Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 00:59   #916
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanju Bedi View Post
Hi Samudra,

Can u pls elaborate on the noise from the engine bay? Was it a squealing kind of noise like a loose belt makes or something more mechanical? I face a similar problem, it happens b/w 4th -6th gears whenever pushed hard at low speeds. It stops immediately if you slot into a lower gear. For example, if I'm cruising at 60kmph in 5th & push down the pedal, the noise comes for a couple of secs & stops as the car picks up speed or if I slot it a gear lower. The dealership says its normal (probably the flywheel or the turbo making noise due to sudden extra load).

Tks
is it more like a whirring noise? I have observed this during my short 100 kms trip when I accelerated in 4th gear from a low speed. I have not heard this before, but guessing this is because the picking from low rpm on 4th gear, need to find out if it really has to do something with flywheel/turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
This is a niggle in the car and if you read the thread almost all users have reported it.
It has been called Torque Steer, a phenomenon associated with all front wheel drives. It is felt greater if your wheel is not fully straight while accelerating.
My personal opinion is that it doen't seem to be torque steer but a resonanting part in the engine or the power train. It is accompanied with mild vibrations in the gear lever too.
Whatever it is, I will not be too alarmed with it, as it looks harmless right now.
Cheers
PGA, I'm not suspecting this to be a torque steer. We are talking about some noise here, never heard torque steer would produce some kind of noise/sound. Like you said, many people have reported torque steer, but this thing doesn't have to do anything with the steering and I haven't heard/read about this being a niggle in the car reported by many, IMO.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 07:00   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride View Post
So I thought I will try out the "velcro" fix for the mat slip problem. However, I chose not to have the "loops" or the soft fabricy side of the velcro strip, just the "hooks" or the rough pricky side. Check the wikipedia link for what I mean by "hooks" and "loops" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velcro

The plan was to use the original fabric carpet of the vehicle to attach the "hooks" side of the velcro to, but the fear was that I may damage the carpet itself in the process. I tested it out first - using the velcro "hooks" side repeatedly on a small patch of the carpet under the front seats and found no damage to the carpet whatsoever. Also, the grip was even better than when used with the velcro strip's original "loops" or the soft side.
Did you try 3D Kagu mats? They use almost similiar technology for holding the mat to the floor and I never seen it moving from where you fix it. And they are tried and tested over a long period of time in field, hence could be more reliable than an DIY stuff. For XUV, the retail price of 3D would be around 5750 RS.

-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 11th September 2012 at 07:03.
Old 11th September 2012, 07:25   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanju Bedi View Post
I face a similar problem, it happens b/w 4th -6th gears whenever pushed hard at low speeds. It stops immediately if you slot into a lower gear. For example, if I'm cruising at 60kmph in 5th & push down the pedal, the noise comes for a couple of secs & stops as the car picks up speed or if I slot it a gear lower. The dealership says its normal (probably the flywheel or the turbo making noise due to sudden extra load).

Tks
Quote:
This is a niggle in the car and if you read the thread almost all users have reported it.
It has been called Torque Steer, a phenomenon associated with all front wheel drives. It is felt greater if your wheel is not fully straight while accelerating.
My personal opinion is that it doen't seem to be torque steer but a resonanting part in the engine or the power train. It is accompanied with mild vibrations in the gear lever too.
Whatever it is, I will not be too alarmed with it, as it looks harmless right now.
Cheers
Even my car has this problem - when accelerating hard from lower gears, you get this whirrrrrrrrr which stops as soon as the car reaches the proper rpm. I dont think that it is torque steer as the steering remains straight.

Quote:
I had a similar problem - June batch vehicle. The latch on the right door would get jammed and the door would not open. Spoke to my RM and he got it fixed in 20 mins - basically the mechanic at the dealer opened the door panel, took out the latching mechanism and sprayed it with a synthetic lubricant to smoothen out the latch mechanism. The problem has not re-surfaced since.
Even my car's rear right door wont open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
is it more like a whirring noise? I have observed this during my short 100 kms trip when I accelerated in 4th gear from a low speed. I have not heard this before, but guessing this is because the picking from low rpm on 4th gear, need to find out if it really has to do something with flywheel/turbo.
Bang on. Not just in fourth gear, you can try it in any gear... try accelerating hard at lower rpms.
Old 11th September 2012, 09:25   #919
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004

Even my car has this problem - when accelerating hard from lower gears, you get this whirrrrrrrrr which stops as soon as the car reaches the proper rpm.
Checked my car during the morning drive to the office. My observations are:
There is a sound which starts around 1000 rpm and lasts till about 1700 rpm.
It is a 'whrrrrrr/whistling' type of sound as if a fan is rotating at high speed.
It is not accompanied by any vibrations.
The sound is audible even when revving the engine while the vehicle is at rest.
AC on or off has no bearing on the sound.
Are we talking about this sound?
Old 11th September 2012, 10:06   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Even my car has this problem - when accelerating hard from lower gears, you get this whirrrrrrrrr which stops as soon as the car reaches the proper rpm. I dont think that it is torque steer as the steering remains straight.

Bang on. Not just in fourth gear, you can try it in any gear... try accelerating hard at lower rpms.
Slighty OT :
I had this similar problem in my elantra crdi.

is it any way related to the clutch mechanism? This happens usually when you accelerate from low rpms <1400 to higher rpm in 3rd gear and above.

In elantra it used to start from 1800rpm till 2000 rpm and then after no such sound.
Old 11th September 2012, 20:31   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Checked my car during the morning drive to the office. My observations are:
There is a sound which starts around 1000 rpm and lasts till about 1700 rpm.
It is a 'whrrrrrr/whistling' type of sound as if a fan is rotating at high speed.
It is not accompanied by any vibrations.
The sound is audible even when revving the engine while the vehicle is at rest.
AC on or off has no bearing on the sound.
Are we talking about this sound?
No, more than sound, I am talking about vibrations which creep in the cabin.

Definitely not the sound which you are talking about... even that is present in my car, but its so feeble that it is not an irritant.
Old 11th September 2012, 22:05   #922
PGA
BHPian

Quote:

Definitely not the sound which you are talking about... even that is present in my car, but its so feeble that it is not an irritant.
Thanks for the clarification, this was the sound I was talking about in my earlier post, so called torque steer. It was very much present in my car earlier but I couldn't reproduce it today. Great if it has vanished on its own in 7500km of running in my car. Anyway will keep a lookout for it though.
Old 11th September 2012, 23:09   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, this was the sound I was talking about in my earlier post, so called torque steer. It was very much present in my car earlier but I couldn't reproduce it today. Great if it has vanished on its own in 7500km of running in my car. Anyway will keep a lookout for it though.
Ok, I'd like to interrupt here for a couple of things.

1> Torque Steer doesn't have any sort of sound/noise as part of its symptoms, to me, its more of a condition where vehicle may have unpredictable behavior. If I'm correct, this has nothing to do with any sound/noise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steer

I have not felt this so far during my 3 months ownership, this could be because of the driving style, I avoid accelerating hard/breaking hard almost all the time possible.

2> The sound you are talking about, if its more of a whistling sound and not a mechanical whirring sound, its a famous turbo sound that everyone talks about and get addicted after a while. So, we consider that a sound and not a nose, starts at around 1500rpm and a resonating whistle sound it makes.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 23:30   #924
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you get it checked thoroughly. My first batch XUV don't have any vibrations at all. I even find it far better than verna that had those 'feel' of torque if I used to accelerate from lower rpms. Even my central rear view mirror used to vibrate in verna as if some high voltage was passing through it. But nothing of that sort in my XUV though.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 14:53   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Did you try 3D Kagu mats? They use almost similiar technology for holding the mat to the floor and I never seen it moving from where you fix it. And they are tried and tested over a long period of time in field, hence could be more reliable than an DIY stuff. For XUV, the retail price of 3D would be around 5750 RS.

-HCP
The problem was that in Hyderabad I could not find the 3D mats for less than 7500; hence opted for the DIY solution. Ultimately the OEM fabric mats will wear out and I plan to put in the 3d Maxspiders then.
Old 12th September 2012, 17:00   #926
BHPian

Quote:
The problem was that in Hyderabad I could not find the 3D mats for less than 7500; hence opted for the DIY solution. Ultimately the OEM fabric mats will wear out and I plan to put in the 3d Maxspiders then.
hmm.. 7500 is a bit expensive as the folks from bangalore/mumbai seem to have got hold of these mats for around 6K. Can you tell me which accessory dealers you inquired with? BalenoBoy has referred me to a shop on minister road which he says is reasonable.. I plan to check that out and will avoid the ones where you have already tried..
Old 12th September 2012, 18:37   #927
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
hmm.. 7500 is a bit expensive as the folks from bangalore/mumbai seem to have got hold of these mats for around 6K. Can you tell me which accessory dealers you inquired with? BalenoBoy has referred me to a shop on minister road which he says is reasonable.. I plan to check that out and will avoid the ones where you have already tried..
Even in Mumbai, it costs ~7250Rs. Raj_5004 got them recently.
7500 is just too much. Even on ebay, with shipping charges included it costs less than 7500.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 18:53   #928
PGA
BHPian

Hi
I have some doubts about my car, I will be grateful if someone could throw some light, literally.

Firstly what do projector headlamps mean. Which of the two lights ie high or low beam has a projection system. If there is indeed some kind of projection then there ought to be a focussing mechanism? As I feel my headlights in the low beam do not have enough luminosity.

Second doubt is that I have been advised that the engine bay should not be pressure washed because of electronics involved. Any inputs on this issue? I have a garage owner close to my residence who is obliged to me and believes in giving my car a good wash all over everytime I am around.

I will be grateful for the inputs.
Cheers
Old 12th September 2012, 20:10   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I have some doubts about my car, I will be grateful if someone could throw some light, literally.

Firstly what do projector headlamps mean. Which of the two lights ie high or low beam has a projection system. If there is indeed some kind of projection then there ought to be a focussing mechanism? As I feel my headlights in the low beam do not have enough luminosity.

Second doubt is that I have been advised that the engine bay should not be pressure washed because of electronics involved. Any inputs on this issue? I have a garage owner close to my residence who is obliged to me and believes in giving my car a good wash all over everytime I am around.

I will be grateful for the inputs.
Cheers
Based on the little I know, projector headlamps have got a specialized reflector system, it generally has a lens in front of the filament that directs the light coming from the reflector assembly and this powerful reflector with the help of lens then, provides the focused beam.
XUV has got the projectors on low beams. It also has some kind of cutoff device in between that prevents the light going above certain level and prevents blinding of oncoming vehicles, this is the one that creates a triangle kind of shape if you notice your low beams in dark, we were confusing that with some kind of glitch in the system, discussed earlier in this thread.
This cutoff shade really works great! I have seen it illuminates the area in focus but I have hardly seen it going directly into the eyes of a person in the oncoming vehicle or a person walking towards the vehicle for almost 99% of time. I loved this safety feature they have provided.
However, at the same time, the aim of the low beam is not enough for expressway driving speeds and you have to keep using the high beams or sometimes, keep it ON for longer for better illumination. I'm planning to get the aim adjusted during the first service so that I can avoid that issue.

When you say your headlights in low beam isn't that effective, are you talking about the aim/throw/reach that the low beam provides or the amount of illumination is what you are concerned with.

I have not had any issues with the amount of illumination it has but the aim as I mentioned earlier during the expressway speeds. If that's the same case with you, get them adjusted. If you are concerned about the illumination, get the bulbs checked and replaced if needed. I have read a few guys on this thread experienced that their bulbs got weaken over a period of time and they replaced them, I'm yet to see that issue if it really a design issue.

Don't have very specific information about the XUV on your second question, but I generally follow the universal rule and wouldn't let anyone use pressure wash unless I know for sure about the result.

edit: you can refer this for more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlam...oidal.29_lamps

Also,

I asked this question earlier as well. Has anyone added HIDs to the low beams on XUV yet? I want some details whether the projectors given on XUV are specific to BiHalogen only or can also be used with HIDs!!! I've HIDs from my old car and I'm contemplating to put them on low beam to see if that makes any difference and going to get me a better aim on highways? If I do so, do I have to put ballasts as well (I had to put on my old car)?

Last edited by Ketan : 12th September 2012 at 20:24.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 22:29   #930
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan

When you say your headlights in low beam isn't that effective, are you talking about the aim/throw/reach that the low beam provides or the amount of illumination is what you are concerned with
Thanks a lot Ketan, that was an elaborate and enlightening response.
My problem with headlights is only in low beam I feel the brightness/intensity is less, especially for highwy driving. Yes you are very right about that black wedge, it is a welcome safety feature and I have seen other road users dipping their lights when they see the xuv comming ahead only because low beam is very comforting to an oncomming vehicle as well if you are following one from behind.

Sorry, Ihave no idea about HID lamps, but are these the ones which throw bright white scaterring light. I have seen some xuvs using them.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks