Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 00:16   #1306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Please ask for a replacement vehicle from them and salvage the situation.
30K is just too high a amount to lose because of somebody else's problem.
Even if they provide a replacement vehicle who would pay for the registration charges and insurance of the new car. Plus if the car is bought on loan a new loan application and down payment would have to be made as the loan cannot be transfered because of the new engine and chasis number of a new vehicle. I think it would be best to rent a car and continue with the trip.
Old 25th December 2012, 05:11   #1307
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans View Post
Even if they provide a replacement vehicle who would pay for the registration charges and insurance of the new car. Plus if the car is bought on loan a new loan application and down payment would have to be made as the loan cannot be transfered because of the new engine and chasis number of a new vehicle. I think it would be best to rent a car and continue with the trip.
No sir, that's not what I meant. While the vehicle is under repairs (especially when waiting in the service center for the part not in stock), you are entitled to get another temporary vehicle (typically a Xylo or a Innova) for that duration or Mahindras need to pay for your taxi bill (with a per-day upper limit) for those many days.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 06:04   #1308
BHPian

Quote:

SDP is right. You're well within your rights to ask for a replacement vehicle if the work is delayed because of them. Esp if you're going to have to face a loss.
Speak to the GM there, explain your situation, and ask for another car.
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 07:05   #1309
BHPian

I have been facing some difficulty in engaging 2nd gear, especially while shifting down. Recently my Gear Shifter & Selector Cable Assy was replaced under warranty. I have written about it in my ownership thread at :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2998968
Old 25th December 2012, 07:19   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I have been facing some difficulty in engaging 2nd gear, especially while shifting down. Recently my Gear Shifter & Selector Cable Assy was replaced under warranty. I have written about it in my ownership thread at :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2998968
Debuda,
I have been facing this issue right from the beginning. They 'adjusted' the clutch twice, and while the frequency of that happening has gone down, it still does happen. I think I'll insist on that replacement next time.
Incidentally how has your experience been after the replacements.?
Old 25th December 2012, 10:11   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
This is bad.. too bad. Would it not be possible to arrange another car or taxi or rent-a-car to do the trip. Why waste the money.

Believe you are in bangalore. If so which service centre are you referring to. We can also keep an eye out when we take our cars there for service.

FundaG
Well, travelling in cab is definitely and option, but none of us are prepared for that, and the last minute change is something we really didn't expect. I had taken car to service center on Saturday to see any issues that cannot rectified immediately, then I can make alternative plans. But somehow Sireesh auto garage was unable to find the issue 2 days before. As of yesterday, just by left with less than 24 hours to start, I couldn't mentally prepare myself to hire a cab and go for such a long trip. And the whole family find no fun in doing it.

Quote:
Thanks SDP. I will discuss this with the M&M and see what they think about it. But at present situation is more than the 30K loss I have to bare. Look at the bigger picture. I have already spend 16.5 lakhs and the main factor of buying decision of this car is the safety features it offered at this price and the "go anywhere abilities" M&M claimed.

Am I getting the intended return of investment? If not where is the true value for money that I thought that I am receiving from XUV? This incident might be a very small one in M&M point of view, but for me its all about trust.

The problem that I faced today is reported by many on this thread and M&M is aware of it at least for the past 4 months. I am not sure what action they have taken as an organisation to mitigate the damage. My vehicle went in for regular service one time and for running repairs 2 times in the past 2 months, there was no effort in identifying the malfunctioning parts to avoid possible damage to my life / property from M&M. Isn't that equivalent to knowingly causing harm / damage to my and fellow road users life and property?

thanks
HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 13:05   #1312
Senior - BHPian

The more I read this thread the more I am disinclined towards the XUV5OO. My friends who had booked and cancelled have gone for the Duster, while I am still looking and probably will wait for the Ecosport to be launched in Feb 13, before I finalise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans View Post
Ask for a standby vehicle to tide you over till your car is repaired. I was given a Xylo for 3 weeks while the gearbox of my Scorpio was replacd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I have been facing some difficulty in engaging 2nd gear, especially while shifting down. Recently my Gear Shifter & Selector Cable Assy was replaced under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Debuda,
I have been facing this issue right from the beginning. They 'adjusted' the clutch twice, and while the frequency of that happening has gone down, it still does happen. I think I'll insist on that replacement next time.
There is no cure for the gears issue, they may adjust, replace , tweak etc. etc. but my experience with the Scorpio for over 4 years is that you would have to live with it.
Old 25th December 2012, 13:37   #1313
BHPian

Quote:

No sir, that's not what I meant. While the vehicle is under repairs (especially when waiting in the service center for the part not in stock), you are entitled to get another temporary vehicle (typically a Xylo or a Innova) for that duration or Mahindras need to pay for your taxi bill (with a per-day upper limit) for those many days.
My mistake i misunderstood what you said.
Old 25th December 2012, 14:51   #1314

Just back after a 900km weekend drive. With this, my XUV has done 3,000+ kms in 4+ months. One service over (no complaints during service). During this trip,
* Hill Ascent Control sensor came ON for 50 kms after wading through a bumper-to-bumper 45-minute traffic at Karnataka-TN border toll gate. Warning vanished after I had stopped the car for 30 mins for breakfast
* the notorious brake grinding noise has started now. Scary noise. Looks like I need to live with this till a proper solution is found by M&M

Otherwise, the car was a breeze to drive. I stuck to 100-120 kms and thoroughly enjoyed driving. Felt confident, secure and relaxed inside. Car handled the curves (I returned via Dhimbam Ghat-ChamrajNagar) well.
knsivakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 15:35   #1315
BHPian

I had sent my XUV story to customer support VP and Passenger vehicle President over email last evening. While there is no reply to the mail, received a call at the morning from regional manager and he said they are working on my car and make sure that it is in order before delivering it back. He also offered me an automatic Scorpio until my car is back. I have given my feedback about the way M&M handling the issues in XUV.

While I see they would work on my car with such high level of escalations, the point I tried conveying to the M&M officials is simple:
Known issues should be resolved by recalling the cars in an organized manner. Waiting until a breakdown / accident is completely unethical and M&M should not look at short term benefits like saving repair cost etc due to it. They can ask the supplier for paying up the damage caused by the sub standard parts supplied to them. All automobile manufacturers have done it in the past and it will only boost the public confidence in M&M by doing it. The manager said he will take this feedback to the right folks. I hope he will indeed do it.

After few hours the Scorpio arrived, it seems to be in good condition, though, somehow none of us have the mood of going anywhere.

thanks
HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 25th December 2012 at 15:41.
Old 25th December 2012, 17:24   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Well, travelling in cab is definitely and option, but none of us are prepared for that, and the last minute change is something we really didn't expect. I had taken car to service center on Saturday to see any issues that cannot rectified immediately, then I can make alternative plans. But somehow Sireesh auto garage was unable to find the issue 2 days before. As of yesterday, just by left with less than 24 hours to start, I couldn't mentally prepare myself to hire a cab and go for such a long trip. And the whole family find no fun in doing it.

Thanks SDP. I will discuss this with the M&M and see what they think about it. But at present situation is more than the 30K loss I have to bare. Look at the bigger picture. I have already spend 16.5 lakhs and the main factor of buying decision of this car is the safety features it offered at this price and the "go anywhere abilities" M&M claimed.

Am I getting the intended return of investment? If not where is the true value for money that I thought that I am receiving from XUV? This incident might be a very small one in M&M point of view, but for me its all about trust.

The problem that I faced today is reported by many on this thread and M&M is aware of it at least for the past 4 months. I am not sure what action they have taken as an organisation to mitigate the damage. My vehicle went in for regular service one time and for running repairs 2 times in the past 2 months, there was no effort in identifying the malfunctioning parts to avoid possible damage to my life / property from M&M. Isn't that equivalent to knowingly causing harm / damage to my and fellow road users life and property?

thanks
HCP

HCP, i very well understand the mental state you are in from your post. I am sure all the members of TBHP are avid fans of cars and enjoy driving to the hilt. A trip for us is more than just the destination and the facilities there, but the drive to the place and that too in our own car, especially a car like XUV500. Sitting here I too can preach, but in a similar situation I too would have been depressed and tearing my hair out. But lets look at this another way. Had you got stuck midway during the trip or somewhere with very little help possible, situations would have been worse. Atleast, right now everyone is safe on that regards.

Coming to XUV500, am sure we all purchased this vehicle with some levels of expectations and ready for some amount of compromises. There were and are SUV options available from Japanese, European and american car makers. But we all opted for this vehicle from Mahindra for its VFM, features for this cost and looks. We would never get a car with all these features in this price bracket. Vehicles like Duster are infact not in the same league as XUV or fortuner, neither in terms or power, features, space etc. Being a mechanical device, all these vehicles are prone to some failure or the other. Fortuner, a 20+ Lac car has got brake issues and Toyota being an international car maker has not been able to get it sorted out as far as I know. Atleast Mahindra is trying something pro-actively for all the niggles.

I also have faced some issues with my cars from japanese and european manufacturers at critical moments, but then its a one off situation. And I am sure with your XUV the current issue is also something on the same lines.

Finally, let me confirm that I am not siding with Mahindra or the dealers. Being a owner, I am with you and might also face some issue like this at some point of time. Frankly, I too am not comfortable or satisfied with the the car on the whole be it the brakes or even the power steering. My arms and shoulders feels a strain using the power steering and will ask the service centre to get it checked the next time am there. We re all in this forum to bring up such issues for everyones info so that we all can get it resorted one way or other.

Anyway, whats happened has happened. My suggestion would have been that you should have continued with the trip. Though it might not have turned out exactly the way you wanted without the XUV, you would still have had some good experiences and taken your mind off this issue as such. Sitting at home thinking of the car and the lost money will make things further worse. Just my observation.

Maybe it is the mindset that the car maker is Mahindra, an indian car maker who does not have very good background in building cars like XUV or maybe it is such forums which points out each and every small niggle, that is making us look at the entire car in a negative manner.Anyway lets all hope for the best now that we have spent our hard earned money and not regret the decision on the long run.

Wow that is a long post.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 17:28   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Debuda,

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
There is no cure for the gears issue, they may adjust, replace , tweak etc. etc. but my experience with the Scorpio for over 4 years is that you would have to live with it.
KaiserKetkar : After the replacement of the two cables, 2nd gear engagement appears to be a little better. All other gears have been butter-smooth from the beginning. I shall have the opportunity to try out the 2nd gear extensively during my forthcoming drive to Sikkim.

M_Upreti : You may have a point here. But I would suggest that you test drive a XUV to check out its transmission. Probably you'll find the gears much smoother as compared to Scorpio.
Old 25th December 2012, 22:53   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
I think we are both on the same page. First turn should kill the engine, but the electric devices should be working. This is the ACC state. But in my case right now, both the engine and electric devices turn off in this state. One more turn and its in OFF state and then you can pull out the key. If I remember this was working fine earlier. Am not sure if this got anything to do with the software update or even if it has any relation as such with the software. Any one facing similar issue.

FundaG
Anyone got any updates for this problem. I noticed one more thing. The infotainment system works in the ACC state during the engine start process. However, it switches off when I switch off the engine. I am right now using the auto Start/Stop feature so that I dont have to switch off the engine while parking and to keep continue using the infotainment system without a break. Planning to take it to the service centre tomorrow to check it out .

FundaG
Old 25th December 2012, 23:54   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
HCP, i very well understand the mental state you are in from your post. I am sure all the members of TBHP are avid fans of cars and enjoy driving to the hilt. A trip for us is more than just the destination and the facilities there, but the drive to the place and that too in our own car, especially a car like XUV500. Sitting here I too can preach, but in a similar situation I too would have been depressed and tearing my hair out. But lets look at this another way. Had you got stuck midway during the trip or somewhere with very little help possible, situations would have been worse. Atleast, right now everyone is safe on that regards.

Coming to XUV500, am sure we all purchased this vehicle with some levels of expectations and ready for some amount of compromises. There were and are SUV options available from Japanese, European and american car makers. But we all opted for this vehicle from Mahindra for its VFM, features for this cost and looks. We would never get a car with all these features in this price bracket. Vehicles like Duster are infact not in the same league as XUV or fortuner, neither in terms or power, features, space etc. Being a mechanical device, all these vehicles are prone to some failure or the other. Fortuner, a 20+ Lac car has got brake issues and Toyota being an international car maker has not been able to get it sorted out as far as I know. Atleast Mahindra is trying something pro-actively for all the niggles.

I also have faced some issues with my cars from japanese and european manufacturers at critical moments, but then its a one off situation. And I am sure with your XUV the current issue is also something on the same lines.

Finally, let me confirm that I am not siding with Mahindra or the dealers. Being a owner, I am with you and might also face some issue like this at some point of time. Frankly, I too am not comfortable or satisfied with the the car on the whole be it the brakes or even the power steering. My arms and shoulders feels a strain using the power steering and will ask the service centre to get it checked the next time am there. We re all in this forum to bring up such issues for everyones info so that we all can get it resorted one way or other.

Anyway, whats happened has happened. My suggestion would have been that you should have continued with the trip. Though it might not have turned out exactly the way you wanted without the XUV, you would still have had some good experiences and taken your mind off this issue as such. Sitting at home thinking of the car and the lost money will make things further worse. Just my observation.

Maybe it is the mindset that the car maker is Mahindra, an indian car maker who does not have very good background in building cars like XUV or maybe it is such forums which points out each and every small niggle, that is making us look at the entire car in a negative manner.Anyway lets all hope for the best now that we have spent our hard earned money and not regret the decision on the long run.

Wow that is a long post.

FundaG
I completely agree with you about the situation would have been much worse in case I would have started the trip and get stuck at the middle. I would have been just OK if my car breakdown was due to one off case where some components failed. It can happen with any car including Bemmers and Mercs. The issues that I am quoting here is not something qualified to be called "small". Problems like clutch failures and brake issues are not a myth. We have many fellow members here who posted about it on this thread.

The point here is, there is no proactive action from M&M to notify possible issues with the car in such occurrences. For example see the below links, all are about recalls by major players in India:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/t.../1/224252.html

http://boseindia.com/support/?utm_so...FQYb6wodA2UAxQ

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...recall/448229/

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...reek-hatchback

I don't see a similar pro-active action from M&M for the critical parts issues such as Clutch failures, brake issues and power steering failures. Another option, the car was in regular service within last month, they could have replaced the part without risking someone's life, but that was not done.

While I am really happy with the way M&M handling my complaint, as an Indian I would want to see M&M at global standards and winning success across the globe. For that they need to step up their after sales department from reactive to proactive in nature in my opinion. They should focus on long term benefits and customer satisfaction rather than waiting until a brake down and then fixing it.

Sorry if I sounded XUV basher, I love my car, its still the best one I can afford, I really like the people to whom I interacted with within M&M, they are really professional and have a nice attitude towards customers.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 26th December 2012 at 00:06.
Old 26th December 2012, 00:13   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post

The point here is, there is no proactive action from M&M to notify possible issues with the car in such occurrences. For example see the below links, all are about recalls by major players in India:

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/t.../1/224252.html

http://boseindia.com/support/?utm_so...FQYb6wodA2UAxQ

http://www.business-standard.com/ind...recall/448229/

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...reek-hatchback

I don't see a similar pro-active action from M&M for the critical parts issues such as Clutch failures, brake issues and power steering failures.
Completely agree with your point. Believe Mahindra should also do a recall for such major complaints. Maybe they are not doing so could be because they are new out here in such a segment. The others like Toyota, Honda etc are international car makers and been in market for so long.Hence such recalls will not tarnish their image like how it would do for Mahindra for its flagship product. Such a recall news for XUV in a leading newspaper would just send the wrong message to all their potential customers. Might be the reason they are waiting for us customers to approach them and get it sorted out as discretely as possible.

Anyway as I mentioned earlier, lets all hope for the best for our cheetahs

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks