Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 23:39   #1126
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

HHC Issue:
yesterday while on the highway in between the traffic, while the car was moving, suddenly the HHC (hill hold control) indicator showed and stayed on the instrument cluster! I just switched off the car and started again and it went away! when I checked the manual, I came to know that if the HHC light shows up it means the Hill hold function has malfunctioned and need to take the car to the service centre immediately. and now when I start the engine the HHC indicator doesn't light up for few seconds where as all the other indicators light up and stay on for few seconds.

when asked the RM about the same, she said I can come to the service centre and get the same checked. but since my car has already covered 750 odd kms, I was thinking that I'll go after a few more days when the car crosses 1000kms so I can also get the oil changed at the same visit.

So what should I do? go to the service centre for the HHC issue now or wait till i cross 1000 kms?

There are also some more minor issues which I have doubts about but as they aren't too serious I might get them looked at during the first service after 3 months. they are as mentioned below:

Excessive fan noise from the center console:
I too have noticed this when I stop the engine and the key is still in the ignition. will talk about this on the service centre visit now or during first free service.

Notchy gear box:
I have notchy gearbox too. but I am hoping this will be eased and solved during the first service. do they also change the gear box oil during the first service?

Brakes:
My building is on a slope so when I take the car out I have noticed the brakes do make a sound when pressed and released on the slope. but otherwise there is no grinding noise or anything.

Last edited by magikrider : 8th November 2012 at 23:41.
Old 9th November 2012, 06:50   #1127
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
HHC Issue:
yesterday while on the highway in between the traffic, while the car was moving, suddenly the HHC (hill hold control) indicator showed and stayed on the instrument cluster! ...
So what should I do? go to the service centre for the HHC issue now or wait till i cross 1000 kms?
Unless the car is behaving differently (like applying brakes in un-intended situations), I believe, you can wait for a few more days.

Quote:
I too have noticed this when I stop the engine and the key is still in the ignition. will talk about this on the service centre visit now or during first free service.
There is fan-noise from the infotainment system, especially noticeable with engine off. I hope it doesn't bother you when playing music. Do get a opinion from your RM.

Quote:
Notchy gear box:
I have notchy gearbox too. but I am hoping this will be eased and solved during the first service. do they also change the gear box oil during the first service?
There is no gear-oil-change as part of first service.

Quote:
Brakes:
My building is on a slope so when I take the car out I have noticed the brakes do make a sound when pressed and released on the slope. but otherwise there is no grinding noise or anything.
This is normal. Don't worry. Enjoy the vehicle.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 15:42   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider
HHC Issue:
yesterday while on the highway in between the traffic, while the car was moving, suddenly the HHC (hill hold control) indicator showed and stayed on the instrument cluster! I just switched off the car and started again and it went away! when I checked the manual, I came to know that if the HHC light shows up it means the Hill hold function has malfunctioned and need to take the car to the service centre immediately. and now when I start the engine the HHC indicator doesn't light up for few seconds where as all the other indicators light up and stay on for few seconds.

when asked the RM about the same, she said I can come to the service centre and get the same checked. but since my car has already covered 750 odd kms, I was thinking that I'll go after a few more days when the car crosses 1000kms so I can also get the oil changed at the same visit.

Brakes:
Please go to the dealership and get the brake pads replaced. As for the HHC, check the memory logs. Ask them to run the logs(via OBD ll) in your presence so you will see how the software learns and reads the logs. You will get to see and verify the errors being thrown into the log dump. Have heard of some dealers billing M&M for replacements even when there was no part replacement done.

Quote:

Notchy gear box:
The excessive fan noise is the fan linked to the A/c. If you set the circulation mode as the one where the air is recirculated in the cabin, depending on your fan speed the noise varies.

As for the gear box, wait it out for a little while unless of course you plan to do a long run very soon.
Xryder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 16:34   #1129
SDP
Team-BHP Support

<Cross-posting from my ownership thread>

Fellow XUV owners, please pay attention to the power-steering fluid level once in a week. After Zappo reporting PS failure because of leakage I got it checked in my car during the first service and a rubber-hose in my car was also leaking. The leak was minor, but the part would have eventually failed. Got it replaced under warranty.

Because of the underbody plastic cover below the engine and transmission, the leak is very difficult to notice unless it is severe. If the plastic cover is removed, you would be able to see signs of the leakage if any. Monitoring the fluid level is a easier option.

Here's a photo from 2 months back when I had visited the service-center and missed the signs of the leakage:
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-dsc_0555.jpg

Don't want to cause an alarm. Just wanted you to pay attention as there are no sensors to indicate low power-steering fluid level or PS-malfunctioning.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 17:58   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Fellow XUV owners, please pay attention to the power-steering fluid level once in a week. After Zappo reporting PS failure because of leakage I got it checked in my car during the first service and a rubber-hose in my car was also leaking. The leak was minor, but the part would have eventually failed. Got it replaced under warranty.

Because of the underbody plastic cover below the engine and transmission, the leak is very difficult to notice unless it is severe. If the plastic cover is removed, you would be able to see signs of the leakage if any. Monitoring the fluid level is a easier option.

Here's a photo from 2 months back when I had visited the service-center and missed the signs of the leakage:
Attachment 1012799

Don't want to cause an alarm. Just wanted you to pay attention as there are no sensors to indicate low power-steering fluid level or PS-malfunctioning.
Thanks, SDP.

Today I took my XUV-W6 to the Service Centre (for the first time after delivery, with ODO at 350 km) for a general check-up prior to my forthcoming long drive from Jamshedpur to Delhi. Among other things, I was keen to inspect the PS hose which has brought many a XUV (including my nephew's) to its knees. Here are a couple of pics :

The upper of the two pipes is the High Pressure power steering hose which has a history of leaks. The lower one is the low pressure hose which is quite benign. The leaks usually take place from the joints between the rubber hose and its steel end connections (the black rubber hose on the right and one of its steel end fittings on the left are clearly visible in this picture). These pipes / hoses are situated by the side of the front RHS wheel-well (below the steering column).
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv008.jpg

This is another view (seeing from left to right, i.e., towards the front RHS wheel-well) of the two power steering hoses.
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv010.jpg

I was informed by the mechanic that the hose fitted in my car is of modified design. I hope I don't get stuck with a failed Power Steering. Must remember to check the fluid level regularly as advised by SDP.
debuda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 18:22   #1131
SDP
Team-BHP Support

^^ Thanks Debuda!

That's precisely the part that I am talking about. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Zappo, was this part the main issue in your case?
Old 11th November 2012, 05:14   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
HHC Issue:
now when I start the engine the HHC indicator doesn't light up for few seconds where as all the other indicators light up and stay on for few seconds.
Ok I rechecked this and I was wrong. the indicator does light up when I turn on the ignition key. there are so many lights that I missed it earlier.

also the HHC work fine and I think it was just a false alarm earlier but still will get it checked during my first visit to the service centre.

Quote:
Brakes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Please go to the dealership and get the brake pads replaced. As for the HHC, check the memory logs. Ask them to run the logs(via OBD ll) in your presence so you will see how the software learns and reads the logs. You will get to see and verify the errors being thrown into the log dump. Have heard of some dealers billing M&M for replacements even when there was no part replacement done.
I will get it checked but I don't find any problem with the brakes as such. the work perfectly fine. only thing that I had noticed was a bit of sound from them when I stop the car while getting down the slope and then release the brakes. but maybe it is natural i think. also read some people complaining about the new brake pads as being inefficient and spongy so don't wanna take the risk unnecessarily.
Old 11th November 2012, 12:51   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
I will get it checked but I don't find any problem with the brakes as such. the work perfectly fine. only thing that I had noticed was a bit of sound from them when I stop the car while getting down the slope and then release the brakes. but maybe it is natural i think. also read some people complaining about the new brake pads as being inefficient and spongy so don't wanna take the risk unnecessarily.
Got the pads replaced. Sound has disappeared. Braking is good. Have not seen any issues. Have been using the new brake pads for nearly 15 days. No issues yet.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:47   #1134
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine is buying Mahindra XUV500 and he had couple of questions:

1. He had asked for Dolphin Grey colour. The vehicle shown to him has 'Mara Overcast' as the colour(?) on the window sticker. This is not a standard colour for XUV. Is it ok to take this or is this an 'experimental' 'one of a kind' vehicle and therefore to be avoided? The XUV site still shows Dolphing Grey

2. The vehicle is fitted with Apollo tires. My understanding is that the standard used to be either bridgestone or JK tires. Again, any XUV owner who got Apollo tires as original fitment? Any opinion on Apollo tires?

Do Let me know. Thanks.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:57   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Looking at electronics failure (might be due to software or hardware) and other mechanical parts failure in XUV I am doubtful as to how the vehicle will be on maintenance after the warranty expires, especially alot of gizmos have been provided in XUV how long will they work as the quality seems average. Is this proving tobe another white elephant after the warranty expires? I hope Mahindra sorts out the issues.

Last edited by mercedised : 12th November 2012 at 14:58.
Old 12th November 2012, 15:23   #1136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Zappo, was this part the main issue in your case?
This is part of the entire assembly. The rack and pinion assembly that also houses the PS components is actually pretty big and the entire thing was changed in my case.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 15:39   #1137
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
This is part of the entire assembly. The rack and pinion assembly that also houses the PS components is actually pretty big and the entire thing was changed in my case.
Zappo, thanks for the response. Sometimes I wonder if the service centers are taking M&M for a ride by replacing more than what is necessary.
Old 12th November 2012, 16:34   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

1. He had asked for Dolphin Grey colour. The vehicle shown to him has 'Mara Overcast' as the colour(?) on the window sticker. This is not a standard colour for XUV. Is it ok to take this or is this an 'experimental' 'one of a kind' vehicle and therefore to be avoided? The XUV site still shows Dolphing Grey
Hi. This shouldn't be a problem. I think every color in the XUV range also has a (nick) name based on the Masaai Mara/Serengeti wilderness theme (extending the Cheetah inspiration further !). I remember noting the nick name for the Amazon Green and being impressed (but can't remember it now!).
It seems all the colors for the XUV were finalized based on the effect of the various times of the day (position of the sun) on a vehicle parked out in the open plains of the African Mara !
rakesh_raja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 11:46   #1139
BHPian

I''v been doing a lot of late evening/night driving back and forth Mumbai -Hazira. So was wondering if an upgrade to HID would be a good idea.
Need to know a few things first.
1. The owners manual states the innermost light as low beam whereas it is the high beam and the middlel (projector) one closer to the yellow signal, is the low beam. is this correct?
2.What is the diff between P4 and P8? are they just brand names?
I know the difference between 4200K and 6000K etc.
3. do you have to cut wires or is it just plug and play.
4. Lastly what is the cost approx.
One dealer in Surat mentioned that Phillips gives too much trouble so not to go for it.
suggestions please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

2. The vehicle is fitted with Apollo tires. My understanding is that the standard used to be either bridgestone or JK tires. Again, any XUV owner who got Apollo tires as original fitment? Any opinion on Apollo tires?

Do Let me know. Thanks.
Mine is a Nov2011 vehicle and Yes the color is 'Mara Overcast' on the sticker BUT is Dolphin Grey -as was displayed in the show room and the colour I chose.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th November 2012 at 12:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:53   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz
I''v been doing a lot of late evening/night driving back and forth Mumbai -Hazira. So was wondering if an upgrade to HID would be a good idea.
Gerard,
It's a great idea to switch to HIDs. The difference esp on highways and in rainy conditions is astounding.
I have p8 4200k installed and they work just great.
Cost was ~10k.
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks