Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:32   #136
BANNED

Re: How often should we change gear oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Can anyone update the Gear oil change interval for the Figo TDCi?
It should either be at 1,00,000 kms or for life. The manual that has the maintenance plan doesn't give any more information about the change interval.

Figo - Diesel
How often should we change gear oil?-dsc05950.jpg

Figo - Petrol
How often should we change gear oil?-dsc05950-1p.jpg

Source: Gear Heads website -- Ford-Figo-Diesel-Periodical-Maintenance-Service-plan-schedule-amp-Maintenance-Service-cost

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:38   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Can anyone update the Gear oil change interval for the Figo TDCi?
"Ford claims that the petrol fuel filter has a life of 60,000 kms (same for diesel is 30,000 kms). Timing belt change at 1,20,000 kms. Engine coolant life is 1,00,000 kms. Factory fill transmission oil will last the lifetime of the vehicle"

Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...-pictures.html
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 11:44   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
I changed the gear oil in my sx4 yesterday with Total 80w90 transtec. the problem ins 1st gear is a bit hard to engage at start up but after a period of 10 minutes it operates as earlier. cost was rs220/- per litre.
Sorry I read this a bit late, The grade for SX4 is 75-90 and you have put 80-90 which is a little thicker than 75-90. Since you posted this in December ( peak of winter) even though you are in Mumbai, the climate is a bit cooler than the normal Mumbai heat, hence the hard gear shift in the 1st gear when its cold. I would advice you to change your gear box oil to 75-90 and the hard gear shift will be gone.

Also, you will notice as the summer sets in, the gearshifts with your current gearbox oil will be smoother in 1st as it gets heated faster.
Old 22nd February 2014, 15:33   #139
Senior - BHPian

For Swift and Dzire DDIS owners: MT oil change interval has been changed by Maruti from 20,000 km/ 2 years to 40,000 km or 4 years. This is from a circular to all MASS seen by me 3 weeks ago.
Old 22nd February 2014, 16:25   #140
BANNED

Hi all,

Recently i have done 20K service (done at 23,xxx kms) for my wagon R . Service was 6th Paid service (since time runs faster than kms for my wagon). I specifically asked them to replace transmission oil (as mentioned in manual), which Service centre guys (MASS) did. I told them no topping..full bleed and replace. New transmission oil was Total 75W90, i think.
Service experience is different ball game, i will write detailed review about it.

So for Wagon R old (F10D) , gear oil change interval was 20K kms.
Old 22nd February 2014, 17:21   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
I used Shell Spirax 80W90 in my Swift K-Series even though 75W90 was recommended since it was not available. It seems 75W90 is only sold in bigger packs. Googling I found that HP, Servo have it but not sure of the package size. I have written to Fuchs regarding pack sizes. GSCaltex sells in bigg packs and I asked them to consider selling smaller packs since there is a vaccum in the market.

Looking at the article below, it seems 80W90 will work fine for us who don't live in the hills: http://gasgasrider.org/html/gear_oil_evaluation.html
I too ended up using Spirax 80W90 after giving up the futile search for the Maruti recommended 75W90. Got it changed in frong of me, and trust me, I never thought chaging transmission oil could make so much difference! The gears and the car overall became so much smoother. I seriously suspect that the service centers either use spurious oil, or just mix old oil with new or maybe just top up the old oil without draining the old oil at all and. What is more, they charge higher retail price of the Spirax bottles, though they get their shitty oil in wholesale. Whatever it is, something foul is at work, for sure., and somebody is making a killing at the expense of our transmission systems.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 18:57   #142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I too ended up using Spirax 80W90 after giving up the futile search for the Maruti recommended 75W90.
I was too tired searching for the Gear oil but went to MGP store in Hyderabad and asked for it. Got the same in a 5L pack though I used the whole thing up during the whole 1 lakh kms life of my Ritz VDi.

Have to buy again for my Swift ZDi.

Quote:
Whatever it is, something foul is at work, for sure, and somebody is making a killing at the expense of our transmission systems.
I feel they just top up and Don't replace the oil hence you got that roughness initially but now since you changed the oil it is smooth.

Anurag.
Old 22nd February 2014, 19:34   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I was too tired searching for the Gear oil but went to MGP store in Hyderabad and asked for it. Got the same in a 5L pack though I used the whole thing up during the whole 1 lakh kms life of my Ritz VDi.

Have to buy again for my Swift ZDi.

I feel they just top up and Don't replace the oil hence you got that roughness initially but now since you changed the oil it is smooth.

Anurag.
MGP store had 5L pack of 75W90? MGP branded? Manufactured by who?

After using the Spirax, I don't care what Maruti says. I'm going to stick to it. The difference it makes is too significant to be ignored. I realize other genuine oils like Total may give similar results, but don't have the time to experiment. Its been 2 years since the last change, so have to go looking for Spirax again. Hope its still easily available.
Old 22nd February 2014, 20:00   #144
BANNED

Quote:
MGP store had 5L pack of 75W90? MGP branded? Manufactured by who?
Shell Spirax 75W90 is what they have. This is 1 year old thing though. Will be going to MGP on Monday so will find out if they have one in 1L or 5L pack in stock.

Why don't you check the MGP stores in your city?

Anurag.
Old 22nd February 2014, 20:24   #145
Senior - BHPian

^^^Will check them out. Will be great if they have Spirax in that grade in 1L bottles. Do let me know if they have it there.
Old 28th October 2015, 14:24   #146
Senior - BHPian

If it is mineral oil, then gearbox fluid should be replaced once every 2 years in Indian conditions of stop & go. You will feel the extra notchiness on the gearbox or slight friction/resistance as the oil gets older. Once you change the oil, the gear will be silky smooth.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:39   #147
BHPian

The Chevy Cruze has special synthetic life long oil according the company and the service manual. Whole load of bull. The gear oil in the Chevy Cruze should be changed at 60,000km or at the max 80,000 by which time the gearbox becomes very notchy with a lot of gear grinding when changing gears. The synthetic costs a bomb but worth every rupee with butter smooth gears once the oil is changed. My car is at 1,39,000km with the original clutch assembly to this day but the gear oil changed at 80,000km and which will be changed again at 1,60,000km. As a rule of thumb for the old model Cruze change the gear oil with every timing belt change at 60,000km.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 09:07   #148
BHPian

I took my car for servicing two days back and the car is almost due for a gear oil change. Maruti A.S.S uses barrels to fill up engine oil and gear oil. They don't have any 1L, 5L packs for gear oil, they can only change and refill from their barrels. And this is what makes me a little hesitant cause we have no idea if it's the real deal or are they trying to adulterate the oils (which shouldn't be the case, but these days you just can't be sure about anything!). Also, for 2.5L gear oil the cost was coming out to 1100 bucks. I think that involves labor as well.

Does anyone know about any stores in Pune from where we can get a <5L pack of 75W90 gear oil? Or should I just go ahead with what Maruti A.S.S has to offer.
Old 11th January 2016, 09:30   #149
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Does anyone know about any stores in Pune from where we can get a <5L pack of 75W90 gear oil? Or should I just go ahead with what Maruti A.S.S has to offer.
Here in Hyderabad, oil is filed the same way taken from barrels and not individual smaller SKU's. From last 3 services I have been seeing this in my MASS.

Buying the oil in bulk is cheaper for the service centre. It isn't adulterated. They have separate barrels for mineral, semi-synthetic and synthetic.

Some newer ASC's have oil dispensing/pumping system where it automatically dispenses once the quantity required is fed into the system.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 11:21   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
I took my car for servicing two days back and the car is almost due for a gear oil change. Maruti A.S.S uses barrels to fill up engine oil and gear oil. They don't have any 1L, 5L packs for gear oil, they can only change and refill from their barrels. And this is what makes me a little hesitant cause we have no idea if it's the real deal or are they trying to adulterate the oils (which shouldn't be the case, but these days you just can't be sure about anything!). Also, for 2.5L gear oil the cost was coming out to 1100 bucks. I think that involves labor as well.

I have had a close inspection of the oil barrels at MASS (My Car and Sai Service) and the quantity filled by them. I found genuine oil and correct quantity.

You can get 75W90 oil in Nana Path. There are 2 good oil shops, right on the main road (Laxmi Road) in Nana Peth. I buy engine oil from there.

This place is at 10 min distance from my house. If you want, I can buy a can for you.
Rahul Bhalgat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed