Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 19:48   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper

The guys who already replaced the clutch assembly, can you please provide a feedback on how do you compare the clutch behavior after the replacement?
It's butter smooth now after replacement. Even the gearshift has improved. I found the older one also at acceptable levels. But the new one is as light as a petrol sedan's.
One thing I have noticed on the new setup is that if I start the car the clutch has a play of about an inch or two. But when I accelerate at about 2K in a gear the play is not there. Is it something normal ?
rohitbagai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 19:56   #497
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
It's butter smooth now after replacement. Even the gearshift has improved. I found the older one also at acceptable levels. But the new one is as light as a petrol sedan's.
One thing I have noticed on the new setup is that if I start the car the clutch has a play of about an inch or two. But when I accelerate at about 2K in a gear the play is not there. Is it something normal ?
I have reported about this initial free play the next day I took the delivery on this thread. I have not noticed it much once running (may not be concentrating) but as you said, I have observed the free play in the clutch you are talkinb about, I asked about this same thing to the technician yesterday and he told me that the new car/technology are like this only, I thought he is trying to give one more 'goli' but then here even I dont have much knowledge and I kept quiet again for a different reason.

I have smooth clutch and gear shift, except that the gear shift is bity notchy for the first gear only when you try to down shift from 2nd while car is in speed (I gues this could be normal), it works perfectly fine whne I move from stand still.

That free-play is good and has to be there. This also talks about the one for breaks that kind of answers HCP's question/experience on free-play on break. Also, at the same time it talks about how much it shuld be and why more of it may not be good (it talks about jeeps, I guess it still applies here!).
http://www.42fordgpw.com/freeplay.html

Last edited by Ketan : 19th June 2012 at 20:10. Reason: added the link
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 21:51   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
The guys who already replaced the clutch assembly, can you please provide a feedback on how do you compare the clutch behavior after the replacement?
The new clutch in my XUV is just slick. I have been using it for the past 3 months or so (I was the first in Bangalore to get the new kit). I drove the car for about 3-4K miles with the new clutch.. Its like night and day
sheelapratosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 23:02   #499
BHPian

Has anyone made a PDI checklist for XUV 500 ?
Old 20th June 2012, 00:02   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post
Has anyone made a PDI checklist for XUV 500 ?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ist-v1.00.xlsx
Ketan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2012, 08:24   #501
BHPian

Quote:
In other cars I have driven the clutch and brake behavior will not change according to engine speed. In a way it is dangerous too. I don't believe this to be working as per design. Did you consult the RM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have smooth clutch and gear shift, except that the gear shift is bity notchy for the first gear only when you try to down shift from 2nd while car is in speed (I gues this could be normal), it works perfectly fine whne I move from stand still.

That free-play is good and has to be there. This also talks about the one for breaks that kind of answers HCP's question/experience on free-play on break. Also, at the same time it talks about how much it shuld be and why more of it may not be good (it talks about jeeps, I guess it still applies here!).
Clutch and Brake Pedal Free Play
Even in my car the gear shift seems to be fine. As you said there is a little hardness when down shifting to second or first. But I can live with it.

Thanks for the link Ketan. Even this article tells that 1/2 inch is what acceptable for brake. But in my case there is no braking action even after more than an inch. But all other cars I have driven(with ABS and EBD ) the brake pedal free play is around one cm. In my Optra the manual says brake play should be 8mm to 10mm. In XUV manual, I didn't notice anything talking about brake play. At least M&M can clarify this to the customers that X mm is the design so that it will be clarified. But that is not happening and technicians deriving new theories by themselves.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 20th June 2012 at 08:30.
Old 20th June 2012, 11:47   #502
BHPian

HCP, I know yours is a APR Manufactured vehicle. Hope its correct.. Apart from the software issues you have specified, how is the feel of the clutch. I drove my vehicle yesterday (W6 Apr Manufactured) and I felt the clutch was smooth as silk. Gears were engaging without any sort of difficulty.

There was no hardness of sort in the clutch. Even my Petrol Linea feels a little heavy when compared to the drive I had on the XUV.

Can you throw some light on your Clutch behavior? soft / hard?
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 09:07   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
HCP, I know yours is a APR Manufactured vehicle. Hope its correct.. Apart from the software issues you have specified, how is the feel of the clutch. I drove my vehicle yesterday (W6 Apr Manufactured) and I felt the clutch was smooth as silk. Gears were engaging without any sort of difficulty.

There was no hardness of sort in the clutch. Even my Petrol Linea feels a little heavy when compared to the drive I had on the XUV.

Can you throw some light on your Clutch behavior? soft / hard?
My car just finished 1000 Kms yesterday so it is too early to comment on clutch part. As of now my vehicle clutch is smooth comparing to other diesel cars of similiar torque. If you are familiar with Cruze clutch, it is much more smother than that. There is no hardness felt till now. My issue was about soft brake and free play for brake lever.

Though I was always afraid of clutch issues and as per my RM, April manufactured cars having modified clutch design already. But I happend to see an April manufactured car with open clutch assembly due to clutch fail in workshop. So I strongly believe that the clutch issue would be there in April vehicles. Only time will prove.

Other than the above said issue there are minor glitches like Vehicle pulling left (solved), Security alarm triggered by itself without any reason (solved), driver seat squeaking (Earlier I had reported this as center console, even to the workshop, so that could be a reason why it was not addressed, but now I figured out it is the driver seat ), tail gate squeaking (not reported to workshop yet) etc.

Infotainment system is working pretty well expect 3 times it rebooted out of which 1 time it happened after the software upgrade too. But I am not really worried about this as it can be fixed without dismantling anything.

Braking noise is present in my car, also car failed to filter out minor road irregularities that anyone would expect it would handle well in a 16 lakhs car.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 21st June 2012 at 09:09.
Old 21st June 2012, 13:57   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
My car just finished 1000 Kms yesterday so it is too early to comment on clutch part. As of now my vehicle clutch is smooth comparing to other diesel cars of similiar torque. If you are familiar with Cruze clutch, it is much more smother than that. There is no hardness felt till now. My issue was about soft brake and free play for brake lever.

Though I was always afraid of clutch issues and as per my RM, April manufactured cars having modified clutch design already. But I happend to see an April manufactured car with open clutch assembly due to clutch fail in workshop. So I strongly believe that the clutch issue would be there in April vehicles. Only time will prove.

Other than the above said issue there are minor glitches like Vehicle pulling left (solved), Security alarm triggered by itself without any reason (solved), driver seat squeaking (Earlier I had reported this as center console, even to the workshop, so that could be a reason why it was not addressed, but now I figured out it is the driver seat ), tail gate squeaking (not reported to workshop yet) etc.

Infotainment system is working pretty well expect 3 times it rebooted out of which 1 time it happened after the software upgrade too. But I am not really worried about this as it can be fixed without dismantling anything.

Braking noise is present in my car, also car failed to filter out minor road irregularities that anyone would expect it would handle well in a 16 lakhs car.
I am taking my car in the next 2 hrs and straight driving it for 2000kms round trip and coming back to Chennai only by Wednesday. The car will see some ghats, Kerala monsoon, some really bad roads in this trip. Hope all goes well. Will keep you all posted.

I know its risky to take the plunge in the new car. But, have decided to do it. I have also got RSA numbers and all Mahindra Service Manager numbers enroute

Trust, the car will come out with flying colors! Lets see..

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 21st June 2012 at 13:58.
Old 21st June 2012, 15:24   #505
BHPian

Quote:
The clutch/pressure plates were not at all damaged. They said the reason they replaced them because the whole design of the clutch has changed. They even changed the cover of the clutch assembly.
Yes the message came after the pedal lost pressure.
Hey Rohit,

I am the Owner of Nov 2011 XUV and I do not have any clutch issues till now. I Have used the car for 10K+ Kms , however if there is a new design I would like to change mine to the newer one as-well. So did they tell you or can one proactively ask them to replace it?

Also has any one else replaced the clutch assembly? Please update your experience.

Also how do I make sure my clutch assembly is changed? You said the cover also was changed can you share a Picture of the new Cover? It will help other owners as well.

Thanks
Shai100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 15:51   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I am taking my car in the next 2 hrs and straight driving it for 2000kms round trip and coming back to Chennai only by Wednesday. The car will see some ghats, Kerala monsoon, some really bad roads in this trip. Hope all goes well. Will keep you all posted.

I know its risky to take the plunge in the new car. But, have decided to do it. I have also got RSA numbers and all Mahindra Service Manager numbers enroute

Trust, the car will come out with flying colors! Lets see..
All the best for the trip Satya,

I'm sure it will be fun ride on highways. Drive carefully and try to be within 2.5K RPM (occasional stretch to 3K+ for a few seconds will be good too) most of the time, keep varying RPMs in all the gears whenever you get an opportunity. Dont be too aggressive on gas or break paddle for the first 1K kms, judge the things ahead of time and let the breaks bed-in well and you should be fine by the time you start your return journey. Wish you a many happy miles with the new ride.

Regarding the clutch issue, keep checking the fluid level for the break+clutch (which is a single container) for a level somewhere close to max mark as frequently as you can, I'm suggesting this since we have heard that this is what caused the clutch issue, correct me guys if thats not right.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100 View Post
Hey Rohit,

I am the Owner of Nov 2011 XUV and I do not have any clutch issues till now. I Have used the car for 10K+ Kms , however if there is a new design I would like to change mine to the newer one as-well. So did they tell you or can one proactively ask them to replace it?

Also has any one else replaced the clutch assembly? Please update your experience.

Also how do I make sure my clutch assembly is changed? You said the cover also was changed can you share a Picture of the new Cover? It will help other owners as well.

Thanks
Is there an easy way we can find out if the clutch design is old one or the new one that M&M is replacing - visual observation or something, a good identification shall give some peace of mind I guess.

Last edited by Ketan : 21st June 2012 at 16:16.
Old 21st June 2012, 15:56   #507
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Is the mentioned problem still persisting? I think there should be no change in the free play at any rpm. Free play is due internal dynamics of the master cylinder. Would recommend that you drive it for a while before you take it back to M&M chaps.
Old 21st June 2012, 16:04   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
All the best for the trip Satya,

I'm sure it will be fun ride on highways.

Regarding the clutch issue, keep checking the fluid level for the break+clutch (which is a single container) for a level somewhere close to max mark as frequently as you can, I'm suggesting this since we have heard that this is what caused the clutch issue, correct me guys if thats not right.
Thanks Ketan. Stuck in some office work and will get delayed to take the vehicle.. may be by 5.30pm types.

and reg. clutch and brake oil, I will check as frequently as I can to check the level. I think thats a good thing to do..
Old 21st June 2012, 16:36   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai100

Hey Rohit,

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA

Is the mentioned problem still persisting? I think there should be no change in the free play at any rpm. Free play is due internal dynamics of the master cylinder. Would recommend that you drive it for a while before you take it back to M&M chaps.
@Shai100 it's better to get it replaced proactively. Please see my post in this thread on 15th June. It has all the parts that were changed. You can spot the cover at the bottom of it.
@PGA , They say allow some time to get it self adjust. I will drive for another 1500km and my third service will be due. Will report if the play is sill there.
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:04   #510
BHPian

Took the vehicle Thursday (21-Ju-12).

Today the odo reads 1011kms and the Car stands tall in Yercaud without any issues. Tried to get her within 3000RPM during the trip (Cruise speed of 140-150kms) and occassional bursts of 190s. No issues like pulling to left or squeaks or what so ever it is.

Absolutely brilliant car. One word. Today will be travelling towards Madurai and Thekkady to add another 1500 kms..

I am fine with the brakes. It has a long play but am ok with it. There is some grinding noise at slow speeds, but high speed braking/panic braking is fine (no grinding noise at high speeds).

Ghats in this vehicle is good. I am saying this in relative terms to My Linea T-Jet.

All in all, One brilliant vehicle from Mahindra.
Sathya_sc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks