Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 22:25   #661
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonak159 View Post
Isn't it surprising that a car with so many issues is still going great guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I have herd of that too, in my own organization, someone bought an XUV and on highway the brakes almost failed on highway speeds.
Unfortunately the average car buyer is NOT matued enough (but slowly maturing) to buy a car in india. He looks at the Features to Price ONLY on most ocassions but not at more critical things like safety-reliability etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why do they short change their own countrymen with sub standard rubbish while giving special treatment to Phoren markets? Till the government steps in and makes safety mandatory, these manufacturers will always take short cuts for local sales.
Actually india is price conscious. If XUV were priced couple of lacs more, it would have been a sales Dud. I agree to the part that Govt must safety (Airbags,ABS) Mandatory on all cars A.K.A US/Europe.
Old 24th July 2012, 23:01   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Sathya, Are you talking about this dark spot ? Im having thisone from day one, and the RM and service team says, M&M hasnt been able to figure it out. I drive with the dark triangle on my RHS ever since .

Attachment 961187

SDP, my RHS led conked off ... Now i realise many things have conked off
Mnnubhai but where is your left side lower beam?? In the pic, i can see only the righthand side beam with that triangle but no left beam
Old 25th July 2012, 01:26   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Hey, thanks for clarifying. I believe I have the same problem. Would take a pic for sharing and would also try to debug.
I too reported that during my first/second week of ownership. That looks to be a safety feature but at the same time it doesn't provide good illumination on highway speeds.

I can clearly see that the lower beams creating a very good focused illumination in such a way that if an oncoming person, walking or driving at around 50-80 meters range or so, he want get blinded due to the light, I can see that clearly since the face of a person is outside the illuminated area while he is within certain distance from the car. This prevents blinding of oncoming vehicles and superb lighting (I feel XUV has good/powerful lights in the category) in area its required to be.

However, at the highway speeds, this throw is definitely short when I was driving on NH7. I had to use the high beams very frequently to illuminate the area beyond certain distance, since they have prevented the throw beyond certain distance, the low beam isn't effective. I have had a couple of sudden surprises when I was driving around 70-80 kmps on Kanakpura road (some sudden sharp turns) and had to turn the high beam ON all the time (which again is very useful and strong light illuminating real good distance while driving, but may annoy the oncoming vehicles). All this experienced while the low beam level adjust set to 0 (highest possible level). This is a feature. Guys who always keep the high beam ON during highway drives, may not even feel this. short throw on highway is a bigger concern compared to that triangle or so called blind spot.

I'm planning to get this fixed during my next visit to SC. However, I was waiting for an update from Naveen or till the time I look at the manual for such an option so that we can adjust it DIY, I want to keep this low beam a bit higher than the current 0 settings with level adjust set to 3. so, when I set it to 0, it should really help me on highways, during high speeds, covering good distance with the throw.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 08:12   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
I too have observed this batch patch at the start of the throw in my XUV. I was under the impression that it was one among the myriad features of the Cheetah :-) . Thanks for bringing this up. I will ask the RM to look into it during the next visit to the service center.
Did you ask the Service Center folks to raise the low beam? The reason why I am asking is, in the original position (factory position) of the low beam, I did not have any black patch immediately after the car. I had the patch like what Mannu has shown.

Quote:
Sathya, Are you talking about this dark spot ? Im having thisone from day one, and the RM and service team says, M&M hasnt been able to figure it out. I drive with the dark triangle on my RHS ever since
This was the one I had before I adjusted the light - low beam. Now after raising the low beam manually from the engine compartment, I do not have this patch any more. The throw is good or even superb. I rarely go high beam now.

But the guys at the SC have raised the light a little too much, so that I have a mild dark area immediately after the car which goes away if I switch on the fog lamps.

Yesterday, was driving back from office at 11PM and found the lights (low beam) to be very comfortable along with fog lights. Just that I need to lower the beam a little bit if I have to stay comfortable without the fogs. I will be along with the SC folks next time when they adjust, so that I can adjust this as a DIY if I want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Sathya,
Yea, I asked them to do the same in front of me & saw the position of the screw. Will try to take a picture of the same location & post it here.
Was fairly easy, must say.
Meanwhile, you can try to do a little bit from inside the cabin. The vertical rollbar on the right side (near to diesel tank open button). If you want to lower the beam - please try to go to position that's numbered 3 against it. 3 is the lowest beam possible that can be done from inside.
0 is the highest in terms of beam.
Naveen, if you can post a pic, it would be great. It would help me avoid a trip to the SC. The one inside in the cabin only adjusts the high beam.
Old 25th July 2012, 08:22   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Did you ask the Service Center folks to raise the low beam? The reason why I am asking is, in the original position (factory position) of the low beam, I did not have any black patch immediately after the car. I had the patch like what Mannu has shown.
Nope, This is the factory position for my vehicle.

-- Wind
Old 25th July 2012, 12:25   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post

Naveen, if you can post a pic, it would be great. It would help me avoid a trip to the SC. The one inside in the cabin only adjusts the high beam.
I don't think so - from cabin we can change both high & low beams (as far as I know) !! pls enlighten
Old 25th July 2012, 14:35   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
I don't think so - from cabin we can change both high & low beams (as far as I know) !! pls enlighten
Yup, you can adjust both from within the cabin. Try and do that during the night when car is stand still position, you will can see that low beam aim is moving nearer/farther. I saw tried this driving on an empty road and could see the difference for low beams.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 21:34   #668
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
SDP,

Im talking about the area beyond the blue line. Thats the dark triangle formed. It is not visible in high beam though.

To add, the photo was taken under diary circle, and the light was pointed towards slight elevation. On a normal even road, the dark portion is menacing. Especially when one is driving along side the divider, and when those stones are left over on the road, you tend to not see them due to the lack of light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Folks, I have this exact issue. I checked in atleast 10 other vehicles - all of them have the same issue. I dont know if its by design (or) yet another niggle.
Here's a snap taken today. Notice how the right hand side headlight throw is clipped? I am going to get it checked. Hopefully adjusting the bulb/housing should solve the problem.

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-dsc_1152.jpg

PS: Photo taken with the headlight leveler on 2 or 3 (in a empty vehicle). With the setting on zero, the clipped portion appears farther away and is noticeable only if you are a keen observer.

Last edited by SDP : 26th July 2012 at 21:48.
Old 26th July 2012, 23:25   #669
BHPian

Has anybody tried installing an auto dimming mirror on the XUV? Given the high usage of the high beam in our country, this can be a safety/convenience feature.
Old 26th July 2012, 23:30   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Here's a snap taken today. Notice how the right hand side headlight throw is clipped? I am going to get it checked. Hopefully adjusting the bulb/housing should solve the problem.

Attachment 962182

PS: Photo taken with the headlight leveler on 2 or 3 (in a empty vehicle). With the setting on zero, the clipped portion appears farther away and is noticeable only if you are a keen observer.
This is a headlight design with an aim to prevent the headlight beams from hitting someone from the opposite. Had the same doubt however the RM showed me about 10 XUVs and then explained that it was a deliberate design. So not a niggle.(Thank God some would say )
pavan15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 23:43   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Notice how the right hand side headlight throw is clipped? I am going to get it checked. Hopefully adjusting the bulb/housing should solve the problem.
There are guidelines which stipulate the beam throw pattern in cars keeping in mind road safety and the glare that comes on to the opposite traffic. The RH beam is thereby clipped by design. If you were to go to a LHD country, you would find the LH beam clipped.

Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the regulation part of the link.
neel385 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 12:06   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
There are guidelines which stipulate the beam throw pattern in cars keeping in mind road safety and the glare that comes on to the opposite traffic. The RH beam is thereby clipped by design. If you were to go to a LHD country, you would find the LH beam clipped.

Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the regulation part of the link.
Thanks Guys! THis was useful information and I think a very good feature that will help oncoming vehicles. I am not sure if the other manufacturers in India also do this by design. I have not noticed this onother cars. I find the lack of knowledge and high usage of high beam very irritating. High beams are a pain and everyone seems to enjoy using them in cities thereby turning night driving a pain for many folks. I wish there was increased awareness on this topic!
Old 27th July 2012, 15:25   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
I am not sure if the other manufacturers in India also do this by design. I have not noticed this onother cars.
The reason for that is that beam dispersion pattern control is much easier in projector lamps like in the XUV than in pure reflector headlights. You will find implementation good in almost all projector headlamps, while in the reflectors the implementation is not as exact.
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 00:47   #674
BHPian

I got delivery of my XUV W8 on saturday 21st july, and its going to be a week tomorrow. I booked the XUV on 5th june itself, paid the 40,000/- booking amount but it was debited from my a/c only on the 9th of june from the dealership here. I had requested the RM to get me a june manufactured model if possible but to my utter surprise, on checking the VIN number, i can confirm that its a JULY make.
I have driven it 400 kms till now and am extremely satisfied as of now. The ride and handling is awesome along with with the 'petrol car' like driving characteristics. I wont elaborate any further on the pros cos each BHPian already knows that :P . Its my family's 1st diesel car and 1st SUV and i have only previously driven an SUV just once, a humble Tata Sumo at that. Here are my take on some of the niggles i have faced-

1. I have been unable to close the front doors properly. I need to apply a lot of force when closing the doors , else they dont shut properly, I have travelled in a lot of cars and SUV's and this is the 1st time i have to apply all my force to close the front doors properly.
2. I can confirm that i can feel the rotation of the steering wheel on my left foot when i depress the clutch fully when taking a turn, apparently it hasn't been solved yet.
3.My HTC phone refuses to connect via BT to the ICE, although i was successful in connecting my mom's Samsung Wave 2.
4. There is a rattling sound from the right rear passenger door whenever there is an irregularity in the road. Initially i though it was the seat belt(metal part) touchnig the door, but it was not. It seems like there is a loose nut/bolt, but not sure.

There is no squeaking sound from the brakes whatsoever, on both gradual and sudden usage.No outside smell either when AC is in recirculation mode. No rusting in any part, inside or outside or the brakes or the door hinges. IMO 1st gear slots perfectly into the gates but 2nd gear takes a bit more force and is a bit notchy compared to the rest, but i sure can live with it.
Seriously i have no issue with Headlamp low beam throw and the triangle shaped dark area, and i can confidently say i find the visibility as good as any car i have ever driven, if not better.
Overall its been a fantastic experience so far and i just love my new ride. I will keep updating about any new niggles etc. but i touchwood i won't need to. I have an 1800 km trip planned next weekend and will see how it goes.
Thanks
abhinavinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 03:39   #675
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
A funny incident happened with my xuv tonight. I was at a fuel pump to refuel and as soon as i tried releasing the fuel lid by pressing the button , funilly enough the button was nowhere to be found instead of button a wide hole could only be found. Realized that the button has caved in and the lid can no more be opened. .....
Any such occurences with any of you guys?
Quote:
Had a feeling of deja-vu when I read this. Even I am looking at a gaping hole where the button has been once upon a time.
Here's my contribution to the niggles thread:
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-dsc_1136.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks