Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 14:10   #1291
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi all,
..3. A thak-thak noise on the front suspension. I cannot hear it in the car when the windows are closed or if we are in a crowded road. But i can clearly hear it when i am in a silent place like a parking lot with the windows down. This noise is present at all times. It is actually like a pebble is inside the metal portion of your wheel and keeps getting jostled around while the car is moving. But the funny thing is i can hear in on both the sides of the car.
Quite a lot of us have experienced it one time or the other. The pebbles stuck in the tyre grooves are the culprit. Please check for those and dislodge them. If you still have the same issue, a visit to A.S.S. is needed. For very faint noises, even they struggle to isolate the problem and apply generic solutions like:
1. Change the bushes of the front balancer-bar
2. Re-torque the suspension (which basically means tighten the nuts and bolts).

Quote:
Point 3 is worrying me. I was planning to drive to kerala with the car today but cancelled the plan due to this noise. I need to go to the SA and get to the bottom of this issue. I had heard many people raise this complaint in the earlier posts but no one has raised it recently. If any other owner has seen this issue please let me know.
You cancelled a long-drive for a noise from the front suspension? Are you sure you are not overreacting?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:15   #1292
BHPian

Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions - HID help in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Actually Gerard if you're getting hids on the low beam that should be good enuf. The parallel beam is as it is quite powerful so you don't really need to upsize it. If you want to however, simply changing to a higher wattage halogen should be good enuf.
Well- Since I'm i Surat more often than not I tried getting the HID conversion- However I was unable to get the correct bulb -H7 type.
So Now I need to know from the Mumbai guys where have they got it done. I don't want someone unfamiliar with the system messing around the wiring.

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 21st December 2012 at 14:17.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:40   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Quite a lot of us have experienced it one time or the other. The pebbles stuck in the tyre grooves are the culprit. Please check for those and dislodge them. If you still have the same issue, a visit to A.S.S. is needed. For very faint noises, even they struggle to isolate the problem and apply generic solutions like:
1. Change the bushes of the front balancer-bar
2. Re-torque the suspension (which basically means tighten the nuts and bolts).

You cancelled a long-drive for a noise from the front suspension? Are you sure you are not overreacting?
I am travelling with my 2 yr old. Did not want to take a risk. Also Now ive told my better half about the issue. She is even more Paranoid now

let me try your solution and update.

Edit: Just tried removing all the stones still have this issue. Now I am beginning to geel it is due to the plastic covering the steel wheel. need to take it off and try driving. will update once i get to the bottom of the issue.

Last edited by gandalf : 21st December 2012 at 15:08.
Old 21st December 2012, 17:56   #1294
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am travelling with my 2 yr old. Did not want to take a risk. Also Now ive told my better half about the issue. She is even more Paranoid now

let me try your solution and update.

Edit: Just tried removing all the stones still have this issue. Now I am beginning to geel it is due to the plastic covering the steel wheel. need to take it off and try driving. will update once i get to the bottom of the issue.
Sorry for not understanding your situation earlier. With a 2 year old, even I won't take any chances.

What I would still suggest is that don't let it bother you too much. It might make a bit of noise and cause irritation and all, but the possibility of complete mechanical failure of a suspension part is very less. Hydrolics, electricals and sensors are a different ballgame alltogether, and luckily Mahindras are getting better with those with every new batch.

Do let us know if the wheel-caps removal solved the problem.

EDIT: Forgot to congratulate you for owning the beast! Congratulations. Have fun.

Last edited by SDP : 21st December 2012 at 18:01.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 11:00   #1295
BHPian

Looks like luck is on my side today.

Just came to service station to change engine oil at 8 k as the first oil change happened at 1000 kms due to schedule. And guess what; when they opened the bottom engine cover found the notorious power steering oil leak in my car. The RM promptly attended it and repair is progressing while I am writing this.
The funny thing is just two days before I had visited the service station complained of spongy brake, had asked the technician to check for leak in power steering. That time they said there is no leak. Wondering how a leak developed in within two days and less than 30 kms of drive.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 14:11   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Incidentally, while on that topic, you can set the stereo so that as speed increases, it automatically adjusts the volume upwards to sound the same over the road noise.
I think its called AVC (auto volume control) or something. Will check tomorrow and tell you. One more 'auto' among the myriad of 'auto's
Wow that is cool. I had read about the auto volume control earlier also. But could not figure out how to do it. Pls provide the steps how it can be activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Well- Since I'm i Surat more often than not I tried getting the HID conversion- However I was unable to get the correct bulb -H7 type.
So Now I need to know from the Mumbai guys where have they got it done. I don't want someone unfamiliar with the system messing around the wiring.
I also want to change my low beam bulbs with HID. Since it already has projector setup, the bulbs alone needs to be replaced right? Also is it possible to replace the parking lights (led strip) alone with better LEDs. It dosent actually function as DRL, as it is meant to be just parking lights. Still, when you see other bigger and even smaller cars running around with the DRL's switched on and standing out even in bright day light, wish the LED's on the XUV also was good enough.

So can both the low beam and LED bulbs changed without voiding the warranty or any extra wiring.

FundaG
Old 24th December 2012, 14:35   #1297
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
I also want to change my low beam bulbs with HID. Since it already has projector setup, the bulbs alone needs to be replaced right?...
I am no expert in this area, but I do believe that it is more than replacement of a blub. Wiring changes would most likely be needed.

Quote:
Also is it possible to replace the parking lights (led strip) alone with better LEDs. It dosent actually function as DRL, as it is meant to be just parking lights. Still, when you see other bigger and even smaller cars running around with the DRL's switched on and standing out even in bright day light, wish the LED's on the XUV also was good enough.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Even the cheaper Force-One has brighter LEDs than the XUV5OO. I wish, Mahindras would have provided something that was more functional rather than just cosmetic.

The LEDs in current XUV5OO are integrated with the headlight unit. So changing them is not really an option (unless you are ready to open the sealed headlight assembly).

Recently I saw one XUV in Mumbai, which had aftermarket DRLs installed in the lower whiskers (areas marked by red circles in the image below).
That's quite a innovative position for installing LED DRLs. The gap is just about of perfect size and the overall result was quite neat.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-mahindraxuv500foraustralia2.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 24th December 2012 at 14:37.
Old 24th December 2012, 15:59   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Wow that is cool. I had read about the auto volume control earlier also. But could not figure out how to do it. Pls provide the steps how it can be activated.
FundaG
In the settings, tap on "Sound" and there just above the "Volume" & "Equaliser" buttons, there the AVC option.
When selected, the volume is adjusted according to the car speed, but the volume changes aren't shown on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The LEDs in current XUV5OO are integrated with the headlight unit. So changing them is not really an option (unless you are ready to open the sealed headlight assembly).
Not only is it a sealed unit, there's no option to change the LEDs even if one or two conk off.
In case of a malfunctioning LED, either you live with it, or you get the WHOLE headlight assembly changed!
kaiserketkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 19:06   #1299
BHPian

I am facing an issue with the way the battery in switched on and off. There are four modes for the key - Lock, Acc, On and Start. My understanding was all the electrical and electronic systems like music systems, mobile recharging etc work in Acc mode. But it dosent seem to. The systems come to life only when the key is turned to ON state.
But here the difficulty I face is when I have to switch off the engine. When I switch off the engine the keys goes into ACC state and all the systems get turned off. And then I have to turn it back into ON state to restart the systems including the infotainment system.

So if I park the car somewhere and want to continue listening to music with the engine switched off, I have to switch off the engine (which switches off everything) and turn the key back to ON state for the infotainment to restart again. I dont think this is right, since in my previous cars, one can turn the key to the ACC state to switch off the engine but continue using the electrical/electronic systems on batteries, without a break. So is this a niggle faced by just me or is it a common problem across XUV?

BTW the manual says in ACC state- "The steering wheel in unlocked and activates the electrical accessories". Which I assume is the infotainment system, mobile recharging points etc.

FundaG
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-20121224-18.12.57.jpg  

Old 24th December 2012, 19:48   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
I am facing an issue with the way the battery in switched on and off. There are four modes for the key - Lock, Acc, On and Start. My understanding was all the electrical and electronic systems like music systems, mobile recharging etc work in Acc mode. But it dosent seem to. The systems come to life only when the key is turned to ON state.
But here the difficulty I face is when I have to switch off the engine. When I switch off the engine the keys goes into ACC state and all the systems get turned off. And then I have to turn it back into ON state to restart the systems including the infotainment system.

So if I park the car somewhere and want to continue listening to music with the engine switched off, I have to switch off the engine (which switches off everything) and turn the key back to ON state for the infotainment to restart again. I dont think this is right, since in my previous cars, one can turn the key to the ACC state to switch off the engine but continue using the electrical/electronic systems on batteries, without a break. So is this a niggle faced by just me or is it a common problem across XUV?

BTW the manual says in ACC state- "The steering wheel in unlocked and activates the electrical accessories". Which I assume is the infotainment system, mobile recharging points etc.

FundaG
That is indeed how it is. Just like other cars. When I switch off the car, with the first turn of the key, it kills the engine. The electric functionality continues. Then with the second turn of the key, it turns off the electric devices. And finally with the pulling out of the key it switches on the headlight.
Old 24th December 2012, 19:59   #1301
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So if I park the car somewhere and want to continue listening to music with the engine switched off, I have to switch off the engine (which switches off everything) and turn the key back to ON state for the infotainment to restart again. I dont think this is right, ...
I don't think this is how it happens. On first turn, the engine gets killed, but Infortainment system, continues to work. I remember this distinctly as I pause my bluetooth music explicitly after turning off the engine.

Would check again.
Old 24th December 2012, 20:45   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar

That is indeed how it is. Just like other cars. When I switch off the car, with the first turn of the key, it kills the engine. The electric functionality continues. Then with the second turn of the key, it turns off the electric devices. And finally with the pulling out of the key it switches on the headlight.
I think we are both on the same page. First turn should kill the engine, but the electric devices should be working. This is the ACC state. But in my case right now, both the engine and electric devices turn off in this state. One more turn and its in OFF state and then you can pull out the key. If I remember this was working fine earlier. Am not sure if this got anything to do with the software update or even if it has any relation as such with the software. Any one facing similar issue.

FundaG
Old 24th December 2012, 21:54   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Looks like luck is on my side today.

Just came to service station to change engine oil at 8 k as the first oil change happened at 1000 kms due to schedule. And guess what; when they opened the bottom engine cover found the notorious power steering oil leak in my car. The RM promptly attended it and repair is progressing while I am writing this.
The funny thing is just two days before I had visited the service station complained of spongy brake, had asked the technician to check for leak in power steering. That time they said there is no leak. Wondering how a leak developed in within two days and less than 30 kms of drive.
M&M gave me the new year party. Due to unavailability of parts I could not get the car today. The power steering pipe is ordered and will reach only on Saturday. Until then vehicle will be in workshop.

I have to cancel my year end trip that I am supposed to start by tomorrow early morning. Will be loosing around 30 K hotel booking amount

What surprised me is the way they tried fixing the issue. when I just peeped into see what is happening, to my horror the technician was trying to fix the leak by winding an insulation tape on the thread of the pipe. the tape is the same white sleeve we use in plumping. I never seen such shoddy jugaad inside an authorised workshop. Now really scared to repair it there.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 24th December 2012 at 21:58.
Old 24th December 2012, 22:41   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
M&M gave me the new year party. Due to unavailability of parts I could not get the car today. The power steering pipe is ordered and will reach only on Saturday. Until then vehicle will be in workshop.

I have to cancel my year end trip that I am supposed to start by tomorrow early morning. Will be loosing around 30 K hotel booking amount

What surprised me is the way they tried fixing the issue. when I just peeped into see what is happening, to my horror the technician was trying to fix the leak by winding an insulation tape on the thread of the pipe. the tape is the same white sleeve we use in plumping. I never seen such shoddy jugaad inside an authorised workshop. Now really scared to repair it there.
This is bad.. too bad. Would it not be possible to arrange another car or taxi or rent-a-car to do the trip. Why waste the money.

Believe you are in bangalore. If so which service centre are you referring to. We can also keep an eye out when we take our cars there for service.

FundaG
Old 24th December 2012, 22:57   #1305
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please ask for a replacement vehicle from them and salvage the situation.
30K is just too high a amount to lose because of somebody else's problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks