Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 06:03   #1171
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
OT
I didn't know XUV comes equipped with such feature, but wouldn't it be counterproductive? I mean, one is supposed to 'turn on' the indicators a few seconds before taking a turn, but by providing such "features", people are induced into not turning them on at all.

I don't have to say what the effect will be when the XUV 'induced' person drives other cars, but even with XUV, how will the car know (and thus turns on the indicator) a few seconds before one actually turns?

If it's only based on the steering turn angle, then it's bad. The information comes to the trailing vehicles at the last minute or worse. I now know that I have to be careful when I am behind an XUV.
GunMo, this is a misunderstanding. XUV does NOT have auto turn indicators. The XUV has cornering lamps. I believe, that's what Avimal is referring to. In this feature, when you take a turn, an additional light switches on automatically and illuminates the sides of the road so that the driver has better visibility into the turn. The feature is well executed. You will love it.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 08:26   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
GunMo, this is a misunderstanding. XUV does NOT have auto turn indicators. The XUV has cornering lamps. I believe, that's what Avimal is referring to. In this feature, when you take a turn, an additional light switches on automatically and illuminates the sides of the road so that the driver has better visibility into the turn. The feature is well executed. You will love it.
yes, it is not replacement for turn indicators which blink. It is continuous light that turns on automatically for few secs if you rotate the steering too much. This gives more confidence in night to see what lies in the corner ( stone, dog etc). Sorry if I have confused in my earlier post.
avimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 12:03   #1173
BHPian

I think it starts a bit late into the turn (at least in my car). The light turn on only when the tun has actually started not when you have just turned the steering. So its fine if you are taking a slow turn. However when turning fast, the lights are not of much use.
Old 20th November 2012, 14:03   #1174
BHPian

This is not a XUV niggle as such but more in relation with the navigator software. Mods pls move it to any related thread if in case it is OT here.

Had made extensive use of the XUV naviagator when I went to Ooty last week. Learnt a lot of new things but also came across some shortcomings. Mainly it was in entering some particular locations. Like I wanted to visit some places within Ooty and tried entering the same. For eg Pykara lake, I enter P-y and the keyboard either becomes inactive or shows some other active letter keys making it impossible to enter the desired location. Believe this is because it is fetching the names from its database. Also just for the info, I was using the Find locations/places option and had set the state as TamilNadu, hence should not be facing the issue with this destination.

On the way to Ooty, I had taken the Kollegal-Charmarajanagara route which met the Mysore-Kozhikode highway at Gundlupet. Now anyone who travelled on this route would be aware that a left turn is for Ooty and right for mysore. Somewhere after Charmarajanagara I had set the destination as Ooty. The lady asked me to turn right when I reached Gundlupet. Since I was slightly confused with the route at the time I turned right though my commonsense indicated I should have turned left. So ignoring the lady who was asking me to continue straight ahead, stopped some 50 mtrs ahead and checked on google maps and confirmed I was correct. . On checking the navigator, I realised the route plotted was that I drive to Mysore, take a U turn and drive back the same way to Ooty. Anyway I took a U turn there itself, driving towards Ooty and the moment I crossed the side road from where I had entered highway at Gundlupet, the navigator started guiding me correctly. Couldnt understand the logic of taking me to Mysore and back the same way.

The other issue I faced was when I travelled back from Ooty to Bangalore via Mysore taking the Gudalur route. This time around I had set everything including the via points even before the journey. However, while I was travelling on the Mysore-kozhikode highway (NH212) towards mysore, the lady kept asking me to take a right whenever there was a road on the right. This was a straight highway towards Mysore and I did not understand the logic why the navigator was asking me to take a deviation.

Also at Mysore, while approaching a round about, the navigator would ask to take the 2nd or 3rd exit towards some road. Now considering there would not be any signages at most round abouts pointing to this particular road, I eventually would take some exit considering the traffic situation around. And would be confused if I had taken the correct exit. So instead of hinting that a wrong exit has been taken, the navigator would instruct to continue on this road as there could be a bi-road somewhere ahead that would put us back to the orginal route and in most cases it would be some narrow gully road, which I faced a couple of times in Ooty as well as Mysore. So in such cases, I feel the best option is human intervention and asking someroad-side person if we are on track.

Now my questions are
- How to make the most effective use of the navigator
- How to type in any destination (like in google map) and not be restricted to the database / the keys going inactive.
- Is there an option to update the maps on our own or Is it possible at the service centre only. If possible how can it be done. I know there is a USB port at the top of the dash for this purpose.
- Is there any detailed manual available online for the XUV naviagator. Apart from the infotainment booklet and the CD provided.

FundaG
Old 20th November 2012, 15:59   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
Does it happen when both seats backs are aligned vertically or when being used in push back position?
no this is not the backrest i'm talking about. it's the seat. the 40 seat ends further than the 60 seat. and this is when both seats' backrests are at the same angle.
Old 20th November 2012, 22:31   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal

yes, it is not replacement for turn indicators which blink. It is continuous light that turns on automatically for few secs if you rotate the steering too much. This gives more confidence in night to see what lies in the corner ( stone, dog etc). Sorry if I have confused in my earlier post.
Ah.. That's clear now. The 'side lights' caught me. Yup, I've read about them as cornering lights and heard its a boon when taking a turn in dark. Clever for Mahindra to execute them neatly between the hi and low beam barrels.

Thank you both.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar

no this is not the backrest i'm talking about. it's the seat. the 40 seat ends further than the 60 seat. and this is when both seats' backrests are at the same angle.
Can you post a picture please?

Last edited by GunMo : 20th November 2012 at 22:33.
Old 20th November 2012, 22:50   #1177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Clever for Mahindra to execute them neatly between the hi and low beam barrels.
Actually the cornering lights are not located between the low and the high beams. They would not have served any purpose there. The two beams there already are good enough together. The problem is that the beams turn along with the car (in any car) so you get to see a patch of lightened up road as you turn but at times what helps is if you could see the left/right of your vehicle (depending on the direction you are turning) which remains dark. The cornering lights are at 90 degrees to the headlight beam and thus together with the regular beams light up a wide patch of the road and gives you a heads up of anything lurking in the dark corners much before you are too deep into the turn.

They switch off once you are through with executing the turn.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:28   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
I think it starts a bit late into the turn (at least in my car). The light turn on only when the tun has actually started not when you have just turned the steering. So its fine if you are taking a slow turn. However when turning fast, the lights are not of much use.
the setting for activation of the static bending lamps is this:
they will not activate below 5kmph.
above 5kmph, they will activate when the steering wheel is turned 90 degrees.
above 100kmph, they will activate when steering wheel is turned 45 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Actually the cornering lights are not located between the low and the high beams. They would not have served any purpose there. The two beams there already are good enough together.
They switch off once you are through with executing the turn.
Zappo,
i think he means the location of the actual bulb and not the area illuminated. the bulb for the static bending lamp is situated between the low and high beam bulbs/barrels.
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 14:20   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
This is not a XUV niggle as such but more in relation with the navigator software. Mods pls move it to any related thread if in case it is OT here.

Had made extensive use of the XUV naviagator when I went to Ooty last week. Learnt a lot of new things but also came across some shortcomings. Mainly it was in entering some particular locations. Like I wanted to visit some places within Ooty and tried entering the same. For eg Pykara lake, I enter P-y and the keyboard either becomes inactive or shows some other active letter keys making it impossible to enter the desired location. Believe this is because it is fetching the names from its database. Also just for the info, I was using the Find locations/places option and had set the state as TamilNadu, hence should not be facing the issue with this destination.

On the way to Ooty, I had taken the Kollegal-Charmarajanagara route which met the Mysore-Kozhikode highway at Gundlupet. Now anyone who travelled on this route would be aware that a left turn is for Ooty and right for mysore. Somewhere after Charmarajanagara I had set the destination as Ooty. The lady asked me to turn right when I reached Gundlupet. Since I was slightly confused with the route at the time I turned right though my commonsense indicated I should have turned left. So ignoring the lady who was asking me to continue straight ahead, stopped some 50 mtrs ahead and checked on google maps and confirmed I was correct. . On checking the navigator, I realised the route plotted was that I drive to Mysore, take a U turn and drive back the same way to Ooty. Anyway I took a U turn there itself, driving towards Ooty and the moment I crossed the side road from where I had entered highway at Gundlupet, the navigator started guiding me correctly. Couldnt understand the logic of taking me to Mysore and back the same way.

The other issue I faced was when I travelled back from Ooty to Bangalore via Mysore taking the Gudalur route. This time around I had set everything including the via points even before the journey. However, while I was travelling on the Mysore-kozhikode highway (NH212) towards mysore, the lady kept asking me to take a right whenever there was a road on the right. This was a straight highway towards Mysore and I did not understand the logic why the navigator was asking me to take a deviation.

Also at Mysore, while approaching a round about, the navigator would ask to take the 2nd or 3rd exit towards some road. Now considering there would not be any signages at most round abouts pointing to this particular road, I eventually would take some exit considering the traffic situation around. And would be confused if I had taken the correct exit. So instead of hinting that a wrong exit has been taken, the navigator would instruct to continue on this road as there could be a bi-road somewhere ahead that would put us back to the orginal route and in most cases it would be some narrow gully road, which I faced a couple of times in Ooty as well as Mysore. So in such cases, I feel the best option is human intervention and asking someroad-side person if we are on track.

Now my questions are
- How to type in any destination (like in google map) and not be restricted to the database / the keys going inactive.
- Is there an option to update the maps on our own or Is it possible at the service centre only. If possible how can it be done. I know there is a USB port at the top of the dash for this purpose.
- Is there any detailed manual available online for the XUV naviagator. Apart from the infotainment booklet and the CD provided.

FundaG
Firstly what version of maps do you have - I have Ver7.0

I too faced similar problems during my 4500km trip to Mussoori - Nanital etc. It kept taking me off the main roads! Once in Dehradun it took me into the thick of the market where I just could not enter or reverse!

Yes once you turn towards the wider/broader/ better road it immediately recalculates and guides you forward!

I contacted MayMyIndia -they sent me on a merry-go-round then finally told me that on the XUV's the version has been adapted - So deal with M&M. M&M asked me to speak to Nippon - Nippon have only developed the infotainment and have nothing to do with the software version.
So even after 6-months nothing has been achieved. Moral of the story- I double check with - Google when planning a long unfamiliar trip! and let common sense prevail.

Quote:
Now my questions are
Do not take it as gospel! - Also use the Route overview and zoom in/out at a doubtful location.
Quote:
Not possible - even the spelling may not be what you and I know a place by!
Quote:
Not possible to update unless you purchase a separate licence from MapMyIndai -

Understand that Ver7.1 is now available - But the dealers are having issues trying to install it.
Quote:
Only on the MapMyIndia site you can find under the faq's some information on how to use the various menus - but it s not XUV specific.

Hope M&M are listening and take note.
Old 21st November 2012, 16:35   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Edit:

Can you post a picture please?
Here's the pic:
As is evident in the pic, the 40 seat ends both further and higher than the 60 seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-imag0671001.jpg  

kaiserketkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 18:32   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
FundaG
One option you can try is to enter the latitude and logitude of the place you want to navigate to. The below post form SDP has the details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2903865

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 20:10   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar

Here's the pic:
As is evident in the pic, the 40 seat ends both further and higher than the 60 seat.
If both the seat bases are aligned to either fore most or aft most position (I reckon they are on sliders) and still this gap exists, then something is surely wrong. This looks like a San Andreas fault line at miniature scale . Please get them checked.
Old 22nd November 2012, 00:13   #1183
BHPian

Today I got under body treatment and clay+wax done for my car from 3M. After that the car is now making rattleling / sweaking noise on bad roads. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere rear. I checked if the spare wheel has been fixed properly, any play in any of the doors, play in silensors, or in seats. Absolutely nothing. The only doubt now i have is that the boot door rubber lining might be sqeaking on account of rubbing with polished surface. Any suggestions?
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:40   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Here's the pic:
Is the 3rd row strapped up ? It is exactly the same in my Scorpio with the rear bench closed. The positions are correct with the last row in open position.
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:52   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Is the 3rd row strapped up ? It is exactly the same in my Scorpio with the rear bench closed. The positions are correct with the last row in open position.
it doesn't matter how the 3rd row seats are. the position of this seat stays this way.
incidentally how will the 3rd row seat position affect this?

Quote:
Today I got under body treatment and clay+wax done for my car from 3M. After that the car is now making rattleling / sweaking noise on bad roads. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere rear. I checked if the spare wheel has been fixed properly, any play in any of the doors, play in silensors, or in seats. Absolutely nothing. The only doubt now i have is that the boot door rubber lining might be sqeaking on account of rubbing with polished surface. Any suggestions?
what is clay+wax?

try to locate the exact location of the noise by making someone drive the car and sitting in the third row.
two more compartments you should check are the tool kit compartment behind the 3rd row and the warning triangle compartment in the door. something may not be strapped in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks