Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 23:07   #1156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider

also are you supposed to put your car in neutral when activating it or should it be in gears? how exactly are you suppose to use it?

second thing I noticed yesterday when I first tested cruise control is that when activated at say about the speed of 60kmph and then deactivated by either pressing brakes or by pressing the cruise control off button, the cruise control again starts and reaches the set limit when pressed the "RES" (Resume) button even after 5-10 minutes! I was told by a mahindra guy at the showroom who gave me the demo during the delivery, that the Resume button works only if it is activated whithin 30 seconds or so after the cruise control is deactivated. but it works even after 5-10 mins in my car.

I think its a bit dangerous because what if you accidently press the RES button? as it developes the speed rapidly to reach the set limit. ideally RES button should work only for sometime and cruise control should reset after sometime.

also does anyone know how much speed will increase or decrease when clicked + or - once? since XUV has click type buttons on the steering wheel. I reached almost 80 from 60-65kmph by using the + button for adjusting the speed.
No you're not supposed to put your car In neutral for the HDC. Each gear has a preset speed threshold and whichever gear you activate the HDC in, the threshold speed of that gear will be maintained. If you wish to go faster, either go up a gear or press the cruise control + on the steering.

The RES button of the CC isn't valid only for a few secs. It works later too, even when you change gears.
I don't quite think it's dangerous nor do I think you can accidentally reactivate the cruise because for that to happen you need to press the button AND have your foot off the accelerator. Besides even if you do, a simple tap of A, B or C will disengage the cruise well before you reach any uncontrollable speed. There are enough safety's built into the cruise control.

Each click of the + or - button will a) ter the speed by ~2 kmph. You can also raise speed by holding down the button till the desired cruising speed is reached.
kaiserketkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 23:46   #1157
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
No you're not supposed to put your car In neutral for the HDC. Each gear has a preset speed threshold and whichever gear you activate the HDC in, the threshold speed of that gear will be maintained. If you wish to go faster, either go up a gear or press the cruise control + on the steering.
I did try the HDC in gears too but still the noise remains. its a very weird whistling noise similar to a pressure cooker when the whistle is about to blow and it slowly starts to blow in breaks! friends also asked whats that noise and I had no answer!
Old 15th November 2012, 12:46   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
The fading/blurring/burning of the reflector should not be a problem with HID.

A comparison is given below;

HID vs Halogen

Some of the benefits of HID over halogen are...

Go ahead and change to the headlight to HID. Just get a good brand and stay with lower colour temperature (ideal - 4100 kelvin). ..........
Thanks to all the guys who posted.
Yes Initially as I was passing the shop on an impulse felt like changing to HID. However good sense prevailed and i decided to do a little research before jumping in! Thanks again for all the inputs.

So yes what I have figured from all the research
1. 4200K would be ideal.
2. As the low beam (centre) is projector type lamp it should be converted to HID. High beam is reflector so NO change - Max change the bulb to Xenon type if required(but very expensive).

Thanks and Regards
Old 15th November 2012, 14:41   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz

So yes what I have figured from all the research
1. 4200K would be ideal.
2. As the low beam (centre) is projector type lamp it should be converted to HID. High beam is reflector so NO change - Max change the bulb to Xenon type if required(but very expensive).

Thanks and Regards
Actually Gerard if you're getting hids on the low beam that should be good enuf. The parallel beam is as it is quite powerful so you don't really need to upsize it. If you want to however, simply changing to a higher wattage halogen should be good enuf.
Old 15th November 2012, 20:38   #1160
BHPian

So finally my Brand new XUV W6 arrived on 13th Nov. Very pleased with overall vehicle. Already driven over 300 Kms. I will post my detailed review in First drive thread.

Yesterday I noticed that:

1. The front illumination doesnt glow on opening the door (while the rear one does)
2. The the circuitry on head unit display (left side) is visible in the back light at night. In day time it isnt. Hence did not notice it during PDI.

Anyone else having similar issues???
tictactoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 09:12   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
So finally my Brand new XUV W6 arrived on 13th Nov. Very pleased with overall vehicle. Already driven over 300 Kms. I will post my detailed review in First drive thread.

Yesterday I noticed that:

1. The front illumination doesnt glow on opening the door (while the rear one does)
2. The the circuitry on head unit display (left side) is visible in the back light at night. In day time it isnt. Hence did not notice it during PDI.

Anyone else having similar issues???
Tictactoe -- Heartiest congratulations! I'm sure you are going to have a long and wonderful relationship with your beautiful new XUV.

The lamp above the middle row is the one which is connected to door switches. All the other ceiling mounted lamps are reading lights with their own individual switches.

What you observed on the monochrome display is normal.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 10:05   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
The lamp above the middle row is the one which is connected to door switches. All the other ceiling mounted lamps are reading lights with their own individual switches.

What you observed on the monochrome display is normal.
Thanks Debuda. I thought the manual mentioned front illumination when the door is opened.
Old 16th November 2012, 12:02   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Actually Gerard if you're getting hids on the low beam that should be good enuf. The parallel beam is as it is quite powerful so you don't really need to upsize it. If you want to however, simply changing to a higher wattage halogen should be good enuf.
Thanks - exactly my sentiments.
Just on question - What if -within the city- you do not want to use the white lights - can you just interchange the bulbs - or do you need to disconnect the ballast too?
Old 19th November 2012, 16:59   #1164
BHPian

Quick update from my oct 12 manufactured xuv w8. I have run only 300 Kms so far.
Apart from usual things like tight first / second gear and truck like driver door, I have following 2 new observations:
1. Leg rest for driver is very limited. There is some plastic protruding which might be the culprit. I did not feel it during TD. Need to check with RM.
2. Stock Tyres are Apollo hawkz H/P. I don't find this tyre on Apollo web site. Shocked. Checking with RM. though Tyres are behaving nice.

My biggest grudge is the soft brakes. It feels like drums brakes. There is lot of play in brakes. Without that play it may feel much better.

I'm enjoying it. Best feature I liked so far is the auto switch on of side lights when you take turns.
Old 19th November 2012, 18:41   #1165
BHPian

Folks,

I have searched through this and other threads to see if anyone has a problem similar to mine but it seems not.

On my XUV (Jan 2012), I can feel external air/odor enter the cabin even when the recirculation mode is turned on. Anyone else seen this problem? Is there a DIY fix or does it need a visit to the service station?

Thanks
Suman
Old 19th November 2012, 19:08   #1166
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think the sub group was intended as a breakaway faction or anything. The forum is the reason we're here discussing this.
A subgroup could be something as simple as a separate thread (open, not secret mind you) about Pune- & Mumbaikars planning a meet; so as to not clutter the XUV thread.
Or it could well be some one PMing one or more BHPians about a get together or exchanging notes.
The "issues" will continue to be discussed on this very thread "in front of all the members"
I fail to see how either of this "goes against the spirit of the forum". I also fail to understand why anyone should be so touchy about others planning to meet up separately - virtually or physically. You're welcome to join in, you're free not to join in.
Please do drop the idea. We do not support brand based threads, meets and such other sub-groupings. We did have such threads in the past but most have either been closed or have dropped out of active circulation.
Old 19th November 2012, 21:56   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraf_suman
Folks,

I have searched through this and other threads to see if anyone has a problem similar to mine but it seems not.

On my XUV (Jan 2012), I can feel external air/odor enter the cabin even when the recirculation mode is turned on. Anyone else seen this problem? Is there a DIY fix or does it need a visit to the service station?

Thanks
Suman
Hi Suman

I believe I know the root cause for that issue. Infact, I found it out in a very unpleasant manner. Will update with the details once I have photos to explain it.

Cheers.
X
Old 19th November 2012, 22:01   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo

Please do drop the idea. We do not support brand based threads, meets and such other sub-groupings. We did have such threads in the past but most have either been closed or have dropped out of active circulation.
Fair enough.
Let's get back to the beast.
Current niggles still have to be dealt with, and new ones to be reported.

I have one-
I noticed that the second row split seat doesn't align properly. The 40 seat is a little forward as compared to the 60 seat. I remember a friends 8 seater Scorpio also facing a similar issue. Is this something common to all XUVs and is there any solution to this?
Not that it's any major inconvenience, but now I that I've noticed it, it keeps bugging me.
Old 19th November 2012, 22:55   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar
I noticed that the second row split seat doesn't align properly. The 40 seat is a little forward as compared to the 60 seat.
Does it happen when both seats backs are aligned vertically or when being used in push back position?
Old 20th November 2012, 05:25   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal
Best feature I liked so far is the auto switch on of side lights when you take turns.
OT
I didn't know XUV comes equipped with such feature, but wouldn't it be counterproductive? I mean, one is supposed to 'turn on' the indicators a few seconds before taking a turn, but by providing such "features", people are induced into not turning them on at all.

I don't have to say what the effect will be when the XUV 'induced' person drives other cars, but even with XUV, how will the car know (and thus turns on the indicator) a few seconds before one actually turns?

If it's only based on the steering turn angle, then it's bad. The information comes to the trailing vehicles at the last minute or worse. I now know that I have to be careful when I am behind an XUV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks