Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2007, 11:05   #76
Senior - BHPian

Yes they are available. Ask Autopsyche about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Sadly no! But I do wonder if its available in the aftermarket and that too, in a bigger size than that of Ikon, like fiesta's? Ikon's mirrors are too small.

A
Old 13th July 2007, 11:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

What is this exterior rear view mirrors? Is that the one people fix on the side mirror & of round shape?
Old 13th July 2007, 11:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

RVM generally denotes the small mirror on the inside of the windscreen in the car cabin. The exterior word is being used for the side RVMs fitted on the either side of the car on the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
What is this exterior rear view mirrors? Is that the one people fix on the side mirror & of round shape?
Old 13th July 2007, 11:43   #79
BHPian

for me though i am used to these RVM's on both sides and with safari Dicor which comes with electrically operated RVM's, adjustment is still good..
Old 13th July 2007, 12:21   #80
BHPian

broken RVM

My left side RVM was broken twice. After that I have not replaced it. With Bnagalore traffic it is difficult to have anything jutting out of the body of the car either in back or front, or on the sides.
Old 13th July 2007, 14:47   #81
Senior - BHPian

Ravradha - For me driving is virtually impossible without the left side rear view mirror ! And I am petrified of driving anywhere near a car/driver who has his left side RVM folded in...the fellow may cut in to the left without realising you are behind him towards the left ! Without the LS RVM there is a huge rear visionless spot after the field of vision of the main/central rear view mirror (inside the vehicle) ends.
It can be a hazard especially on expressways where you have morons zipping past you from the left in a 3/4 lane dual carriage way ! Try doing a run on an expressway with the LH RVM folded you'll know what I mean ! Had an experience of the same in a friend's car which had the LH RVM broken on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway !

Last edited by Guderian : 13th July 2007 at 14:50.
Old 13th July 2007, 15:02   #82
BHPian

I am used to both ORVM's, i cant drive without it in Bangalore because you never know when a bike or an auto walla will suddenly appear from no where when you are about to take a left or a right turn.
But i have noticed that almost all cab, bus drivers never use the mirrors, wonder how they drive

By the way is it possible to fit electrically adjustable ORVM on a swift?? If yes how much would it cost??

Vijay
Old 13th July 2007, 16:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

i always open my both the RVM before starting my car
for me driving without both mirror is a big no no i have gotten to use to driving with both the mirrors open

i think the Left RVM helps me see people on bikes and scooter who try to overtake me from the wrong side and it even helps while reversing and parking
Old 13th July 2007, 23:52   #84
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
My right rear-view mirror is rattling badly. Tomorrow I plan to replace it and also fit a left RVM, for the first time in my life. My main purpose is to make use of the LRVM during high-speed lane changes on my highway drives, especially on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
Fitted new rear-view mirrors and used the LRVM on my Pune-Mumbai drive. Initially I was spending too much time looking at the LRVM, which is not at all advisable when making a quick lane change to the left (have to look out ahead as well for slow vehicles/stones in the left lane). But as I got used to the LRVM, I was in no doubt as to its utility in the Expressway. And also in heavy traffic on the Sion-Panvel highway near Sion Circle, the mirror was very useful, although I had to be extra-careful with the clearance on the left side.

One unexpected bonus: Earlier the car used to weave about a little at 120+ speeds in rainy weather, but today I tested the car at 130+ kmph in moderate rain on the Expressway; it was rock-steady and handled superbly. Is this due to the drag of the LRVM balancing out that on the right RVM? I had always felt that with 5J alloys that protrude out of the wheel well (due to 20 mm lower offset than stock), the car was not handling as well as it used to at speeds like 130+ kmph; the steering also seemed to be less precise while taking curves at these speeds than with stock wheels. But today I just didn't get that feeling, even though the speed touched 140 kmph at times on the Expressway. Need to check this out a little more; but I am already hooked on to the LRVM.

Last edited by rks : 13th July 2007 at 23:56.
Old 14th July 2007, 00:28   #85
Senior - BHPian

Can't bellieve so many folks have their left hand orvm folded. I'm scared of driving without it in place. Also I'm scared of any car that has it closed. Once a loser yellow zen nearly hit me from its left side on BN road... there was a bus between us and this maniac swerved in front of the bus and nearly hit me. The idiot had his left orvm closed.
Old 14th July 2007, 03:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
What is that? Please give details for everybody's benefit.
Blind spotters are the round fish-eye reflectors that are fitted on the bigger mirror. This is a essentially a convex mirror which gives you a wider visibility, eliminating the blind spots that most regular RVM's do not cover.
These are standard equipment on lots of cars abroad... not so much in India though.

This is a pic of an RVM with a fish-eye reflector:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...3_rearshot.jpg

I for one, am pretty uncomfortable driving without all 3 RVM's. Given the fact that 90% or more of the drivers in the city do not look around when they cut across lanes, take turns or overtake, it's up to people who use these RVM's to prevent accidents.

Last edited by razor4077 : 14th July 2007 at 03:13.
Old 15th July 2007, 00:08   #87
BHPian

hi, i learned to drive in my earlier ford ikon which had side view mirrors on both sides. now i'm so used to it that i just can't seem to drive without using the side view mirrors (left and right).

but older people who must have learned to drive in ambassadors, padminis or earlier maruti 800s doesn't bother about side view mirrors even today.

my ikons driver side view mirror broke 2 times and on both the occassions, i bought aftermarket ones. hehehehe
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:29   #88
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
One unexpected bonus: Earlier the car used to weave about a little at 120+ speeds in rainy weather, but today I tested the car at 130+ kmph in moderate rain on the Expressway; it was rock-steady and handled superbly. Is this due to the drag of the LRVM balancing out that on the right RVM?
Not sure about this. Today I thought that the top speed of the car is also affected. The car seemed to be slower by about 5+ kmph; the car reached a maximum speed of 150 kmph on the downward slope after the Kamshet tunnels towards Pune on the Expressway, but earlier (with just right RVM present) it used to hit 155-160 kmph without fail on this stretch. The car struggled to reach 140 kmph all the way to the exit toll gate near Pune, whereas it used to hit 145+ in several stretches. At the exit toll gate I closed the left RVM and sure enough the car immediately jumped to 145 kmph. And there was no weaving about either. So I need to do more checking to see what is going on here. All I know at this point is that the left RVM is surely useful.
Old 24th July 2007, 00:36   #89
Team-BHP Support

For me the left side mirror serves its purpose during tight squeezes and cuts. It also helps while reversing in a tight gully with vehicles on both sides. The farthest side (on the left) without the mirror is quite difficult to gauge, particularly when something is too close to you left rear wheel arch. The inner RVM hardly shows you anything in such cases. Its the left ORVM that helps me in making through those half inch spaces. Otherwise the IRVM is sufficient for most occassions.
Old 24th July 2007, 08:55   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Nowadays, most of the cars comes fitted with LHS rear view mirror. I'm having some simple doubts related with the Left Side Rear View mirror.

Is the Left Side Rear View mirror placed for the sole purpose that the occupant on the left side to have a rear view ?

OR is it for the driver (on the right side) to have a left side rear view when reversing the vehicle if the mirror is aligned in tune with the driver ?

Some local people are of the opinion that it's a waste of money. But in abroad the mirrors are compulsory on both the sides.

Just think it this way , Why would they place the controls of the LHS mirrors near the drivers side ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks