed. Is this a difficult operation as the A.S.S said its not needed or as easy as the engine oil change that i can go to a FNG for it as well. Any suggestions on the best oil these days?
Old 10th November 2018, 13:40   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
My Grand i10 has covered 27k in 3 years and the gear oil has never been changed. Is this a difficult operation as the A.S.S said its not needed or as easy as the engine oil change that i can go to a FNG for it as well. Any suggestions on the best oil these days?
In general once in 20000Kms or as recommended by manufacturer.
Typically SAE 80-90 Grade Gear Oil is recommended. You can go with this or some of the newer fully synthetic breeds of gear oil.
Old 10th November 2018, 15:31   #162
Senior - BHPian

@shankar.balan; One correction. Remember if hypoid gears are used then go for the EP (ie extreme pressure oils. Almost, all gearboxes require this grade of oil. There is no harm in using EP when it may not be called for. I think 20,000km sounds a bit on the lower side but could be so.
Old 10th November 2018, 19:26   #163
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Hypoids are not used in gearboxes. (Involutes)

DO NOT use EP in gearboxes. (Older common formulations). Use an EP only if the manufacturer recommends its use.

I think it has been discussed before.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 10th November 2018 at 19:31.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 20:55   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Check the manual for the drain/refill frequency, correct viscosity grade AND GL specification. Most cars take SAE 80, 85 or 90 in single grade or with multi-grade it is generally 75W-85, 75W-90 or similar.

GL specs are generally GL4 or GL5 with the former being the most common. Again, do not use GL5 if GL4 is recommended or vice versa. GL5 has additives that can damage synchronisers over the long term.

Do not deviate from recommendations.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 09:08   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please get the gear oil changed once in 3 years or 45K kms whichever is earlier.

All Hyundai Manual Transmission cars use API GL-4 SAE 75W85 gear oil.
Grand i10 needs 2 Litres .

Stick to the grade of 75W85 GL4. Unlike engine oil which will not cause a noticeable difference if you move up or down a grade a bit, gear oil grade is very important for the smooth shifting of gears. Gear box is calibrated to a particular grade and it does not tolerate any other grade gear oil.

I have used Petronas Tutela 75W85 GL4+ on my i20 for the past 70K kms and it works really well on my car. I am very happy with it.

I would not suggest the Servo/Indian oil crap that the HASS uses. It made the gear shift harder after the change and i felt that i should not have changed the factory filled oil in the first place since thee gearbox was very smooth with the factory filled oil. After tolerating the hardness for 20K kms i shifted to Petronas and the gear shift smoothness is better than what it was on the factory filled oil.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks