Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 15:29   #706
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Even I had assumed the same.
When you think logically,
1. The current system is as good (or as bad) as an overheat-indicator that is found in some cars (e.g. Figo) in place of a proper temperature-gauge. A link to related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ge-yes-no.html
2. If the 6 blue LEDs are always supposed to be lit together, you don't need 6 LEDs, just a single big one would do.

Let me check with my RM as well over the weekend.
This is from the XUV android application. Hope it clarifies.

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv_temp_display.png
tachobells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 16:10   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Please keep a close watch on this, I had a similar issue with my Scorpio and had a close call when the vehicle slipped into neutral while overtaking at high speed. The A.S.S. took is lightly, but the issue was persistant, so I had to escalate to M&M senior management and ultimately the gear box had to be replaced.
Did you seriously have to get your gearbox replaced . Wow !! This car is full of surprises.

Mine, by the way, is at the workshop for the past week. Picture this; a group of motley engineers, some from the workshop and some from the plant, all gathered around this patient with a strange and rare disease (only a persistant khat khat sound from rear suspension somwhere). Doctors, we have replaced everything we could, the shockers, the brakes, the nuts and bolts. We have removed all the seats, we have checked the AC cooling coils. What could it be Doctors?

Argh, it appears to be some sort of a genetic defect fellows. This one was messed up at birth.

But what do we do now Doctor. It keeps coming back every few weeks. We have to do something. Can we simply replace it and give the parents a new baby?

Oh no. Never. Do that once and you will have a ward full of rejects before you can say cheetah !

Then what Doctors? What do we do? Lets see. That wire running from the front to the back, lets yank it out and see. Maybe its only the handbrake wire. Wont trigger any lights or alarms on the console and who needs these handbrake things anyway.

Good. Now, testdrive again.

The mystery continues...
JeepSomeday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 16:16   #708
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post

Attachment 963773
I am very confused. So instead of a simple temperature guage with blue for cold, orange/yellow for normal, and red for warning, with an indicator for overhating(shut down engine now), they have implemented a complicated system with LED blinking frequency.
Its like replacing the fuel guage with a led that blinks Morse code to tell you about the amount of fuel left in tank.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 16:42   #709
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post

Attachment 963773
Thanks for clarifying!
On a separate note, WOW, whoever conceptualized this needs to be given "Design of the year" award!

Whatever happened to intuitive, simple user interfaces!

PS: Let me look up the owner's manual to see if the same explanation is mentioned in the manual as well.
Old 31st July 2012, 16:48   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday View Post
Did you seriously have to get your gearbox replaced . Wow !! This car is full of surprises.

Mine, by the way, is at the workshop for the past week. Picture this; a group of motley engineers, some from the workshop and some from the plant, all gathered around this patient with a strange and rare disease (only a persistant khat khat sound from rear suspension somwhere). Doctors, we have replaced everything we could, the shockers, the brakes, the nuts and bolts. We have removed all the seats, we have checked the AC cooling coils. What could it be Doctors?

Argh, it appears to be some sort of a genetic defect fellows. This one was messed up at birth.

But what do we do now Doctor. It keeps coming back every few weeks. We have to do something. Can we simply replace it and give the parents a new baby?
To reiterate the issue happened with my Scorpio (I guess it the the same 140 BHP tuned engine and similar gear box in XUV5OO), the gear box was replaced (after 6 months of purchase) and allegedly taken to Nasik to the R&D department.
And my Scorp was also born defective and almost every thing major except body, chessis, and engine was replaced over the first year of ownership (including all 4 tyres)

All the best with yours, I doubt they will replace the baby, but don't forget to keep the higher up's in M&M updated on your plight on mail / twitter / Fb etc.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st August 2012 at 05:27. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 31st July 2012, 17:34   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSomeday

Please note this above post is in reference to his scorpio not XUV.
Old 31st July 2012, 19:44   #712
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its like replacing the fuel guage with a led that blinks Morse code to tell you about the amount of fuel left in tank.

Thats some example you thought of... really. Imagine if that were the case. You will always be guessing how much fuel is left. Or else become a morse code expert.

On a serious note, it is possibly how the thing is. I know that when I start running the entire blue area shows lit up. Only, I need to check whether this is immediate or takes some time to happen. And then somewhere down the drive the entire blue and red is lit up. So then how does the overheating shows up? Dont know... Neither want to find out. But guess, irrespective of how complex it sounds the day you are in soup and that slow flashing with a gong or whatever accompanying sound happens (read after posting this; no sound it seems!), you will not need any manual. You will know by instinct that the sh*t is about to hit the fan.

So net net, it achieves its objective and yet keeping to the M&M traditions it is also... ummm esoteric, is the word? Look at the M&M dashboards (Scorp) or the vents for the cool air. Everything is outlandish and "different". Its but natural that even the gauge had to be "different" then.

Last edited by Zappo : 31st July 2012 at 19:46.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 22:43   #713
BHPian

somehow returning back to this thread after a gap in which I had kinda, sorta, maybe tilted in favour of booking this car over the Duster.

and then I read the new set of complaints in the old owners and old set of complaints in the new owners!

arre baba, WHAT KINDA DAMNED CAR IS THIS???!! (throws head in abject exasperation )

Last edited by BUXX : 31st July 2012 at 22:45.
Old 31st July 2012, 22:58   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP
Anybody else noticed this in their XUVs? Or is this specific to my vehicle?
+1 to that

I too get the same display

It doesn't really matter as long as we are in the green (blue) zone
vaibhavdalal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 01:37   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
And then somewhere down the drive the entire blue and red is lit up. So then how does the overheating shows up? Dont know...
Basically it's a multistep system.
1. If it remains all blue no worries at all, continue driving carelessly
2. If red indicators also illuminate it's a warning that engine is running hotter than normal. But still it's not worrisome. So continue driving with a but of caution.
3. If red light blinks slowly it's a warning sign that the temperature is at it's threshold and we should rather stop and wait to it to cool down and should positively check coolant levels in reservoir.
4. If red light blinks fast it's a sign of a failure of the system and driving further will damage the engine.

Personally, my car (even it has reached 96 degrees) has never showed the steady red indicator (2nd step) ever in my around 9 months and 20000 KM ownership.
I also think it would have been better if the blue LEDs were step based and not always all on.

Last edited by rohitbagai : 1st August 2012 at 01:40.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 08:56   #716
Senior - BHPian

Going by that image, I am assuming that Blue and Red are lit temporary and just before you crank. The Red should go out after cranking. Is this correct? But Yes; the Blue should gradually rise to indicate engine warm up.

Mahindra have made what is supposed to be a very simple thing to execute, a complicated one. Frankly, I don't want to be reading the manual to understand how a temperature gauge works. This should be as simple as it can get.

I don't find a needle on the rpm gauge. How is rpm indicated on a Xuv? I had gone with a friend for a test drive. As a passenger, I did not pay attention to the gauges and how they relayed information.
Old 1st August 2012, 09:00   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
somehow returning back to this thread after a gap in which I had kinda, sorta, maybe tilted in favour of booking this car over the Duster.

and then I read the new set of complaints in the old owners and old set of complaints in the new owners!

arre baba, WHAT KINDA DAMNED CAR IS THIS???!! (throws head in abject exasperation )
My sentiments exactly.
Just when you think M&M has perhaps sorted out the issues in the latest batch....Whamm-comes the old niggles in new guises.
The only worrying ones are-
1.Brakes-noises/lockups
2.Gearbox-slippages/notchy shift action
3.Clutch-failures(The worst issue in XUV so far)
4.Wipers-badly scratching the windscreens(Poor quality wipers)
5.Headlights-intensity low after a while usage(Poor stock bulbs?)
6.Electronics-going kaput!/erratic behaviour
So whats left!!!
Old 1st August 2012, 09:31   #718
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Going by that image, I am assuming that Blue and Red are lit temporary and just before you crank. The Red should go out after cranking. Is this correct? But Yes; the Blue should gradually rise to indicate engine warm up.

Mahindra have made what is supposed to be a very simple thing to execute, a complicated one. Frankly, I don't want to be reading the manual to understand how a temperature gauge works. This should be as simple as it can get.
Yes, your understanding is correct. The picture posted earlier is during the start-up when the needles do the tango. Once you have cranked the engine, the rpm settles at around 750-800 level and the temp-gauge looks like the picture below:
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-dsc_1135.jpg

The blue should gradually rise up. It doesn't. Its permanently lit. Looks like its not a malfunction, just a weird design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

I don't find a needle on the rpm gauge. How is rpm indicated on a Xuv? I had gone with a friend for a test drive. As a passenger, I did not pay attention to the gauges and how they relayed information.
The needle that you see outside the temp-gauge is the RMP meter.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 09:37   #719
BHPian

@ princey :
^^ exactly... I mean even if the Service centre is able to fix these issues; they are gonna fix it with the same poor quality components that are prone to fail again.
All of the replacements are good & free in the Warranty period, but what happens when it's over in 2 years??
Not to mention after spending close to 15 lacs, one expects a certain level of ownership experience. And not just the "New Car Smell".
Certainly not something that is worse than your current ownership ( I now feel pampered to drive my 6 year old Santro after reading through all this! )

And everything else I can live with: but issues like AC Blowers conking off, Indicators not working, Poor scratchy wipers and lastly Clutch failures.
I mean, if Scorpio had the same issue multiple times as m_upreti tells us, then what assures potential buyers that the new Clutch design will be foolproof and not fail again??
For the record, we had a Fiat, Omni Van, Alto, Santro and god knows how many other cars in the extended family ; but never had a single issue with the Mechanicals failing us like this !! )

Last edited by BUXX : 1st August 2012 at 09:44.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:22   #720
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...arre baba, WHAT KINDA DAMNED CAR IS THIS???!! (throws head in abject exasperation )
Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
My sentiments exactly.
Just when you think M&M has perhaps sorted out the issues in the latest batch....Whamm-comes the old niggles in new guises.
The only worrying ones are-
1.Brakes-noises/lockups
2.Gearbox-slippages/notchy shift action
3.Clutch-failures(The worst issue in XUV so far)
4.Wipers-badly scratching the windscreens(Poor quality wipers)
5.Headlights-intensity low after a while usage(Poor stock bulbs?)
6.Electronics-going kaput!/erratic behaviour
So whats left!!!
Love reading such posts regularly on this thread. They do appear after every 2-3 pages. If at all, these posts indicate the kind of love-hate relationship that the XUV5OO enjoys with owners and prospective owners.

It would be an interesting statistics to find out how many TBHPians who bought the XUV5OO have actually sold it off.

Quote:
@ princey :
^^ exactly... I mean even if the Service centre is able to fix these issues; they are gonna fix it with the same poor quality components that are prone to fail again.
All of the replacements are good & free in the Warranty period, but what happens when it's over in 2 years??
And everything else I can live with: but issues like AC Blowers conking off, Indicators not working, Poor scratchy wipers and lastly Clutch failures.
I mean, if Scorpio had the same issue multiple times as m_upreti tells us, then what assures potential buyers that the new Clutch design will be foolproof and not fail again??
A headlight unit on XUV5OO has an MRP of around 12K. The actual procurement cost for Mahindras would be a fraction of the MRP, but it is still a cost. So when Mahindra is doing free-of-cost replacements of the headlight during the warranty period for a good number of vehicles that have reported some or the other problem with the headlights, Mahindras have to be really idiotic not to understand the trend and take a corrective action to improve the quality of the part in question.
Either a part has a faulty design, or its a faulty piece from a batch.
If its a faulty design, a better design is the way to go and Mahindras are taking this route for the brake-pad issue.
If it is a faulty piece, it indicates that the QC at the entry point (when Mahindras receive the part from the supplier) is not effective. This is again something that you can easily do a trend-analysis for and take appropriate corrective actions with the supplier (as well as tighten up acceptance criteria at the entry gate).

I don't believe any manufacturer would be stupid enough not to do anything about the frequently reported complaints and just wait for warranty-period to get over. That's like digging your own grave.

If I remember correctly, in m_upreti's Scorpio practically everything has been changed during the warranty period. It would be interesting to understand if he has seen any parts failing after the warranty period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
To reiterate the issue happened with my Scorpio (I guess it the the same 140 BHP tuned engine and similar gear box in XUV5OO), the gear box was replaced (after 6 months of purchase) and allegedly taken to Nasik to the R&D department.
And my Scorp was also born defective and almost every thing major except body, chessis, and engine was replaced over the first year of ownership (including all 4 tyres)

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd August 2012 at 08:22.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks