Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 11:58   #1216
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
+1 to that.
It pays to buildup a good rapport with the guys at the ASC, as has happened with my Scorpio first and my XUV subsequently at Sahyadri. As a result I have got much better service than I would have had I dialed my corporators no. There are still occasions when the service takes longer than expected, but that isn't due to inefficiency or callousness.
From the service advisors point if view, he would want to do a good job for a customer who is good to him.
I have had the dubious distinction of having to escalate my every visit to the A.S.S. to M&M customer care and management since my Scorpio was plagued with issues for the first 2 years of its life. Then an excellent M&M Regional Manager (now no longer with M&M) with some amount of influence from one of our Sr. BHPIans took up the task of rebuilding my vehicle part by part to bring it to the acceptable levels of performance.

On my 20K servicing visit I reached the A.S.S. almost half an hour early (first in the morning) and a particular service advisor promptly attended to me even though they open officially at 9 AM. This SA attended to the vehicle with personal attention and for the first time all the listed issues were taken care and the billing was proper and some amounts of freebies thrown in. Now whenever I need to have my car atteded to, I speak to him and get the same quality of service (an excellent sales person also, his smile and services ends up in getting me buy additional services which I may have skipped otherwise)
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 14:42   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is a clear issue of the car losing power because by the time you shifted to 3rd gear from second, the engine rpm had dropped below the range that the turbo spools, hence the vehicle felt powerless. Moreovier, since you were on a slope, the situation only worsened.

It all about keeping the engine in its power band or the 1800-2300 range.
Practice some more driving on the ghats with your cheetah and you will get the knack of doing it.

There is NO issue with your XUV, relax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Dev,

I have shifted up at 2000rpm on occasions without any such problem.
I would think there's some problem with the clutch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzr77k View Post
Agreed... Its most likely a matter of timing the gear shifts correctly while shifting fast enough while on slopes...

For both of these, more driving experience in the same car and understanding its power distribution would help a lot

I had completed a 1500+kms round trip from bangalore to trivandrum. ANd never experienced the power loss issue at any time during the trip. However, there was no steep slopes or hairpin curves. Initially, I also suspected the clutch, but then it would be persistent problem on any terrain. I faced it only during the climb up to Ooty and that too during the final stages. As dev and bzr suggested, could be more with understanding the power distribution of the vehicle. By any chance will Cheetah's also face asthma problems due to the cold air up the mountain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post

I have used Sandisk Cruze 16 GB and now a 32 GB hp drives.
Am using kingston 8gb drive with ~50% full. No hiccups so far. Had gone for some long drives with music all the way and never faced any similar issue.

Finally did the first service of my XUV @ 6500kms (3 months) at TVS, trivandrum. Due to all the travelling in between and not getting an appointment till Dec 1st in bangalore, decided to get it over while I was in TVM. The car was returned within a day, exactly 6hrs. The issues were the general ones
  1. Brakes : They havent got the new kit, hence not replaced
  2. Gear shift slotting issues : Not sorted out as expected. The technician had acknowledged the problem and said it would improve with some more running. Am not buying this and would be showing it at Bangalore service centre
  3. Kat-kat noise when accelerating : For some reason this noise was no more heard from the time I was driving to the service centre. Though I mentioned it to the RM, could not reproduce the same.
  4. Mist in the headlight : Again no headlight unit was available, hence will have to get it replaced at bangalore
  5. Pulling to the left side : Tire rotation was done as well as some adjustment. Wheel alignment was not done as they did not have the machine. Its better now, though not fully satisfactory as there is a very slight pull towards the right. Did a wheel alignment outside but it still is not perfect.
  6. Suspension noise : Again something was done. I could hear a mild psss-pss noise everytime i went over a hump the next day. However drove all the way from trivandrum to bangalore and no more hearing it. Have to give some ear to it again when its silent all around and there is a hump.
  7. Steering tightness : The RM was saying it was an occasional problem and they have made some adjustments. It feels better now, but yet it gives some strain to the arms especially when driving with a single hand.

Overall expense 1950Rs for oil change and filter. Had enquired about the extended 3rd year warranty. THe RM mentioned it was currently provided only to some batches of the car and he will however enquire about it. Mine is July 2013 make. So anyone got some news on this.

Thinking of visiting Sireesh, Marthahalli this Saturday to see if I can get the new brakes as well as some of the other issues resolved to my satisfaction.

FundaG
Old 28th November 2012, 17:36   #1218
BHPian

Today a Nippon guy visited my home and replaced the HU with a brand new one. Hope issues will be fixed with that. I have not driven the car after that. The guy who visited was very polite and not over confident. He asked to check for 2 days and let them know if there is any problem.

Thanks
--HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 18:06   #1219
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Today a Nippon guy visited my home and replaced the HU with a brand new one. Hope issues will be fixed with that. I have not driven the car after that. The guy who visited was very polite and not over confident. He asked to check for 2 days and let them know if there is any problem.

Thanks
--HCP
What were some of the problems that you were facing that could not be fixed by flashing the software?
Old 29th November 2012, 17:56   #1220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redindian View Post
After nearly 3 months of ownership - I experienced the "Service Levels" today for the first time - remember Manson's review report where he had called out "Mahindra's un-premium after-sales service experience " as a key con, it definitely is!
A quick update

I sent an email feedback to customer care and they promptly put me in touch with a customer care manager for bangalore.

He called me promptly and gave me a patient hearing and acknowledged that

- there is server labour shortage ( compared to demand) in Blr ( due to one dealer shutting down) and said there is a batch of technical reps getting trained who will become available from Dec 1st - so situation should improve
- He offered to transfer my RM / Service center to the new "Anant Cars" that has started in place of SKS ( and is within 2 KM from my residence) for easier access
- Did a conference call with the RM to understand if they are on track to fix all issues and deliver by next day
- RM had said they dont have stock of new brake pads, so can't replace in this service. This guy offered to send a new set to the RM so he can change that as well
- Asked him to arrange for vehicle drop off along with the technical guy so that I can do a test drive with the tech person and confirm if all issues are fixed

I got my car a few hours back ( 4th day as promised )
- All issues were fixed , vehicle definitely felt a lot more smoother and quieter
- Wiper , Brakes and rattling have all been fixed to 100% satisfaction

Net-Net : Its quite sad that they will take a lot of time till manpower situation improves , but they do a good job & give a patient hearing and escalation got me the "out of stock" brake pads for replacement.

Also - dont think the customer facilities at the service center are going to improve in the short term, Mahindra doesn't seem to be even acknowledging this as an issue.

In contrast, Kalyani Motors ( Maruti service center in Bannerghatta road ) has a great service area, excellent customer lounges, wifi, and more!
Old 29th November 2012, 18:19   #1221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A quick update...
See... my point exactly. They are definitely doing something right. A company that listens, takes the pain to assign you a company functionary to go through with you on your pain areas and get others pulled in for an immediate resolution to all the open issues is definitely on the right track. This is almost 1x1 attention if you are dissatisfied.

Quote:
Also - dont think the customer facilities at the service center are going to improve in the short term, Mahindra doesn't seem to be even acknowledging this as an issue.

In contrast, Kalyani Motors ( Maruti service center in Bannerghatta road ) has a great service area, excellent customer lounges, wifi, and more!
It will take time. Do not forget before this the only serious stake they had in the real passenger car market was through Scorpio. Now with the follow on success with XUV they have started thinking how to catch up on these aspects as well. Yes, this will take time but something is definitely happening as I see it (with my dealership, I see that they have already started segregating customers and distributing them between separate branches).
Old 29th November 2012, 18:35   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
I had completed a 1500+kms round trip from bangalore to trivandrum. ANd never experienced the power loss issue at any time during the trip. However, there was no steep slopes or hairpin curves. Initially, I also suspected the clutch, but then it would be persistent problem on any terrain. I faced it only during the climb up to Ooty and that too during the final stages. As dev and bzr suggested, could be more with understanding the power distribution of the vehicle. By any chance will Cheetah's also face asthma problems due to the cold air up the mountain..

Am using kingston 8gb drive with ~50% full. No hiccups so far. Had gone for some long drives with music all the way and never faced any similar issue.

FundaG
I thought of responding to this when I read that for the first time, I havent really faced the power loss during my 7K drive where the most challenging was about 1.5K - 2K kms in Uttarkhand, Himalaya mountains.

I guess we are referring to the last, straight stretch of the 36 hairpin band from Masinagudi side (with speedbreakers at regular intervals in downward direction).
One has to be in second gear on a capacity like XUV and other small vehicles may have to switch to 1st sometimes during that stretch. I have not yet travelled that stretch with XUV, but this is my best guess based on my drives/rides so far to Ooty from that direction. I'm not saying someone cannoth drive that in 3rd gear, but we are talking about normal vehicles and drivers. Unless you have more than enough momentum when you start that stretch, I dont think you can up-shift, which will bring down your RPM and vehicle may feel low on power. So, it may be more of understanding the vehicle and its capabilities over the period of time and less of vehicle tuning/behavior! IMO.

I have been using 16GB pen drive, about 90% filled without any issues for 5 months now. No issues playing music from any corner of the media I have had 2 instances when it didnt recognize media but the re-inserting fixed it. I'm ok with that tolerance level.

Last edited by Ketan : 29th November 2012 at 18:37.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 04:21   #1223
BHPian

You know what is the most bugging thing?
Alright, maybe not the MOST, but it's quite irritating. The trip meter can go only upto 1000kms!
Even the Scorpio had a 2000km trip meter!
Is this Mahindra's way of telling us not to drive it too much at a time?
Old 1st December 2012, 13:02   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yes, this will take time but something is definitely happening as I see it (with my dealership, I see that they have already started segregating customers and distributing them between separate branches).
I agree with this assessment. Where I live in Coimbatore, there was only one service center for all Mahindra vehicles and there was severe delays for even minor service. Now, all Bolero/Thar range has been moved to another facility, leaving the main facility for Scorpio/XUV/Xylo etc. They are also in the process of identifying a Second dealer. The truth of the matter is that it will take between 1 to 2 years to identify a new dealer and for the dealer to set up a workshop/dealership.
Old 1st December 2012, 15:19   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have been using 16GB pen drive, about 90% filled without any issues for 5 months now. No issues playing music from any corner of the media I have had 2 instances when it didnt recognize media but the re-inserting fixed it. I'm ok with that tolerance level.
Thanks Ketan. an update of this issue is, the very next day Nippon service engineer came home and replaced the HU (silver box as they call it).
Voila, its 4 days past, the issue didnt haunt me again till now. Once again, M&M made a very good customer experience. Lovin this brand. M&M rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I notice it at low speeds in first 3 gears. After that the engine and tyre noise tends to hide that tuk-tuk sound. But I have a hunch that it is present at all speeds, just more noticeable at low speeds.
Which tires do you have? If its the JK one, there is a chance that a lot of small pebbles get stuck to the tire grews and when it touches the ground you will hear noise. It happend with mine.
Thanks
--HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 1st December 2012 at 15:33.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 16:10   #1226
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ketan. an update of this issue is, the very next day Nippon service engineer came home and replaced the HU (silver box as they call it).
Voila, its 4 days past, the issue didnt haunt me again till now. Once again, M&M made a very good customer experience. Lovin this brand. M&M rock!

Which tires do you have? If its the JK one, there is a chance that a lot of small pebbles get stuck to the tire grews and when it touches the ground you will hear noise. It happend with mine.
Thanks
--HCP
Hey, that's a very good point HCP! I actually have a good number of pebbles stuck in my tyres and I have not really paid attention to them yet. Let me take them off and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again!

Last edited by SDP : 1st December 2012 at 16:12.
Old 1st December 2012, 19:56   #1227
BHPian

After the tire rotation was done during the first service the tpms keeps showing the pressure on the left front tyre is low. Have tried filling air a couple of times, but still the warning keeps popping up once in a while. At times the warning is displayed on starting the car and after a few kms, it becomes normal again.

FundaG
Old 1st December 2012, 21:43   #1228
Team-BHP Support

Guys are you aware of any emergency flashing happening at your dealer and what it is about? I got a call today for an appointment tomorrow on a Sunday to come over for an emergency flash ops they are doing. Looks like my dealers main techno guy, Majid, is himself going to supervise this and will be there even though it's a Sunday! Don't know what came up so urgently as they did not do it till this Wednesday when the vehicle was there with them for 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Hey, that's a very good point HCP! I actually have a good number of pebbles stuck in my tyres and I have not really paid attention to them yet. Let me take them off and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks again!
Ok, my bad that I missed you guys wondering over the kat kat noise. HCP is right. It's not just in acceleration but stays all the while and it's those damn pebbles and stone chips stuck in the tyres. You want to check this out even better? Drive next to a wall, like a raised divider or below a flyover at the start of it or where it comes down and meets the road below. Drive at a constant forty kmph and keep the window down. The kat kat sound that bounces back from the walls will simply freak you out unless you know the reason.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st December 2012 at 21:48.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:23   #1229
Team-BHP Support

Turns out the flashing was to add something they call eManual. It's a video based tutorial for all the major features cataloged as any online help. However it may have also introduced a bug with the reverse cam. Today while I was reversing to park in a tight space had a tough time as the screen split itself into two halves. The top one was showing the usual distance grid and all while the bottom part was showing some of the missing part of the top half in a more zoomed in view. The problem vanished after the vehicle was restarted. Will have to see if it shows up again.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd December 2012 at 00:27.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 06:32   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Turns out the flashing was to add something they call eManual. It's a video based tutorial for all the major features cataloged as any online help. However it may have also introduced a bug with the reverse cam. Today while I was reversing to park in a tight space had a tough time as the screen split itself into two halves. The top one was showing the usual distance grid and all while the bottom part was showing some of the missing part of the top half in a more zoomed in view. The problem vanished after the vehicle was restarted. Will have to see if it shows up again.
That (split screen) I've had a couple of times before. This may not be a bug from the flashing. Did resolve mostly by simply bringing in neutral and the switching back to reverse. Once however it didn't, but was behaving itself when I restarted the car later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks