Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:15   #1186
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
it doesn't matter how the 3rd row seats are. the position of this seat stays this way.
incidentally how will the 3rd row seat position affect this?
I think it is something to do with the forward movement of the rear bench when it is strapped up. I will take some pictures and post to show you the difference.
Old 22nd November 2012, 14:01   #1187
BHPian

Quote:

what is clay+wax?
Claying is done after wash to remove any contaminants stuck on the surface. It is done by rubbing a clay like substance on the body to collect any small particles. when I had taken the delivery, the surace did not seem smooth at many places. There was lot of dirt that gets accumulated on the surface during transport and in the yard. Normal washing wont remove it. This dirt in the long term will affect the longevity of the paint. Hence I had already decided to get a clay and wax done. Wax is essential to prevent color fading and corrosion.

Quote:
try to locate the exact location of the noise by making someone drive the car and sitting in the third row.
two more compartments you should check are the tool kit compartment behind the 3rd row and the warning triangle compartment in the door. something may not be strapped in.
I already checked the tool kit. Havent checked the warning triangle. Will do so today. also, need to get someone to drive the car for me so that I can sit in 3rd row to check out the source of the noise. Will do that possibly next week.
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:38   #1188
BHPian

On my trip to OOty, one thing I experienced was the loss of power while climbing slopes. I would be climbing a fairly straight long slopes in 2nd gear and as the RPM needle hits 2500 -3000, I shift to 3rd gear and poof, the car loses all power. Faced this a few times while climbing upto Ooty and infact I was fearing if I was looking at a potential clutch failure by the time I reached Ooty. Which would have been a disaster consisting there is no service centre in any close proximity. Thank God, nothing happened other than the occasional power loss.

Now the frustrating part was when there is a vehicle behind you maintaining fairly good speed climbing up the slopes and I accelerate in 2nd gear and lose it totally when I shift it to 3rd gear. Had to move to the side several times to allow them pass. Now with cars (petrol or diesel), the heavy XUV may not match in terms of power to weight ratio while driving up such slopes. But I felt the Innova's too seemed to tackle the slopes better compared to my XUV. It turned out like the cheetah was totally breathless by the time it reached the last 20-40 kms.

Its been almost 2 weeks since I returned. The car performed great on the return trip and continue to do so for the daily commute. I am totally clueless why the car was losing it totally on shifting to the 3rd gear while climbing the slopes,considering vehicles like XUV are meant to do such things. Or is it my driving. But then it is the first time, I faced such a situation with any car. Have tried some mountain driving in Maruti 800, Honda City, Tata sierra to name a few. Since the car would be going for the first service, is there anything specific to be checked for this issue.

FundaG
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:49   #1189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
On my trip to OOty, one thing I experienced was the loss of power while climbing slopes. I would be climbing a fairly straight long slopes in 2nd gear and as the RPM needle hits 2500 -3000, I shift to 3rd gear and poof, the car loses all power.
This is a clear issue of the car losing power because by the time you shifted to 3rd gear from second, the engine rpm had dropped below the range that the turbo spools, hence the vehicle felt powerless. Moreovier, since you were on a slope, the situation only worsened.

It all about keeping the engine in its power band or the 1800-2300 range.
Practice some more driving on the ghats with your cheetah and you will get the knack of doing it.

There is NO issue with your XUV, relax.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 05:50   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath
This is a clear issue of the car losing power because by the time you shifted to 3rd gear from second, the engine rpm had dropped below the range that the turbo spools, hence the vehicle felt powerless. Moreovier, since you were on a slope, the situation only worsened.

Practice some more driving on the ghats with your cheetah and you will get the knack of doing it.

Dev,
If he shifts to 3rd at 2500-3000rpm, then after the shift the needle should stay above the 1800 mark and the turbo should stay active.
I have shifted up at 2000rpm on occasions without any such problem.
I would think there's some problem with the clutch.
Can you reproduce the problem? If you can then have it shown to your RM and let them figure it out.
Old 24th November 2012, 16:13   #1191
BHPian

Agreed... Its most likely a matter of timing the gear shifts correctly while shifting fast enough while on slopes...

Its usually helpful to shift at a slightly higher RPM when on slopes to prevent power loss on shifting... It also helps to effect the gear change faster (this helps, but not recommended - as pushing it too far could cause clutch problems in the long run)

For both of these, more driving experience in the same car and understanding its power distribution would help a lot

Otherwise, I do not think there is any problem with the XUV500 either

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

bzr77k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 01:02   #1192
BHPian

Folks,
A question to W8 owners here: Is your ICE playing mp3 from USB device without any hiccups? Will the system hang after some minutes / hours of usage?

The reason for this question is due to, from day one, I am facing a lot of issues while playing songs from USB device in my XUV. 2 times the silver box (HU) replaced but the issue still persist. I have tried multiple USB drives in different capacity, but nothing helped. I am in contact with M&M and their Vendor on further root causing the issue. During a discussion with the vendor, they mentioned that there is no such complaints reported by other customers, which is very hard to believe.

-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 26th November 2012 at 01:04.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:37   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper
Folks,
A question to W8 owners here: Is your ICE playing mp3 from USB device without any hiccups? Will the system hang after some minutes / hours of usage?

The reason for this question is due to, from day one, I am facing a lot of issues while playing songs from USB device in my XUV. 2 times the silver box (HU) replaced but the issue still persist. I have tried multiple USB drives in different capacity, but nothing helped. I am in contact with M&M and their Vendor on further root causing the issue. During a discussion with the vendor, they mentioned that there is no such complaints reported by other customers, which is very hard to believe.

-HCP
Using the system for last two months with 16 gb pen drive. No issue like this occured so far.
superbhikari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 06:02   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

-HCP
Nope, no hanging issues whatsoever. Nor have I heard of anyone with a similar issue. So maybe they're right- this might be a one off case.
However one thing I've seen is that they are usually pretty sincere about finding a solution, so here's hoping they find yours too very soon.
(in the meantime try playing music on blue tooth. You won't have the hanging issue and clarity is far better
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 08:45   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar

Nope, no hanging issues whatsoever. Nor have I heard of anyone with a similar issue. So maybe they're right- this might be a one off case.
However one thing I've seen is that they are usually pretty sincere about finding a solution, so here's hoping they find yours too very soon.
(in the meantime try playing music on blue tooth. You won't have the hanging issue and clarity is far better
No issues on my xuv either. It never hanged so far. It has passed only 2 weeks since I bought. I regularly play mp3 from USB. I got a small 16 GB HP pan drive that just fits in well and I can close the lid. If one puts bigger pan drive, lid can not be closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar

Dev,
If he shifts to 3rd at 2500-3000rpm, then after the shift the needle should stay above the 1800 mark and the turbo should stay active.
I have shifted up at 2000rpm on occasions without any such problem.
I would think there's some problem with the clutch.
Can you reproduce the problem? If you can then have it shown to your RM and let them figure it out.
I city traffic, at what rpm should I change gears?
I am changing at 1900 and I am getting mere 9 kmpl. I have a feeling that if I change at 2100, I am getting better. Can someone pls suggest?

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th November 2012 at 08:57. Reason: See note in post
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 21:28   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Using the system for last two months with 16 gb pen drive. No issue like this occured so far.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
No issues on my xuv either. It never hanged so far. It has passed only 2 weeks since I bought.
Thanks folks. That is quite re-assuring. Looks like a single unit failure.
I have used Sandisk Cruze 16 GB and now a 32 GB hp drives. Both of them had this issue reproduced. Most of the time there is no hang, but the song will be paused without any audio output and also the slider that shows the current track progress will not move forward. If I press the source button, I can go back to other sources and listen to them. But to restore USB functionality I will have to stop the car, remove the key, wait for 10 seconds and then start it.

Presently the M&M and Nippon folks are working with me to root cause and fix the issue. They are indeed quite responsive and genuine in identifying the problem till now.
-HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 22:11   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I have used Sandisk Cruze 16 GB and now a 32 GB hp drives. Both of them had this issue reproduced. Most of the time there is no hang, but the song will be paused without any audio output and also the slider that shows the current track progress will not move forward. If I press the source button, I can go back to other sources and listen to them. But to restore USB functionality I will have to stop the car, remove the key, wait for 10 seconds and then start it.

Presently the M&M and Nippon folks are working with me to root cause and fix the issue. They are indeed quite responsive and genuine in identifying the problem till now.
-HCP
2 paisa; how about formating drive with fat32/ntfs
Tushargohil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 03:43   #1198

Clutch Failure

I had a glimpse on some problems regarding the clutch failure in this forum, just when I realized it was not only mine.

We got our car delivered on January 5, 2012, which probably makes it one from November/December batch.

It was quite late at night when my dad was coming home and suddenly while shifting the gear, the clutch pedal failed and it never came up. This was quite a scary experience for him. The car had been serviced at 30k kms a couple of weeks before this happened. He somehow managed to drive 20 odd kms in 2nd gear.

The story had just begun. Next day, he called up Mahindra Service (Lohchab Motors) at Rohtak. They took the car and called up next day quoting that the car is ready, only to realize that once again the clutch had malfunctioned. Nevertheless, they replaced some "cylinder", as they said, and this time assured us of no problems. Thankfully, they did not charge us for it.

The car returned from the workshop on fourth day. After parking the car in porch for the night, the next morning the floor was messed up with oil, which we identified as power steering fluid, as we found it empty under the hood. The car again went to the workshop for the day, and was returned in the evening, only to find the problem still existed. Next day again at workshop, and those chaps "luckily" fixed the leakage.

In all this process, the power steering oil as well as brake oil had to be replaced twice, for which we had to pay, without it being our fault.
Is this what someone expects of a new car, which has not even touched 35k kms?

And, I am not even mentioning another problem we had with front suspension, which was giving a knocking sound even on plain roads. That happened a few weeks before this problem. But thats another story, it took them 3 days to fix it with "jugaad"...

The car is "UNRELIABLE" - this is all i can say!
shaktithakran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 05:10   #1199
BHPian

Quote:

-HCP
Just for experimentation purposes have you tried with say a 4 gb usb drive?
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 09:21   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
2 paisa; how about formating drive with fat32/ntfs
Tried formatting to FAT 32 several time by now. Also tried the sector size from default to any settings that Win 7 allows. Also tried exFAT but the issue didn't disappear. The system doesn't support ntfs so cannot try that.

Quote:
Just for experimentation purposes have you tried with say a 4 gb usb drive?
Tried 4 gb as well. Still the issue persists. By the way as far as the device supports FAT32 as per manual technically it should be supporting 32 GB without any problem. So if this seems to be a problem only with by device wouldn't it be fair to get it replaced with a "new" unit and leave all R&D with failing M&M and Nippon?

Thanks
-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 27th November 2012 at 09:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks