Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 21:51   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhileshgrover View Post
What is the city average that folks are getting in Bangalore? I stay in a congested part of the city and the screen shows me a constant 9. Did a tank to tank manual comparison, and I got a dismal 8. I drive with a/c on all the time and use the micro hybrid on and off. On enquiring with the rm, he said 8 is what is everyone is getting in Bangalore. Wanted to revalidate it with users in the group.
My IS version is showing 3.07 or so and it started showing around 5kmpl from the day one, it keeps increasing slowly every day, every drive. Yesterday, I went on a bit longer drive, about 300kms and it from 13.5 to 15, it still shows about 15.x now.
I have done around 575kms now and the fueal guage shows at half, I'm very happy seeing that guage, but dont want to believe it until I calculate full tank to full tank, thats how I do the calculation every single time, got an app for calculating that way and it shows almost correct figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Here is my first contribution to this thread:

Today morning the clutch pedal dropped to the floor when I was changing gears. Since this happened in the basement, I called for help to move the car from the main driveway. One of the chauffeurs who was standing nearby came to my help and after he pressed the breaks and clutch pedal couple of times the clutch was back in the normal position and I was able to take the car out of the basement. Would be taking the car to Sireesh to diagnose this issue. I did not see any fluid on the floor and the break fluid reservoir is a little below the maximum mark.

-- Wind
Thats not good, I guess yours is May2010 vehicle (C6E) and I'm in impression that most of the issues are fixed in May2010.
I'm very happy with the vehicle and performance for past one week now and dont really want to end the honeymoon, at the same time, also scared about all the issues I have been hearing about!

Today, I have been to the service station to get the wheel alignment done, I felt it was the famous issue where its dragged towards left. They interchanged the tyres in front and he said he did some more, went on a test ride with the mech and told him that its definately lot better than before but somehow I still feel very minute drag, he said its because of fwd, I didnt want to buy that but I kept quiet and told him it surely looks better, will check and come back to you.

I havent faced the break, clutch or any issues so far and hopefully will continue to enjoy that way.

I'm, however driving with lots of care, no hard breaking, no rapid acceleration, want to give some bead-in time for breaks while i'm breaking her in, also try to take it from low to high range of RPMs in each gears, stay there for a little while and come back, get to do these when I come back home late in the night.

I too felt that break is a bit soft when I was breaking on highway, this could be because I'm avoiding hard breaking and judging the situation well ahead of time (ladies sortta driving) so not really able to identify issues if there are, but once on highway, I felt its soft and could see a good breaking effect only after depressed the paddle further more.. all-in-all its been a good experience so far, hope not to see many issues, if they show up, I'm ready to work, just set those expectations clear for now.

one more question!
Does the reverse sound feature available to W6 folks! the mech told me its only for W8 folks and you wont get it, I told him that it can be activated with the latest firmware that you guys have but he said you have the latest (3.07)already.
Old 18th June 2012, 22:09   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan

one more question!
Does the reverse sound feature available to W6 folks! the mech told me its only for W8 folks and you wont get it, I told him that it can be activated with the latest firmware that you guys have but he said you have the latest (3.07)already.
I have W6 and in the second service last month the ecu was flashed, from then on the reverse sound feature is working. I really don't understand why these service guys insist on feeding us wrong information. Totally damages their credibility, the average car user these days is definitely better informed these days.
Old 18th June 2012, 23:10   #483
BHPian

Today while coming back from office HU firmware crashed again. So my RMs argument of all HU issue fixed in latest firmware is not really true. Went to the service center again as it was on the way. RM was on sick out today (poor chap).

After explaining the issue to a lady in counter she send two technicians. In no time they come up with the solution. Software update. When I said that was already done this Saturday they looked each other murmured something and ripped apart the entire center console in no time. I asked them what exactly they are doing one of them said they are trying to find out some label . Ultimately they did a hard reset of the HU and said the issue fixed.

While all these happening I saw another vehicle with gear box lowered and clutch assembly ripped apart(3rd one I am seeing in last two visits). When I asked to the mechanic who as hammering some of the parts down about what was the issue with the car he said its clutch got some problem. Jovially I asked him so when are you changing mine. He then asked me is the clutch very hard or any smell coming after repeated use of clutch. I said hardness is there but no smell, he immediately responded no need of changing now. The the recipe is Hard left foot and smell. What a systematic trouble shooting by M&M. Out of curiosity I just checked VIN of that car on the rear window sticker, to my horror it is a May manufactured car.

So what my RM said about may batch cars having clutch issue fixed in factory is a plain lie. So I am mentally prepared for the worst: Brake open the clutch assembly. The only question remain is when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Here is my first contribution to this thread:

Today morning the clutch pedal dropped to the floor when I was changing gears.

-- Wind
You just experienced the M&M new innovative feature called auto slave cylinder bleeding aka leaking on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
The customer care person who accompanied us was saying this was due to the ABS /EBD features and we will get used to it once we start driving the XUV regularly. Plus his additional comment that this was how brakes feel on vehicles in foreign countries and we indians need to get used to it.
One other reason was that the vehicle had not been serviced till date. Also claimed that if required the braking could be hardened a to suit our preference.

HotChillyPepper : reading your comments, it means I should be expecting the same brake issues with my XUV when it comes...

FundaG
This is exactly same thing the RM tried to sell me. I told him I can bring in 3 different vehicles with ABS , EBD and he can drive it and tell me the brakes behaves the same way. He just stopped the nonsense right there. Another funta given to me by a service person is that the pulling to left is because car is front wheel drive. No words what to say. Now they are trying to explain that XUV is so high tech that its customers are not able to understand it.

-HCP.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 18th June 2012 at 23:12.
Old 18th June 2012, 23:25   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post

This is exactly same thing the RM tried to sell me. I told him I can bring in 3 different vehicles with ABS , EBD and he can drive it and tell me the brakes behaves the same way. He just stopped the nonsense right there. Another funta given to me by a service person is that the pulling to left is because car is front wheel drive. No words what to say. Now they are trying to explain that XUV is so high tech that its customers are not able to understand it.

-HCP.
I was told this exact same thing today, I didnt even know how to argue on such a silly thing, that too with this mech. guy. I kept quiet and kept telling him that its better but still need some improvements.

what time were you there HCP! I left the place around 1215 or so. I saw a few XUVs around at that time, I saw some huge parts being carried arond, but dont really know what was it!
Old 19th June 2012, 00:04   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA

I was wondering about the lack of symptoms prior to clutch failure.

If the low brake oil warning came on when the clutch failed, it implies that brake oil leaked out of the slave cylinder. One will be able to see the traces of such a leak on the cylinder or at the bottom of a parked car, Rohit did you check the state of the cylinder that was removed from your vehicle.

As per my understanding, slave cylinder is operated by master cylinder and it finally presses the forks to release the pressure/ clutch plates. If it has malfunctioned then why did your clutch and pressure plates get damaged.

Invariably failure of slave cylinder is noticed as it causes sponginess in the clutch and gear changing becomes difficult. Did you notice anything. What was the state of clutch plates? Were they burnt out!

Thanking you in anticipation
Regards
The clutch/pressure plates were not at all damaged. They said the reason they replaced them because the whole design of the clutch has changed. They even changed the cover of the clutch assembly.
Yes the message came after the pedal lost pressure.

Last edited by rohitbagai : 19th June 2012 at 00:07.
Old 19th June 2012, 02:36   #486
Senior - BHPian

We took delivery of our XUV5OO in Mumbai yesterday. After going through this thread I feel it makes sense to post it here than the official review thread. As the car (or XUV) would not be driven by me on regular basis, I am keeping my fingers crossed wrt clutch and brakes and praying that situation need not arise for me to post something on this thread.

We are also planning to go for Illuminated Scuff plates, but little worried about the capability of the electrician, can someone share the price and suggest a dealer to get it installed safely though the car is bought from NBS Int'l.

PS: A casual search on Carwale shows up around 40-50 XUVs on sale throughout India. So a diehard fan can get it off the shelf and that too with 0 reading on the ODO.

Last edited by carwatcher : 19th June 2012 at 03:02.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:32   #487
BHPian

Taking delivery of my XUV by this Thursday and going on a long trip the same day. First thing I checked was all the Service centers enroute in anticipation of a clutch failure :-)

What a way to plan the vacation and a drive in the new car!!
Old 19th June 2012, 11:39   #488
BHPian

Hello team any issue reported on wiper? while coming back from goa one of left side wiper stop functioning and when i check with m&m road side assistance they suggest to me to visit nearest dealer but unfortunately engineer don't have no clue how to fix it and later he told sir this car launch in goa very recently and we don't have part to fix this wiper and i took risk to drive car from goa to Bangalore with one wiper.
Old 19th June 2012, 12:49   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Taking delivery of my XUV by this Thursday and going on a long trip the same day. First thing I checked was all the Service centers enroute in anticipation of a clutch failure :-)

What a way to plan the vacation and a drive in the new car!!
Try to avoid the long drive unless you have to. Its better to break-in new vehicles off the highways.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:12   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
What were the 18 issues?
Sorry for the delay Raj.. Here is the list.. some are big, some small issues.

Vehicle delivered in November 2011.

Clutch assmebly issue(Heavy) -Fixed – Replaced the entire assembly
Defective tire pressure sensors -Fixed - 2 sensors replaced
Defective Headlight assembly -Fixed – LED (both replaced)
Defective suspension (rear assembly) - Fixed – tweaks done to suspension
Grinding noise from brake -temporary fix - pads changed
Ineffective brakes -temporary fix - pads changed
Outside air entering cabin (including dust) -not fixed, not accepting my complaint
Parking sensor doesn't come up while shifting to reverse - fixed - sensors changed somewhere
Wheel alignment isses in front wheel- fixed
Steering off center- fixed
Bonnet Open message keeps coming up- not fixed, don't have any hope
Tires worn out in 3 months- Fixed – Both rear tires replaced
Noise from center console. - not fixed, don't have any hope
Scraping noise from engine - shifting from 1st to 2nd -fixed
Hill ascent warning display comes up automatically -not fixed, don't have any hope
Jarring speaker @Front door left side from Day 1 - not fixed, don't have any hope
Scraping noise from front wheels- fixed
sheelapratosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 16:40   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Try to avoid the long drive unless you have to. Its better to break-in new vehicles off the highways.
I felt that Clutch will hold good for atleast a few hunderd kms and hence decided to take the XUV and leave my T-Jet behind. It is also a better idea to take my Linea which is niggle free..

Man, this is the first time in my life I am scared to take a car out which is meant to be an excellent highway cruiser.

Sheetalpratosh, Did you ask for a proactive replacement of clutch? How did you know that the clutch was faulty.. May be we should all use the same means to get it replaced proactively..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post

Clutch assmebly issue(Heavy) -Fixed – Replaced the entire assembly
Did you ask for a proactive replacement of clutch? How did you know that the clutch was faulty.. May be we should all use the same means to get ot replaced proactively..

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th June 2012 at 17:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 16:56   #492
BHPian

Just saw this XUV500 ripped apart in Marathahalli Sireesh A*S*S to check AC leakage...hope A*S*S find it quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-19062012071.jpg  

supratim07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 16:56   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Did you ask for a proactive replacement of clutch? How did you know that the clutch was faulty.. May be we should all use the same means to get ot replaced proactively..
Ok. I was a sedan user all along. After getting the XUV, I found it hard to believe that a clutch could be so demanding (heavy..).

I had a series of exchanges with the Mahindra folks (by email and by phone..). Finally they agreed to replace my kit. Not sure how many of you can do the same thing - It was really painful to justify/edcuate them that the clutch was not alright. Since every replacement costs money to them, they will not accept replacements so easily.. That too, a clutch replacement take a lot of time for XUV..

That said, I would't recommend you to ask for a "anticipatory" replacement .. Its catch 22 anyways..
Old 19th June 2012, 16:59   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt that Clutch will hold good for atleast a few hunderd kms and hence decided to take the XUV and leave my T-Jet behind. It is also a better idea to take my Linea which is niggle free..

Man, this is the first time in my life I am scared to take a car out which is meant to be an excellent highway cruiser.
I think, nothing will be going to happen.
Never all cars have the same issue. As i heard from a lot, After Apr12 Batch cars are problem free.
I too gone to Velachery Mahindra Showroom for XUV5OO AWD W8 booking.
But still they are not keen on taking AWD booking and they don't have any idea, when it'll be opened too.
I am waiting for them to call, if they start booking, I have a mind to book AWD in Black as of now
But anyday if someone read this thread, Definitely they won't plunge their Hard Earned Money in XUV5OO.
Old 19th June 2012, 18:28   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Ok. I was a sedan user all along. After getting the XUV, I found it hard to believe that a clutch could be so demanding (heavy..).

I had a series of exchanges with the Mahindra folks (by email and by phone..). Finally they agreed to replace my kit. Not sure how many of you can do the same thing - It was really painful to justify/edcuate them that the clutch was not alright. Since every replacement costs money to them, they will not accept replacements so easily.. That too, a clutch replacement take a lot of time for XUV..

That said, I would't recommend you to ask for a "anticipatory" replacement .. Its catch 22 anyways..
The guys who already replaced the clutch assembly, can you please provide a feedback on how do you compare the clutch behavior after the replacement?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks