Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 14:38   #991
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I came across this XUV niggles thread recently and started reading it page by page. I got so shocked by the kind of serious defects (which definitely can’t be categorized as ‘niggles’) that I went through the entire 66 pages of this thread over a couple of days (and nights!), reading it non-stop like a horror story. I had good personal reason to be horrified -- I have booked a XUV myself!

Sudden clutch failures and weak brakes in a 140 HP car weighing 2 tonnes can lead to life-threatening situations at any time. But both M&M and Indian consumers are pretty cool about it. Can such a scenario be even imagined in a civilized nation? Why do we allow manufacturers of sub-standard machines to get away with it? Why do we meekly accept such callousness as consumers?
Post Script : Have I cancelled my XUV booking after coming to know about the defects? No. Why? Because I’m a moron who hopes against hope that by the time I get my XUV the problems (at least the major ones) would be sorted out. In India, we are like that only!
Ah, there it is! We were missing a good 'M&M flogging' post for some 2-3 pages now!

What you are going through is PDS - preDelivery syndrome - (quite similar to PMS).

Most of us went through the same stage. I am pretty sure, it would go away once you get your vehicle and live with it for a couple of weeks.

This thread started a year back and has a lot of horror stories from first batch. Most of that is water under the bridge.

There are at least 20-25 TBHPians who own XUV5OO and are regularly active on this thread. As a dip-stick survey, just check how many of those are willing to sell their XUVs.

Currently, the positives of the XUV clearly outweigh the issues it has. So take it easy!

Last edited by SDP : 4th October 2012 at 14:40.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 15:36   #992
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
XUV Owners in Bangalore :
- Which are the authorized service centers for the XUV in Bangalore ?
- Any issues with these service centers ?
There are 3 authorised service centers for the XUV at Bangalore.

1. Sireesh Auto. I do not recommend them.
2. India Garage. Better than Sireesh Auto but you d need to build your rapport with the SAs.
3. SKS Automobiles/Kalyani Mahindra...the name is not finalised since SKS has been taken over by Kalyani. This is the best service center from my personal experiences.

Take your pick.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 16:38   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
There are at least 20-25 TBHPians who own XUV5OO and are regularly active on this thread. As a dip-stick survey, just check how many of those are willing to sell their XUVs.

Currently, the positives of the XUV clearly outweigh the issues it has. So take it easy!
Thanks a ton for your reassuring words, SDP. It makes me feel a little better. I was indeed slipping into a depression due to PDS!
Old 4th October 2012, 19:49   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Ah, there it is! We were missing a good 'M&M flogging' post for some 2-3 pages now!

What you are going through is PDS - preDelivery syndrome - (quite similar to PMS).

Most of us went through the same stage. I am pretty sure, it would go away once you get your vehicle and live with it for a couple of weeks.

I had a clutch failure with my Linea petrol - right in the middle of Mumbai - Pune highway. Went though a nightmare getting my parents across to Pune (and my car to a service centre). Other than this, Linea gave me its fare share of niggles - inlcluding underperforming AC (which was later replaced), failed fuel pump (replaced in extended warranty), malfunction in bluetooth connectivity etc. I finally have got sick of the car. The only thing I like about it is the ride quality.

Now I am seriously considering XUV500 - and yes it is going to be tough to convince myself (and my wife) to live through all the niggles all over again.
Old 4th October 2012, 21:05   #995
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
Now I am seriously considering XUV500 - and yes it is going to be tough to convince myself (and my wife) to live through all the niggles all over again.
There is a difference Tictactoe.

While the problems you faced in your Linea were "issues" which stopped the car/could have stopped the car, 95% of the problems in the XUV are "niggles" which will/may only result in a few features not working and not a "breakdown".

There have been ZERO reports of XUVs breaking down in the middle of nowhere and people have taken them to most corners of the country successfully.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 22:04   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

2. India Garage. Better than Sireesh Auto but you d need to build your rapport with the SAs.
3. SKS Automobiles/Kalyani Mahindra...the name is not finalised since SKS has been taken over by Kalyani. This is the best service center from my personal experiences.

Take your pick.
Is Sireesh auto so bad. I had recently brought my 1 month old XUV to bangalore and was planning to visit Sireesh to do a general check up considering the first service is after 2 more months. As I stay in electronic city Sireesh on Hosur road is closer.

FundaG
Old 4th October 2012, 22:29   #997
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie

Is Sireesh auto so bad?
I have had so many friends complain about them and have witnessed a few incidents as well. If you stay at the E city , you are better off at the SKS Automobiles off Hosur road. I know a TL there so let me know if you need any contacts there.
Old 4th October 2012, 22:47   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Is Sireesh auto so bad. I had recently brought my 1 month old XUV to bangalore and was planning to visit Sireesh to do a general check up considering the first service is after 2 more months. As I stay in electronic city Sireesh on Hosur road is closer.

FundaG
Sireesh's Hosur road workshop do not service XUVs. You have to vist their Marthahalli facility if you are planning to service your vehicle at Sireesh.

Wind
Old 5th October 2012, 11:55   #999
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Post Script : Have I cancelled my XUV booking after coming to know about the defects? No. Why? Because I’m a moron who hopes against hope that by the time I get my XUV the problems (at least the major ones) would be sorted out. In India, we are like that only!
There you are then. Another one joining the queue.

Seriously, I don't know what your rant is about. Closing in on 6 months now and I am yet to have any issues with the vehicle other than the eternal wait for the new-design brake pads to arrive. And the car has covered at least 1 serious long distance, 2-way journey, absolutely non-stop.

If you read through the whole thread as you say you did then you would have also noticed the clear articulation of the views of N number of owners that all the issues reported here were from the 1st batch and people have not faced most of these issues after that. That even includes the clutch-failure issue that I am yet to see in any new batch vehicles. I am sure you would have also noticed the same while reading.

Then what's the point of this monstrous, rant post? Cool it sir.

By the way, M&M is apparently offering a 3rd year extended warranty, absolutely free. Its still not reached all the dealerships everywhere I guess but should eventually happen.

Quote:

<snip>
Thanks... a very sensible and meaningful post.

Last edited by Zappo : 5th October 2012 at 11:57.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 13:00   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Take your pick.
I booked my vehicle last month. SKS Auto were not taking any bookings for XUV. I also checked the Mahindra site and they have only 2 authorized centers in Bangalore. one is Sireesh and one is India Garage.

Is the SKS center an authorized one?
Old 5th October 2012, 13:14   #1001
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Is the SKS center an authorized one?
The SKS sales has been put on hold by M&M since they have been taken over by Kalyani but both their service centers are fully operational and will continue to be so.
Old 5th October 2012, 13:47   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Seriously, I don't know what your rant is about. Closing in on 6 months now and I am yet to have any issues with the vehicle other than the eternal wait for the new-design brake pads to arrive. And the car has covered at least 1 serious long distance, 2-way journey, absolutely non-stop.

Then what's the point of this monstrous, rant post? Cool it sir.
The quintessence of my 'rant' is this : Despite serious / catastrophic failures in some batches of XUV, there is no recall. This is not only unprofessional, it's downright unethical because it concerns passenger and third party safety on the road. And it is consumers like you and me who meekly allow Indian manufacturers to take us for a ride. Remember sanction of the victim in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged?

It is heartening to know that your XUV is still in one piece and I hope like hell that mine too performs as it jolly well should. But that is besides the point, really.

Last edited by debuda : 5th October 2012 at 13:49.
Old 5th October 2012, 17:33   #1003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The quintessence of my 'rant' is this : Despite serious / catastrophic failures in some batches of XUV, there is no recall. This is not only unprofessional, it's downright unethical because it concerns passenger and third party safety on the road. And it is consumers like you and me who meekly allow Indian manufacturers to take us for a ride. Remember sanction of the victim in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged?

It is heartening to know that your XUV is still in one piece and I hope like hell that mine too performs as it jolly well should. But that is besides the point, really.
It is not just mine but scores of others also whose XUVs are doing just as great. And its all dossiered out here. Mine was but just one quick example to quote...

On the first batch of XUVs, let me point out a very pertinent fact.
  • The first batch was a limited run edition, the bookings for which were open for barely 5-10 days if I recall correctly
  • The first batch vehicles had quality inconsistencies that were noted as niggles rather than any standard defined failure

Now for a recall to happen generally one of the noted features is a detection of some kind of a standard point of failure (many a time catastrophic failure) after which the manufacturer recalls the vehicles through an advertisement for refitting of the potential problem area.

In the case of XUV batch-1 there were tons of quality inconsistencies that were noted. However, there was no one common issue other than the brake grinding that was spotted across all the cars from the batch. Most were niggles that were getting fixed on the floor whenever customer was complaining on them. The Nippon center console ICE had a lot of issues and Nippon was coming up with upgrades almost on a monthly basis. As and when they were releasing the updates these limited set of customers were automatically getting the updates on their visit to the SS. The SS were all instructed to check for the version of the software on each vehicles arrival irrespective of any reported issue with the ICE. They were doing so and resolved all issues.

I do not know if the clutch issue was consistent as I dont think more than a section (say 20-30%) of people across the spectrum ever complained about it. While M&M bore all expenses including towing charges wherever such incidents happened may be there was a scope here for mass recall. Then again, do not know whether the clutches delivered under any particular batch number were all found to be consistently problematic or was that again a sporadic problem. If it was sporadic a recall may not always be the way out.

Overall, I still think there was no such consistent issues that "concerns passenger and third party safety on the road" as you put it were ever noted to warrant a recall of an entire batch.

Remember, this post of mine is about the difference between recall and FOC replacements that many manufacturers do. This post does not absolve M&M from the tons of inconsistencies that they blessed the initial batches of the XUVs with.

Last edited by Zappo : 5th October 2012 at 17:36.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 18:00   #1004
Team-BHP Support

Query on Service Timelines and how to manage it?

Dear owners, I have a query for each of you. Particularly the seasoned veterans (1 year is the most seasoned we can get anyhow). How are you managing the service schedules of your XUVs? And do not tell me each of you manage to run your vehicles unfailingly for 5000+ kms every 3 months?

For me, getting to clock my car 5000 kms every 3 months is proving herculean. Do not know what to do with this very peculiar service timings that M&M has devised in its infinite wisdom. Running 1700 kms every month is not something most private car owners will do. yes, once in a while I will do those real long runs and eat up a few thousand kms. However on a regular tri-monthly basis how do I clock so many kms and take the vehicle for the next service?

My second service will fall due later this month. And by the looks of it I will fall short of the required kms by 2500 kms by then. What do you guys do? Are you getting your XUVs serviced every 3 months religiously? How?
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 19:58   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath

I have had so many friends complain about them and have witnessed a few incidents as well. If you stay at the E city , you are better off at the SKS Automobiles off Hosur road. I know a TL there so let me know if you need any contacts there.
Dint know Sks was there on hosur road. Where exactly and pls share details of the TL. thanks

Fundag

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks